HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

As part of our Visa Journey I'm on my second trip to Thailand to spend it with Chada and visit her family. I've only been in country for about 4 days but so far the trip has been great. One part of our trip is to get some Post NOA 2 things taken care of. I wanted to pass along an FYI on a few things we learned / got accomplished yesterday...

"Bai Rub Rong Sod - Never Married Form"

The Bangkok embassy website indicates you need to get the Bai Rub Rong Sod from the town at which the beneficiary grew up. We tried that yesterday in Sakhon Nakhon as a part of my "Meet the Sophacum's" trip to Thailand :). At that office we were told we needed 1 relative and 1 person "who is respected and important" to verify that my SO was not married. After waiting for another hour to get an "important government friend" to come to that office Chada was told she could not do it in her home town because it can only be obtained where she currently lives (in Bangkok).

Score 0 - 1

Drivers license

If you read my other posts you know I've been on a mission to get my SO an international drivers license (even though she has never driven) before she leaves Bangkok. To do this we need a 3yr license at a minimum so that it can qualify as an international one. We were going to do it in Sakhon Nakhon because the family knows someone... Well that didnt work out to well because 3 minutes after being at the DL office we learned that we needed medical paperwork and had to be there at a specific time. Now we are on "plan b" which is to get a DL in Bangkok through someone a friend knows (an even more shaky plan). Based upon what I have seen so far I'm not sure I this is going to happen. Chada and I agree on 99% of things but our approach to getting them done is completely different. Since the DL has been the topic of about 30 conversations so far I'm just going to let her do or not do it. If we dont get one there will be regret on both of our parts but we will deal with it together.

Score 0 - 2

Birth Certificate

We went to the same government office as the Bai Rub Rong Sod form. Pretty interesting. In Udon Thani they don't have many files stored electronically or on film from 28 years ago. The person behind the counter took us to the "archive room". It was a building out back. He opened the garage door and told us to look around. It was just about what you would imagine. Paper / binders scattered everywhere. Many destroyed by water or just exposure. We found the binder for her year and the condition of the documents was really poor. (stuff damaged, tattered and ripped). After about 10 minutes I couldn't believe it but we found it. We had 3 certified copies made and she dropped the original back off at a desk where it will never be seen from again. I told her to just keep it because ist never going to get refiled and will most likely end up in the trash. Like many things she said "cannot do" and I dropped it :)

Score 1-2

At the end of the trip we took the 2 hour drive from her small town to the airport at Udon Thani. We used that time to have a private talk with mom away from all the relatives. I explained everything we were doing (love, relationship and visa process). We also talked about why we would not get married in Thailand before she came to the USA. Mom's first question dealt with how I felt about her family being so poor. Her second thought was to ask me to please "not lie" to her because she is worried I will take her daughter to the USA and sell her. :blink: After picking my jaw up off the floor we drove the conversation uphill from there. It was a great example of how much her mom is worried about her... Overall the trip was something I will never forget. I gained so much respect for the people I met and the time they shared with me. I also got to see some examples of being taken advantage of by strangers and relatives. Chada and I dealt with it pretty well at the time and had some great conversations about it afterwards. We like many other things turned it into something we both grew from.

With the tough part of the trip over with we are both looking forward to some good times in Bangkok and Koh Samet. In a couple of hours I'm going up to the hospital she works at with ice cream for her friends and coworkers. Good times... :D

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

"Sure, please share. Why not give her a good scare " :blush:

LOL, I'm not sure about everyone else's SO but mine is Sooo laid back and believes "don't worry everything will be fine". Its one of the reasons I love her so much but not real good at things like getting everything prepared for the consulate interview. You know she listens to me but thinks I exaggerate things. It was SO funny as we were sitting next to each other on our laptops. She said to herself "OH MY GOD" and was fixated for the next hour on all the recent posts detailing the denials at the visa interview stage. I was was so happy that this might help her take things more seriously.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I have already done that; printed out a couple dozen emails and chats representative of the past five years. I may direct her to print out a few more, so if they ask, they'll be ready in hand.

Thanks for the advice.

PS I only ask because some recent members have said things such as "I am told it is best to have 50+ photos." "We were asked to return with evidence of ongoing relationship" (after having already submitted as much as, if not more than what I have prepared).

Seems like the information coming out of the embassy is all over the place. MY SO and I were both on our laptops researching the "never married form" and she was freaking out reading about all the denials on her Thai visa forum website. One of the posts was from a girl waiting a specific day in February for her interview. She detailed out the reasons why 10 out of 10 interviews scheduled for that were rejected. The reject reasons were for I-134 income issues, the SO getting caught in some sort of lie or lack of proof. I can get the link to the post and sent it over if you guys want to share with your SO.

Sure, please share. Why not give her a good scare :blush:

Not sure if that's a joke. I hope it is. I lived with my wife for 2 years IN Thailand, and I was denied. I thought everything I had was perfect. So I got to go to the Embassy 4 times, including the day she picked up her visa. If you go in there with the attitude you will be approved, I am afraid you are looking at disappointment.

I am not sure what has changed in BKK, but lately, it hasn't been pretty. It really seemed before that BKK was an easy deal. I really think something has changed there lately. There is some dude there with a hard-on.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

daboys

I cant speak for everyone else but I think you were screwed. I know it probably doesnt make you feel any better but THANK YOU you for sharing your ordeal. Everything you went through helps the rest of us.

Timeline
daboys

I cant speak for everyone else but I think you were screwed. I know it probably doesnt make you feel any better but THANK YOU you for sharing your ordeal. Everything you went through helps the rest of us.

Yeah it sucked for sure. At the end of the day, I had to spend a couple more days in Bangkok than I had hoped. She got the visa. It just took 2 days longer than I thought. I guess there's some fault on my part because I was thinking I lived there with her and it would be easy. She also mentioned the guy gave her a hard time about her not speaking English.

I speak a mixed up version of Thai and English with her. It's just how we communicate. We spent so much time together there, that we just ended up talking to each other in our own weird version of Thai and English. I guess if I had to go to an interview at the Thai embassy in LA for a Thai visa and talked to them, they would probably lookat me crazy.

:D

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancée is going for the medical exam this coming week and we've been back and forth on the issue of vaccinations. She has recently gotten a blood test to check for which vaccines she already has, since no records had been kept. We figure there will be at least a few on the list that she'll need to get. Do I understand correctly that she is not required to have all of the vaccines prior to entering the US, but will need all of them before filing for AOS? She is concerned that she'll spend several thousand Baht for them, but she would be able to get them all for free under my insurance here in America.

Any suggestions, advice, information from those who recently completed a medical would be most welcome. Thank you.

hello...a little help from any of you who live in california. my husband needs to get his driver license but they no longer offer the book or test in thai. any suggestions? his conversational english is fine but his reading comprehension is not great.

thank you in advance.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline
After waiting for another hour to get an "important government friend" to come to that office Chada was told she could not do it in her home town because it can only be obtained where she currently lives (in Bangkok).

Let me know how this works out. My Fiancee was living in Bangkok and we tried to get it there, in Bangkok, they told her she had to go back to the district office where she was from.

Now we are on "plan b" which is to get a DL in Bangkok through someone a friend knows (an even more shaky plan). Based upon what I have seen so far I'm not sure I this is going to happen.

I had my Fiancee got to a driving school do a 10 hour class, and then they took her to the driving test (had to be there at 5 am to get in line), and then they had her take the test, even though she failed they still got her a DL. 3K for the lessons, and then 2K for the test (Guaranteed License)

We had 3 certified copies made and she dropped the original back off at a desk where it will never be seen from again.

Lucky you, they could not find my Fiancees original, so we didn't get any extra copies.

My fiancée is going for the medical exam this coming week and we've been back and forth on the issue of vaccinations. She has recently gotten a blood test to check for which vaccines she already has, since no records had been kept. We figure there will be at least a few on the list that she'll need to get. Do I understand correctly that she is not required to have all of the vaccines prior to entering the US, but will need all of them before filing for AOS? She is concerned that she'll spend several thousand Baht for them, but she would be able to get them all for free under my insurance here in America.

The BKK embassy requires the vaccinations as part of the medical. So you have to get them at your medical.

Timeline
hello...a little help from any of you who live in california. my husband needs to get his driver license but they no longer offer the book or test in thai. any suggestions? his conversational english is fine but his reading comprehension is not great.

thank you in advance.

Then he better take many practice examx to prepare for the Real Exam.

Here 's 50 Practice exam for $19.95

http://driversed.com/courses/dmv-permit-te...-test-faqs.aspx

Timeline
I have already done that; printed out a couple dozen emails and chats representative of the past five years. I may direct her to print out a few more, so if they ask, they'll be ready in hand.

Thanks for the advice.

PS I only ask because some recent members have said things such as "I am told it is best to have 50+ photos." "We were asked to return with evidence of ongoing relationship" (after having already submitted as much as, if not more than what I have prepared).

Seems like the information coming out of the embassy is all over the place. MY SO and I were both on our laptops researching the "never married form" and she was freaking out reading about all the denials on her Thai visa forum website. One of the posts was from a girl waiting a specific day in February for her interview. She detailed out the reasons why 10 out of 10 interviews scheduled for that were rejected. The reject reasons were for I-134 income issues, the SO getting caught in some sort of lie or lack of proof. I can get the link to the post and sent it over if you guys want to share with your SO.

Sure, please share. Why not give her a good scare :blush:

Not sure if that's a joke. I hope it is. I lived with my wife for 2 years IN Thailand, and I was denied. I thought everything I had was perfect. So I got to go to the Embassy 4 times, including the day she picked up her visa. If you go in there with the attitude you will be approved, I am afraid you are looking at disappointment.

I am not sure what has changed in BKK, but lately, it hasn't been pretty. It really seemed before that BKK was an easy deal. I really think something has changed there lately. There is some dude there with a hard-on.

Yeah, it was a joke. Partly at the expense of my fiancee, who likes horror flicks (Saw V etc.). Partly just to lighten the tension of all of us nervously waiting to get through this ordeal. I'm still stuck at NVC, day 46 now. Hoping to get out this week.

I do appreciate that the BKK process is not a cakewalk, according to the recent experience of several VJ members who had their files in order and got denied at their first interviews. That's why I think Danny's offer to share the list of rejection reasons could be useful. I assume it's a Thai website? It might be just the thing to get my fiancee into the proper sober mood to take the preparation for the interview seriously. Her English is quite good, so I don't expect language barrier problems. But as you say - can't take anything for granted at the BKK post these days.

Timeline
Vaccination Requirements

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations if appropriate for age, medical condition or medical history:

• Mumps

• Measles

• Rubella

• Polio

• Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

• Pertussis

• Influenza type B

• Hepatitis B

• Varicella

• Pneumococcal

As a fiancé(e), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancé(e) visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status following your marriage.

This is from the Bangkok Embassy's website. However just to expedite the AOS process and ensure that she has no problems with the visa, we'll probably go ahead and get them.

Timeline
Vaccination Requirements

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations if appropriate for age, medical condition or medical history:

• Mumps

• Measles

• Rubella

• Polio

• Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

• Pertussis

• Influenza type B

• Hepatitis B

• Varicella

• Pneumococcal

As a fiancé(e), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancé(e) visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status following your marriage.

This is from the Bangkok Embassy's website. However just to expedite the AOS process and ensure that she has no problems with the visa, we'll probably go ahead and get them.

Also if she is under 27 she has to have the HPV vaccination also.

Timeline

She's over 27, so thank goodness that's one less. She'll get the blood test results back today, finding out which ones she has and which ones she'll need.

Edited by ThaitoUSA

thanks jondecka!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.