daboyz

Denied in Bangkok

76 posts in this topic

How did they find out you owed the IRS? wow

All they had to do was run his S.S. number and the embassy would see all about the IRS snag-foo. Thats why they ask for Tax returns, Im sure they check them out one way or another.

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
She has to go there in about 13 hours. There's no way I could get to Thailand in that amount of time.

Does she HAVE to be?

I'm at work and can't spend a lot of time on this. But in skimming through the consular reviews for Bangkok it LOOKS like they take follow-ups on Wednesday and Monday. Did they specifically tell her to be back on Wednesday or did they give her options?

They would not and cannot deny a visa because the petitioner has a tax lean. This goes to the public charge issue. The petitioner barely showed enough 2007 income to qualify while also not simply owning the IRS money but having an actual "tax lien". The lien means the IRS has the ability to simply access the bank account freeze it and take their money, or take half his paycheck until they are paid. This is not what happened though. Showing that he has and is keeping a payment plan with them along with showing a 2008 tax return with far more income should satisfty the public charge concern.

Additional evidence of bona fides should take care of that concern. The couple actually lived together as man and wife for several months. That counts for a lot as well. Perhaps that wasn't clear in the interview but it will be now.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I note that in the Embassy Review section, there is a post from a member dated February 9 where the USC states he went into the consulate.

I am a USC & have been inside that Embassy on at least 6 occasions. I also attended my wifes interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thinking about it more. I think I became too focused on proving that I lived in Thailand for 3 years, when I sould have put more effort in to proving that I lived with her

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Thinking about it more. I think I became too focused on proving that I lived in Thailand for 3 years, when I sould have put more effort in to proving that I lived with her

That sounds like you hit it on the head! Give more more eveidence then they can handle!!!!! Everything will work out! Pull every email, chat log, cards, letters given to each other, recipts for gifts, pics, the whole ball of wax. Good luck!!!

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks mom. I'll take it under advisement.

OK - that took about 5 seconds.

Anything else?

Good lord, woman, take a chill pill. I know daboyz, he and I have been talking off and on for months, and we often joke with each other. Just trying to lift the guys spirit's some.

Maybe you should spend some time away from the computer and stop trying to read so much into the words of people you don't know.

C

Did you provide details on the debt/payment plan you have for your IRS debt? The way I'm reading it is that they're wanting more detail, re. the IRS lean, probably to see how this affects your income to see if you're still above the poverty level as required.

-P

Big sorry, brother. I would offer a few choice comments about the IRS, but there may be agents reading these posts, for all I know. Best wishes man, I hope you all can find an avenue to get this finished successfully.

CJ-G

paranoid much? why would IRS agents be trolling a family immigration forum to catch people making 'choice comments' against them?

-P

If you were joking with the OP, perhaps you should have indicated that in your post or PM'd the OP directly? These threads are here for posterity, long after daboys has cleared up his issue. If someone has this happen to them in the future, and comes across your 'joking' remark, without any knowledge that it was jokingly meant, they may be alarmed for no reason.

Maybe you should think before posting, and think of the stated purpose of VJ, "to educate and provide general information regarding family and marriage based immigration (K1, K3, IR-1 Visas, DCF, etc) for a spouse, fiance, parent(s) or other close relatives to reunite and bring together families."

-P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

In addition to the additional information re. sponsoring her, maybe you could be with her the next time she goes to the consulate. That will help secure the relationship question. Your mere presence will count a lot.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Get her the evidence and.....flood 'em with it

Good Luck :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline
She has to go there in about 13 hours. There's no way I could get to Thailand in that amount of time.

Does she HAVE to be?

I'm at work and can't spend a lot of time on this. But in skimming through the consular reviews for Bangkok it LOOKS like they take follow-ups on Wednesday and Monday. Did they specifically tell her to be back on Wednesday or did they give her options?

They would not and cannot deny a visa because the petitioner has a tax lean. This goes to the public charge issue. The petitioner barely showed enough 2007 income to qualify while also not simply owning the IRS money but having an actual "tax lien". The lien means the IRS has the ability to simply access the bank account freeze it and take their money, or take half his paycheck until they are paid. This is not what happened though. Showing that he has and is keeping a payment plan with them along with showing a 2008 tax return with far more income should satisfty the public charge concern.

Additional evidence of bona fides should take care of that concern. The couple actually lived together as man and wife for several months. That counts for a lot as well. Perhaps that wasn't clear in the interview but it will be now.

Well, I'm not sure how you know these intimate details of the petitioner's finances, unless he divulged them to you in a personal message. I suppose if it were me I wouldn't necessarily want my private financial details hanging out all over a message board, but I do think there's enough of this discussion that belongs in the open so the OP can get several opinions.

I am not a student of the Bangkok consulate. But I do recall Yodrak's wife processed through that consulate and if memory serves, there was some difficulty at that interview as well regarding the bonafides. I do not know if she received a 221(g) or if was questions at the interview itself that raised questions. I do however recall statements occasionally made by him regarding cultural behavior of his wife. Being a private woman she was hesitant to answer some questions posed to her by the CO, and this raised some concerns.

I wish he were still here to address this OP and give some insight as to what might be going on here. But I wouldn't be banging the gong about daboyz attendance at the interview if it weren't for recollections in the back of my mind about Yodrak's case and overcoming the shyness of his Thai wife to address the officers questions. If daboyz wife is similarly shy, his presence at the consulate would surely seal the deal. As he is on his way to Thailand in less than 48 hours, if his wife DOES NOT HAVE to be at the consulate tomorrow, I would surely think it would be beneficial to delay her trip there.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Dear Mr. Ference:

Thank you for your email. Please notify the applicant that she can come

to the Embassy to submit pending documents on any business Monday and

Wednesday in the afternoon between 13.00 and 15.00.

Regards,

Correspondence Unit

Ok. There it is. I'll just go with her on Monday.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Does she HAVE to be?

Well, I'm not sure how you know these intimate details of the petitioner's finances, unless he divulged them to you in a personal message. I suppose if it were me I wouldn't necessarily want my private financial details hanging out all over a message board, but I do think there's enough of this discussion that belongs in the open so the OP can get several opinions.

I am not a student of the Bangkok consulate. But I do recall Yodrak's wife processed through that consulate and if memory serves, there was some difficulty at that interview as well regarding the bonafides. I do not know if she received a 221(g) or if was questions at the interview itself that raised questions. I do however recall statements occasionally made by him regarding cultural behavior of his wife. Being a private woman she was hesitant to answer some questions posed to her by the CO, and this raised some concerns.

I wish he were still here to address this OP and give some insight as to what might be going on here. But I wouldn't be banging the gong about daboyz attendance at the interview if it weren't for recollections in the back of my mind about Yodrak's case and overcoming the shyness of his Thai wife to address the officers questions. If daboyz wife is similarly shy, his presence at the consulate would surely seal the deal. As he is on his way to Thailand in less than 48 hours, if his wife DOES NOT HAVE to be at the consulate tomorrow, I would surely think it would be beneficial to delay her trip there.

In a combination of three or more separate posts, the OP disclosed the financial circumstances cited in my post. I added to that, my knowledge of IRS liens and collection practices to formulate the response to which you replied.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.