Bern.

Hey fellow canucks. <3

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We got married in the heritage gardens of Bulloch Hall, an antebellum historic site in Roswell, Georgia, and childhood home to Mittie Bulloch, mother of Theodore Roosevelt. It was the hottest day of the year so far (June), the magnolia trees were in full bloom and the garden was lovely with a little archway bower at its entrance. We were married underneath the archway bower by a former JAG judge (a friend) and in the presence of my Dad and a dear friend of mine from Michigan who was my matron of honour. Her husband and daughter were also there and took pictures. We wrote our own vows. It was wonderful! Afterwards, we went to Mittie's Tearoom, a cozy little tearoom in historic Roswell for dinner, then everyone came back to our house for more celebration.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

First of all, "Congratulations" to all of you who are getting married, and to all of you who have gotten married! May your Canadian/American marriages be happy, and filled with many more happily married years to come!

What an interesting "How did you guys tie the knot?" post topic, indeed! This is my answer to that question, as follows (and written in my VJ timeline):

As long time girlfriend/boyfriend, we joked around the idea about getting married. But....

There was one catch: I had to visit him in the USA...

So several months later....

Chapter 1 "Visited": Ant travelled from Canada to see long-term boyfriend D in the USA on 2006-04-10. Ant and D being harassed at the USA/Canada border (POE: Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls) for 2 hours was 'not a picnic in the park' for them. The Immigration Officer then made Ant get a B2 Visitor's Visa Passport Stamp and I-94 Arrival-Departure Card to visit for two weeks, even though Canadians are exempt from such requirements. However, what originally was a short visit was instead a 'rainbow crossing over' into a 'lifelong visit' for Ant and D in the USA.

Chapter 1 Timeline: 2 Hours.

During the visit, we then decided at the last minute (as we were making all the arangements from beginning to end within a 3-4 days..yikes!) to "take the plunge" and "tie the knot".....

Chapter 2 "Married": Ant and D had a very small Garden/Park spontaneous elopement in the Niagara County Region of New York State USA on 2006-04-28. A memorable and lovely occasion, on the eve of D's milestone birthday. D and Ant, as Husband and Wife, happily married and living in the USA.

Chapter 2 Timeline: Together Forever!

As well, we had our honeymoon in the Finger Lakes region of New York State (for a few days) and in New York City (for a day), in May, which nice too.

Now jump ahead another 3 years, and here is where I am now, as also mentioned in my VJ timeline:

Chapter 4/5 "Expected": Ant's Pregnant! AntandD are hoping for a healthy Baby!

Baby's Estimated Due Date (9 months waiting): July 2009

Anyways, thanks for reading our story! Hope you all liked it and found it entertaining....

The Journey Continues, Our Story Continues.....

Ant (Tied the knot, and Happily Married...:)...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

we got married in our little bachelor apt. in the town where we lived. The JOP came to our place, and married us in seconds. we didn't have witnesses sadly, (hubby's family was in crisis at the time), and then went to Friendly's for icecream :) tee hee..

we did have an "unofficial" party in Canada earlier in the week. it was awesome.. :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Congrats on the pregnancy, AntandD!!

We got married in a purple Escalade in the Tunnel of Love at the Little White Wedding Chapel in Vegas. Hubby wore a Vegas shirt from Rite Aid and I wore hot pink heels. Classy.

We are planning our big fat British Canadian American Mexican wedding in Victoria, BC this summer. Our famillies wanted the whole big deal. So that is what we are doing! We are really excited about it. We are in the process of booking the ONLY mariachi band on the entire west coast of Canada.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Timeline
We are planning our big fat British Canadian American Mexican wedding in Victoria, BC this summer. Our famillies wanted the whole big deal. So that is what we are doing! We are really excited about it. We are in the process of booking the ONLY mariachi band on the entire west coast of Canada.

:rofl: that is AWESOME!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ive heard of Big Fat Greek Weddings but now I know of British Canadian American Mexican...haha. :3 I'll post like some pictures when I get them. My fiance is just headed overseas to Kuwait for a year next month..so I'm like Cat, we simply didn't want to wait xD

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We're getting married next Friday:) Little town called Yanceyville close to the VA border - his mom and stepdad live there, and my parents, brother and sister and aunt, uncle, two cousins and my best friend are coming down for it :) We are getting married in a historic courthouse by a magistrate (lovely lady). The Courthouse is gorgous and has a little garden off to the side for pictures, and a balcony I can throw my bouquet off :)

We're having dinner and the first dances at the golf clubhouse afterwards and we'll have our honeymoon 'night' in Danville VA at either the Hilton or Marriott. We're going to have a longer honeymoon when we arent so broke, and a 'reaffirmation' ceremony in Halifax for the rest of my family and friends hopefully this fall :)

<3 Jen

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

I love the hockey wedding! My friends in Minnesota got married along with 82 other couples at the Metrodome before a baseball game and it was one of the most fun weddings I have been to. Wow, the Metrodome even sells microbrews.

Like so many couples here, we had two weddings. We were legally wed in July at my office. My boss is an appeals court judge, so she was able to perform the ceremony. My aunt and uncle came down from Chicago to be our witnesses and put my parents on speaker phone so they could at least sort of kind of be there (my father is not able to travel). We had the "real wedding" in October out in Washington State. We had it in a historic mansion that is mostly used for weddings and other events with my sis-in-law acting as officiant and reading the same ceremony we had in July.

Like others have said, congratulations on your wedding!

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to see my fiancee at Christmas and we decided that we wanted to get married on Christmas day so the next day we called the court house and found a judge willing to marry us. She was wonderful. We were married 2 hours later and after a short 4 hour honeymoon, I headed back home to Canada. :crying:

I love being a Canadian.

Timeline

Met at a Jp's office and got married,lol Didn't tell any of her family-eventually told her mom---and later on we had a family wedding in RI. 99.9% of the people that attended thought it was a real wedding,lol Stil remains that way to this day!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

My wife and I got married at a Romanian-Orthodox church in Windsor, Ontario, then went up the road to an awesome convention center and partied the night away with 75 of our family and friends. Open bar and a pool table was even present in our area by special request so I got to watch my dad and uncle get all schlocked up and lean on their pool sticks :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We haven't really officially planned our first wedding - but we're assuming we'll just go to the courthouse in New York and make it official for immigration purposes then.

We're planning a relatively big wedding in Mississauga, September 25, 2010. We're getting married at my Catholic church and then planning a reception at a banquet hall with an Italian 6 course dinner for about 175 people which I'm very excited for - I love Italian wedding foods!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
We haven't really officially planned our first wedding - but we're assuming we'll just go to the courthouse in New York and make it official for immigration purposes then.

We're planning a relatively big wedding in Mississauga, September 25, 2010. We're getting married at my Catholic church and then planning a reception at a banquet hall with an Italian 6 course dinner for about 175 people which I'm very excited for - I love Italian wedding foods!!

Aww, my hometown! <3 I miss Mississauga! Which church are you getting married at? I lived there from birth to 20

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

We wanted something small, with only about 40 guests if that. We looked at many venues, and since April here is usually a beautiful time of year, we wanted something outside. We had spent two years during my visits here revamping our garden area and landscaping the backyard. We couldn't think of a better place to be married than here in the backyard!

Unfortunately, it was the coldest April 7th on record, with temps in the low 20's that morning. It was a fairly quick service with a lovely luncheon at a local eatery. The officiant made a comment that this would be a balmy day in Saskatoon!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.