GlenAndLisa

Failed Driving Test

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So, my husband failed his driving test (we're in Wisconsin) and the instructor told me that now he has to apply for a learner's permit and is not permitted to drive anymore (unless it's with another licensed driver in the car) until he passes his driving test.

I find this stupid, to be honest. I won't rant too much here, I've done enough of that already.

The fact of the matter is, he NEEDS to get to work. So is this really true that he can't drive?? Anyone else have this experience?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
So, my husband failed his driving test (we're in Wisconsin) and the instructor told me that now he has to apply for a learner's permit and is not permitted to drive anymore (unless it's with another licensed driver in the car) until he passes his driving test.

I find this stupid, to be honest. I won't rant too much here, I've done enough of that already.

The fact of the matter is, he NEEDS to get to work. So is this really true that he can't drive?? Anyone else have this experience?

No License, NO Driving

No License, NO Driving

Wow... I just think it's horrible. I mean, not in every case. Some people really don't deserve a license. But Glen's been driving for years and years, he used to drive a van for a living, he's a better driver than I am, and the only reason he failed was because he went 2 miles over the speed limit for 50 yards, which is an automatic fail. Okay, so I did rant... LOL. But I'm frustrated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife has failed her first two road tests. She drives everywhere we go (on learner's license), but is getting discouraged about the road tests.

The entire thing is done in a parking lot, but she always makes one little mistake that causes the examiner to fail her.

Attempt No. 3 is Tuesday. Crossing our fingers, as she has just started an "illegal" (without EAD) job working for a family down the street. And her having a license would give us a little more freedom (and make her feel more independent).

Can't he still use his UK licence plus the International Drivers Permit?

Well, a friend of mine did tell me that unless they physically take away his UK license, it's still valid. But I'm just worried that they don't know what they're talking about...

That is a bummer, hopefully he can take a retest soon. This whole process scares me to death, I dont know what I would do if I could not drive.

I thought that they might not be as strict over there coz there is not other way to get around

Sorry he did not pass better luck next time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Can't he still use his UK licence plus the International Drivers Permit?

Well, a friend of mine did tell me that unless they physically take away his UK license, it's still valid. But I'm just worried that they don't know what they're talking about...

#### it, GlenAndLisa, do what Laura said and stick with the UK licence for as log as it's valid. And even if they do pull you over, all you do is say your visiting, and they can't be arsed to follow it up. Trust me, I know, happened twice to me when I was over there for two years on a F-1. ;)

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Attempt No. 3 is Tuesday. Crossing our fingers, as she has just started an "illegal" (without EAD) job working for a family down the street. And her having a license would give us a little more freedom (and make her feel more independent).

If she gets caught she's gonna be in trouble - you do know that? It really isn't worth it.

He should be able to drive as a "visitor" on the UK license for a certain period of time. Texas allows 1 year.

But hopefully they gave him a sheet showing where he lost points so he can practice and go take it again. I vaguely remembered my driving test to give Nick pointers, like signal, look in the rearview mirror and look over your shoulder for the blind spot before turning or changing lanes. There were little things they expect on a driving test. Also we have a parallel parking part of the test. They always told us if you couldn't do it, just pull in and do it poorly and stop, because if you hit the pole or traffic cone representing the cars in front and back, they will fail you on that. Parking poorly will just take off some points. Hitting another car fails you. Also always take the test in an automatic transmission car because there's more to grade off dealing with the shifting too.

It's tough being on the other side of the car and other side of the road. You gotta flip your brain, sorta.

Nick passed because the lady liked his British accent. :rofl:

Not really, he's been driving in the US on visits for several years, so he's had lots of practice.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

He should be able to drive as a "visitor" on the UK license for a certain period of time. Texas allows 1 year.

But hopefully they gave him a sheet showing where he lost points so he can practice and go take it again. I vaguely remembered my driving test to give Nick pointers, like signal, look in the rearview mirror and look over your shoulder for the blind spot before turning or changing lanes. There were little things they expect on a driving test. Also we have a parallel parking part of the test. They always told us if you couldn't do it, just pull in and do it poorly and stop, because if you hit the pole or traffic cone representing the cars in front and back, they will fail you on that. Parking poorly will just take off some points. Hitting another car fails you. Also always take the test in an automatic transmission car because there's more to grade off dealing with the shifting too.

It's tough being on the other side of the car and other side of the road. You gotta flip your brain, sorta.

Nick passed because the lady liked his British accent. :rofl:

Not really, he's been driving in the US on visits for several years, so he's had lots of practice.

He did everything fine. Just that bit of speeding, which is an automatic fail. Hopefully he'll get a lady next time. I'll tell him to flirt his #### off!! LOL!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
He did everything fine. Just that bit of speeding, which is an automatic fail. Hopefully he'll get a lady next time. I'll tell him to flirt his #### off!! LOL!

If it was only speeding then tell him to go back and retake his test. Most states just need a week between tests.

I just don't see the problem to be honest. Retake it and none of this is an issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

oh, it feels so GOOD to come in here after having told the truth

And even if they do pull you over, all you do is say your visiting...

and abided by the law

my wife... has just started an "illegal" (without EAD) job...

:wacko:

it's people trying to bypass the rules which make them pass such draconian ones, you do know that, don't you? so thank you both

tell the cops that :wacko:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.