allousa

Netflix suggestion for MENA peeps

152 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Ooh, I have a suggestion, especially for anyone who likes quirky movies, beautiful scenery and/or loves soccer:

"The Great Match"--In this unconventional comedy, writer-director Gerardo Olivares tracks the individual journeys of three far-flung groups of soccer fans: a tribe of Amazonian indios, a family of Mongolian nomads and a caravan of Tuareg people in the Sahara Desert. Overcome with a desire to watch the 2002 World Cup between Brazil and Germany play out on television, these unlikely soccer buffs make a 500-kilometer trek to find a town with a working TV set (description from Netflix).

You can rent it or watch instantly on Netflix--my husband and I both loved it! :star::star::star::star::star:

That sounds like a fun one we'd both like.

We're having my sister over with her copy of "Lawrence of Arabia." My husband has never seen it. First time I saw it was on the big screen, and that can't be duplicated, but it's still beautiful.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I HIGHLY recommend Control Room. Incredible documentary.

I recently selected a movie for Hicham, "Goal: The Dream Begins". It's a soccer movie. He loved it. I ended up watching and loved it as well.

He also wanted me to get "The Message", so we should be watching it this weekend. I know he's seen it a bunch and I've seen it twice I think.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I HIGHLY recommend Control Room. Incredible documentary.

I recently selected a movie for Hicham, "Goal: The Dream Begins". It's a soccer movie. He loved it. I ended up watching and loved it as well.

He also wanted me to get "The Message", so we should be watching it this weekend. I know he's seen it a bunch and I've seen it twice I think.

Loved this movie also!! Sequel is Goal 2. Also Goal 3 (but I don't know if it has been released yet).

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just got the Yacoubian building and Control Room.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Movies regarding Palestine (I think they have trailers on Netflix):

Private:

Documentary filmmaker Saverio Costanzo directs a drama inspired by actual events, set in the isolated home of a Palestinian family living halfway between a Palestinian village and an Israeli settlement. After the family home is seized by invading Israeli soldiers, patriarch Mohammad must find a way to protect what's his without violating his nonviolent principles. Lior Miller, Mohammad Bakri, Tomer Russo, Areen Omari and Hend Ayoub co-star

9-Star Hotel

Middle Eastern filmmaker Ido Haar's documentary tells the fascinating story of a group of Palestinian construction workers who live on the border in a ramshackle community and cross into Israel every day to work clandestinely, risking their lives to provide for their distant families. Though they live in fear of the border patrol, the men have developed tight bonds as they survive this unusual existence together.

PalestineArt5.jpg

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am so glad to see some interesting movies to check on. My husband and I have netflex and we love it. We have gotton alot of bollywood movies and now i have to admitt I am hooked our most favorite is Kabhi Khusi Kabhie Gham

we have watched it alot since we have it and we know all of the songs , my kids also love many more of the bollywood movies We also try to choose the "art" movies from bollywood and they are ecellent.

To add my two cents in here we saw Slummdog and yes its a good movie.

Another movie that is American but I liked it alot is Rendition. Its set in Morooco and I loved it. Also a Pakistani movie (lollywood) is In the Name of God.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Timeline

I've mentioned this movie here before, I think:

"Water" This is one of my all time favorite movies. It's a "Bollywood" director but not one of your typical bollywood films. It took the director over five years to get this film made because of the subject matter. It is a VERY moving film AND it was my introduction to John Abraham, who takes a 2nd place to my husband...is the most gorgeous man to walk this earth!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Movies/Documentaries I've seen via Netflix re: Mid East including Iran and India:

Inch'Allah Dimanche-Algeria/France-loved it! the mother in law was great as a miserable, awful nag of a woman.

Leila-Iran-loved it!

Arranged-Jewish/Syrian relations in NY-nice little movie about cultures being alike and different at the same time.

Water-India-Amazingly good! I cried it was so touching.

Children of Heaven-Iran-really touching, I loved it!

The Band's Visit-Egypt/Israel-Ok movie, husband didn't like it since most actors playing Egyptian roles were Palestinian. Quite slow and rather boring.

Heavy Metal in Baghdad-Iraq-Documentary about Iraqi heavy metal band, Acrassacauda...really good!

The Kite Runner-Afghanistan-great movie of course, very touching, ubiquitous.

Waiting for Happiness-Mauritania-Boring, I couldn't watch more than 10 mins of it.

Syriana-US-US/Mid East politics-Great flick and George Clooney...I mean come on.

On deck for future viewing:

Daughters of Keltoum-Algeria

The Color of Paradise-Iran

Monsieur Ibrahim-France-Omar Sharif as Monsieur Ibrahim

Kandahar-Afghanistan

Earth-India

Fire-India

Fireworks Wednesday-Iran

The Unwanted Woman-Iran

Timeline

Here goes my fav's that I recommend from Netflix:

Volver

Pan's Labyrinth

Gaza Strip

Born into Brothels

Dear Frankie

Bride and Prejudice (straight UP bollywood)

Mandela and de Klerk

Children of Heaven ( :wub: )

Lust, Caution (Chinese)

The Kite Runner

Lilya 4-Ever (difficult subject matter, deals with human trafficking...I think more people need to be SHOCKED at human trafficking and help to see that it no longer exists!)

Ali Zaoua: Prince of the Streets (Moroccan)

Rana's Wedding (Palestinian)

Rory O'Shea Was Here

Tsotsi (South Africa)

Taxi to the Dark Side (Afghan-documentary)

Emmanuel's Gift (Ghana-documentary) (:wub:)

The Sea Inside

Death in Gaza

Rabbit Proof Fence (Australian)

Curse of the Golden Flower

Kinky Boots

Ms. Palfrey at the Claremont

These are all foreign, not necessarily MENA. I am a HUGE movie buff! We get at least 3 movies a week.

Timeline
Movies/Documentaries I've seen via Netflix re: Mid East including Iran and India:

Inch'Allah Dimanche-Algeria/France-loved it! the mother in law was great as a miserable, awful nag of a woman.

Leila-Iran-loved it!

Arranged-Jewish/Syrian relations in NY-nice little movie about cultures being alike and different at the same time.

The Band's Visit-Egypt/Israel-Ok movie, husband didn't like it since most actors playing Egyptian roles were Palestinian. Quite slow and rather boring.

Heavy Metal in Baghdad-Iraq-Documentary about Iraqi heavy metal band, Acrassacauda...really good!

Waiting for Happiness-Mauritania-Boring, I couldn't watch more than 10 mins of it.

Syriana-US-US/Mid East politics-Great flick and George Clooney...I mean come on.

Kandahar-Afghanistan

Earth-India

Fire-India

Fireworks Wednesday-Iran

The Unwanted Woman-Iran

Thanks for more suggestions. I've already loaded up some of these in my queue. A few of them I already had on deck waiting to see.

I just loved the film "Water". I LOVE the director. I also saw her other film "Earth". It is really good as well. As much as I thought I knew about history, I never knew that India's past was so bloody. I really learned alot from this film.

I'm sure Hicham will be anxious to see some of the ones you suggested as well.

Thanks!!!!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

Bride and Prejudice was cute and cheesy. :)

Allousa-I see that you also watched Children of Heaven...weren't those kids the cutest? So charming.

What can I say about Water? Amazing and John Abraham...whoa mama!

I wrote down your suggestions as well. I LOVE foreign films...LOVE! Thanks for the great suggestions!

I don't know how your husband does with slower movies but he may like The Band's Visit simply because of the Palestinian actors and subject matter. It kinda reminded me of a foreign Napolean Dynamite only not as funny.

I wholeheartedly recommend Inch'Allah Dimanche. My husband didn't care for it, he thought the subject matter was kinda depressing. I liked it because it showed how the woman tried to adapt to a new country/culture plus the mother in law was so horrible that she was hilarious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Leila-Iran-loved it!

(A very good movie)

Kandahar-Afghanistan

Earth-India

Fire-India

Fireworks Wednesday-Iran

The Unwanted Woman-Iran

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.