Tankgurl38

DS-230 - List Trips to the US

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I put my last 3 visits and they were fine with that

So I think we can deduce that you can enter whatever takes your fancy :lol:

But seriously. You can just list your last three visits and if they don't ask about your visits to the U.S. during the interview - that will be fine - but what if the conversation went like this:

"So, you have only visited the U.S. 3 times?"

"Well no, I have visited many times over the years, but I couldn't remember them all"

So basically you have now lied on the form.

I'm not trying to make drama where none is due, but I think krikit's answer is the safest 'correct' answer and it covers the bases - just my opinion.

Well it's not necessarily lying.... its answering the question to the best of your knowledge. I live an hour from the border and go for day trips frequently to shop - so there is no possible way for me to remember every single date. I mean I could if I wanted to spend hours searching my emails with my shopping plans etc., but that seems like a lot of effort for one measly question. Especially when I know I'm not even close to the 6 month mark. I suppose if you travel for longer periods of time and they see a pattern in that, they will ask.

I think for the DS160, the last 3 trips would be fine. You aren't lying, you're just stating the most recent and memorable trips. I think as long as they see you hold a job, travel back and forth semi-regularly, you haven't stayed. I'm sure they look at a variety of aspects - like how long you live in one spot, how long you hold a job etc. to better assess your 'risk' of overstay. I think they look for patterns... but that's just my theory.

I don't know, I'm a very laid back person, so I figure if they want more information I'm totally willing to give it, but I'm not going to kill myself over it or worry about it. I mean heck, I was going to get a letter from my Dr. for proof of Gardasil, miss work for an appointment to get the letter etc. and they didn't even want it!! All they wanted was it written in my immunization booklet, which I could've done myself!

Anyways, I digress. If you think you could be asked about an overstay, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and list out everything. I consider myself pretty black and white. We have easy access to eachother and are able to have shorter, more frequent visits, I have a full time job that I cannot just be away from... so I think that all of the other information along with my DS160 answer with my last 10 visits shows that I don't have any overstays.

Hopefully I'm not being too laid back about it all, I figure if they want more information they will ask and I will provide.

I thought we were talking about the DS-230

25. List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States. (If never, write "never") Give type of visa status, if known. Give DHS "A" number if any.

I think the question is pretty specific, I don't know what the 160 asks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^ Yes I agree, it is specific, but I don't think it makes or breaks the application and if you only know of your last 3, I don't think they are going to come back and say you lied... visa denied... that's my point. You have to answer all the questions to the best of your knowledge. For some people, like myself, I have probably over 100 visits to the US in my lifetime. There's no way I would ever be able to list ALL previous visits. I think they recognize that when you live close to the border, that's just not possible. So listing the last 3 or so and then stating you have too many visits to list, is sufficient. And, my point is that they have more than 1 form to go by, they also have the DS160, which I think is a good cross reference.

If someone wants to put all 100 visits, all the more power to them. I didn't think it seemed plausible in my situation and think that everyone should answer each question to the best of their ability/knowledge.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Timeline
Lol. I did read the post krit. I meant for on the 160. If it asks for timelines, even if I put multiple trips over X period, if they ask for the last 10...hmm...

*hides from Krit's ebil hammer wimpering* :lol:

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

I rescind my ebil hammering. :blush:

Lol. For some reason I can totally see you running around with a little inflatable mallet. Ah well. My mind is all garbled so I'm not making much sense today. My appologies.

And for some reason I picture it being one of those plastic squeaky toys. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline
^^ Yes I agree, it is specific, but I don't think it makes or breaks the application and if you only know of your last 3, I don't think they are going to come back and say you lied... visa denied... that's my point. You have to answer all the questions to the best of your knowledge. For some people, like myself, I have probably over 100 visits to the US in my lifetime. There's no way I would ever be able to list ALL previous visits. I think they recognize that when you live close to the border, that's just not possible. So listing the last 3 or so and then stating you have too many visits to list, is sufficient. And, my point is that they have more than 1 form to go by, they also have the DS160, which I think is a good cross reference.

If someone wants to put all 100 visits, all the more power to them. I didn't think it seemed plausible in my situation and think that everyone should answer each question to the best of their ability/knowledge.

No I agree with you - listing the last three and then too many to list, or what krikit proposed, seems fine to me too (as I mentioned earlier). In your original post you mentioned just listing the three.

Ok, i'm done with this thread :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Haha I appologize more sincerly for hijacking the thread and confusing everyone.

And yes krit, I was picture one of those ones you get at the carnival. The huge neon coloured ones that sqeek :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

We just filled out ours a week ago and just put the visits I had since the whole "passport" requirement came into effect, since I have stamps for those visits.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Timeline

No I agree with you - listing the last three and then too many to list, or what krikit proposed, seems fine to me too (as I mentioned earlier). In your original post you mentioned just listing the three.

Ok, i'm done with this thread :)

:star: I didn't even do that, so we'll see what happens! I actually noticed that I missed part of a date on one of the questions.. so I'm not sure what happens there either, LOL. I guess I'll fix it when I get to Montreal haha.

I am so just like whatever at this point!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

If they wanted to know your last 3 trips, I'd imagine that the question would be, "List your last 3 trips".

Use common sense. If you had any "major trips" that you remember dates of, then list them. I listed my main trips to the U.S. and included a blurb that said something to the effect of "Numerous 1-3 day trips for shopping and concerts, since I live near the border."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
If they wanted to know your last 3 trips, I'd imagine that the question would be, "List your last 3 trips".

Use common sense. If you had any "major trips" that you remember dates of, then list them. I listed my main trips to the U.S. and included a blurb that said something to the effect of "Numerous 1-3 day trips for shopping and concerts, since I live near the border."

yeah that is similar to what I put on the form..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just stated "numerous" on the form. It didn't come up at the interview.

Of course, in my paranoia, just before the interview I did my best effort at a complete lifetime list. It was kinda silly to do it, but I was covering all my angles.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I also would like some clarification on q25. I just wanted to confirm that this does not include entering the U.S to transfer flights. One NVC agent told me all border crossings are to be included while another stated that it should just be all visits into the US where I actually stayed in the U.S. Has anyone included dates of entry into the us to catch a conection flight? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

I-130 sent: October 14,2008

NOA1 received: October 24, 2008

Transferred to CSC: January 14, 2009

Touched: January 19, 2009

Touched: January 22, 2009

Touched: January 23, 2009

I-130 NAO2 Approval sent!!!: February 10, 2009

Touched: February 11, 2009

Case received at NVC: February 13, 2009 (assigned NVC case #)

AOS fee bill and DS-3032 sent by NVC: Feb 18, 2009

Timeline
Hi everyone,

I also would like some clarification on q25. I just wanted to confirm that this does not include entering the U.S to transfer flights. One NVC agent told me all border crossings are to be included while another stated that it should just be all visits into the US where I actually stayed in the U.S. Has anyone included dates of entry into the us to catch a conection flight? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

It's only previous visits and residences, not transits - I doubt they consider that as a visit - I wouldn't bother to include it (and we didn't).

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline

Just as an FYI for everyone..... my husband called the NVC to ask about this question because we all know how crazy it is for Canadians to list how many times we've been to the United States. Anyway, they told him that the purpose of the question was to determine whether there was every any overstays and that they knew that Canadians were here all the time so didn't require a list of each and every visit. They said all we needed to enter was "Numerous visits but none lasting longer than <insert longest #of weeks/months you've ever stayed>".

So that's what I entered and they were fine with it. :)

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.