KnightAndMagpie

Booking Flights With Pets

25 posts in this topic

I can not tell you all the rules in a cat coming from Europe, but can tell you about travel to Colombia, from USA and back. (nine months between flights) The cost to fly on an airliner is $100-$125 per flight. Some airlines want a hard carrier, and some allow soft carriers. It can travel with you if the carrier is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. On one flight, she had to go in the hold with luggage. I was HOT !!!! My cat and one bag were lost for about an hour. be prepared for stress. Yours and the cat. Watch out where your seat location is. Some have more room then others. Rabies and distemper shots at least 10 days before flight. A vet can get you the certificate you need and give the required check up. All airlines have different rules. Book early and make sure you cat is on manifest. Sometimes they only allow two pets per flight. I had three flights going to Colombia. Cost $300. Return was done as two flights and was $200. I can not refute the person who paid a couple of thousand, but that was not my case last July, 2008.

Ooh. I think I'll ensure that my cat's in the cabin for both flights, in that case...it's definite that I can't have him in the hold, not with the carrier (it's a soft carrier for in-cabin only). I'm going to aim for a window seat, I think, 'cause someone recommended them as they have greater room for yourself and the kitty cat. I'm also going to ensure that I check-in twenty-four hours before the flight in case it gets overbooked, because my friend had that problem when she was going into Europe.

Thank you!

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Magpie--

I was looking over flight combinations on a cool website that lays out all the combinations graphically with layovers, airports, segments, etc.

BA to Seattle/ Alaska Airlines to Anchorage looked good because of it being a smaller airport, but BA says they keep pets in the cargo. It is an air conditioned and heated section and they have attendants for pets. Alaska Airlines allows pets in cabin.

Continental looks good either via Houston or San Francisco because of not having to stop more than once and they allow pets in the cabin. There's also layovers in Los Angeles, but that's a bigger airport to deal with.

Look at this search (if it works to cut/paste). It's a random day in May. Notice there are 4 pages of results, not just the one showing. You can change dates by clicking modify search up at the top. Changing dates will bring up totally different options. When I was looking in June, I got alot more Continental to LAX or SFO, then Alaska Airlines to Anchorage. May searches kicked in the Houston ones. So you can play with all the options and prices. Pick a return after summer and your ticket will probably be cheaper...maybe October would be a good return, even though you're not returning. Hope this works. It's a long link. Flights

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Magpie--

I was looking over flight combinations on a cool website that lays out all the combinations graphically with layovers, airports, segments, etc.

BA to Seattle/ Alaska Airlines to Anchorage looked good because of it being a smaller airport, but BA says they keep pets in the cargo. It is an air conditioned and heated section and they have attendants for pets. Alaska Airlines allows pets in cabin.

Continental looks good either via Houston or San Francisco because of not having to stop more than once and they allow pets in the cabin. There's also layovers in Los Angeles, but that's a bigger airport to deal with.

Look at this search (if it works to cut/paste). It's a random day in May. Notice there are 4 pages of results, not just the one showing. You can change dates by clicking modify search up at the top. Changing dates will bring up totally different options. When I was looking in June, I got alot more Continental to LAX or SFO, then Alaska Airlines to Anchorage. May searches kicked in the Houston ones. So you can play with all the options and prices. Pick a return after summer and your ticket will probably be cheaper...maybe October would be a good return, even though you're not returning. Hope this works. It's a long link. Flights

This is fantastic...thank you so much! Should I book a return when I book my flight, then? I'm sure they might allow me to cancel...but good grief! The prices almost half if you book a round trip. That's really fantastic...I had to start a new search but I've got lots of options.

It doesn't look like I can include pets in the fare, though...looks like I might have to call. :: Hugs :: This is amazing, and I'm sure that flights will free up closer to May.

By the way, I can only fly after the 22nd May the earliest, but it depends on my exam schedule (which I'll get on the 24th March).

Magpie.

It's just a good planning tool for times and price comparisons. I like the visual of colored segments and the layover space in between.

When you decide on a date and airline, I would book online with the airline. Or you may have to call to make pet reservation, although when I book Continental there is a place to tick "include a pet in this reservation." Nick and I both use Continental because they have a good frequent flyer program and your miles don't expire. I flew BA twice, but you don't accumulate miles. It seems like you have to fly business/first with them to get in the miles club. BA and CO are good for London/Houston direct. Other cities will have different best choices.

Whichever airline you choose, before you book sign up for their frequent flyer program. You might as well collect all those miles.

Most book a return ticket because it's cheaper. Nick booked Sept 29 and return sometime in March so it doesn't have to be within your 90 days. Pick a cheap time of year (not summer) for the return and your ticket will be cheaper. Also I think a lot of fares go up by mid to end of May, so check that out. don't book Bean on the return.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

It's just a good planning tool for times and price comparisons. I like the visual of colored segments and the layover space in between.

When you decide on a date and airline, I would book online with the airline. Or you may have to call to make pet reservation, although when I book Continental there is a place to tick "include a pet in this reservation." Nick and I both use Continental because they have a good frequent flyer program and your miles don't expire. I flew BA twice, but you don't accumulate miles. It seems like you have to fly business/first with them to get in the miles club. BA and CO are good for London/Houston direct. Other cities will have different best choices.

Whichever airline you choose, before you book sign up for their frequent flyer program. You might as well collect all those miles.

Most book a return ticket because it's cheaper. Nick booked Sept 29 and return sometime in March so it doesn't have to be within your 90 days. Pick a cheap time of year (not summer) for the return and your ticket will be cheaper. Also I think a lot of fares go up by mid to end of May, so check that out. don't book Bean on the return.

Knight also recommended Continental as they seem to be a lot cheaper. I did think about Lufthansa but I don't know what the flight availability will be in May. I'll look into signing up with Continental's flyer program =D thankums for the tips.

I don't like the idea of sticking Bean in the hold, so BA pretty much goes out the window. Weee! :: splat ::

Hugs!

Magpie.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was clearly duped by BA and a greedy vet. Both informed me I had to have all the shots and checks etc before the cats could get their passports, and AirPets made me pay for the containers the cats flew in and for the cats to stay at the heathrow pet hotel before their flight. I wasn't even on the same flight as them ! Still. now they have their passports they can travel in and out of the USA if needed in the future.

Probably not duped, you just spoke with someone who wasn't very familiar with passengers and their pets! I spoke to 4 customer service reps at Delta and got differing information. In the end I contacted the agencies in the USA who cover all these types of questions. Got some nice reassuring emails, where all my questions were answered correctly, and had a really smooth flight over! :D

I just think people should always do their homework and not always rely on the say-so of one person, even if they are connected to the airline or a veterinary surgeon in the UK!

Edited by Magenta

I was clearly duped by BA and a greedy vet. Both informed me I had to have all the shots and checks etc before the cats could get their passports, and AirPets made me pay for the containers the cats flew in and for the cats to stay at the heathrow pet hotel before their flight. I wasn't even on the same flight as them ! Still. now they have their passports they can travel in and out of the USA if needed in the future.

Probably not duped, you just spoke with someone who wasn't very familiar with passengers and their pets! I spoke to 4 customer service reps at Delta and got differing information. In the end I contacted the agencies in the USA who cover all these types of questions. Got some nice reassuring emails, where all my questions were answered correctly, and had a really smooth flight over! :D

I just think people should always do their homework and not always rely on the say-so of one person, even if they are connected to the airline or a veterinary surgeon in the UK!

And this is why I'm asking on VJ =D. I've found Lufthansa to be really helpful in regard to pets, though...haven't called anyone else on the subject, really.

Magpie.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Good luck with finding flights! Once you've found your flights, look at seatguru.com to get the best seat for legroom for the carrier - you look up the airline and type of plane and you get a layout with comments on each seat's advantages and disadvantages. It's a great tool! I'd definitely join Continental's frequent flyer program if you go with them too, I'm on my fourth free flight :)

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Good luck with finding flights! Once you've found your flights, look at seatguru.com to get the best seat for legroom for the carrier - you look up the airline and type of plane and you get a layout with comments on each seat's advantages and disadvantages. It's a great tool! I'd definitely join Continental's frequent flyer program if you go with them too, I'm on my fourth free flight :)

Thank you! I'll have to bookmark that...I've already signed up with the program =D, so I've already got an inclination towards it.

Magpie.

I second the notion of researching yourself - I did get asked for the vet note with Air France and like Magenta said - every time I called up the airline I got different info!! Luckily because I got the rabies shot in the UK we didn't have to pay for it here :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.