Lover500

CR-1 Application Question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to send an application from Egypt for a visa for my husband. Im in Egypt and I was wondering if I, or my family, could send them the application to NVC directly, or if i HAVE to send it through the embassy in cairo. If we go through the embassy they will need a photocopy of both passports to schedule the appointment. We cant get his passport yet cause there has been delay. So i was wondering if theres a way i can send it to America without going through the embassy. It will save alot of time if we can, and I really want to get back to my family so if theres a faster way to do it let me know.

BTW My family live in Missouri

Thanks

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Timeline
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to send an application from Egypt for a visa for my husband. Im in Egypt and I was wondering if I, or my family, could send them the application to NVC directly, or if i HAVE to send it through the embassy in cairo. If we go through the embassy they will need a photocopy of both passports to schedule the appointment. We cant get his passport yet cause there has been delay. So i was wondering if theres a way i can send it to America without going through the embassy. It will save alot of time if we can, and I really want to get back to my family so if theres a faster way to do it let me know.

Thanks

It's been a long time since I did it but I think your going to need a copy of his passport to send with the application to America as well. So, it sounds like you need that passport no matter what you decide to do. However, like I said it has been a long time since I mailed mine, almost 3 years, so I could be mistaken.

Hopefully a person who has done the application more recently will enlighten you.

Timeline
Hi guys,

Thanks

It's been a long time since I did it but I think your going to need a copy of his passport to send with the application to America as well. So, it sounds like you need that passport no matter what you decide to do. However, like I said it has been a long time since I mailed mine, almost 3 years, so I could be mistaken.

Hopefully a person who has done the application more recently will enlighten you.

Thanks for your reply.

But i want to make sure if i can send it from here in Egypt to NVC in America.

I hope someone could help me.

Edited by Lover500

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

If you are just visiting in Egypt, the embassy cannot help you. If you are a legal resident there (for at least 6 months), then you can file with the embassy.

Otherwise, you file thru the appropriate USCIS Service center in the US. You cannot file with the NVC.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
If you are just visiting in Egypt, the embassy cannot help you. If you are a legal resident there (for at least 6 months), then you can file with the embassy.

Otherwise, you file thru the appropriate USCIS Service center in the US. You cannot file with the NVC.

Thank you for your reply.

i have been in Egypt for 8 months, but i dont want to do it in embassy because theyre asking for copy of his passport and he wont have it for 1 month.

so i think i will do it through USCIS or whatever it will be.

but my question is can i do it from here (Egypt) or i have to be in USA or let my family send it for me. and do i have to send copy of his passport.

Thanks alot

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The application needs to have the signature, and can not be a photocopy. So you would have to either mail it to them, or to your family to mail to them. If I remember correctly it will need a copy of his passport, so either way you will have to wait. I don't know much about the DCF, but I do believe that once it is at the NVC you can plan on about 3 months to gather the information. Ours took 4 months there. So if that is the case when you are going through Egypt wouldn't it still be faster to wait for the month for his passport and do it DCF? Hopefully someone with more knowledge as to the process in Egypt can help.

It was just a thought, but whatever you decide I wish you a speedy journey.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

what is DCF?

Timeline
Thank you for your reply.

i have been in Egypt for 8 months, but i dont want to do it in embassy because theyre asking for copy of his passport and he wont have it for 1 month.

But...are you a legal resident with a residency card. If you are just visiting...you cannot file with the embassy. Waiting for a month is MUCH better than waiting for 8 months filing with the USCIS.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I suspect that you don't know much about the process, and how long it takes.

First you file at the USCIS. This can take 6 months or more for the approval. Then it progresses to the NVC. This will take around 3 months. Then the interview. This varies depending on the consulate, but that was an additional month for us. Doing this will probably take about a year.

Does anyone have a timeline they can give us on doing the DCF in Egypt?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

You can't file anything directly to NVC, you would have to wait for USCIS processing which is supposed to take at least 6 months, some more, and some less. It sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about..... Good luck.

Peace,

Mariah

Marriage : 2008-07-03

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-03

Dec 22 2008 Transferred to California Service Center

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-12

NVC Received : 2009-1-16

Officially in AVR : 2009-1-17 emailed scanned DS 3032

DS 3032 generated and accepted via email/ AOS I-864 generated : 2009-1-23

Received I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Pay IV Bill : 2009-1-26 status PAID 1-28

Send Completed I 864 and IV Package (overnight) : 2009-2-4 (had to wait for hubby's PC and original birth certificate to arrive)

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-2-11 !!!!

NVC Left : Received email March 3rd

Medical Completed : March 12, 2009

Interview Date : April 22, 2009. 8 am. VISA APPROVED!!!

Visa in Hand : April 27th, 2008!!! Arrival May 11th! POE JFK

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 101 days from your NOA1 date. NVC completed in 26 days! Interview was 201 days from Noa 1.

Timeline

if we file it at the embassy it will be around the same time 6-8 months, we can do it through the embassy ,but they will need his passport to schedule the appointment. and im legal resident in egypt for 8 months and got 1 year more this week.

so i have 2 questions

1- can i send it from here (Egypt) to USCIS or send it to my family to send it to USCIS.

2- do i have to send copy of his passport to USCIS.

Thanks alot guys.

Timeline

Whatever time the embassy/consulate told you as their processing time, you can add 7-8 months to that if you file thru the USCIS.

Timeline

Also keep in mind that Cairo is one of the slowest Embassies I've ever heard of. Where ever you start, be prepared to have no idea where you're at between the steps.

I wish you a speedy process. Good luck!

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Timeline
if we file it at the embassy it will be around the same time 6-8 months, we can do it through the embassy ,but they will need his passport to schedule the appointment. and im legal resident in egypt for 8 months and got 1 year more this week.

so i have 2 questions

1- can i send it from here (Egypt) to USCIS or send it to my family to send it to USCIS.

Thanks alot guys.

Since we are not answering your 2 questions to your satisfaction, the best thing to do is call USCIS and ask them. They will tell you what is okay for you to do and what you will need.

so i have 2 questions

Thanks alot guys.

Since we are not answering your 2 questions to your satisfaction, the best thing to do is call USCIS and ask them. They will tell you what is okay for you to do and what you will need.

However, I do think the answer to your two questions is yes. Yes, you can send your application from Egypt and yes you will need to include a copy of his passport with the application to USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.