Oasis

K1 Visa Process (Mexico)

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just got back from my trip to Juarez to see my fiancee. Since we were NOA2ers we actually got the medical and the bank deposit done on this trip. There were no problems at all doing either, the bank and the medical office (blue one) were within walking distance of one another. Not much waiting time at all for the medical, we arrived around 7:30 and were out by around 9 and came back at 2 to get the results. All they needed to see was the notice from the consulate and her passport.

Actually, the toughest part of the trip was navigating the roads on foot, pedestrians have little or no rights and the drivers are very aggressive. Also, the roads and sidewalks can be quite dangerous due to lack of maintenance. We did find one pretty nice place to eat called Mision de Guadalupe near the Holiday Lincoln(where we stayed). We also had no problems crossing to El Paso which had another great place to dine called Cafe Central. The best way to cross is by foot, then take taxis from either side of the bridge to where you want to go. Now I can just try to be patient to get this crazy NOA2 mystery solved.

:whistle::hehe:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

this information is all really helpful, thanks everyone. we're still in the NOA1 stage, but glad to know what to expect down the line.

one question: can someone confirm which affadavit of support form CDJ uses? i believe its the I-864, but i guess i wish it weren't because the other form is much shorter and easier.

another question: i read somewhere in this thread that police certificates aren't required? i am confused because on the CDJ website one document says that you need police certificates only if you have a criminal record, and a different one says everyone needs them, no matter what. can someone who has been through the process confirm?

thank you!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

March 6, 2009 Submitted I-751 paperwork

March 13, 2009 Receipt Notice

April 10, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

AOS PROCESS

Nov 16, 2006 Fiance entered US

Dec 6, 2006 Applied for SSN

Dec 14, 2006 SS card arrived

Jan 20, 2007 Married! :)

Jan 25, 2007 Submitted I-485 and I-765 applications

Jan 29, 2007 NOA 1 Receipt Notice

Feb 16, 2007 Biometrics appt

Feb 23, 2007 Application transferred to CA Service Center

April 12, 2007 Employment Authorization approved

May 30, 2007 Case approved; Permanent Resident Card issued!

K1 VISA PROCESS

June 09, 2006 Sent I-129F to Vermont

June 19, 2006 NOA 1

July 08, 2006 IMBRA RFE submitted

Aug 2, 2006 NOA 2

Aug 6, 2006 Case received by NVC

~Aug 12, 2006 NVC sent case to Ciudad Juarez

Aug 21, 2006 Packet 3 sent from CDJ to USC

Aug 31, 2006 USC recevied Packet 3

Oct 16-17, 2006 Medical exam and interview in Ciudad Juarez

Oct 20, 2006 Visa Issued!!!!!

Nov 16, 2006 We entered the US together! (El Paso POE as required by Juarez consulate)

Timeline
this information is all really helpful, thanks everyone. we're still in the NOA1 stage, but glad to know what to expect down the line.

one question: can someone confirm which affadavit of support form CDJ uses? i believe its the I-864, but i guess i wish it weren't because the other form is much shorter and easier.

another question: i read somewhere in this thread that police certificates aren't required? i am confused because on the CDJ website one document says that you need police certificates only if you have a criminal record, and a different one says everyone needs them, no matter what. can someone who has been through the process confirm?

thank you!

I-134 at interview; I-864 at AOS in US

No police certificates needed for Mexico

Good luck!

Timeline

kitkat, can you direct me to where on the CDJ consulate site you got this info? i am confused because looking at the fiance packet on their site, the instructions don't even list a specific affadavit of support form. (although it does say that police certificates are required only of those convicted of crimes). http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivfm.html

i'm assuming the materials we need to bring to the interview are only those listed under the fiance packet section on the above website, right? not the things also listed under the "immigrant visa packet" section? :unsure:

thanks again!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

AOS PROCESS

K1 VISA PROCESS

June 19, 2006 NOA 1

Aug 2, 2006 NOA 2

Nov 16, 2006 We entered the US together! (El Paso POE as required by Juarez consulate)

Timeline

The website is confusing and doesn't list everything clearly. I got this information from the Mexico forum here from people who have already gone to CDJ. All I see on the instructions is:

"In addition to the listed documents, you or your fiancée must proof to have adequate means of financial support and will not become a public charge in the United States. The enclosed Optional Form OF-167 lists evidence, which may be presented to meet this requirement of law."

Check here on the Mexico thread or you can always wait till they send the fiance packet - hopefully that would include the correct forms.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Best of luck with everything! The mexico threads have been a little quiet lately...hopefully that means everyone is having a smooth process!

SEE K-1 HISTORY IN MY TIMELINE

AOS / EAD / AP TIMELINE:

06/30/2006 - I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent to Chicago (via USPS Priority mail) (DAY 1)

07/02/2006 - package received in Chicago (delivery confirmed via USPS)

07/06/2006 - NOA 1 (DAY 7)

07/12/2006 - biometric appointment notice (DAY 13)

07/14/2006 - received biometric appointment notice via mail

07/25/2006 - interview notice (DAY 26)

07/26/2006 - biometrics taken (DAY 27)

07/28/2006 - received interview notice via mail

09/07/2006 - I-485 interview...APPROVED!!!...passport stamped (DAY 70)

09/12/2006 - I-131 approved (DAY 75)

09/13/2006 - received welcome letter via mail

09/15/2006 - I-765 approved (DAY 78)

09/16/2006 - received AP via mail

09/18/2006 - received conditional green card via mail

09/21/2006 - received EAD via mail

07/23/2008 - filed I-751 to lift conditional status

07/28/2008 - NOA 1

08/26/2008 - biometric appointment

12/03/2008 - I-751 approved

12/08/2008 - received 10-year green card via mail

09/07/2009 - eligible for U.S. citizenship!

flag13.gif

flag12.gif

Hi maybe some of you already know that we got the visa, we are so excited. :dance:

I posted a review if you have time go there and read it , i tried to get a lot of stuff to help my paisanos but hey i guess i messed it up by posting it on the k1 visa topic maybe they will send it to the the foreing consulate topic if that is the case well just try to search for it i hope this can help.

:luv:

Ari &Justin

junari8.jpg

COUNTRIES HAVE BORDERS, LOVE DOESN'T

Timeline

for those of you going through Juarez for the K1, who are still in the NOA1 stage...

have any of you considered just getting married in Mexico and then applying for the K3 spouse visa, and ditching the K1 on account of IMBRA delays? a lawyer suggested to me that the K3 may actually be faster now (as opposed to much slower before), while CIS figures out how to deal with IMBRA. this kind of threw a wrench into the whole thing for me. i don't want to start the process all over again, but am nervous about the total uncertainty regarding timelines for the I-129F these days.

REMOVING CONDITIONS

AOS PROCESS

K1 VISA PROCESS

June 19, 2006 NOA 1

Aug 2, 2006 NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

IMBRA problems are now solved, and actually, K3s are also now under IMBRA and getting IMBRA RFEs and delays.

Your process should start moving normally again now, especially sincey ou already have the RFE. I wouldn't change to a K3 now.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
for those of you going through Juarez for the K1, who are still in the NOA1 stage...

have any of you considered just getting married in Mexico and then applying for the K3 spouse visa, and ditching the K1 on account of IMBRA delays? a lawyer suggested to me that the K3 may actually be faster now (as opposed to much slower before), while CIS figures out how to deal with IMBRA. this kind of threw a wrench into the whole thing for me. i don't want to start the process all over again, but am nervous about the total uncertainty regarding timelines for the I-129F these days.

Bobo - in CDJ normally K3s are much faster to get appointments than spousal visas. But that's the key - the comparison is between waiting for a spousal immigrant visa appointment - currently a one year wait - vs. a K3 NON-immigrant spousal visa appointment - currently about 4-6 month wait.

Since you already filed the K1 there is no reason to get married and start over - your fiance visa petition will almost definitely be approved long before the K3 if you just start it now. Also, fiance visa applicants don't have to wait for an appt in CDJ - as soon your fiance has all the paperwork, he can go. This is much better and faster than having to wait for CDJ to assign a K3 appointment.

Make sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks to everyone here for the good help and advice in dealing with the interview process in Mexico. My fiancee received her visa and did well in her interview. I posted some details in the embassy review section about our trip and the process we went through. I will ask her to post some more details about the interview if she can.

I must say it was quite challenging mainly due to the fact that we were a recalled case and there was some confusion about her name due to a previous marriage. The reason it took 3 days for the visa to be granted was that the namecheck had not been initiated on a previous name and/or they had not opened the mail from the NVC yet and started reprocessing our case. In any case, they allowed to let the interview to go forward due to our diligence and being well prepared with our docs and evidence. The consulate had also told us both by phone we could come anytime for the interview at this point, so we did.

Blessings to all! (F)

Timeline

Lewis, so glad to hear that everything worked out great in the end!

Congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.