panamania79

Despite the economic crisis in the USA,does your family back home still think you're rich because you live in the USA ?

59 posts in this topic

I've heard Australia is very beautiful.

Not only that. If I was from a 2nd or 3rd world country, I would get my #### to Australia or Canada. These two countries provide a lot of services to those of low socioeconomic backgrounds.

When you see people like those living in the Appalachian mountains or the ghetto after ghetto you do have to wonder what the heck is going on in a country which is supposed to be the wealthiest in the world. The one thing I cay say for certain about Australia is that someone is not going to rob me because they are hungry. Basic human necessities are provided. Yes this means rather than someone wealthy earning one billion, they take home $850 million instead and thousands of others are taken care of.

Just the other day I saw someone driving from South Carolina and he had his mattresses on the roof of his car, which was about to fly off. It looked like his belongings were also in his car. The mattresses nearly flew off so I also pulled over and helped him strap them. Even slipped him a few bucks which he was reluctant to take. Most other people obviously just didn't give a ######. This is america, we bail out banks but expect people to simply pull up their bootstraps. This is not something you will see in Australia. Certainly not something I have ever seen. The system there gives you a lot to get on your feet. Education there for example is not limited to your folks wealth but to an individuals ability and desire to learn.

Edited by Aficionado

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then moving back to Oz should be a no brainer, yes?

If we move there yet ever want to come back, I would have to go through the whole AOS process again. I am going to at least wait for my 10 year PR.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
When I go home people usually give me ####### about living in such a poverty stricken country.

:lol: You're family must think you are a total failure.

My cousins do. :jest: My folks are trying to convince us to move back to AUS. If it wasn't for the dam visa process and the thought of having to go through it again, I probably would be back by now.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Considering the house prices in Melbourne only fell like 0.8% last year, I think the Aus economy will weather the financial storm again.

One of my doctors in Panama used to go all the time.We called him Dr.Kangaroo as a joke.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not only that. If I was from a 2nd or 3rd world country, I would get my #### to Australia or Canada. These two countries provide a lot of services to those of low socioeconomic backgrounds.

When you see people like those living in the Appalachian mountains or the ghetto after ghetto you do have to wonder what the heck is going on in a country which is supposed to be the wealthiest in the world. The one thing I cay say for certain about Australia is that someone is not going to rob me because they are hungry. Basic human necessities are provided. Yes this means rather than someone wealthy earning one billion, they take home $850 million instead and thousands of others are taken care of.

Just the other day I saw someone driving from South Carolina and he had his mattresses on the roof of his car, which was about to fly off. It looked like his belongings were also in his car. The mattresses nearly flew off so I also pulled over and helped him strap them. Even slipped him a few bucks which he was reluctant to take. Most other people obviously just didn't give a ######. This is america, we bail out banks but expect people to simply pull up their bootstraps. This is not something you will see in Australia. Certainly not something I have ever seen. The system there gives you a lot to get on your feet. Education there for example is not limited to your folks wealth but to an individuals ability and desire to learn.

there are about 21,007,310 (July 2008 est.) people living in Australia and then I found this

"The first national study of homelessness since 1989 has found that more than 100,000 people are homeless on any given night in Australia. Of these, 36,000 are young people, 12 to 24 years old."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/aug2008/home-a12.shtml

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/print/as.html

there are about 303,824,640 (July 2008 est.)people living in the US

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/print/us.html

Every night in the United States about 750,000 people experience homelessness.

http://crossroadsri.org/whoweare/knowledgecenter/

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
some probably do, but my wife has done a good job of dispelling the myth that here, money grows on trees...

How ? I need some ideas :help:

The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

It is sad to know anyone has to go without decent food, in countries that pride themselves as being of the 1st world (whatever that is supposed to mean) it is shameful that some people are homeless and/or hungry or suffering ill health.

It makes one wonder why in Australia, where there is healthcare, programs to help addiction or education and forms of income to help get someone on their feet again, the numbers are so high statistically compared to the USA.

Back on topic the OP pointed to the economic crisis, which makes me wonder how many USC have been affected and will have problems petitioning for their so.

there are about 21,007,310 (July 2008 est.) people living in Australia and then I found this

"The first national study of homelessness since 1989 has found that more than 100,000 people are homeless on any given night in Australia. Of these, 36,000 are young people, 12 to 24 years old."

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Mine don't care really. I don't have much of an extended family, its just my dad, bro and grandma and they know all about our bank balance, just like I know about theirs.

Sure my brother wants me to send him $100 or so time to time, which is no biggy and before someone jumps on me, I used to give him money even back in India from whatever I earned, he is my baby brother and I like to pamper him time to time.

The reasons are very different to that of those here. Financially anyone unemployed is paid an allowance and that obviously includes almost free health care. They also receive rent assistance.

Financially, there is little reason to be on the street there. Anyone unemployed who is 'actively' looking for work receives $449.30 every two weeks. Which also does not include the fortnightly $110.20 rent assistance payment. Then you get free medical and subsidized medication, basically at $4 per prescription. As well as highly discount public transportation, a discount on utilities and heavily reduced vehicle registration. Not a million dollars but certainly more than enough to get back on your feet. For a family of two they would receive close to $1,620 per month plus $220 rent assistance.

If they decide to go to school they also receive an allowance. $750 a month while studying. Plus they are allowed to work part time as well as receive rent assistance.

What else can they do for people to remain off the streets? Keep in mind the unemployment payments referred to as a the 'Newstart Allowance' are paid indefinitely.

Causes according to census

* Domestic and family violence (22%)

* Eviction/previous accommodation ended (11%)

* Relationship/family breakdown (11%)

* Usual accommodation unavailable (11%)

* Financial Difficulty (10%)

I don't know where these supposedly 100,000 homeless are considering you will be hard pressed to find homeless people in most cities.

Edited by Aficionado

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I found that estimate of how many homeless people they are in Australia on several different sites...

The majority of long term homeless people are found in the large cities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics breaks the homeless numbers into 5 groups:[2]

* 'Rough sleepers' - people who are living on the streets, with no formal shelter at all.

* People with a space inside an Emergency shelter.

* Those temporarily residing with friends.

* Those living in Boarding houses.

* Those living in caravan parks.

Of 100,000 homeless people in Australia on census night in 2001:[1]

* 54% were Male.

* 36% were between the age of 12-24.

* 10% were under the age of 12.

* 8.5% were Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

* 23% were staying in boarding houses.

* 49% were staying with friends and relatives.

* 14% were sleeping rough.

* 14% were staying in services funded through the SAAP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Australia

Life on the streets is a maze of uncertainty and danger for Australia's army of homeless people.

"You're always worried someone's going to rob you, or beat you or set you on fire when you're asleep, which has happened on a few occasions," explains Snowy, who has been living rough for seven years.

Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has made homelessness a priority for the new Labor government. He has ordered his MPs to visit hostels for those without a home to gauge the scale of the problem.

"The turn away rate for people (at) homeless shelters is horrific," Mr Rudd told Australian television.

"Turn away rates of something like 80% or 90%. Now this is just wrong in a country as wealthy as ours."

Charities estimate there are more than 100,000 homeless people in Australia with indigenous people the hardest hit.

This transient population includes families with small children and divorced women as well as those suffering addiction and mental illness.

Some are without a place to stay for a few days, while others spend their lives looking for a safe place to sleep in doorways and parks.

Many homeless Australians are 'lounge surfers', who rely on the hospitality of relatives and friends and are always on the move.

Government agencies and charities are all working to ease this crisis.

full article here

I am sure Australia is a beautiful country but I don't think it is as perfect as you always claim...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am sure Australia is a beautiful country but I don't think it is as perfect as you always claim...

Despite the figures stated it actually IS

Someone who has been living rough for 7 years, has made some kind of choice about his own lifestyle. Homelessness sometimes occurs despite the money and services offered because of mental health issues including the overuse of mind altering substances.

Australia like America has been built with the help of immigrants and encourages the different nationalities to join and become part of the Australian way of life, although the streets are not paved with gold there are lots of opportunities there. The nation has had immigrants from all over the world and still has programs to encourage immigration from many different cultures. Of course it has its share of uncomfortable truths, but it remains (especially Queensland) great one day, perfect the next.

I am sure while many of the people on this board love America, many may think their home country has lots of additional pluses. Luckily we don't all want to live in one place, because the world would be very strange if everyone crowded into one country. I would love for more people, especially students to have the chance to live in anothers country for a limited amount of time, it certainly broadens ones outlook and changes ones views when confronted with a difference of culture and values. Our families overseas often dont have the benefit of seeing first hand the cost of living in the USA, but get a warped view from the media and US tv shows.

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Timeline

People from 3rd world countries come here because despite all the complaining we Americans do all the time,the USA is the land of opportunity.They at least have the chance of getting ahead here,they would not have such chance in their native countries.As it is and how it's been for as long as I remember in Latin America,the old money families control everything,rich foreigners own most of the businesses while the native lower middle to lower class citizens starve to death.This is SO sad.And NO, it's not because they're lazy or dumb like everybody says,it's because they don't have an opportunity.

January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Not at all. My parents and family are quite aghast that I live in an appartment, for the first time in my life, instead of a house in a gated community.

My standard of living has decreased a lot.- and I mean, A F#$#@%ING LOT.

113585420_be08f27ed9.jpg

Bolt.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!