allousa

Netflix suggestion for MENA peeps

152 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I really wanted the MIL and wacky neighbor to get into it. The strangest part of the movie was that I wasn't sure if the neighbors were supposed to be funny! The rest of the movie was on such a different note that I almost felt bad laughing at their antics!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

We just watched Al Jazeera over the weekend! It was awesome. I really liked it. But I love Ahmed El Saka!! Puffy heart..Tito! :blush:

Al Jazeera (2007) Starring: Ahmed El Saka, Mahmoud Yasseen, Hind Sabri

Based on a true story, this drama revolves around Mansour El Hisni, a man who inherits from his father not only power and fortune, but a drug business thriving on a self-sufficient island. Life above the law begins to change for Mansour when he falls in love with Karima.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

takes place in mena

hidalgo.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

there's a few movies from north africa playing at the african film festival here. i want to see all of them, but between talking someone into watching the kids and my husband's work schedule we'll be lucky if we get out to see just one of them. anyways, they are all on netflix i think.

they're called

zaina

bab'aziz the prince who contemplated his soul

azur and asmar (animated)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Saw Inch' Allah Dimanche over the weekend.

Okay, the MIL, man I wanted to take her out back and whup her butt. What a mean woman!!!!

I too was left scratching my head over the ending. All of a sudden...I was like...what????? :wacko:

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Timeline
^^^^ Didn't you secretly want her to hook up with the cute bus driver? Her husband was a tool.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so hoping that would happen and I THOUGHT that was what was happening until the end. :angry:

The movie did prompt Hicham and I to have a discussion of the male/female roles in MENA. It was an interesting discussion and we didn't end up arguing over it...which was good. :lol:

Hicham watched it as well. He said it was interesting but wasn't sure if the movie was trying to demonize Islam. He said he could only imagine if say, my grandmother saw this film and what she would come away saying. He said that men who beat their wives are not following the true Islam...that it's not right. He said it was his experience in Morocco that men who hit their wives were drinkers. He also told me that in Morocco, it was the woman who controlled the family and NOT the man.

Hicham also was under the impression that only men from "lower class" hit their wives. I was like, OH NO Honey, it happens all across the board. I was really able to add alot from my many years of volunteer work with Rape Crisis/Domestic Violence.

We both learned alot from each other. :)

Oh good you watched it! I didn't see it as demonizing Muslims, I saw it more as trying to demonize the husband and showed just how weak he was. I mean his mom totally dominated. Did you not lol when the wife beat the ####### out of that neighbor and then...broke her ceramic rooster? OMG I was lolling!!! The husband did not care for the movie and went to watch TV in the other room about 30 mins into it. Just after the husband beat the wife for the neighbor incident. He didn't like that the woman didn't speak up for herself or really even talk much at all. He found it unrealistic. I know media likes to show mid eastern/muslim women as meek but the mister knows better. ;) He does have four sisters. :)

^^^^ Didn't you secretly want her to hook up with the cute bus driver? Her husband was a tool.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so hoping that would happen and I THOUGHT that was what was happening until the end. :angry:

The movie did prompt Hicham and I to have a discussion of the male/female roles in MENA. It was an interesting discussion and we didn't end up arguing over it...which was good. :lol:

Hicham watched it as well. He said it was interesting but wasn't sure if the movie was trying to demonize Islam. He said he could only imagine if say, my grandmother saw this film and what she would come away saying. He said that men who beat their wives are not following the true Islam...that it's not right. He said it was his experience in Morocco that men who hit their wives were drinkers. He also told me that in Morocco, it was the woman who controlled the family and NOT the man.

Hicham also was under the impression that only men from "lower class" hit their wives. I was like, OH NO Honey, it happens all across the board. I was really able to add alot from my many years of volunteer work with Rape Crisis/Domestic Violence.

We both learned alot from each other. :)

Timeline

I was SO GLAD that she whipped up on that neighbor! Hicham was cheering for her...he winked at me and said you don't mess with a woman's kids...do ya? I gave him the "momma lion" look and said that's right!

I sort of felt the same way you did that I didn't see it as being critical of Islam, but the husband and MIL. It was tough for me to watch that other Algerian woman abandon her though.

Still would have liked to see her run off with the bus driver and give that MIL the big fat middle finger!!!!

Hahahahaha...that would've been a great ending! At least the husband said something, the MIL's face was priceless when he told her off. Although I felt it was too little, too late. What a jerk!!!!!!

I was SO GLAD that she whipped up on that neighbor! Hicham was cheering for her...he winked at me and said you don't mess with a woman's kids...do ya? I gave him the "momma lion" look and said that's right!

I sort of felt the same way you did that I didn't see it as being critical of Islam, but the husband and MIL. It was tough for me to watch that other Algerian woman abandon her though.

Still would have liked to see her run off with the bus driver and give that MIL the big fat middle finger!!!!

Timeline
Yes, I got it. :) I'm trying to respond without taking 2 hours like last time, lol. :D

Did you get my PM, by the way? I know it was long. I was having a moment this morning. :whistle:

Good luck! I was so long winded...it's probably going to take you two hours JUST to read it!!!!! :lol:

I have to say that I'm a SUPER fast typist. I have to do quite a bit of typing for my job, so my WPM is over a 100.

I can be a bit overwhelming in a chat room....you know...chatty cathy and all that! :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.