Flames9_RN

Cruise???

45 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I'll third the Celebrity recommendation. Their staff and services are excellent. The variety and quality of the food on board is amazing. I haven't done their Alaskan cruise though so I can't comment on the shore excursions. The ones for the cruises I have done were great.

~ Catherine

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have such a special place in my heart for Southeast AK. (L) What a fabulous way to celebrate your graduation Flames!

Having seen many a tourist in Ketchikan, I can say that the Royal Carribean passengers always seem the happiest and most active off the ship. That's about all I can offer. And a few of these:

2253657379_9b6b5a96dd.jpg

2254469755_73cb1b0b80.jpg

2254858153_34253dbe2c.jpg

Timeline

Nice pics MrsCat :thumbs:

Hey flames, I am sure you are already shopping all over the net, but I was looking at cruises today and found this site. Basically you pick a cruise, start an account (just your name and email) then you submit the cruise and travel agents email you their best deal on it, might be worth looking at?

http://www.cruisecompete.com/

Timeline

Thanks! I signed up for it, and got 4 quotes right away, all the same price. Were talking with a travel agent as well, and she says the # 1 cruise ship for Alaska is Holland, followed by Princes, then Royal Caribbean! Will contact a few other travel agents, and see what their ranking is. Thanks everyone

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're big cruise people, but have only done the Carribbean on Carnival.

I think that the crowd on an Alaskan cruise will always tend to be a bit older. I think that Holland American Line is definitely an older crowd. Princess is most likely going to be a but more expensive, so if you're not into the dressing up and the formal cruise details, I would go with Royal Caribbean.

I know that Carnival sometimes gets a bad wrap, but honestly it really is great bang for your buck. It's usually the least expensive, but the food and rooms are amazing. I've heard a lot of people who've been on both Carnival and Royal Carribbean say they like Carnival better.

You can also check out www.cruisecritic.com - we always go on there for information before our upcoming cruises!

Have fun - I am itching to go on another cruise... stupid immigration process is getting in the way!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I think we have decided to go with Royal Caribbean on the Rhapsody of the Seas!! Itinerary: Depart from Vancouver, through Alaska inside passage, Juneau, Skagway, cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord, see glaciers, Ketchikan, and finish in Seattle!! This way we get a balcony and get to see Seattle. And we have a few days before the cruise to rent a car and drive to kamloops and see my brand new nephew! Guess we wont be brand new, around 7 or 8 months of age by then,lol

That Cruisescompete was a cool website! Not sure if we will use 1 travel agent from them or not, as we were dealing with another, and her rate is the same as the lowest on cruisecompete, BUT she isnt offering any shipboard credit,WHILE pretty much al that gave us offers from cruisescompete.com do! So if she doesn't We will probably use one of the offers from that website! We got 8 offers from the website, and one can see their reviews of those companies!

What we have found is that the price travel agents give you, is normally the exact same price one can get on the cruises company's webpage!! Only difference is the shipboard credit--which all depends on the room you get!

As well when one gets offers from these companies (from cruisescompete.com) one has to ensure your comparing apples to apples! As you will see a lower rate, but the lower rate cabin may have an obstructed view, so one has to ensure what category of a room they are quoting.

According to 3 different cruise agents, Holland America is #1, #2 is Princess and #3 is Royal Caribbean for Alaska. But they are pretty close, and Holland tends to be an older crowd, not sure what that means as Alaska tends to be an older crowd to begin with,lol

And according to the research i did,Rhapsody of the Sea had very high marks. I think they all pretty much do a good job! Thanks to everyone and especially Mrscat for the help, she answered my PM's in superb fashion!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Hi Flames. Check out www.vacationstogo.com before you buy. My sister uses them all the time (and she lives in England) and that's actually the agency we used for our Mediterranean cruise this past summer. The discounts were astounding, not to mention the free upgrades and onboard credits and gifts we received from the person we dealt with.

I heard back from my aunt who took the Alaskan cruise last year. She said it was nice but she wouldn't do it again. But they live in Vancouver, anyway, so she gets to see beautiful scenery all year round. lol

At any rate, it sounds like a fabulous trip. Definitely something I would do, myself. Have a great time! :)

iagree.gif

Timeline

Will check that link out krikit!! Back in My navy days on the west coast did pretty much all of the west coast, right up to, but not into Alaska. Love the scenery!! This is soimething my wife has always wanted to do, so why not now? Were a pretty mellow couple, so I'm sure we wil fit right in with the old foggies,lol

Timeline

Just got off the phone with Vacationstogo, and their price was the same as the others. i asked if he could do any better or if they gave out ship board credits, and he said NO. So i say, your price si the same as the others, BUT many offer ship board credits, of around $75 to $100. he then says, if you make the deal right now, I can give you the $100 ship board credit! ,lol I dont deal that way!! He was nice and all, but I think will just stick with the other gal we have been talking to from cruisecompete.com

Just got off the phone with Vacationstogo, and their price was the same as the others. i asked if he could do any better or if they gave out ship board credits, and he said NO. So i say, your price si the same as the others, BUT many offer ship board credits, of around $75 to $100. he then says, if you make the deal right now, I can give you the $100 ship board credit! ,lol I dont deal that way!! He was nice and all, but I think will just stick with the other gal we have been talking to from cruisecompete.com

This whole thread has got me thinking what a lovely vacation your cruise would be flames. What kind of prices are they quoting you? After it's all said and done, the price you pay, will that be all inclusive except for day jaunts from the ship? I've never taken a cruise, and really haven't been all the interested up to this point. Mind telling me what kind of price you've been quoted?

Don't worry, I have no intentions of going on the same one you are when you go. :lol::P

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

This whole thread has got me thinking what a lovely vacation your cruise would be flames. What kind of prices are they quoting you? After it's all said and done, the price you pay, will that be all inclusive except for day jaunts from the ship? I've never taken a cruise, and really haven't been all the interested up to this point. Mind telling me what kind of price you've been quoted?

Don't worry, I have no intentions of going on the same one you are when you go. :lol::P

Wooot!! I bet flames would like us to join them!!

What date and time and price flames :dance:

Timeline

May 8th on Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the seas! For a D1 balcony for two people including all fees and taxes it is $1931.00. And many offer a Shipboard credit of $100--which can be used for anythign onthe ship and any unused goes back on ur personal credit card!! And no that doesnt include ANY excursions. Still trying to figure out which ones to do

Cruises do try and nickel and diem ya to death,lol Yes you can eat for free, BUT they do have restaurants that charge so much a person. Food is of a higher quality! Plus not ALL activities onboard are free! 1 ship (Norwegian) had a bowling alley, but wasnt free. Think it was something $10 a game. Most of the spa stuff isnt free either. So the extras can add up quickly!! And then u add on excursions! many are $100 per person. Saw one that was a helo ride and dog sled tour, belive it was $500 per person!! Your vacation can be pretty $$$$ if you dont watch it,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.