john & jean

child support

26 posts in this topic

Wow, I didn't even know there was such an agency in the RP :blink: Good luck collecting :blink:

No, there is no such agency. You have to get a judgement from the court, locate any assets, get a writ of execution from the court to seize those assets, and find a sheriff to serve and execute the writ.

I have found the Filipino court system somewhat chaotic to say the least. You could spend years trying to get a judgment. :blink:

That's true! They like to drag their feet, knowing you can't afford to pay the legal fees, and wait for the last minute to pay, if they pay at all. Sometimes, they even try and shoot the sheriff when he shows up!

Another Kano that is in business with my partner took her to court and she was able to stop everything, nothing accomplished for over a year. He finally gave up. She told him she could keep him in court, spending money, until he died. I think she might be right :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He is a USC as well and he is getting benefits from SSI so some way, some how, those benefits could be garnished.

You might try to contact a Senator or person in Congress. You'll likely talk to many people who referred you to another so you'll have to have lots of patience.

Most people give up, because it is extremely challenging. I don't think placing a lien on the bank account will help since he could simply change banks or ask for his check to be sent directly to him (so many ways around a lien especially for people who aren't working).

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

I seem to remember reading a thread on this a while back. If neither she or the child are US citizens then the US government could care less and will not get involved. If he is in RP then the RP government can garnish his earnings and even have him jailed for non payment. Of course getting that to actually happen is easier said than done. If he leaves the country then no one can enforce it. Sorry to be a downer, though your chances are better than that thread where he was in the US and the child was out of wedlock.

If they're never married or divorced then good luck. If they're still married then maybe there are some other options. Now I'm not recommending any of these options but if he's as big a looser as he sounds then they might work for you. I seem to remember a story about a USC being blackmailed and jailed for adultery, which is a crime there. His girlfriend was getting an annulment but the ex wanted a large cash payoff or he would bring up adultery charges. The USC didn't pay and went to jail. He hardly deserved it, but it sounds like this guy might. And if he's in jail then he can't change his bank account ;) Even short stint in jail might scare him into playing straight. For that matter a good beating by a gang of thugs might also do the trick, especially if the support is reasonable and he has local ties. You might also want to look into inheritance. This guy might be worth more dead than alive. Might be a better person that way too. Just a thought. Sorry if these suggestions are to non-conformist for you, but it sounds like this guy needs a little extra encouragement to behave like a decent human being.

Jan. 10, 2009 ..... I-129F sent to VSC.

Jan. 15, 2009 ..... check cashed

Jan. 17, 2009 ..... NOA1

May 13, 2009 ..... NOA2 no email - got the paper copy a week later

May 18, 2009 ..... NVC sent case to Manila

June 15ish ......... Schedualed interview after "not eligible to schedule yet" for the last few weeks

June 24ish ......... medical part 1

July 26ish .......... psyc eval...wait 3 days for results :-P

July 1ish ............ meidcal part 2

July 6 ................ Interview - Approved....whenever SLMEC gets around to forwarding our docs

I seem to remember reading a thread on this a while back. If neither she or the child are US citizens then the US government could care less and will not get involved.

:thumbs::yes:

Filed: Timeline
I seem to remember reading a thread on this a while back. If neither she or the child are US citizens then the US government could care less and will not get involved. If he is in RP then the RP government can garnish his earnings and even have him jailed for non payment. Of course getting that to actually happen is easier said than done. If he leaves the country then no one can enforce it. Sorry to be a downer, though your chances are better than that thread where he was in the US and the child was out of wedlock.

If they're never married or divorced then good luck. If they're still married then maybe there are some other options. Now I'm not recommending any of these options but if he's as big a looser as he sounds then they might work for you. I seem to remember a story about a USC being blackmailed and jailed for adultery, which is a crime there. His girlfriend was getting an annulment but the ex wanted a large cash payoff or he would bring up adultery charges. The USC didn't pay and went to jail. He hardly deserved it, but it sounds like this guy might. And if he's in jail then he can't change his bank account ;) Even short stint in jail might scare him into playing straight. For that matter a good beating by a gang of thugs might also do the trick, especially if the support is reasonable and he has local ties. You might also want to look into inheritance. This guy might be worth more dead than alive. Might be a better person that way too. Just a thought. Sorry if these suggestions are to non-conformist for you, but it sounds like this guy needs a little extra encouragement to behave like a decent human being.

Where adultery is illegal?

In the US or RP?

Because if that is the case half the country will be in jail...already especially the US side..LOL

Timeline
Where adultery is illegal?

In the US or RP?

Because if that is the case half the country will be in jail...already especially the US side..LOL

My understanding is that it is illegal in the RP and carries a not insignificant jail term. The laws and punishments there are hard core. Of course just because there are laws on the books doesn't mean the cops are in the habit of enforcing them. Prostitution and bribery are illegal too and we know how well that's enforced. However, with some connections or maybe a little of that (illegal) bribery to encourage the right people to just do their jobs, that enforcement is possible. There is at least one documented case of it.

Oh, and one or two other thoughts on leverage. Contacting(or saying you will) his family, friends, or coworkers back in the US and giving them the story might put some social pressure on him. Newspaper adds in a small (free?) local paper might work if he is from a small community. These ideas could be totally useless or perfect for you, depends on the guy.

Jan. 17, 2009 ..... NOA1

June 15ish ......... Schedualed interview after "not eligible to schedule yet" for the last few weeks

July 6 ................ Interview - Approved....whenever SLMEC gets around to forwarding our docs

:rofl:

My understanding is that it is illegal in the RP and carries a not insignificant jail term.

It may be but if they tried to enforce it I would imagine a significiant portion of the population would be in jail :P Besides, payoffs are not uncommon :lol:

Filed: Timeline

That sound like a good idea of starting of new business in RP.....giving a little extra encouragement..LOL

Timeline

For that matter a good beating by a gang of thugs might also do the trick

That sound like a good idea of starting of new business in RP.....giving a little extra encouragement..LOL

Actually it's a very old business called extortion. Gangs have been doing it for hundreds of years, and before them warlords and kings were doinig it for thousands of years and calling it tribute. It's a tried and true method of extracting wealth from anyone who is tied to a business/property and don't have as tough a gang of friends as you do. It's a bit risky but it works. Of course normally there isn't any legitimate claim to the cash, but that's the only reason I was willing to suggest it now, because it's justified.

Jan. 17, 2009 ..... NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.