Dr. A ♥ O

"Put me a list with the really necessary things we need in our place."

163 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Really? wow! I never met someone that didn't like something out of Moroccan cuisine. Never heard of the fruit mixing...What international cuisine do you prefer most?

I like Moroccan food but I prefer Gulf meals actually and some of the best cooks (of course IMO) are Palestinian women...Yummmy!! :P

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
One thing I do believe Egypt has going on is what they've managed to do with Nescafe. Who would have thought to whip it and serve it with a froth? That stuff is YUMMIE.

Girl, we do that in Argentina and at home here in the US - I use an instant coffee called Arlistan - I prefer it to Nescafe. I take three teaspoons of coffee, add my sugar and splenda, blend it with a touch of hot water to make a syrup. Then I pour in the milk and stir briefly. I put it into the microwave for 2 mins 45 secs - OMG!!! Frothy and foamy and oh so delicious!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Really? wow! I never met someone that didn't like something out of Moroccan cuisine. Never heard of the fruit mixing...What international cuisine do you prefer most?

I like Moroccan food but I prefer Gulf meals actually and some of the best cooks (of course IMO) are Palestinian women...Yummmy!! :P

"Shammi" women are considered the BEST cooks in the arab world... (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine/Jordan).... And I think Shammi Cuisine is my fav MENA cuisine.... but I'm with Nawal.. do love Gulf food too.. (except that I don't like seafood... AT ALL and they eat a LOT of it...)

But truth be told, I'm a Tex-Mex ADDICT... Should have married a Mexican, I swear I could eat it 3 meals a day... ... Instead I married someone who is always MISTAKEN for a Mexican!!! :devil:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

"Shammi" women are considered the BEST cooks in the arab world... (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine/Jordan).... And I think Shammi Cuisine is my fav MENA cuisine.... but I'm with Nawal.. do love Gulf food too.. (except that I don't like seafood... AT ALL and they eat a LOT of it...)

But truth be told, I'm a Tex-Mex ADDICT... Should have married a Mexican, I swear I could eat it 3 meals a day... ... Instead I married someone who is always MISTAKEN for a Mexican!!! :devil:

I haven't really tried real Gulf cuisine but I totally agree with you KH hehe. I could have a burrito every day...I love my dos coyotes (a "mexican" restaurant)

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We found a 2 bedroom apartment between New Cairo and Old Cairo. It's a deal he is getting and it's $90 a month. I don't know if he told them I am American. I don't think he did because the price may go up. The place is in one of the newer developments because he was saying it was like one of the newer developments they have in Hurghada. It's not within walking distance to school but it's not a far commute by taxi or bus either. I am not sure of where the area is but Waleed says that it is semi-furnished we just have to buy the appliances. I told him two AC units first. Somehow I feel he still doesn't believe me that we need two of them. I know he is thinking about money. I also told him about the washer with the spin cycle too and lots of towels. I talked with him about the Western stores that you all mentioned there where we can find things. He said he knows them and we can go there once a month as they are far but until he gets his first pay check in June we have to live tight. I told him I hope I get graduation money because I don't know what his definition of tight is. He told me buying the fridge and cooler would be first. He didn't get his last break from the military. They are keeping him in for it right now until April 30th which makes things more complicated for us. I hope he has time to get everything settled before I arrive. He will have 20 days from his release to prepare for me. Somehow though I think he is looking forward more to being released from the military and getting his life back then his wife coming. LOLZ! I don't blame him.

Should I bring presents for his family? If so what? I was thinking University T-shirts for his brothers and maybe some postcards of my campus for his Mom and Dad. I've already got a hair brush set for his little sister. I am unsure what to get his older sister or her daughters.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

We found a 2 bedroom apartment between New Cairo and Old Cairo. It's a deal he is getting and it's $90 a month. I don't know if he told them I am American. I don't think he did because the price may go up.

Whoever owns it will find out one way or another because they'll require a copy of your marriage papers. That's a good price, btw.

The place is in one of the newer developments because he was saying it was like one of the newer developments they have in Hurghada. It's not within walking distance to school but it's not a far commute by taxi or bus either. I am not sure of where the area is but Waleed says that it is semi-furnished we just have to buy the appliances.

Okay, then while you're waiting (as if you have nothing else to do), learn the taxi words you're going to need (left, right, here, straight ahead) so you can give a driver directions.

I told him two AC units first. Somehow I feel he still doesn't believe me that we need two of them. I know he is thinking about money. I also told him about the washer with the spin cycle too and lots of towels. I talked with him about the Western stores that you all mentioned there where we can find things. He said he knows them and we can go there once a month as they are far but until he gets his first pay check in June we have to live tight. I told him I hope I get graduation money because I don't know what his definition of tight is. He told me buying the fridge and cooler would be first.

Oh dear. What a dilemma. Perhaps you could meet in the middle - the refrigerator and one air conditioner? You're going to NEED the refrigerator because this is AFRICA in the SUMMER and the INSECTS will find your FOOD. I don't know how they know, but watch and you'll see that if you drop a crumb on the floor there will be a trail of ants headed toward it within seconds. You are going to want to put everything you can in a refrigerator and everything else in sealed containers.

Olivia, you're thinking about money in dollars and your husband is thinking about money in guinea. It's really easy to bring over a bunch of US currency, convert it, get 5.5 or 5.6 times what you put in back in Egyptian currency and that goes pretty far. But when you get paid in pounds there's a big difference.

He didn't get his last break from the military. They are keeping him in for it right now until April 30th which makes things more complicated for us. I hope he has time to get everything settled before I arrive. He will have 20 days from his release to prepare for me. Somehow though I think he is looking forward more to being released from the military and getting his life back then his wife coming. LOLZ! I don't blame him.

It's nice that he'll be able to close one chapter and open another, though. Yeah?

Should I bring presents for his family? If so what? I was thinking University T-shirts for his brothers and maybe some postcards of my campus for his Mom and Dad. I've already got a hair brush set for his little sister. I am unsure what to get his older sister or her daughters.

Perfume and make-up for the ladies and cologne for the men. Sure, there's plenty of that here but, as with everything else, buying it means taking the chance it might be a knockoff/fake. Real perfume would be appreciated.

How old are the nieces?

How many more days?

We found a 2 bedroom apartment between New Cairo and Old Cairo. It's a deal he is getting and it's $90 a month. I don't know if he told them I am American. I don't think he did because the price may go up.

Whoever owns it will find out one way or another because they'll require a copy of your marriage papers. That's a good price, btw.

The place is in one of the newer developments because he was saying it was like one of the newer developments they have in Hurghada. It's not within walking distance to school but it's not a far commute by taxi or bus either. I am not sure of where the area is but Waleed says that it is semi-furnished we just have to buy the appliances.

Okay, then while you're waiting (as if you have nothing else to do), learn the taxi words you're going to need (left, right, here, straight ahead) so you can give a driver directions.

I told him two AC units first. Somehow I feel he still doesn't believe me that we need two of them. I know he is thinking about money. I also told him about the washer with the spin cycle too and lots of towels. I talked with him about the Western stores that you all mentioned there where we can find things. He said he knows them and we can go there once a month as they are far but until he gets his first pay check in June we have to live tight. I told him I hope I get graduation money because I don't know what his definition of tight is. He told me buying the fridge and cooler would be first.

Oh dear. What a dilemma. Perhaps you could meet in the middle - the refrigerator and one air conditioner? You're going to NEED the refrigerator because this is AFRICA in the SUMMER and the INSECTS will find your FOOD. I don't know how they know, but watch and you'll see that if you drop a crumb on the floor there will be a trail of ants headed toward it within seconds. You are going to want to put everything you can in a refrigerator and everything else in sealed containers.

Olivia, you're thinking about money in dollars and your husband is thinking about money in guinea. It's really easy to bring over a bunch of US currency, convert it, get 5.5 or 5.6 times what you put in back in Egyptian currency and that goes pretty far. But when you get paid in pounds there's a big difference.

He didn't get his last break from the military. They are keeping him in for it right now until April 30th which makes things more complicated for us. I hope he has time to get everything settled before I arrive. He will have 20 days from his release to prepare for me. Somehow though I think he is looking forward more to being released from the military and getting his life back then his wife coming. LOLZ! I don't blame him.

It's nice that he'll be able to close one chapter and open another, though. Yeah?

Perfume and make-up for the ladies and cologne for the men. Sure, there's plenty of that here but, as with everything else, buying it means taking the chance it might be a knockoff/fake. Real perfume would be appreciated.

How old are the nieces?

How many more days?

You have just got the answers to everything huh LOL.... but no one better to ask then you.. thats for sure ;)

Timeline

35 days going on 34 in an hour and half. The nieces are 1 and 4 I remember when they were born like yesterday. I'm kinda attached to them and I haven't even met them. lolz. I've seen lots of pix of them though. Waleed said one fridge and one AC as well. My little sister in law is 13 and my older sister in law is 36. I have two brother in laws both younger than Waleed one is 27 and the other 24.

I hadn't thought about African ants or pests. What can I do about the pest control? Is there anything I need to watch out for?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

uuughhh that gave me the shivers...the ants in Morocco are 10x the size as here in the states...the mosquitos are annoying and the cockroaches love the summer time! and they fly! quick story...I went to brush my teeth and As I picked up my toothbrush, a cockroach ran out...that was the last time I left my stuff in the bathroom. Every night I made my husband inspect the room for bugs lol.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline
uuughhh that gave me the shivers...the ants in Morocco are 10x the size as here in the states...the mosquitos are annoying and the cockroaches love the summer time! and they fly! quick story...I went to brush my teeth and As I picked up my toothbrush, a cockroach ran out...that was the last time I left my stuff in the bathroom. Every night I made my husband inspect the room for bugs lol.

:lol:

I think I remember Waleed saying he hates cockroaches. I guess I will have to keep a look out too.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Seems we've finally landed on our feet for a bite.

Waleed just accepted the job in Hurghada today and we're going to be by the sea this summer! :dance: I am happy to be away from crowded Cairo. He is looking for a place for us that is a one bedroom now with standard amenities. I have 4 foreign friends there that are the wives of his Doctor friends mostly so I am even more excited to not be all alone!

Also the wedding celebration may not happen now. They say the hall in the Mosque is just for signing papers and since we already did that 2.5 years ago we might not have that. Neither of us want the noisy 5 hour celebration at a families home as we prefer the quiet 1 hour ceremony and congratulations at the Mosque. So it is not a big deal. We would just go back to our original plan of having a wedding ceremony on 11.11.2011 here in the US. He is going to stop at the Mosque and explain to them himself that since I am not Egyptian we had to sign the papers at the only place where they can make it official in the Ministry of Justice as everyone knows that is the place for foreigners to get married and see if the Mosque accepts this or not. We will see. :D

I rejoined WOMEG to hopefully find someone local to help me going shopping for native clothes in Egypt for this summer. :P

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Waleed just accepted the job in Hurghada today and we're going to be by the sea this summer! :dance: I am happy to be away from crowded Cairo. He is looking for a place for us that is a one bedroom now with standard amenities. I have 4 foreign friends there that are the wives of his Doctor friends mostly so I am even more excited to not be all alone!

Also the wedding celebration may not happen now. They say the hall in the Mosque is just for signing papers and since we already did that 2.5 years ago we might not have that. Neither of us want the noisy 5 hour celebration at a families home as we prefer the quiet 1 hour ceremony and congratulations at the Mosque. So it is not a big deal. We would just go back to our original plan of having a wedding ceremony on 11.11.2011 here in the US. He is going to stop at the Mosque and explain to them himself that since I am not Egyptian we had to sign the papers at the only place where they can make it official in the Ministry of Justice as everyone knows that is the place for foreigners to get married and see if the Mosque accepts this or not. We will see. :D

I rejoined WOMEG to hopefully find someone local to help me going shopping for native clothes in Egypt for this summer. :P

My hubby has a friend that has a hotel there and several of his friends (with their wives are there). Let me know when you arrive and are headed that way....I will email them to see if you guys can meet up (ladies of course! or couples would be fun too). :dance:

Timeline

My hubby has a friend that has a hotel there and several of his friends (with their wives are there). Let me know when you arrive and are headed that way....I will email them to see if you guys can meet up (ladies of course! or couples would be fun too). :dance:

Will do baby cakes! Not long now!

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.