Dr. A ♥ O

"Put me a list with the really necessary things we need in our place."

163 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, on the subject of homesickness... I think the newness wears off in different lengths of time for different people. Alot has to do with 1) Your relationship with your husband 2) Your support system of other Ex-Pats if you don't speak arabic, or have a lot of English speaking Egyptian friends and family.

I have alot of American/Canadian friends, alot of English speaking Egyptian friends/relatives, and my arabic will get me by in social settings... and I always do well for a month or 2. Then I get frustrated... it's not so much homesick as just tired with dealing with the way things go in Egypt. It seems to me that everything there is just plain DIFFICULT. From walking on the sidewalks (too dangerous! walk in the street and dodge cars, safer) to taking a shower... (what WERE they thinking when they put the shower head in the MIDDLE of the tub facing the floor!!)... Wet floors, noise, noise, noise, pollution, smokers everywhere... meat hanging in the street covered with flies... YUM!

I read you will be going to AUC, that will give you a HUGE boost... you'll have lots to keep you busy, meet lots of new people!

I guess for me the "charm" for the most part wears off a little quicker each trip... if it wasn't for the people I DEARLY LOVE and MISS I could go once every 5 years. But they can't come here... so I go there...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yep we're moving to New Cairo and looking for an empty flat for around $350. I guess he is going to meet me tonight to discuss all the details to lay our plan for the next 8 months together. This is exciting! :dance: And getting to go to the University and continue my study in Egypt is exciting. These are the days we're going to tell our children stories about someday! :D

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Timeline
Well, on the subject of homesickness... I think the newness wears off in different lengths of time for different people.TRUE, I WAS STILL IN "LOVE BLISS" ;)EVEN AFTER 2 YEARS!

Alot has to do with 1) Your relationship with your husband 2) Your support system of other Ex-Pats if you don't speak arabic, or have a lot of English speaking Egyptian friends and family.I AGREE, I AM VERY SHELTERED HERE AND DO NOT HAVE FRIENDS, AND DON'T GO OUTSIDE. SO THAT'S A FACTOR FOR SURE IN MY SITUATION. I DO SEE MY HUSBAND'S FAMILY ON OCCASION,BUT THEY ALL SPEAK ARABIC..I DO UNDERSTAND ARABI, I JUST CAN'T SPEAK BACK TO THEM.. SO THAT MAKES IT A LITTLE HARDER TO SOCIALIZE.

I have alot of American/Canadian friends, alot of English speaking Egyptian friends/relatives, and my arabic will get me by in social settings... and I always do well for a month or 2. Then I get frustrated... it's not so much homesick EXACTLY.... ITS NOT REALLY HOMESICKNESS... ITS JUST EGYPT IS VERY DIFFUCULT TO DEAL WITH, BECAUSE THINGS ARE VERY UNORGANIZED HERE.. AND WE ARE NOT USED TO THE WAY THEY DO THINGS.. WE CERTAINLY DO THINGS ALOT DIFFERENT IN USA ;)

as just tired with dealing with the way things go in Egypt. It seems to me that everything there is just plain DIFFICULT. From walking on the sidewalks (too dangerous! walk in the street and dodge cars, safer) to taking a shower... (what WERE they thinking when they put the shower head in the MIDDLE of the tub facing the floor!!)... OR, HOW ABOUT THE BED'S HERE LOL, OH BOY.... YOU'D BE BETTER OFF SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR.. HONESTLY!

Wet floors, noise, noise, noise,LOL pollution, smokers everywhere... meat hanging in the street covered with flies... YUM! LOL, SO TRUE, SO TRUE!

I read you will be going to AUC, that will give you a HUGE boost... you'll have lots to keep you busy, meet lots of new people!

I guess for me the "charm" for the most part wears off a little quicker each trip... if it wasn't for the people I DEARLY LOVE and MISS I could go once every 5 years. But they can't come here... so I go there...

CAIRO IS ALOT DIFFERENT FROM ALEXANDRIA THOUGH, CAIRO IS MORE WESTERNIZED, AND YOU WON'T GET AS MARY STARES IN CAIRO AS YOU WOULD, IF YOU WERE IN ALEX... GOING TO SCHOOL WILL HELP ALSO, YOU WILL KEEP BUSY,AND APPRECIATE YOU'RE TIME WHEN YOU'RE HOME WITH YOU'RE HUSBAND.

BE HAPPY TO BE WITH THE ONE YOU LOVE, AND ENJOY YOURSELF WHILE YOU'RE HERE AND TRY TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT. JUST KEEP THINKING IN THE BACK OF YOU'RE MIND... " I KNOW I'M GOING HOME SOON, I WON'T BE HERE FOREVER" AND THAT SHOULD HELP YOU COPE A LITTLE BETTER ON THE DAYS YOU MIGHT BE HOMESICK.AND I'M SURE HUBBY WILL HELP EASE SOME OF THE SADNESS AS WELL LOL;) I OFTEN WONDER HOW MY HUSBAND IS GOING TO REACT IN AMERICA...

NORMAL DAY FOR MY HUSBAND IS: SITTING AT THE CAFE DRINKING TEA AND SMOKING , CHATTING IT UP WITH HIS FRIENDS, AND WATCHING SOCCER ON TV. ISN'T HE GONNA BE SHOCKED WHEN HE GET'S TO TEXAS AND THERE ARE NO SHISHA CAFE'S OUTSIDE FOR HIM TO SIT AT LOL

Filed: Timeline

Bring yourself a soft pillow, one of those cheapy one's from Wal-mart, that you can fold up in you're shanta lol, the pillow's here are not very comfortable. I also brought my own blankets from America, sure, they have very nice blankets here , but very expensive!

You can find anything you need here in Egypt... just as we have in America.. only difference, when you buy western type products, excpet to pay the Western price.

I have to say though, I think that you will be alot happier in Cairo, then I am in Alex... I don't care for Alex much, and I complain to my husband everyday, how much I would love to move to Cairo...

I responded to you also, above in Karmella's post... in caps lol

Edited by Jillai

Yep we're moving to New Cairo and looking for an empty flat for around $350. I guess he is going to meet me tonight to discuss all the details to lay our plan for the next 8 months together. This is exciting! :dance: And getting to go to the University and continue my study in Egypt is exciting. These are the days we're going to tell our children stories about someday! :D

Mabrook and helowa oweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

An unfurnished flat for $350, though? That's about 1900 LE, sah? Are you planning on living in a palace? :star:

Our flat - furnished right down to the teaspoons and television - is 800 LE plus electric, water, cable, natural gas for the stove, baweb baksheesh, security baksheesh, and the baksheesh to the baweb's handler. All together it's about 1000 LE. Sure, Cairo is more expensive (or so I'm told) to live in, but I also know there's some very inexpensive rentals ... there's flats in Old Cairo, which is my favorite part of Cairo, that are less than 10 LE. I'm curious why you're partial to New Cairo. Just askin'.

Olivia, culture shock is very different than homesickness. Do a search on VJ for culture shock. Someone posted a very good link and knowing THAT is what it was helped me through the worst of it.

It goes in phases. First you love it and never want to leave. Then you hate everything about it and want to run away. Then you come to a sort of acceptance. The hating everything part is how you know when the shock has hit you - hard. That's when you'll really need the support of your husband and his family and, of course, the friends you'll make at university.

Timeline

Waleed was looking in New Cairo around campus within walking distance of it and the prices are around $500-$600. The dorms are around that much. He said we could live a little further away and he would arrange transportation for me to and from school and it would be cheaper. I told him the campus has it's own bus system that travels to many places and I can buy a semester pass and take it all the time to wherever we live. He told me then we can find a place for $90 a month but much further away and certainly not within walking distance. I can't imagine a place for $90 a day. When we were there the first time we rented a furnished flat for much more than that in the "European District" as he called it. It was just by the Egyptian Stock Exchange. I guess we'll see what he comes up with.

Edited by Far2Long

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
Waleed was looking in New Cairo around campus within walking distance of it and the prices are around $500-$600. The dorms are around that much. He said we could live a little further away and he would arrange transportation for me to and from school and it would be cheaper. I told him the campus has it's own bus system that travels to many places and I can buy a semester pass and take it all the time to wherever we live. He told me then we can find a place for $90 a month but much further away and certainly not within walking distance. I can't imagine a place for $90 a day. When we were there the first time we rented a furnished flat for much more than that in the "European District" as he called it. It was just by the Egyptian Stock Exchange. I guess we'll see what he comes up with.

Are you talking $ DOLLARS or L.E. Egyptian Pounds???? Our flat in Alexandria last winter, furnished (think 1950's furniture and dollar store kitchen items...) in WINTER was 1200 LE a month ($218) And we only got that price because my husband never let the landlady know that I was American coming from America... Cairo is more expensive than Alex, except in the summer time when prices in Alex triple from June to September.

I think a budget of $500-$600 DOLLARS for a flat in Cairo should get you something really nice. On the other hand, I can't imagine what kind of job one would need to have in Egypt to make enough money to spend this amount on rent... He's just getting out of the military and going to work as a doctor? I've never known a doctor (who didn't have his own thriving well established practice) that made that much money a month...

Now the place for $90? That to me sounds down right SCARY. I can't imagine what kind of neighborhood you'd be in for that price in Cairo... :o When women post on one of my other groups that they hear they can get a flat for 350 LE in Alex my husband laughs and says, Not anywhere an American would want to live!!!! (Think 9th floor walk-up in the ghetto, shared bathroom down the hall)

Will you be at the new campus or the old one? Didn't AUC move to the 'burbs? That's right, you said New Cairo..... I can't picture which side of town that is on..

What kind of tuition will it take to go to AUC? Are you getting charged as an American or as an Egyptian???

Sounds like a major adventure! Hope you have screens in your windows and at least 2 A/C units...

Timeline
Bring yourself a soft pillow, one of those cheapy one's from Wal-mart, that you can fold up in you're shanta lol, the pillow's here are not very comfortable. I also brought my own blankets from America, sure, they have very nice blankets here , but very expensive!

You can find anything you need here in Egypt... just as we have in America.. only difference, when you buy western type products, excpet to pay the Western price.

I have to say though, I think that you will be alot happier in Cairo, then I am in Alex... I don't care for Alex much, and I complain to my husband everyday, how much I would love to move to Cairo...

I responded to you also, above in Karmella's post... in caps lol

Hey Jillai! Get over to Carrefour and check out the pillows! I got the NICEST pillow I've ever bought (except my $125 memory foam pillow) there last year for 45 LE! ($8?) I swear I tried to find a way to smash it down enough to bring it back with me, then realized how much better it would be to go back to Egypt knowing it was waiting there for me! They were European made and came with different "ratings"... I got the #5 VERY FIRM for side sleepers and it was DA BOMB! Had a heck of a time finding a pillow case to fit it, but finally did.

I get a kick out of their blankets... heavy as the x-ray shields they lay over you at the doctor's office!!! First I had trouble turning over with them on top of me, then I noticed when you turn over if you don't smack them down they leave TUNNELS for the cold air to run down!!! Lucky you with REAL blankets! ;)

What is it you like about Cairo??? Do you know people there? I don't enjoy it as much mainly because it's so much harder to get around in Cairo for us... Hubby doesn't know his way around there as well as I do! (amazingly) But even when I know where to go it takes forever to get there and the heat to me is just unbearable even in the spring!

Have you ever gone to the American Women's Club Meeting in Alex? It's on Monday mornings. (Kaffer Abdu Street in Roushdy) After club they often go to lunch at the food court in San Stefano.. you can't miss them... about 10-15 American/European women sitting in a long line scarfing down Pizza Hut and McDonalds... ;)

So now that we've told Olivia everything to take to Egypt from here, what are you going to bring BACK??? :star: I asked H to bring me some antibiotics and some more kick **S anti-inflammatory drugs for my knee, but he was too chicken of customs... :angry:

If you're there on my next trip I'll be finding you for SURE!!! :-) Gotta show you the really FUN side of Alex... :thumbs::dance::rofl:

Timeline

Are you talking $ DOLLARS or L.E. Egyptian Pounds???? Our flat in Alexandria last winter, furnished (think 1950's furniture and dollar store kitchen items...) in WINTER was 1200 LE a month ($218) And we only got that price because my husband never let the landlady know that I was American coming from America... Cairo is more expensive than Alex, except in the summer time when prices in Alex triple from June to September.

I think a budget of $500-$600 DOLLARS for a flat in Cairo should get you something really nice. On the other hand, I can't imagine what kind of job one would need to have in Egypt to make enough money to spend this amount on rent... He's just getting out of the military and going to work as a doctor? I've never known a doctor (who didn't have his own thriving well established practice) that made that much money a month...

Now the place for $90? That to me sounds down right SCARY. I can't imagine what kind of neighborhood you'd be in for that price in Cairo... :o When women post on one of my other groups that they hear they can get a flat for 350 LE in Alex my husband laughs and says, Not anywhere an American would want to live!!!! (Think 9th floor walk-up in the ghetto, shared bathroom down the hall)

Will you be at the new campus or the old one? Didn't AUC move to the 'burbs? That's right, you said New Cairo..... I can't picture which side of town that is on..

What kind of tuition will it take to go to AUC? Are you getting charged as an American or as an Egyptian???

Sounds like a major adventure! Hope you have screens in your windows and at least 2 A/C units...

Oops I made a post in the AUC thread about all the places we could look to live. I really have no idea about places to live or rent there and I trust Waleed will make a good choice in where we live. I'll be sure to mention the screens on the windows and 2 A/C units. As far as scholarships go and how I'm getting charged I get a tutition waiver. AUC charges around $10,000 USD a year, and on their website they say to make it more affordable to all US institutions they will match the tutition of your University if it is less than theirs but no more than two semesters. My University is $2,300 a semester I believe but that's not including health insurance. I wonder what I'm going to do about health insurance? So basically AUC just gave me a $7,700 scholarship to come and attend their University! :dance: That is the most I have gotten so far and I'm applying for other scholarships as well. If I have time I may do most of them over spring break.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

I wonder what I'm going to do about health insurance?

This may sound silly, but I don't know that I'd worry about health insurance, unless you have health concerns already. Really, it's cheap and easy just to go to a pharmacy and let the Pharmacist help you with any health problems you might have, unless they're serious problems. For that, I wouldn't hesitate about going back home. Once you see a hospital here you'll understand (hint: they all smell of cigarette smoke) why you'd rather go back home.

There's no need to go to a doctor to get a prescription. Actually, I don't think there's such a thing as prescriptions, just a note from the doctor to the pharmacist because it's not as regulated as it is in the US. It's possible to get anything - and I do mean anything - just by asking for it at the local pharmacy. Considering the unemployment rate in Egypt, it's entirely possible the bulk of taxi drivers are educated doctors and/or pharmacists, anyway. Driving a taxi certainly pays better.

I think Jillai can offer some insight about those ... lower rent flats. :innocent:

Timeline

Question

Should I take my blue sky country style straw hat that fits well and may be a life safer from the Egyptian sun or no it's too western?

015-1-1.jpg

016-1-1.jpg

Edited by Far2Long

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Waleed said bring the western sheets! :P Our bed is going to be like a platform bed with a single mattress that isn't the foam ones but the ones made of fibers. He thought that was a kewl idea if I brought my queen size soft blue sheets and even my soft pink jersey knit ones for the winter months there! :P

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
I wonder what I'm going to do about health insurance?

This may sound silly, but I don't know that I'd worry about health insurance, unless you have health concerns already. Really, it's cheap and easy just to go to a pharmacy and let the Pharmacist help you with any health problems you might have, unless they're serious problems. For that, I wouldn't hesitate about going back home. Once you see a hospital here you'll understand (hint: they all smell of cigarette smoke) why you'd rather go back home.

There's no need to go to a doctor to get a prescription. Actually, I don't think there's such a thing as prescriptions, just a note from the doctor to the pharmacist because it's not as regulated as it is in the US. It's possible to get anything - and I do mean anything - just by asking for it at the local pharmacy. Considering the unemployment rate in Egypt, it's entirely possible the bulk of taxi drivers are educated doctors and/or pharmacists, anyway. Driving a taxi certainly pays better.

I think Jillai can offer some insight about those ... lower rent flats. :innocent:

There were MANY medications I was simply unable to get in Egypt. For issues of privacy I will not list them all.... (and some were medications that friends asked me to check on because of the expense here...) Many heavy duty pain meds are not available, except directly from a doctor (who could have it in his clinic and dispenses it directly). I couldn't even get Flexeril for my stiff neck from the plane ride, followed by the PILLOWS FROM HELL....

Many kinds of medications for mental health issues are also simply non-existent. You can find anti-depressents, but not as many as we have here. No ADHD meds either. And I've told more than one woman who was considering moving to Egypt and revealed that she was bipolar not to even DREAM of moving to Egypt without enough meds for the ENTIRE trip, IF SHE HAD TO GO. Competent Psychiatrists are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find. Mental health institutions are straight out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest... In Arabic, with NO subtitles! :wacko:

But I agree totally that if you have the slightest hint that you are going to need hospitalization, GET ON A PLANE! In fact I bought trip insurance last time I went for an extended period that included medical evacuation. I have seen "5 Star" hospitals that I wouldn't take my worst enemy to.

Good thing you are married to a doctor... The answer to nearly ALL health problems in Egypt is Antibiotics... (UGH!) Only time I saw a very sick person who they did NOT prescribe antibiotics for, was my ex MIL and she HAD BLOOD POISONING!!!!!! Sneeze once get Zithromax.. Have septicemia and get tylenol and topical creams.... GO FIGURE.... :blush:

Here's the company I used http://www.buyinternationaltravel.com/corp...l-insurance.htm

My friend recently had her gall bladder removed in Mansoura. It cost her $1000 US for everything. About the same as my deductible and copay... ;)

Timeline
Waleed said bring the western sheets! :P Our bed is going to be like a platform bed with a single mattress that isn't the foam ones but the ones made of fibers. He thought that was a kewl idea if I brought my queen size soft blue sheets and even my soft pink jersey knit ones for the winter months there! :P

FIBER = COTTON :rofl:

Skip the sheets, take an Aero Bed... (and a helmet in case you forget and flop onto the "fiber filled" bed...

What did you sleep on during your previous trips???? Were you always in hotels? According to hubby's guesstimate 95% of Egyptians sleep on cotton mattresses... however there are definately better and worse ones... and I've slept on MAINLY the Worse Ones.... :blink:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.