HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee just had her interview at the end of March. We followed the checklist that was on the Embassy website.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/k_instructions_package_may09.pdf

She had her interview scheduled 3 days after sending Packet 3 to the embassy and had no issues at the interview. So if you follow the directions on the checklist that is on the Embassy website, you will have no issues. Don't know what happens if you don't.

Also, I think all the directions are consistent in that all forms must be submitted. The only question I had was whether or not original documents needed to be mailed back with Packet 3. That is what seems to be inconsistent. We sent the original forms that we filled out.

Thanks for the help. This seems a little clearer now. We'll just mail all the original forms and keep copies. Also, did you mail more evidence of the relationship with the DS-2001 or was that something that she just brought with her to the interview? I think this should be my last question and then this thing goes in the mail. Congratulations on having the interview done by the way. I look forward to getting to that point.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Here is my suggestion to you:

Never do just the minimum. The minimum is for those that do everything perfect. You have to appear as though you have nothing to hide, that you are showing them everything. When you do the minimum it can appear as if you are hiding something, so they will dig deeper.

When I was putting together the evidence, I approached it as I was putting together a novel. I arranged the evidence in a way that told a story. I broke it up into chapters. Each chapter had a cover page and a quick summary. This is your only chance and opportunity to lead them down the path you want them to go. Tell them what your story is, and don't allow them to tell you your story. Whenever you don't provide something you are allowing them to tell you your story. Their story for you will be the worst case scenario.

Thanks for the advice. I will include the last two tax years as well.

As far as evidence. I have hotel receipts, boarding passes, visa stamps on my passport, evidence of taking trip together in Manila, Skype Phone calls, Emails, pictures, engagement ring receipts, and my most recent $723 wireless bill. I hope that is evidence enough.

2010-02-26: Mailed I-129F to CSC via USPS Priority

2010-02-27: Recieved by CSC

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-02: Check Cashed

2010-04-20: "Touched"

2010-04-20: USCIS Online NOA2 Approval (No email or text received)

2010-04-26: NOA2 Hard copy received in the mail.

2010-04-26: Confirmed NVC received

2010-04-28: NVC Shipped case to Bangkok Embassy

2010-05-03: Embassy recieved

2010-05-05: Packet 3 sent to Embassy

2010-05-10: Embassy received Packet 3

2010-06-01: Ying receives phone call from US Embassy about interview date.

2010-06-22: Interview Passed!! Experience

2010-06-29: Pick up VISA

2010-07-02: Fly to USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Here is my suggestion to you:

Never do just the minimum. The minimum is for those that do everything perfect. You have to appear as though you have nothing to hide, that you are showing them everything. When you do the minimum it can appear as if you are hiding something, so they will dig deeper.

When I was putting together the evidence, I approached it as I was putting together a novel. I arranged the evidence in a way that told a story. I broke it up into chapters. Each chapter had a cover page and a quick summary. This is your only chance and opportunity to lead them down the path you want them to go. Tell them what your story is, and don't allow them to tell you your story. Whenever you don't provide something you are allowing them to tell you your story. Their story for you will be the worst case scenario.

Very well said. :thumbs:

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Timeline

Good morning, everyone!

I was wondering. What did you all do to transfer your spouse's credit and bank accounts to the US?

Husby and I have been 'round and 'round on this. He's thinking of just buying some very nice baht chains to bring over. Not that I would mind a beautiful bracelet for my birthday, but I'm sure there has to be a better way. And that still doesn't solve the issue of credit, which Husby has absolutely no idea about.

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

Embassy :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good morning, everyone!

I was wondering. What did you all do to transfer your spouse's credit and bank accounts to the US?

Husby and I have been 'round and 'round on this. He's thinking of just buying some very nice baht chains to bring over. Not that I would mind a beautiful bracelet for my birthday, but I'm sure there has to be a better way. And that still doesn't solve the issue of credit, which Husby has absolutely no idea about.

Hi TheBears, nice to see you. She will leave the Bank accounts there. It is different for us. She is leaving them with her mother and we don't need the money here.

The credit is a much more important matter. A person has to have a credit rating in the USA. I do not believe the Credit Card or ratings or whatever is done in Thailand will transfer here. I plan to give Audy another card or two attached to my credit card accounts. Those are for her use in Emergency or reasonable purchases she wants to make.

That does nothing for her credit rating in the US even if I add her name to the account. You need to build a credit record for them. To start this, get them their own credit card, probably through your bank or credit union. Do not put your name on this account. They will usually only give a $500 credit limit and you must keep $500 in a bank account that is theirs and they cannot use the money in the account. So it is not really credit or risk yet. Over time the bank will improve a credit rating and maybe start issuing higher credit limits and add to their credit rating.

My fiancee does not have any credit cards, never bought a house and has no credit rating in Thailand. I doubt it would move here anyway so I will build a credit rating from when she arrives. Their are certain lower grade cards your husband might qualify for on his own such as Sears or JCPenny's.

Edited by Audy_Rob

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Good afternoon, Rob. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Husby is very attached to the idea that as a husband he should be providing for our family no matter what. Generally, I agree. Except that he's moving across the ocean to a country he's never been to before while I've grown up here and have a good job. His way of compensation is to leave half of his money in his account to take care of his mother until he's settled here and can send money back. The other half he wants to bring here to help me.

We were talking last night and I so very badly wanted to tell him, "Thank you, but we're going to be fine. We won't need the 'help.' Focus on finding proof of your good credit history." But that would have been pretty devastating to his ego. So that's why I ask about the accounts.

Neither one of us are very knowledgeable about the workings of the credit system in Thailand. I assume it's similar to here, but he's not so sure. He uses his card, then pays the balance over a period of 2 months before using it again. The house and land he and his mother live in are his. Eh... I doubt it transfers, but I'd rather he have a good, even reduced, basis than having to start over again.

Oh, well. That's part of the deal. We both knew it when we committed to this path.

Did you ask Audy about being swapped at birth by a pee?

Husby got pretty sick when he was 6 weeks old, so his parents decided to change his name. He got better, and to this day tells they're all certain that ghosts and other spirits exist.

Oh! If you have children together, don't be surprised if she walks through the house once with a knife before the baby can be brought inside. Scaring away away any pee that might be lurking around waiting for the little one. I got to see that when my husband's neice was brought home. Very cool, indeed. Or Audy may not believe in ghosts.

Embassy :

Timeline

Husby is very attached to the idea that as a husband he should be providing for our family no matter what. Generally, I agree. Except that he's moving across the ocean to a country he's never been to before while I've grown up here and have a good job. His way of compensation is to leave half of his money in his account to take care of his mother until he's settled here and can send money back. The other half he wants to bring here to help me.

We were talking last night and I so very badly wanted to tell him, "Thank you, but we're going to be fine. We won't need the 'help.' Focus on finding proof of your good credit history." But that would have been pretty devastating to his ego. So that's why I ask about the accounts.

Neither one of us are very knowledgeable about the workings of the credit system in Thailand. I assume it's similar to here, but he's not so sure. He uses his card, then pays the balance over a period of 2 months before using it again. The house and land he and his mother live in are his. Eh... I doubt it transfers, but I'd rather he have a good, even reduced, basis than having to start over again.

Oh, well. That's part of the deal. We both knew it when we committed to this path.

Husby got pretty sick when he was 6 weeks old, so his parents decided to change his name. He got better, and to this day tells they're all certain that ghosts and other spirits exist.

Oh! If you have children together, don't be surprised if she walks through the house once with a knife before the baby can be brought inside. Scaring away away any pee that might be lurking around waiting for the little one. I got to see that when my husband's neice was brought home. Very cool, indeed. Or Audy may not believe in ghosts.

Must be from Isaan.............my wife has STRONG beliefs. Weekly I have to get fresh red juice so we can leave it out for Sam Baht (sp?)

Unless he is a physician, RN, or some kind of credentialed professional (and even THEN) you really should prepare him for the fact that, for a new immigrant, finding a job here is exceptionally difficult. Especially if his English is less than perfect. Most Thai immigrants that find jobs end up working at Thai restaurants. My wife has a Thai friend that is an RN that had trouble finding a job, and that's probably the best career situation possible.

Credit ratings are basically non transferrable. Even if you do collect this credit information--likely in Thai--what are you going to do with it? You don't go to Experian or Trans Union and provide information, they get it from the banks, etc. that report to them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I do not think there's any credit rating in Thailand.. but what do I know, was never in Thailand long enough after collage anyway. The only thing I saw when I was still in collage was that they came to our campus (ABAC) and would offer credit card to students, I've never needed one so never got it.

The idea to build credit in the US - I got Capital one credit card with $300 credit by myself - my first credit card. I think they give it out to people like collage kids - then I use it for small things and pay it off each month. Then after a few months of doing that, there are more credit card offers in the mail with more credit line. I chose to go with American express (no credit limits but pay off every month) - then after a year Bank of America with 12K credit line. Then I close Capital one after 3 years with them coz they still only give me $500 credit lol. I'm still only use those 2 credit cards and pay off every month.

To bring my money here I just exchanged the Baht to USD - there is this place that gives you a better rate (I have no clue where, my friends did this for me) And I also pay the flight, the moving cost , shoppings, living expenses in Bangkok etc...with my money (in cash) so that I dont have too much to carry into the US.

That's interesting.. I've never heard something like that before. Nobody in my family said anything about it to me either (as you can see i'm about to pop soon blush.gif ) I'll ask my mom if she've heard anything like it.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Timeline

Must be from Isaan.............my wife has STRONG beliefs. Weekly I have to get fresh red juice so we can leave it out for Sam Baht (sp?)

:yes: I've seen some of that. More from my ex's family than from Husby, though. Then again, they're from Ubon, and he's from Nakhon Pathom. Big difference.

Unless he is a physician, RN, or some kind of credentialed professional (and even THEN) you really should prepare him for the fact that, for a new immigrant, finding a job here is exceptionally difficult. Especially if his English is less than perfect. Most Thai immigrants that find jobs end up working at Thai restaurants. My wife has a Thai friend that is an RN that had trouble finding a job, and that's probably the best career situation possible.

Credit ratings are basically non transferrable. Even if you do collect this credit information--likely in Thai--what are you going to do with it? You don't go to Experian or Trans Union and provide information, they get it from the banks, etc. that report to them.

Thank you for adding, Tom. I didn't even think about how any information we'd get would probably be in Thai. I could translate it, but you're completely right about Experian not getting their information from us. Oh well.

About working, he's a lawyer. I've looked into the requirements for him to practice in our state. It'll take about a year and a half. There's a possibility of him working with my dad, a lawyer as well, but it's not certain. Even if he didn't go back to law, we should be good. His English is about the same as my former MIL who has been here since she was 17. We've talked about how he'll more than likely be at home for a few months while he gets accustomed to being here. He's not happy about it, seeing it as a housewife role, but knows that it will take time before he gets a job. That was a major thing we discussed when figuring out if I was going there or if he was coming here, but it couldn't hurt to talk about it a little more. Thanks for the advice.

Embassy :

Timeline

Thank you, Miss Anya.

If your mom knows what it's called, let me know. I'll ask Husby when I talk to him tonight.

I hope your labor goes smoothly and that you and the baby are healthy.

Embassy :

Thank you for adding, Tom. I didn't even think about how any information we'd get would probably be in Thai. I could translate it, but you're completely right about Experian not getting their information from us. Oh well.

About working, he's a lawyer. I've looked into the requirements for him to practice in our state. It'll take about a year and a half. There's a possibility of him working with my dad, a lawyer as well, but it's not certain. Even if he didn't go back to law, we should be good. His English is about the same as my former MIL who has been here since she was 17. We've talked about how he'll more than likely be at home for a few months while he gets accustomed to being here. He's not happy about it, seeing it as a housewife role, but knows that it will take time before he gets a job. That was a major thing we discussed when figuring out if I was going there or if he was coming here, but it couldn't hurt to talk about it a little more. Thanks for the advice.

That's better than most, for sure. A lot of people find taking professional boards in a language other than the one in which they studied to be quite difficult, because of the nuances of the tricky multiple choice questions. My Asian students have a hard time with multiple choice in English.

As far as a job, the "in" with your dad should be helpful. I guess he'd work as a legal aid for a while, huh?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

@TheBears - Your husband is from Nakhon Pathom, is that right? Audy (my fiancee) is from Nakhon Pathom. It is not one of my favorite towns in Thailand as it is a small quiet town. She lives well on the outskirts of town with nothing but dust and dirt around their home.

You can do the reverse of sending money to Thailand. You need to give him your bank's ABA Routing number. He should be able to go into his bank and they will send half of his account (or whatever amount) to their main branch in (probably) New York. That requires a SWIFT number but you do not need it. Then your husband gives them your name, account number, Bank name and ABA Routing number and his bank's main branch in the USA will get it into YOUR account if that is OK with him.

I do this in reverse with Audy. I send money from my bank to her main Bank in New York with Bangkok Bank's ABA number to New York. I also give my bank the SWIFT number, Audy's real name, account number and bank branch in Thailand and she gets the money in about 4 days. The last exchange was about 31.9 baht per dollar. The best I have gotten in the past 6 months was 32.6 baht to the dollar.

Anya seemed to describe something similar to what I had in mind for getting Audy her own credit rating. I think having a good credit rating is very important and something i definitely want to do for her.

Take care

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

@TheBears - Your husband is from Nakhon Pathom, is that right? Audy (my fiancee) is from Nakhon Pathom. It is not one of my favorite towns in Thailand as it is a small quiet town. She lives well on the outskirts of town with nothing but dust and dirt around their home.

You can do the reverse of sending money to Thailand. You need to give him your bank's ABA Routing number. He should be able to go into his bank and they will send half of his account (or whatever amount) to their main branch in (probably) New York. That requires a SWIFT number but you do not need it. Then your husband gives them your name, account number, Bank name and ABA Routing number and his bank's main branch in the USA will get it into YOUR account if that is OK with him.

I do this in reverse with Audy. I send money from my bank to her main Bank in New York with Bangkok Bank's ABA number to New York. I also give my bank the SWIFT number, Audy's real name, account number and bank branch in Thailand and she gets the money in about 4 days. The last exchange was about 31.9 baht per dollar. The best I have gotten in the past 6 months was 32.6 baht to the dollar.

Anya seemed to describe something similar to what I had in mind for getting Audy her own credit rating. I think having a good credit rating is very important and something i definitely want to do for her.

Take care

I do the same thing. Also be aware, if you are moving large sums of money out of thailand from a Thai bank it is very difficult. They don't want their money to leave. I had transferred in bunch and then wanted to transfer it back to my US bank, and they made me fill out a bunch of forms and asked a ton of questions, in the end I just left it there and use it when we go there now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.