thetreble

Feelin' kinda down...

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Welcome to the world of working for the Government, lots of things happen that have no rhyme nor reason. :)

And I guess even with feeling down....you should be very happy that you are not one of the Thousands of people in the US who now are unemployed and don't have a job to feel down about.

:lol: Yes. I have had 4 jobs in my life time. 3 of them have been with the government so I am no stranger to it.

And, just because I have a job it doesn't mean I should be very happy that I'm not someone losing theirs.

I wrote this thread to just get out my feelings for today. If you don't think I should feel down or have a right to, then maybe a comment isn't necessary?

Any ways, thanks every one :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Yea I'm with Amanda on this one. Just because we have jobs in todays world, doesn't mean we shouldn't want to strive for more and aim higher. Amanda has a right to feel the way she does, in her position I would feel the exact same way too.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I have found that if you want to be promoted or given more responsibility, you have to speak up. Just doing your job well or above and beyond doesn't cut it. Talk to your boss frequently about your ambitions for your career and how you would like more responsibility in the future. If he/she is aware of what you want, they might think of you next time something comes up. If something comes up or is coming up and you know about it, don't wait for them to ask you...go to them first and let them know how you think you are qualified and that you would be interested. The worst that can happen is that they say no. At least you showed initiative. :-)

I feel sorry for those who are unemployed, but I don't think being unambitious at work and not trying to get a promotion is going to help anybody and most certainly would hurt me. ;-) It's true that some people don't want to move up because they don't want that added responsibility. It's too much stress for them. In that case, my advice does not apply. :)

Edited by childress_london

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Timeline
Yea I'm with Amanda on this one. Just because we have jobs in todays world, doesn't mean we shouldn't want to strive for more and aim higher. Amanda has a right to feel the way she does, in her position I would feel the exact same way too.

I remember the last time Canada went into recession there were massive layoffs at my place of employment and I had to lay off some of my own staff (it was heartbreaking), as well as being impacted by all the other layoffs going on all around me. Anyway, one of my co-workers was sitting in my office discussing her concerns and at the end of it said "I'll be glad when I can go back to hating my job instead of being thankful I have one." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amanda, it sounds as if you've received some very good advice in this thread. You're a strong woman and I know you'll take some good from this experience and use it to your advantage. I always take a good look at perceived setbacks in my life, and try to find what it is I can learn from them. While some things don't seem fair in life, I can honestly say that I am a better person and have grown greatly for having gone through them, even though I wouldn't have chosen to have those things happen. It's human to feel as you do. I would have felt the same way. Give yourself a big hug and treat yourself to something nice this weekend. Then go on in on Monday and keep doing a great job. You never know. What seems to be a negative right now, may work in your favour. (F)

Oh. And I agree with Trailmix. The fact that the VP has given your co-worker tasks that you would usually handle tells me that he has not a clue how you or your supervisor run your area. That's not too unusual.... they're usually quite oblivious to things like that. If you feel comfortable doing it, just let him know that those are run-of-the-mill tasks and ask him if you have given him any reason to feel that you can no longer be trusted with them.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Amanda has all the right in the world to feel the way she does in her position and the right to vent about it, as well as strive to exceed and grow in it and advance in her career path. And yes, she has received alot of great advice from people here.

I work for a government regulator here in Canada and know all too well about what she is talking about. Usually in government work it isn't what you know or what you can do, it is who you know and a lot of good people get looked over for promotion or held back in their job. And yes...most of the time it is the squeeky wheel who gets the grease or attention so to say, so all you can do is speak up.

I was just saying, that on the flip side of what people are experiencing lately in the US and now in Canada, is that atleast she still has a job to express her thoughts about.

Luckily last month my fiance had a new job opportunity that came his way and he left his old job. Two days ago his old job laid off 1000 people, he probably would have been one of them, and he has a few friends who were effected by this. He also has one set of friends who are married, who both work at this company, now how crappy would that be to both loose your job at the same time due to layoffs, luckily so far they still have their jobs.

So that's all I was sayin'.

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Timeline

I understand what you are saying, tankgurl, but I still don't think it's all that relevant. Just because I have a job, or any one else has a job, it doesn't mean I go into work everyday thankful that I get to still get up at 4:45am and bust my ####. Job losses are unfortunate but when you go into private enterprise you are always entering many fields that unfortunately lay off from time to time, recession or not.

Nevertheless, you guys are probably right. I need to speak up more about what I want to do. I told my boss a few weeks ago in a 1 on 1 that I want to get more involved in certain areas of what we do. She sounded like it would be cool. I do think I need to gain some more experience though of course but...

I'm home now and feeling a lot better. Some times we have crazy days/weeks that really make us think twice about why we get up in the mornings!!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've noticed that many jobs can be a double-edged sword.

You want to show your workplace that you're capable and a hard worker. You try to make yourself necessary and indispensable. Unfortunately, if you're too good at your job (and therefore truly indispensable), you'll probably get passed up for a promotion. Those above you might feel that if you get promoted, no one else can "take up the slack" or they'd have to teach someone else (even worse, they might have to hire someone!) :help:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.