HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

We use Skype-to-go. Unlimited calling to Thailand (or many other countries) from any cell phone for $5.95/month.

Wow they just added Thai mobiles to that plan! It was useless to me before, because it was landlines only and we only call mobiles.

But you still have to choose one country... I also need to call Hong Kong and the UK...

I wonder if I can buy the reverse of this plan for us to use while we are in Thailand to call back to the US?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wow they just added Thai mobiles to that plan! It was useless to me before, because it was landlines only and we only call mobiles.

But you still have to choose one country... I also need to call Hong Kong and the UK...

I wonder if I can buy the reverse of this plan for us to use while we are in Thailand to call back to the US?

You can call all of the countries they offer for $13/month. As far as using this in Thailand, you should be able to, but I doubt they offer a Thailand number for you to call from if you wanted to use this from a "normal" cell phone. You should be able to use it over the internet, I would assume which means that you could probably use it via a smart phone from Thailand.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

And what would an immigration attorney be able to do at this point that would make it worthwhile? Are they going to tell him what they are looking at? They act like

they are the CIA or something and exempt from the people who pay them seeing what they are doing.

If you get a fraud denial, you will want someone to act before the documents are returned to the USCIS. So at least have one in mind just in case. Check some of the Ho Chi Minh city cases, because these are a lot more common there.

Timeline

You can call all of the countries they offer for $13/month. As far as using this in Thailand, you should be able to, but I doubt they offer a Thailand number for you to call from if you wanted to use this from a "normal" cell phone. You should be able to use it over the internet, I would assume which means that you could probably use it via a smart phone from Thailand.

There are SIM cards in Thailand with cheap local calling rates to the U.S. as well. At one point, TrueMove offered a 1B/minute SIM card for calls to the U.S. I'm not sure what is available right now. There are also other VoIP options local to Thailand that give you decent rates to the U.S. but I haven't tried any of them.

I doubt they offer a Thailand number for you to call from if you wanted to use this from a "normal" cell phone. You should be able to use it over the internet, I would assume which means that you could probably use it via a smart phone from Thailand.

Yeah, true. And BKK internet can be really iffy.

BTW, the service I mentioned earlier includes a landline, so it's direct dial from your house. It's more like Vonage than Skype so you can call in and out.

Timeline

Yeah, true. And BKK internet can be really iffy.

BTW, the service I mentioned earlier includes a landline, so it's direct dial from your house. It's more like Vonage than Skype so you can call in and out.

It's a landline, or they simply provide you with a number and you hook up an ATA to your internet connection and receive calls through a normal phone? I assume the latter is the case. The downside to that is you can only call from your home.

There are SIM cards in Thailand with cheap local calling rates to the U.S. as well. At one point, TrueMove offered a 1B/minute SIM card for calls to the U.S. I'm not sure what is available right now. There are also other VoIP options local to Thailand that give you decent rates to the U.S. but I haven't tried any of them.

I need a SIM with unlimited 3G, have you seen one? The last one I had only had 30 hours a month free and inevitably I forget to shut it off after an evening at RCA and end up burning out the entire thing rather quickly.

Timeline

I need a SIM with unlimited 3G, have you seen one? The last one I had only had 30 hours a month free and inevitably I forget to shut it off after an evening at RCA and end up burning out the entire thing rather quickly.

I've never had an internet-capable phone while in Thailand, so I can't say I ever looked. I traveled around w/ a laptop instead, but that was just for business reasons. Last time I went I just used the internet cafes. I'm too cheap to buy an internet capable phone (right now).

Timeline

When did Thailand get 3G? I didn't think any of the carriers had rolled it out yet.

It's a landline, or they simply provide you with a number and you hook up an ATA to your internet connection and receive calls through a normal phone? I assume the latter is the case. The downside to that is you can only call from your home.

Yeah, the latter. It's basically Vonage with a lower price (and less service).

*Actually* you can call from anywhere in the world that you can plug the (very small) box into an ethernet internet connection--and your US phone number will ring there as well. I always forget about that, myself. I should probably just remember to take the damn thing to BKK and hook it up in my apartment.

Timeline

Yeah, the latter. It's basically Vonage with a lower price (and less service).

*Actually* you can call from anywhere in the world that you can plug the (very small) box into an ethernet internet connection--and your US phone number will ring there as well. I always forget about that, myself. I should probably just remember to take the damn thing to BKK and hook it up in my apartment.

Yep, that's an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter)

When did Thailand get 3G? I didn't think any of the carriers had rolled it out yet.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/technews/35342/what-to-expect-as-3g-gains-momentum-across-thailand

Didn't even notice the speed improvement when I was there in Dec, which is probably cause they had just rolled it out.

Maybe you didn't pick up a 3G tower when you were using it. Probably only a few at that time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you get a fraud denial, you will want someone to act before the documents are returned to the USCIS. So at least have one in mind just in case. Check some of the Ho Chi Minh city cases, because these are a lot more common there.

Are you suggesting finding one in Bangkok then or here in the USA? I would think having one there would be better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.