35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Croatia allows dual citizenship, so I don't see a reason why I wouldn't take it.

One of the main reasons is the ability to get into and leave the US as I please.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been eligible to apply for citizenship for awhile now but I haven't done it yet... one of the main reasons is because of the cost but I am also in no rush to become a citizen.. I will most likely apply for citizenship sometime in the future..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

I do not plan to apply for citizenship. Mainly because of the oath, if I said it, it would be a lie, and I would prefer not to have to choke it out.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I do not plan to apply for citizenship. Mainly because of the oath, if I said it, it would be a lie, and I would prefer not to have to choke it out.
So...

Just keep renewing your Canuck passport, use it for travel to Canada (or if you feel inclination to go to Iran or Cuba) and US passport to re-enter US; a time-honoured system.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

I will apply for citizenship later...not after 3 years(like we suppose to) but maybe 5 or more...i will have plenty of time to decide while being on the 10 years GC when the time comes.

The main reason is that i will be "forced" (not for real)to apply is to be able to travel without any problems home and not to worry everytime or just for stopping the hassle of renewing my GC over and over...

I like being my home Country's citizen,and i wouldnt mind being an US citizen either. ^_^

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Other Timeline
Just keep renewing your Canuck passport, use it for travel to Canada (or if you feel inclination to go to Iran or Cuba) and US passport to re-enter US; a time-honoured system.

Seriously, I won't say the oath if I don't believe it

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I will because the UK allows dual citizenship and I would like to work in government like I do here.

You can correct me on this, but I'm led to believe that if you work for your dual citizen country's Government (UK in your case) then you loose your US Citizenship as a result. And that may also work the other way too.

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

The only way you can lose our UK citizenship is if you make a declaration in front of some embassy official or the like. The US can demand you swear allegiance to them, and only them, but that still doesn't mean your UK citizenship is void. Well, that's my understanding.

I am going to apply, not long now :)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You'd know I was bored today ... I guess Potentially and Intention are the keywords here ...

POTENTIALLY EXPATRIATING ACTS

Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Briefly stated, these acts include:

4. accepting employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (B) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

And Yes, I'll be going for Citizenship when the times comes ... still have an AOS interview to get through on St Patrick's Day though.

R

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You are right, from what I have been told you cannot lose your British or USA Citizenship unless you have "intention". Each country works on the assumption that you are a citizen of the country you have a passport for. This is why countries expect you to enter and leave the country with the passport of THAT country if you are a citizen. I imagine certain Government jobs would require security clearance and this may make a difference but under normal circumstances you have to make an oath in front of an official of the Govt to formally renounce a citizenship, it doesnt happen accidentally. Of course not all countries are willing to "turn a blind eye" and some dont allow dual under any circumstances.

You'd know I was bored today ... I guess Potentially and Intention are the keywords here ...

Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Briefly stated, these acts include:

4. accepting employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or ( B) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

And Yes, I'll be going for Citizenship when the times comes ... still have an AOS interview to get through on St Patrick's Day though.

R

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

4. accepting employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (B) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

R

with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship are the important words.

No problem with working as above if you do not intend to relinquish your US citizenship.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Yes I am considering not taking citizenship.

I receive a UK government service pension which because of the Tax Convention between UK/US doesn't have to be declared on a US tax return. As it is not on the F1040 it doesn't get State income tax taken from it either.

If I take US citizenship it then has to be declared on the IRS tax return and tax paid in the UK offset against US tax. However once it is done that way it also then becomes shown for State income tax. So as well as paying State income tax I could end up having to pay some Federal tax in the US. In all it might cost me several hundred dollars a month in extra tax to take citizenship.

When the accountant has finished this years tax return we are going to run the figures again as if I was a citizen and see what the difference is.

I know this is straying off topic, but since you mentioned taxes Lansbury, does this mean that my UK husband's private pension must be declared here? We having been trying to figure this out, but are coming to terms with the idea that we're going to have to go to a proper tax accountant.

Back to topic: Yes, he is planning on naturalizing because he wants to vote. Plus, since he doesn't have to give up his Britsh citizenship, its not a bad thing for him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I know this is straying off topic, but since you mentioned taxes Lansbury, does this mean that my UK husband's private pension must be declared here? We having been trying to figure this out, but are coming to terms with the idea that we're going to have to go to a proper tax accountant.

Yes it does, only salaries or pensions you receive from working for the UK government do not, as long as he isn't a US citizen as well.

He should declare it on the tax form but he can claim a credit against tax he pays in the UK. To claim a foreign tax credit I think you need to file form 1116 with your return. You can see a copy online and I found that form a nightmare to fill out.

This year I did work ours out on a copy of Turbo Tax which I was given with a view to seeing if paying an accountant was really worthwhile. We had our normal accountant do the proper return for us and he made our taxes $1196 less then Turbo Tax worked them out to be. Worth the $245 he charged to do them. If you haven't done a tax return since your husband got here and you have a foreign income of some sort to me it is well worth getting a CPA to do at least the first one so you can see what is involved, especially with the form 1116.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Yes it does, only salaries or pensions you receive from working for the UK government do not, as long as he isn't a US citizen as well.

He should declare it on the tax form but he can claim a credit against tax he pays in the UK. To claim a foreign tax credit I think you need to file form 1116 with your return. You can see a copy online and I found that form a nightmare to fill out.

This year I did work ours out on a copy of Turbo Tax which I was given with a view to seeing if paying an accountant was really worthwhile. We had our normal accountant do the proper return for us and he made our taxes $1196 less then Turbo Tax worked them out to be. Worth the $245 he charged to do them. If you haven't done a tax return since your husband got here and you have a foreign income of some sort to me it is well worth getting a CPA to do at least the first one so you can see what is involved, especially with the form 1116.

Sorry for the long delay in thanking you for this info Lansbury. We're seeing the tax accountant on Thursday since I couldn't figure out how to claim this on Turbo Tax. The Form 1116 was a nightmare. plus we couldn't determine where to declare the income. I was tearing my hair out.

My husband seems to think that he has to have the income taxed here rather than in the UK.

I don't feel like guessing anymore, so we'll shell out the money and see what happens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.