Dr. A ♥ O

"Put me a list with the really necessary things we need in our place."

163 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I found out about the health insurance from my Study Abroad adviser. I will need to show the University proof of health insurance. They have certain specifications to talk to my current health insurance about for study abroad requirements I guess? There is a form I need to get online when it's time.

When I was there Waleed could get me pretty much anything at the Pharmacy. Only one time he couldn't get me something and that was Xanax for the plane ride home to knock me out and reset my clock. One of the RN's at the hospital gave me some for the plane ride over and it put me right to sleep but really it's like a psychiatric drug to calm anxieties I guess? I'm not really sure. All I know is 4 mgs makes me sleep 8 hours blackout which is great when you're sitting between screaming babies. Which I happened to be on the horrible ride back. I didn't sleep the whole time on the Egyptian sleeping pills I had to opt for instead. ha! No fair against screaming babies but I'm sure the Xanax would have done the trick. Since Xanax is a psychiatric drug the pharmacist told my Husband and I that we had to have a real prescription from a Psych Doctor which was near impossible to find. Interesting no?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I found out about the health insurance from my Study Abroad adviser. I will need to show the University proof of health insurance. They have certain specifications to talk to my current health insurance about for study abroad requirements I guess? There is a form I need to get online when it's time.

When I was there Waleed could get me pretty much anything at the Pharmacy. Only one time he couldn't get me something and that was Xanax for the plane ride home to knock me out and reset my clock. One of the RN's at the hospital gave me some for the plane ride over and it put me right to sleep but really it's like a psychiatric drug to calm anxieties I guess? I'm not really sure. All I know is 4 mgs makes me sleep 8 hours blackout which is great when you're sitting between screaming babies. Which I happened to be on the horrible ride back. I didn't sleep the whole time on the Egyptian sleeping pills I had to opt for instead. ha! No fair against screaming babies but I'm sure the Xanax would have done the trick. Since Xanax is a psychiatric drug the pharmacist told my Husband and I that we had to have a real prescription from a Psych Doctor which was near impossible to find. Interesting no?

Very interesting. I just take 4 tylenol PM's and I'm out like a light! :P But I'm sure there are other pharmacies there that would just dispense it ;) Who knows... I'm the same way on planes...snoring, babies, children, chatters all drive me bonkers. I fly with the babies at night so they will sleep through the flight most of the time. I don't have a plan yet for when they are toddler age...perhaps duct tape? :bonk:

Tylenol PMs 2-3 works like a charm for me going over. I am awake the first 2-3 hours then out like a light the rest.

Xanex, I have needed if for anxiety but it makes me too darn tired :huh:

Even after sleeping with a xanie i still feel dazed and groggy the next day or after I wake..I dont really feel rested

Great thread here you've started! Definitely made me laugh! I suppose one of the better ways of dealing with home sickness and culture shock is to not try too much to recreate the US in your new home - it will just disappoint you probably and drag out the adjustment. Maybe take some essentials for when you need a treat or a pick-me-up but otherwise try to see the bright side of discover new "equivalent" (or not so equivalent) egyptian parts of life! That being said, I can't help but weigh in!

Fully agree on the taco seasoning and chili powder, peanut butter, and a huge Bisquick package! (Though I've kind of given up on the whole making California style Mexican food in other countries - it usually just ends up being really expensive and kind of disappointing- I have to admit my "soft tacos" made of breadlike tortillas, beans, fresh salsa and cheese WERE a big hit with rahim's family last summer! (see picture)!! and it's something different so people will be usually be excited you cooked it and not as critical as if you try to cook a local tradition!)

One other thing that has sparked a minor addiction-pandemic: those premade packs of Italian salad dressing that have there own carafe? You know the powder packet you just add vinager water and oil ? I never thought they were very special but my fiance is totally addicted and now most of his family and friends have gotten turned on to them as well - I bring at least fifty packets everytime I leave the US!!

I know at least in Algeria there is a lot of worry these days about off-brand products, especially from China. Most of them are of decent quality but for anything intimate or for kids (baby powder, diaper creme, kids toothpaste), it's probably worth bringing from the US just to be safe...On the other hand I would say don't bother taking shampoo or conditioner with you - the quality you'll get there will be fine and comparably priced and it's not worth the extra weight considering you'll be there for quite a long time and run out eventually anyway!

A few other things I would add that I didn't see posted yet: high quality sunscreen (high SPF if you need it and the non irritating face kind if you need that too); some good and also some crappy/mindless books in English (also helps with the home sickness); nice stationary and envelopes/cards if you write?; film; any electronics you might want around the house (like an MP3, DVD player, etc. if you have room!).

on TOILET PAPER, coincidentally I just saw this article today before reading your posts about missing soft American paper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009...et-roll-america ha ha!

Best of luck to you !

post-49363-1236114636_thumb.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Too Funny! I tried the SAME EXACT THING! Xanax for the trip home... and nope, couldn't get one and actually nearly got in trouble asking for it! They thought I was some kind of American addict! Especially since I had previously asked for Flexeril for my stiff neck...

Nothing works better for me when flying... so now I take enough for a "round trip"... I did find something called "Relax" didn't do a flippin' thing...

Be sure to find out the generic names for the drugs you want because brand names are TOTALLY different for many drugs in Egypt.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
A few other things I would add that I didn't see posted yet: high quality sunscreen (high SPF if you need it and the non irritating face kind if you need that too); some good and also some crappy/mindless books in English (also helps with the home sickness); nice stationary and envelopes/cards if you write?; film; any electronics you might want around the house (like an MP3, DVD player, etc. if you have room!).

on TOILET PAPER, coincidentally I just saw this article today before reading your posts about missing soft American paper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009...et-roll-america ha ha!

Best of luck to you !

Oh my you are SO right about sunscreen! It costs a fortune there and who KNOWS how old and expired it is.... they say it degrades in less than a year and should be tossed... at the price they sell it for, it might be 5 years old!

I found Kirkland brand (Costco) toilet paper in Egypt... if you have the $$$ no problem with toilet paper... I used to bring "flushables" until I found out that most Egyptians don't even put toilet paper IN THE TOILET so no WAY did they want me putting flushables in there... And they have nice little packets of "wet ones" at Carrefour. Always Always Always carry your own TP or wipes in your purse....

It's a shame about the 220 watt power... makes taking electronic things pretty worthless.... What WERE they thinking... everyone KNOWS 110 is the ORIGINAL! ;)

It's a shame about the 220 watt power... makes taking electronic things pretty worthless.... What WERE they thinking... everyone KNOWS 110 is the ORIGINAL! ;)

I beat the wattage problem! I bought adapter plugs from the light store down the street for 1.5 LE each.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I beat the wattage problem! I bought adapter plugs from the light store down the street for 1.5 LE each.

that only adapts the plug, not the voltage. good if the item is dual voltage, but if not, a 110/120 item would need a transformer to step down 220 to 110 (and then you still have that pesky cycle problem, usa is 60 cycles, europe is 50 cycles, so clocks can run but lose time).

random site found on transformer search

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

that only adapts the plug, not the voltage. good if the item is dual voltage, but if not, a 110/120 item would need a transformer to step down 220 to 110 (and then you still have that pesky cycle problem, usa is 60 cycles, europe is 50 cycles, so clocks can run but lose time).

Well I dunno about all that technical stuff, but I do know I can dry my hair and charge my gadgets and, to me, that's what matters. :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well I dunno about all that technical stuff, but I do know I can dry my hair and charge my gadgets and, to me, that's what matters. :dance:

here's another tip - rough rule of thumb when buying a transformer. voltage times amps = approximate wattage.

i.e. 110 volts, 2.5 amps = 275 watt or greater transformer needed.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

My Husband bought me an appliance converter as well while I was there. I did leave a red bag behind full of summer clothes and necessities because I thought I was coming back that summer not three summers later. :(

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

:wacko:

i agree on sunscreen issue and even here I won't deviate from the more popular brands that really work to use something cheaper that only results in less quality.

:thumbs: GREAT ARTICLE

you guys are really so knowledgeable, :blush: I am really not so conservative as far as our environment. I had a bout of recycling glass, plastic, aluminum and paper but eventually fell to the wayside, right now I am just trying to keep my watchful eye on my energy, gas and money consumption :whistle:

Olivia dear, I think you have to add a clothes shopping spree to your list of things to do :dance:

Edited by sandrila

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

How many days now, Olivia ? I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's a must for any type of sinus problems ! The nasal rinses, here's the one I use Sinus Rinse It's like a netti pot but easier to use and comes with pre-measured salt packets. When I was in Morocco, I was wishing I had one of these as I was blowing sand and dust out of my nose :blink:

I would also suggest you get some Antibiotics to bring with you although you probably won't have a problem with your hubby being a doctor.

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

I don't know about the pots and pans, the ones I've seen there are CHEAP, I would definitely bring your nice saute pan if I were you. I almost brought my 12 incher when I did my last 3 week trip to Jordan because I hate cooking my eggs and such in those cheap aluminum pans. Also, I personally like to shake my salt and pepper, so if you do too then you should bring shakers. Bring a spatula for sure...

What should he get? hmm :) if I were making a list, I'd say dishwasher, washer and dryer, water cooler.... and definitely a stove and oven with automatic ignition but that is totally wishful thinking. You never knew how wonderful you had it. All the things we take for granted and people there never imagine to use it....

Oh yah and if you are there for the summer, AC and fans are necessary, FREAK OUT if you don't get those, because you might die....seriously. Well at least I almost did WITH them, but I'm a northerner. Oh yah, and tell him to set up a shower curtain (he'll probably have no idea what that is unless he's stayed at american hotels), can you imagine they take showers all exposed... the steamy heat evaporates into nothing it's so awful.

Don't forget your shipship... ;) have fun.

Marriage : 2008-07-03

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-03

Dec 22 2008 Transferred to California Service Center

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-12

NVC Received : 2009-1-16

Officially in AVR : 2009-1-17 emailed scanned DS 3032

DS 3032 generated and accepted via email/ AOS I-864 generated : 2009-1-23

Received I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Pay IV Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Send Completed I 864 and IV Package (overnight) : 2009-2-4 (had to wait for hubby's PC and original birth certificate to arrive)

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-2-11 !!!!

NVC Left : Received email March 3rd

Medical Completed : March 12, 2009

Interview Date : April 22, 2009. 8 am. VISA APPROVED!!!

Visa in Hand : April 27th, 2008!!! Arrival May 11th! POE JFK

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 101 days from your NOA1 date. NVC completed in 26 days! Interview was 201 days from Noa 1.

Timeline

:dance:66 days! I'm afraid to try those netti pot things. Waleed is on his "break" now. The last one before his release. It's not really a break. He got one day break and then they sent him to the military university for 12 days in cairo. He said he did this round 9 years ago. At least he gets to stay at home during this time so it's sort of a semi-break. He sent me some pix of him working on stitching up a guys finger. Gross. :dead:

It is my Spring Break now and there is so much to do before graduation like ... packing!! I'm going to wrap up my room this week. Only nine weeks left so I better get on it.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.