Neophyte282

Canadian marrying US military

49 posts in this topic

I'm doing the AoS. I'm filling out the I-130, I-485 and I-765 along with the I-131.I really think I need to take these papers to someone, I'm really confused with some of the questions. Like when it asks for info on the I-94. All my passport says is date of entry Jan 16, 2009 and I am given a B2 visa. I know they say it's 6 months I can stay, but I don't know the exact date when it will expire. It asks for an employer and I don't have one. I applied for EI and they are trying to tell me I don't qualify but I know I have enough hours when they say they don't.. so I guess I just leave that area blank. And when it comes to addresses, I'm not too sure whether i should put my US address where I will be living on all of them or my one in Canada. Some fields specify for the Canada or US one, others don't. It asks if we are married where we last lived together, and that is where I am now (we rented an apartment and I can't put my name on the lease until I have a SSN) so I'm not sure if I should put that since my status is still visitor. And the eligibility categories for the I-765... I have no idea where to find that.

This takes me to the evidence of Bonifide marriage. Since I can't go on the lease, I can't use that. But I have been buying stuff for the apartment and paid for part of the deposit for the lease... maybe I can use that for proof... ack, so overwhelmed!

Oh ya, does my husband need a copy of his birth certificate or SSN card? He can't find them. :(

Congratulations on the marriage! My fiance is US military as well, originally from GA! Put your current address as the US address that you will be living with your husband. For the G-325 A you must list all of your previous addresses. Your status will be pending adjustment of status, can't remember what the code is but its in the instructions for the I-765. If you don't have a joint lease because of the SSN issue for the proof of bonafide relationship you could get sworn affadivits from family members, friends, a witness that attended the wedding. You could also make a copy of your military dependent ID card with your married name on it.

Anyways, hope this helps, take a look at the guides and also the example forms on VJ they were a great help to me when my fiance and I filled out the forms for the I-129F petition. Good luck!

oops I forgot to add that for the I-130 your husband will need to make copy of his birth certificate or a copy of his passport, my fiance lost his and it took about 2 weeks for him to receive a new one! This time he ordered three! LOL

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Like when it asks for info on the I-94. All my passport says is date of entry Jan 16, 2009 and I am given a B2 visa. I know they say it's 6 months I can stay, but I don't know the exact date when it will expire.

The I-130 serves many purposes - ie: different scenarios, so it has stuff on it that may not apply to you - which does make it a bit confusing.

I'm confused with your question/statement though. My understanding is that the B2 visa in your passport should have an expiration date.

It asks for an employer and I don't have one.

That seems completely normal. You are not authorized to work, so just put N/A.

I applied for EI and they are trying to tell me I don't qualify but I know I have enough hours when they say they don't.. so I guess I just leave that area blank.

I doubt they would care about your EI income. Oh and on these visa application forms, never leave an area blank (unless they specifically tell you to) write in N/A.

And when it comes to addresses, I'm not too sure whether i should put my US address where I will be living on all of them or my one in Canada.

Use your U.S. address. For instance:

18. Address in the United States where your relative intends to live. - this is your current address

19. Your relative's address abroad. - here you would put in N/A

Just try to remember when filling out the form, that it is also used for other visa applications, as I mentioned and a lot of the time the other person is living in a different country when they apply.

It asks if we are married where we last lived together, and that is where I am now (we rented an apartment and I can't put my name on the lease until I have a SSN) so I'm not sure if I should put that since my status is still visitor. And the eligibility categories for the I-765... I have no idea where to find that.

21. If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together. - this would be your current address.

This takes me to the evidence of Bonifide marriage. Since I can't go on the lease, I can't use that. But I have been buying stuff for the apartment and paid for part of the deposit for the lease... maybe I can use that for proof.

You can also use pictures, letters you have written to each other - affidavits from other people (I. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship) can you get a joint bank account (some banks will allow this).

Oh ya, does my husband need a copy of his birth certificate or SSN card? He can't find them.

As someone already mentioned, he will need a copy of his birth certificate.

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.