MARM

People between NOA2 and Interview ~2009~

2,003 posts in this topic

i keep thinking that there should be a 'pinned' thread that documents these sorts of tips and tricks. i know that the embassy info page as a lot of good info, but there are many subjects that come up again and again that could be addressed in a thread like this.

i think it would be a little hard to keep it manageable (and up-to-date) but i bet we could come up with something. or i was thinking that a google doc with info that could be updated easily might be a good option. we could provide a link to that in the pinned thread.

could have a hot list of perennial topics like notarization, umm.. and others.

sorry, just thinking out loud. im pretty fuzzy in the head with my illness, so feel free to pat me on the head and send me back to bed.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep thinking that there should be a 'pinned' thread that documents these sorts of tips and tricks. i know that the embassy info page as a lot of good info, but there are many subjects that come up again and again that could be addressed in a thread like this.

i think it would be a little hard to keep it manageable (and up-to-date) but i bet we could come up with something. or i was thinking that a google doc with info that could be updated easily might be a good option. we could provide a link to that in the pinned thread.

could have a hot list of perennial topics like notarization, umm.. and others.

sorry, just thinking out loud. im pretty fuzzy in the head with my illness, so feel free to pat me on the head and send me back to bed.

I agree. I read volumes of information and even this tip slipped by me. There is just so much out there, but its fragmented and not in one clear and concise document for reference.

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

some of the other regional forums have pinned topics for this sort of thing:

russia

the philippines

something with a title that communicates well the content of the thread so that people are encouraged to search for answers there first, before posting them.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

The pinned topics get ignored too. People need to learn to use the search function, it's actually quite good.

I understand that, but what we are talking about is a top tip that you wouldn't even know to search for if it wasn't for the good people here sharing their real life experiences of the process. These threads get can get really long and unfortunately that type information gets lost in pages and pages of other bits of conversation and information. Some of these tips can also be very embassy specific so pinned information or an updatable google doc might be a good idea.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
The pinned topics get ignored too. People need to learn to use the search function, it's actually quite good.

What??? Get people to read pinned topics and search for stuff??? :o

You'll be wanting people to ask their immigration questions in the immigration forums and not the UK one next. :P

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I understand that, but what we are talking about is a top tip that you wouldn't even know to search for if it wasn't for the good people here sharing their real life experiences of the process. These threads get can get really long and unfortunately that type information gets lost in pages and pages of other bits of conversation and information. Some of these tips can also be very embassy specific so pinned information or an updatable google doc might be a good idea.

I realize your heart is in the right place with this suggestion, but I still disagree. We have the Guides, Wiki, Embassy portals and pinned topics and yet people still ask the same questions over and over again. Before I filed for my I129f, I read on VJ. A LOT. That is how I learned all the stuff I now know.

People need to take some responsibility for the process and do some research. There is too much of this "act first and ask questions later" mentality. If after researching, a question still remains, then it should be posed in the appropriate forum. But all of this should be done prior to mailing things off.

the things i have most appreciated during this process (other than input from other people here on vj) have been posts or topics which are fairly specific.

the VJ K-1 guide is enormously helpful, but i think that a UK specific explanation of some parts of the process might be helpful for some topics (getting your immunizations up-to-date, information relating to the affidavit of support, etc.) i know many of these topics are universal, but from what i have gathered, there is a lot of UK wisdom on the subjects that i found really helpful.

i learned about all of this information bit by bit by reading (for hours and hours) through the forums, uk and non-uk (which helped give me perspective), searching through threads using the search option (very helpful, like you said), and just generally trying to LEARN about the process. i searched first, asked questions second. (i also tried to have good messageboard etiquette in order to be polite.)

another poster up there, (ellie maybe?) mentioned a 'top tip' thread. i think thats not a bad idea! sort of a rolling set of recommendations. (fyi, my top tip is BUY A SCANNER/COPIER/PRINTER!)

so i vote for a tip thread and a google doc with a review of the important pieces of the process (ex. pre-medical protocol, I-134 documentation, filling the 'packet 3') yes, it might be repeatin information available elsewhere, but at least it would be all in one place.

i do agree though... with careful searching, some patience and a level-head most questions one might have can and already have been answered on vj.

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Timeline

How useful will a 'Top Tips' thread be when it's over 50 pages long?

People will stop using it because they can't be bothered to search for what they want and will start new threads to ask their questions.

yeah, i thought about that. i was thinking its kinda like the master RFE list.. it just gives you some ideas.. or if you are not pressed for time you can read them all!

just some thoughts. maybe its not a good idea. im too sick to be able to tell. :l

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

I realize your heart is in the right place with this suggestion, but I still disagree. We have the Guides, Wiki, Embassy portals and pinned topics and yet people still ask the same questions over and over again. Before I filed for my I129f, I read on VJ. A LOT. That is how I learned all the stuff I now know.

People need to take some responsibility for the process and do some research. There is too much of this "act first and ask questions later" mentality. If after researching, a question still remains, then it should be posed in the appropriate forum. But all of this should be done prior to mailing things off.

I understand what you are saying too Julez but disagree to some extent because there was no way that I would know that the embassy organise interview dates according to what you write in the date of travel section on the checklist. I used the search function too, and quickly typed "how to get an expedited interview date in london!" "how to get a sooner interview date in london" and recieved no results that would assist me. That kind of hint / tip is born out of the experience of people who have gone through the process, or in RBAL's case, have found this out after the fact. I would have left that section of "travel date" blank too, because whilst I know when my wedding date is going to be, I have at present no confirmed travel plans and will not have any until that visa is in my passport and that passport is in my grubby mit.

I agree that people do not do enough of their own research before asking questions, but also understand that that is what this site is about. I work full time and do not have time to read the full 59 pages of this thread and discover that, that date was a defining factor in the embassy assigning you an interview date. That's why I think that is more of a hint or a tip than an actual part of the process. I too have done a lot of reading, and to date have only hit one wall....AP at NVC, something sadly I have no control over.

Edited by Ellie-and-David

K1

AOS complete!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline
I agree that people do not do enough of their own research before asking questions, but also understand that that is what this site is about. I work full time and do not have time to read the full 59 pages of this thread and discover that, that date was a defining factor in the embassy assigning you an interview date. That's why I think that is more of a hint or a tip than an actual part of the process. I too have done a lot of reading, and to date have only hit one wall....AP at NVC, something sadly I have no control over.

But even with a pinned thread the one piece of info you need could be on page 59! Whether a topic is pinned or not you're still going to have to search for information and people just tend not to bother.

But even with a pinned thread the one piece of info you need could be on page 59! Whether a topic is pinned or not you're still going to have to search for information and people just tend not to bother.

Ok, i get what your saying. But we could keep it short.

How many hints are there????

I'm not talking about.....

"wear pink! Pete the interviewer with blonde hair likes pink alot and will give you a visa if you are wearing his fav shade of fuscia!"

BUT

"Make sure when completing your checklist you enter a date into the intended travel date section. This section is the one that defines when your interview is likely to be scheduled" That is a handy tip. And thus far I am yet to see the embassy volunteering that information on any of their forms.

Ack, I understand the difficulties in keeping such a thread or document relative. Which might be why a document is the best way forward. Less pages to skim through, all in one place, updatable.

K1

AOS complete!

mnb0ir.png

Timeline

I understand what you're saying but it's impossible to stop people from posting cr@p. Just go through this thread and see how many posts are off topic, including these about a pinned thread. :whistle::)

Just want to say that I am REALLY bad at doing any sort of searches. If I'm desperate for info I'll read sometimes 10 different threads until I find the info that I needed!

I also like the idea of somehow collecting even more detailed info together...

Back to topic (actually, isn't this the one that's just people, not necessarily on any particular topic?): Nik got packet 3 Yesterday. Woo hoo!

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.