lizandpat

February 09 - VSC

11,191 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I love IKEA as well. I got my bedroom set there and a lot of the knick knacks in my hose are from there too. I don't have many pictures on the walls though and apparently thats what makes my house look empty according to Oksana. I told her that is going to be her job when she first gets here. That way she'll have something to do while we wait for work authorization. Since I have directv w I am going to get the Russian channels for her to avoid homesickness. WHat are you guys doing to combat homesickness for your SO?

Lee, take my word for it: avoid RU tv at all costs. It is disgusting rubbish that is made in the US under "RU TV" idea. Has little to do with actual RU tv and it is just pathetic! If I were you, get her some spectacular channels like Discovery and likes.

I'm actually starting to feel fortunate that we don't have any household items or things of our own yet! We each have a laptop to our name and loads of cds.. that's about it! It will be great to look for the apartment together and pick out little household things like couches and dishware.. It's so exciting to think about! I think Craigslist will be a wonderful investment of our time for the first few months.. hehe.

Craigslist is a great resource!!! And I've heard IKEA is a good place as well!

Ooo IKEA is nice too, lots of fun and affordable furniture. IKEA from craigslist would be ideal.. ^_^ Seattle is a big college and to be honest... tree hugger environment.. there will be lots of things to choose from on used-but-new-to-me furniture.

Do not get anything from IKEA! Their stuff is JUNK! Hit your local craigslist and keep your eyes open for yard sales/estate sales. You can scoop out really good furniture for best to nothing. My family's friends got all of their antique furniture from yard sales. It will last and outlast your kids, but do not buy stuff from ikea!!!

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard-Joanna

• Maire

• lizandpat

• lee b

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline
I love IKEA as well. I got my bedroom set there and a lot of the knick knacks in my hose are from there too. I don't have many pictures on the walls though and apparently thats what makes my house look empty according to Oksana. I told her that is going to be her job when she first gets here. That way she'll have something to do while we wait for work authorization. Since I have directv w I am going to get the Russian channels for her to avoid homesickness. WHat are you guys doing to combat homesickness for your SO?

Lee, take my word for it: avoid RU tv at all costs. It is disgusting rubbish that is made in the US under "RU TV" idea. Has little to do with actual RU tv and it is just pathetic! If I were you, get her some spectacular channels like Discovery and likes.

I'm actually starting to feel fortunate that we don't have any household items or things of our own yet! We each have a laptop to our name and loads of cds.. that's about it! It will be great to look for the apartment together and pick out little household things like couches and dishware.. It's so exciting to think about! I think Craigslist will be a wonderful investment of our time for the first few months.. hehe.

Ooo IKEA is nice too, lots of fun and affordable furniture. IKEA from craigslist would be ideal.. ^_^ Seattle is a big college and to be honest... tree hugger environment.. there will be lots of things to choose from on used-but-new-to-me furniture.

Do not get anything from IKEA! Their stuff is JUNK! Hit your local craigslist and keep your eyes open for yard sales/estate sales. You can scoop out really good furniture for best to nothing. My family's friends got all of their antique furniture from yard sales. It will last and outlast your kids, but do not buy stuff from ikea!!!

why not?!I have had excellent experience with them! :bonk: May be u dont like modern style..

Edited by Maire

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Igor the RU tv isn't good at all? I was kind of looking forward to getting the channel that shows the cartoons over there. The last time I was there and had the hardest time adjusting to the time change. I would watch a cartoon called "oggy and the cockroaches" easily one of my favorite things I watched when I couldn't sleep. I have been looking forward to watching them again.

I have all the good discovery channels and national geographics already. I can't miss my shark week even though it sucks this year.

That really bums me out about the RUtv though.

Lee.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Liz... I do not know if I can go over to fetch them or not. It will depend on work and right now we are launching a new division and it will start to get busy very quickly.. I would very much like to be there for the interview and bring them back we'll just have to wait and see on the timing of it all.

OK... back into another freakin' meeting!

mojito.gif

Mojitos for ALL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi guys,

I was mad busy with work the last few days so haven't been on here much. It looks like most people are moving along nicely. Congrats to everyone with approvals recently and best wishes to those with upcoming interview dates.

Hope everyone is doing good!! :star:

Susan....do u usually put the day before the month?I was reading ur timeline and got lost

Yeah, that is the way we write the date over here, it can get confusing when filling out paperwork for this process because I always write it our way

I129F process

23/02/09_ I129F Sent

25/02/09_I_129F received, signed for by D Renaud

25/02/09_ NOA 1 issued

01/03/09_ Touched

30/06/09_ NAO2 issued

01/07/09_ NAO 2 email from uscis received

06/07/09_ NAO 2 hardcopy received in post

10/07/09_ NVC receives application

13/07/09_ NVC sends application to dublin embassy

15/07/09_ Dublin embassy receives application

28/07/09_ Packet 3 Received

28/07/09_ Packet 3 Sent (Notice of Readiness returned)

28/07/09_ Medical Results collected from Clinic - all good to go :)

05/08/09_ Packet 4 Received

21/07/09_ Medical @ 10am in Blackrock Clinic PASSED woo hoo

11/08/09_ Interview PASSED

14/08/09_ Visa in hand.........woo hoo :)

23/09/09_ US Entry (POE - Chicago)

20/11/09_ Married

AOS SECTION

30/12/2009_AOS, Employment Authorization, Advanced Parole Sent to Chichago

31/12/2009_Received and signed for at Chicago Lockbox

06/01/2010_NAO1 received for all of the above

14/01/2010_ Recevied Biometrics letter

09/02/2010_ Biometrics in Fort Smith

17/02/2010_Recieved email that Employment Authorisation has been approved, card production in process

22/02/2010_Received Advanced Parole documents in the post :)

10/03/2010_Received Notification of Interview for AOS

14/04/2010_Interview Fort smith @ 10.00am for AOS

Timeline
Igor the RU tv isn't good at all? I was kind of looking forward to getting the channel that shows the cartoons over there. The last time I was there and had the hardest time adjusting to the time change. I would watch a cartoon called "oggy and the cockroaches" easily one of my favorite things I watched when I couldn't sleep. I have been looking forward to watching them again.

I have all the good discovery channels and national geographics already. I can't miss my shark week even though it sucks this year.

Well, I am talking from the experience. We get some NY made RU tv here around Bawstin and it sucks, maybe it is different in your neck of the woods.

Timeline

why not?!I have had excellent experience with them! :bonk: May be u dont like modern style..

Well, I am not excited about what they do. Plus, once you build it, you can't take it apart. It is just that bad in terms of quality. For myself I have decided to never go to IKEA when I will be looking into getting furniture. A lot of people like their furniture, including my own older brother, but sorry, it doesn't fly by me. It just looks cheap and it isn't durable.

Timeline
Hi guys,

I was mad busy with work the last few days so haven't been on here much. It looks like most people are moving along nicely. Congrats to everyone with approvals recently and best wishes to those with upcoming interview dates.

Susan....do u usually put the day before the month?I was reading ur timeline and got lost

Yeah, that is the way we write the date over here, it can get confusing when filling out paperwork for this process because I always write it our way

oh ok I was not sure if ur interview is this month or in November :blush:

Edited by Maire

Timeline

Well, I am talking from the experience. We get some NY made RU tv here around Bawstin and it sucks, maybe it is different in your neck of the woods.

Well it's on satellite and they say its directly from Russia and not an American attempt at it. We'll see. Of course you can't just order it online you have to call customer service. All I really want is the music channel for now until she gets here. There is this one song and I am not sure of the translation, but it's something like "If I kiss you I kill you." I don't know many of the words to any of the songs, I just really like the way the sound. I am like a big child that way.

Lee.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Lee, my best advice on watching Russian TV channels is to get a good sized monitor and a good, reliable high-speed internet connection.... the following is a post I put on the Russian forum a few months ago.-----

I've spent about 10 years searching for and watching Russian TV channels online with mixed results. I would find a site that works fine... but within a month or two the connection quality would begin to deteriorate or disappear completely.

By FAR the best site I've found is www.worldstreamtv.com . The site has been up for about 2 years now that I'm aware of. Subscribers have access to a large number of radio stations online. As for TV, there are 20 channels available online, including Channel One, RTR, CTC, TNT, NTV, and Vesti. You can watch live streams of programs from these channels, or you can time-shift entire streams a certain number of hours, or you can record specific programs for viewing at your convenience, and many of the more popular programs are automatically recorded and available as Video-on-Demand. If you have a high-speed internet connection, the quality is just like watching TV. They have a number of test links which will allow you to check out the service and quality against your particular internet connection speed.

A monthly subscription of $10 allows you to watch live or time-shifted streams. An additional $6 a month also gives you the TV recorder and free access to the Video-on-Demand. You can cancel the service at any time and you keep access through the end of the month in which you cancel. A number of our Russian friends here in America will subscribe in December and January to get access to all of the New Year's programs and then cancel their service because they simply don't have time to watch so much TV.

Timeline

Lee, my best advice on watching Russian TV channels is to get a good sized monitor and a good, reliable high-speed internet connection.... the following is a post I put on the Russian forum a few months ago.-----

I've spent about 10 years searching for and watching Russian TV channels online with mixed results. I would find a site that works fine... but within a month or two the connection quality would begin to deteriorate or disappear completely.

By FAR the best site I've found is www.worldstreamtv.com . The site has been up for about 2 years now that I'm aware of. Subscribers have access to a large number of radio stations online. As for TV, there are 20 channels available online, including Channel One, RTR, CTC, TNT, NTV, and Vesti. You can watch live streams of programs from these channels, or you can time-shift entire streams a certain number of hours, or you can record specific programs for viewing at your convenience, and many of the more popular programs are automatically recorded and available as Video-on-Demand. If you have a high-speed internet connection, the quality is just like watching TV. They have a number of test links which will allow you to check out the service and quality against your particular internet connection speed.

A monthly subscription of $10 allows you to watch live or time-shifted streams. An additional $6 a month also gives you the TV recorder and free access to the Video-on-Demand. You can cancel the service at any time and you keep access through the end of the month in which you cancel. A number of our Russian friends here in America will subscribe in December and January to get access to all of the New Year's programs and then cancel their service because they simply don't have time to watch so much TV.

Now that's what I'm talking 'bout! This is real RU tv, not this US made POS. Thanks for posting this up!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi guys,

If I had to wait until Nov, i would have a nervous breakdown :)

I129F process

23/02/09_ I129F Sent

25/02/09_I_129F received, signed for by D Renaud

25/02/09_ NOA 1 issued

01/03/09_ Touched

30/06/09_ NAO2 issued

01/07/09_ NAO 2 email from uscis received

06/07/09_ NAO 2 hardcopy received in post

10/07/09_ NVC receives application

13/07/09_ NVC sends application to dublin embassy

15/07/09_ Dublin embassy receives application

28/07/09_ Packet 3 Received

28/07/09_ Packet 3 Sent (Notice of Readiness returned)

28/07/09_ Medical Results collected from Clinic - all good to go :)

05/08/09_ Packet 4 Received

21/07/09_ Medical @ 10am in Blackrock Clinic PASSED woo hoo

11/08/09_ Interview PASSED

14/08/09_ Visa in hand.........woo hoo :)

23/09/09_ US Entry (POE - Chicago)

20/11/09_ Married

AOS SECTION

30/12/2009_AOS, Employment Authorization, Advanced Parole Sent to Chichago

31/12/2009_Received and signed for at Chicago Lockbox

06/01/2010_NAO1 received for all of the above

14/01/2010_ Recevied Biometrics letter

09/02/2010_ Biometrics in Fort Smith

17/02/2010_Recieved email that Employment Authorisation has been approved, card production in process

22/02/2010_Received Advanced Parole documents in the post :)

10/03/2010_Received Notification of Interview for AOS

14/04/2010_Interview Fort smith @ 10.00am for AOS

Timeline

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight. Are any of those channels the music channel? I do so love the music even though I don't understand most of it. I am learning slowly.

Lee.gif

Timeline
Hi guys,

If I had to wait until Nov, i would have a nervous breakdown :)

oh ok....cool beans :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight. Are any of those channels the music channel? I do so love the music even though I don't understand most of it. I am learning slowly.

Yes.. Music Box TV ... and as I said, there's also dozens of radio stations available through the service.

I also have another link for another EXCELLENT site for Russian music.. online radio station with literally hundreds of channels. I'll send it to you when I get home from work.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.