allousa

Netflix suggestion for MENA peeps

152 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just watched a documentary called "Jimmy Carter: A Man From Plains". At first I thought it was going to be just about his life, but it actually was focused on following him around during press/book tours of his book "Palestine: Peace Not Aparthied". It did reflect on certain parts of his life. It also showed footage of his meetings with Sadat and Begin at Camp David. Roselyn Carter talked about that time and what she revealed about what turned the process around was absolutely fascinating and something I hadn't heard before.

This wasn't at all what I was expecting but I'm so glad that I chose it. He talks ALOT about the Israeli-Palestinian issue. I would recommend this if that subject interests you at all.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Control Room is in the mail :thumbs: Oscar Sunday is fast approaching :dance: I watched Changeling last night, I know not MENA, but WOW ! I love Clint Eastwood as a director !!

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Timeline

Henna,

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of Control Room. I wish this film could be televised nationally.

So what did you think of Changeling?

I am SERIOUSLY pissed that Clint Eastwood was not given a nomination for Gran Torino...SERIOUSLY PISSED. Granted I haven't seen some of the films that are nominated, but this was a dayum good movie. He was absolutely incredible in that film. Some say that the film came out to late in the year and that was why he was snubbed....WHATEVER!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am SERIOUSLY pissed that Clint Eastwood was not given a nomination for Gran Torino...SERIOUSLY PISSED. Granted I haven't seen some of the films that are nominated, but this was a dayum good movie. He was absolutely incredible in that film. Some say that the film came out to late in the year and that was why he was snubbed....WHATEVER!

I finally saw Gran Torino yesterday...what a film! Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I finally saw Gran Torino yesterday...what a film! Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

He just went through such a range of development. I have seen alot of his films and I really feel like this is one of his best performances. He is so talented as an actor AND a director...he deserves the accolades and awards.

Did you see Letters from Iwo Jima? I LUV Chow Yun Fat. Thought he was brilliant. Directed by Mr. Eastwood of course!

Timeline

It's hard to believe the snub for Gran Torino esp. if it's true that this is Eastwood's last film as an actor. If it is, what a great final performance !! I am so impressed with his mellow directing style. He says he directs how he would want to be directed as an actor. I think some of the best directors have been actors and they understand the craft from both sides of the camera.

Changeling was powerful, but disturbing bc it was a true story and the way Angelina Jolie revealed this character to us under Eastwood's direction, well... :crying:

weight.png

Timeline

Henna, the subject matter IS the reason I haven't seen it yet. My biggest fear is that my son will be taken...it really is. I am not sure that I can emotionally handle the film, if that makes sense.

Ya'll just know I'm a card carrying "member" of the Oscar watchers, and Eastwood's snub is about to make me drop my card in the shredder.

I do really want to see Doubt. Looks good.

Since we are talking merits of actors here, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Willam H. Macy are two of the best character actors in the biz! I think they do take a back seat to Gene Hackman though.

Timeline
Henna, the subject matter IS the reason I haven't seen it yet. My biggest fear is that my son will be taken...it really is. I am not sure that I can emotionally handle the film, if that makes sense.

I totally understand that !! When my son was young I had 2 major scares that he was abducted. The first was when his school called (at 11:00 am) to say he had not arrived on the bus...my heart stopped (L) the secretary had just recorded it wrong and he was there all along!!! The other time he had actually managed to sleepwalk out of the house at 2am out on a busy street where he so easily could have been hit or taken. Now he's almost 21 and still gives me scares now and then of a different nature :whistle: I do believe we have both had Angels watching over us in life :innocent:

weight.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ya'll just know I'm a card carrying "member" of the Oscar watchers, and Eastwood's snub is about to make me drop my card in the shredder.

Since we are talking merits of actors here, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Willam H. Macy are two of the best character actors in the biz! I think they do take a back seat to Gene Hackman though.

Hubby n I have seen Doubt....omg the performances by P S Hoffman and Meryl Streep were incredible!!!! the weigh of the movie- if that makes sense- is in their scenes together! very well done!

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

I totally understand that !! When my son was young I had 2 major scares that he was abducted. The first was when his school called (at 11:00 am) to say he had not arrived on the bus...my heart stopped (L) the secretary had just recorded it wrong and he was there all along!!! The other time he had actually managed to sleepwalk out of the house at 2am out on a busy street where he so easily could have been hit or taken. Now he's almost 21 and still gives me scares now and then of a different nature :whistle: I do believe we have both had Angels watching over us in life :innocent:

OMG!!!! I would have simply DIED! I mean really, my heart would have just stopped beating. How awful for you.

Hubby n I have seen Doubt....omg the performances by P S Hoffman and Meryl Streep were incredible!!!! the weigh of the movie- if that makes sense- is in their scenes together! very well done!

That very much makes sense. I have always that P S Hoffman was a really good actor...then I saw him in Capote, which I do believe he won the Oscar for that year. It was very well deserved.

of course! i don't think there are any movies with kate winslet or said taghmaoui in them that i haven't seen :)

(i saw him on lost last night for a few seconds too!)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline
did anyone see Hideous Kinky?

Yes ! I am a big Kate Winslet fan, but from what I remember that one was kinda strange. I vaguely remember a steamy laundry room scene :unsure:

weight.png

Timeline

Allousa (F)

You mentioned before your love of movies, and people seek out your advise for films. If you have a particular interest/passion for MENA films, have you considered writing a blog? I have a movie review website/blog in the works that I will be launching soon. Blogs are becoming huge and some get purchased for big $$$ or made into books !!

Something to consider if you love MENA films, and what we have been doing already in this thread is blogging about our love of film and sharing that with others :dance:

weight.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.