allousa

Netflix suggestion for MENA peeps

152 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Can someone suggest me a good movie to watch this weekend ??? It may be humor,thriller,sentiment, anything.

A movie I put on a list frequently is "Rory O'Shea Was Here". It's a foreign film, but even though the Irish brogues are pretty thick, you can still understand it. Funny, heatbreaking and inspiring all in one. I really liked this film alot.

I saw Quarantine late last week. I wouldn't match it with classic horror films, but it was entertaining. The manner in which the film was shot in reminding me ALOT of "The Blair Witch Project". The ending is pretty freaky.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Furiously taking notes.....

Going to watch "Like Water for Chocolate" today. I'll come back and report.

Loved it!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Finished watching this film this weekend. I wasn't crazy over it, but it was alright. Tell me what you loved about it. I need help putting this film in more perspective. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Happy Sunday everyone ! Just returned from Blockbuster with "American East" (Two Clashing Cultures ~ One American Dream!) Allousa, I believe this is the film you suggested that originally inspired this thread :dance: I Will be back to report later...I like the cover shot with the woman wearing a headscarf and the American flag reflecting in her sunglasses !

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Cry Freedom-good movie about apartheid in South Africa (based on a true story of a guy named Biko and a journalist named Donald Woods)

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Totally non-MENA, we watched on HBO this weekend "What Happens in Vegas" with Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher - totally thought it was gonna be lame but I ended up laughing through most of it! Glad we watched it because normally I would have turned it right off.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

I just finished watching "The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till". I know this is not a MENA film, but this is a powerful documentary. While not as knowledgable as I would like to be on the history of the Civil Rights Movement, I felt like I was somewhat educated about what took place. I am ashamed to say that I really didn't know who Emmett Till was and what happened. This documentary reveals in very stark detail what happened to a 14 year old boy that simply whistled at a white woman in Mississippi in 1955. I am absolutely appalled that something like this happened in THIS country a little more than 50 years ago. I have tried to make myself knowledgable about human rights abuses throughout the world so that I could, in any way, shape or form, help to keep it from happening. Little did I realize how much happened in my own backyard.

This is a powerful documentary and I highly recommend it if you are interested in the history of this country.

Timeline

Just saw "Arranged" and I ABSOLUTELY loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to scroll back so I could give a proper shout out to Moody for recommending this film! :thumbs:

I've seen many of the "peace-making" films between Jews and Muslims. This was a refreshing twist on the concept. It's about two young women, one an Orthodox Jew and the other a Muslim and how they are faced with the pressure of arranged marriages within their families and cultures. It also deals with the perceived attitudes about Jews and Muslims. I really just loved it!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

the color of happiness ( it has enlish subtitles)

and I am watching One night with the king I am rather fond of this movie (for no particular reason)

and last night at 3am City of Angels .....

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Love the topic!

I didn't find any mention in this thread of a movie I loved: "The Syrian Bride".

It's a 1994 film by Israeli Director Eran Riklis I nicked the summary below from imdb.com user comments:

"The Syrian Bride" uses the familiar comic genre of the colliding tensions in an extended family wedding to humanistically illuminate Middle East political, gender, generational, religious, modernization and economic tensions coming down to human relationships vs. bureaucracies.

"Co-writers Suha Arraf (a Palestinian journalist) and Israeli director Eran Riklis pile almost too much on to this one Druze (Israeli Arab) family living in the occupied Golan Heights in order to make the personal political. The tensions, poignancy and symbolism of a wedding are heightened because when this bride leaves her home for her arranged marriage with a Syrian celebrity, she will not be able to return home."

...that makes it sound a bit dry and..well...symbolic, but I loved this film for its story, its drama, its setting (the village of Majdal Shams), and its emotion. This movie also will have an extra layer of meaning for many in the VJ world.

If you rent this, check out the special features: there's a fascinating short documentary about how a multi-national cast and crew made it all happen. (Unlike many "making of..." features, I think is one really is worthwhile.)

My heart has adopted every shape.

It has become a pasture for gazelles,

And a convent for Christian monks,

And a temple for idols,

And a pilgrim's Ka'ba,

The tables of a Torah,

And the pages of a Qu'ran.

I follow the religion of love.

Wherever love's camels turn,

There love is my religion and my faith.

Ibn al'Arabi, "Tarjuman al-Ashwak" (13th century)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for the idea of this movie: Promises. I watched it on the "Netflix instant Q" the other night and was so touched by it. It's awesome. Paradise Now is excellent.

We also liked the Syrian Bride. Twice I have seen Late Marriage (Israeli film) which is worth watching, quite unusual.

Can't wait for Lemon Tree also directed by E. Riklas (The Syrian Bride), coming soon!

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Timeline

Good suggestiions! Keep 'em coming.

Saw "7 Pounds" yesterday. You know, I just love Will Smith and I will watch just about anything he does. But if you don't have a prescription for anti-depressants....for the love of happiness, make sure you get some and take them before you watch this movie. It was about the saddest movie I have ever seen. You spend alot of the movie trying to figure out what it is that he is doing, what kind of "plan" he is putting together and when you do, it's just crushing. Like I said, I LOVE Will Smith, but unless you are in an exceptionally happy mood and need a downer....I wouldn't watch this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.