HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

Sounds to me like A LOT of stereotyping and conjecture going on.

I wonder, Tom, if your wife fell into category 2, if you'd be going on the way you are about how great category 1 is?

I also find it amazing how you know the inner thought process' of the COs so well. That is a true gift.

The bottom line concerning getting a visa is: having all the proper evidence and proving a bona fide relationship.

I'm going on about how great category 1 is? Where? I just believe it tends to be easier for that group. I didn't say that one group was better, and certainly have nothing to do with the process. I didn't say that I agree with this situation or anything like that. You are being overly sensitive.

I don't know their inner thought processes at all--and that is exactly the point. We just know the outcomes. The embassy is a black box. We can look at what goes in and what comes out. We have no idea how the data is processed inside the box, and therefore it simple probability--from our perspective--as to what comes out of that box.

You are correct about the bottom line, which I have not addressed at all.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Adding to the fun wrt stereotypes.... US national approvers...

After going through the lengthily essays and entrance requirements to some high-speed school, say Georgetown's School of International Relations, and being told over and over again during the difficult Foreign Service Exam process that they are special akin to Jefferson and Dulles, and after finally securing a position representing the good-old-US of A in a hostile world where they are the only line of defense, all FSO's start out in the Embassy/Consulate processing paperwork, mostly for the local nationals where they are stationed.

This is a tedious job, but all must do this before being considered for the truly career making (history making...wealth making) positions dealing with policy development, international negotiations, and financial deal brokering.... In fact, poorer performing FSOs in those career paths tend to end up managing the consulates... not high-end statesmen... no pictures on stamps....or passages in text books...etc.

There are few opportunities to shine as a droog, but many opportunities to screw up and end a career path they have been told...is their special ... destiny. And the easiest anomaly to trace back to a specific 1st year FSO is when a visa beneficiary violates their visa.

I am surprised anyone gets a visa to come to this country...

Timeline
I found it to be quite humorous that the LV poster denied all of this and then later said, "We had issues when we went through, but it wasn't related to any of the above, it was related to our evidence...my wife was from the NE, and we had a short relationship"

I find it even more amusing that you twisted my words.

it was related to our evidence, I had a bunch, but on paper it looked mainly one sided. I came back with the documentation that showed plenty of two way communication and we had no problems.

After reflecting back on our evidence, it was right for him to ask for it, we did not provide everything they were looking for. Basically he did not get to check his box.

QUOTE (AaronLV @ Nov 3 2009, 05:50 PM) *

Education does not correlate to having money, and the people at the embassy I am sure are well aware of this

That's utter BS. Do you need me to corroborate that, or can you Google it on your own?

There is a large percentage of wealth that do not have college degrees, and as I am sure you are going to tell me there have been many many studies and statistics that show how getting a college education will get you more money. And as most are well aware statistics and research can be slanted in which ever direction you want. I am not saying education is not important, because I do feel it is, it is just not going to guarantee you will make more money or will have money. I have a college education and I do quite well, however I have many friends that have started their own business or have worked their way up in a company and now pull down much larger salaries then I can get based on my education.

But since you are a professor, I will over look most of what you say, mainly because university educators do not live in the real world, most think they are superior to us working class people. But most professors think they are the elite. In my capacity as a government contractor I dealt with many professors (PHD's) and they are by far the most self centered, I am above everyone else people I have ever met.

Adding to the fun wrt stereotypes.... US national approvers...

After going through the lengthily essays and entrance requirements to some high-speed school, say Georgetown's School of International Relations, and being told over and over again during the difficult Foreign Service Exam process that they are special akin to Jefferson and Dulles, and after finally securing a position representing the good-old-US of A in a hostile world where they are the only line of defense, all FSO's start out in the Embassy/Consulate processing paperwork, mostly for the local nationals where they are stationed.

This is a tedious job, but all must do this before being considered for the truly career making (history making...wealth making) positions dealing with policy development, international negotiations, and financial deal brokering.... In fact, poorer performing FSOs in those career paths tend to end up managing the consulates... not high-end statesmen... no pictures on stamps....or passages in text books...etc.

There are few opportunities to shine as a droog, but many opportunities to screw up and end a career path they have been told...is their special ... destiny. And the easiest anomaly to trace back to a specific 1st year FSO is when a visa beneficiary violates their visa.

I am surprised anyone gets a visa to come to this country...

Interesting... where did you find that? Or did you write it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

But...

:ot2:

When requesting a police certification in preparation for her interview documentation in Chiang Rai, my fiance was told that they would not process the document unless she provided a copy of my passport and identification card.

Anyone ever hear of that?

But...

When requesting a police certification in preparation for her interview documentation in Chiang Rai, my fiance was told that they would not process the document unless she provided a copy of my passport and identification card.

The national police require all kinds of bizarre things... I've heard lots of strange requests.

What do they mean by your identification card? A driver's license?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
But...

Not gonna get a police report in Chiang Rai. Have to get it in Bangkok, Pathumwan to be exact.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When Su went to get her police report they requested a copy of my passport only. They didn't need to see any other form of ID from me.

But...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

reading through the last few pages and I felt pretty lucky to be interviewed for K-1 in 2005!

First of all, My husband - then fiance was there with me in the room - Then, only 1-2 questions for me I think.. and the rest he just kinda chat with Bram and that was it... pretty easy :blush:

Good luck to all!

By the way - I was raised to believe that education is everything (my parents are professors - but they are the most humble people you'll ever met) But I married a guy with just a High School diploma.. never in a million years growing up I would've thought possible. But he's very smart, honest, and very good at what he does that he's successful in his chosen career still in his 20s. My parent was skeptical at first when they first learn that he didnt have a degree (that's the second question they asked when I introduced him to them) but they trust my judgment.

So my point is that I believe - now - that a degree isnt a guarantee to be successful in life/career. But I still believe that for most, education is going to help them have a better chance in life but for some, it's irrelevance.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

reading through the last few pages and I felt pretty lucky to be interviewed for K-1 in 2005!

First of all, My husband - then fiance was there with me in the room - Then, only 1-2 questions for me I think.. and the rest he just kinda chat with Bram and that was it... pretty easy :blush:

Good luck to all!

By the way - I was raised to believe that education is everything (my parents are professors - but they are the most humble people you'll ever met) But I married a guy with just a High School diploma.. never in a million years growing up I would've thought possible. But he's very smart, honest, and very good at what he does that he's successful in his chosen career still in his 20s. My parent was skeptical at first when they first learn that he didnt have a degree (that's the second question they asked when I introduced him to them) but they trust my judgment.

So my point is that I believe - now - that a degree isnt a guarantee to be successful in life/career. But I still believe that for most, education is going to help them have a better chance in life but for some, it's irrelevance.

i agree it was nice to be able to stand with my husband when he had his interview it made us both less nervous. we had probably 10 questions or so including two each about his past approved and past denied b-2 visas.

as for the education piece my husband has only a high school diploma but for his career a degree would not add one bit of value nor does anyone in thailand in his profession have a degree. with that said he'll be entering community college in the spring. he's so nervous but excited since he would be only the 3rd person in his family to get any post high school education. he paid for 2 of his younger sisters to go to college.

just like alot of you i'm sure...i value education but can point out people who have multiple degrees and are dumber than a bag of hammers conversely i know folk without a degree that are smart as all get out. a degree does not equate with intelligence or success in my book. a couple of pretty successful and (from the very far distance i sit) well adjusted dropouts include tiger woods, bill gates, steve jobs, and less than well adjusted larry ellison.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Come on, toma1. Surely you didn't think you could make your original statement and not upset folks...I mean really!

OK, fine. You have made me see the light.

There is absolutely no discrimination in the visa process based on demographics.

Everyone receives the treatment that they deserve based on their personal merits. Anyone who was treated well deserved to be treated well because of the merits of their individual case. Anyone who was delayed or had a negative experience was likewise wholly deserving of the treatment that they received, again, based on the facts in their individual case.

Hopefully my confession makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.