HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

For me, I pray alot...give it a shot...since you mentioned the spiritual aspect...

I looked at your profile. You seem to be overtly Christian, and I'm guessing your wife is or was Buddhist.

How did you deal with that issue?

I'm non-religious, so it was not a problem for us, but it has been an issue for some of my wife's friends here.

Tom, you've been away for awhile, so you haven't had the pleasure to get to know brother Mark the way I and several others have. I would be the first one to run the other way if I thought Mark was a bible thumper, but he is far from it! (He just added the floating Jesus gif to his signature which scares me a little!! :lol: )

Brother Mark rawks!!! :thumbs:

Good to see you again Tom, and congratulations on the AOS! :dance:

Robert

Hahahahaha! Brother (and neighbor) Roi does know me well...but in fact I do have a Bachelor of Religion degree, and am partially through my Master's of Theology degree. But, as Brother Roi well knows...one of the main reason I'm Catholic is because its one Christian sect that APPROVES of Drinking and Dancing! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Tom, great to see you spending time in silence...that is always how it starts...

Roi...never heard...are you in CM/Doi Saket in March? We'll be there...you're buying!

I missed the Aggie opener...traveling...how'd it go?

Peace and blessings!

Mark

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was wondering... at what point can I open accounts like a Roth IRA or educational IRA for my soon to arrive SO?

Is the SS Card the gating item?

SHe will eventually be working and she does plan on getting some high quality US education... ;)

Timeline
I was wondering... at what point can I open accounts like a Roth IRA or educational IRA for my soon to arrive SO?

SHe will eventually be working and she does plan on getting some high quality US education... ;)

Not exactly sure why you would open an educational IRA for your SO. They are for a child under 18.

As for the ROTH Ira, once she gets a SSN your SO should be able to open an IRA, however I would suggest talking to a tax advisor and see if it advisable to put your money in that account opposed to some other investment vehicle. The ROTH IRA is for retirement, not to be used for educational purposes. Best to consult with financial professionals on these matters.

Timeline

Thanks Mark and Tom!

Regarding the religion topic: There's is an enormous difference between religious and spiritual; the spiritual part is what i believe makes a good mix of east and west. Having said all that, she's doing well, we're doing well...I just get stressed when she decompensates. I don't "do" anything but sometimes I may vent a bit anywhere but at her! I was raised in one of those sects. I don't believe the rules make you a better person but it is a relationship with your deity that counts (if that's for you). I do have a hard time with the "do this and it will bring you luck" thing...it's so hard to not want to comment...say versus Muslims and Christians we have a ton in common; one god, jealous god, no other gods and basically everyone else is kee (sort of but with tolerance). I worked with a shrink helping homeless people off the street...shrink was Hindu and he said they'd likely lock him up for delusions (I was asking about his deities and what they do)....they've got so many gods they'd fill an apartment building. He said he believed all of it even though it made no sense to his medical or rational mind, it's what he knew and it works for him. I thought it was kinda cool since most Hindus eventually convert after being here a while.

I'm a nurse...worked in high stress areas for years, no longer handle "pulling the plug" very well and prefer to avoid the highest acuity areas at all costs...sent me in a downhill spiral after 12 deaths in 14 shifts literally shutting the machines down while the patient gasps, I'm cramming drugs in em to stop the breathing movement while the family bawls and stares, doctor is long gone and I stand there like a #######. In that state they were more aggressive pulling the plug and my brain was telling me I was murdering someone...long story but no more for me. I interviewed at a gov't hospital 2 hours drive (I don't care how many hours I gotta drive but It's worth it for the gov't); Anyway, praying if it's meant for me, I'll move to the Amish country outside Philly. Everyone's talking of a nursing shortage but it's really a nursing job shortage...economy has everyone staying out of hospitals and there are layoffs all over. Some positions are advertised (they don't hire) so they can qualify for a cut rate Philippine nurse to get a visa and work for 1/2 price. Soon as I can I'm going back to school to end this bottom feeder competition....praying for a gov't job!

Hey if any of you are on facebook, it would be nice to say HI. You can find me with this picture...type Rob Hyena on the search and that's me! Not sure if any of you know Gemmie but she just got married (back yard wedding)...didn't know she was so young! They look so happy!

Hey one question...I need to still qualify for income requirements here for AOS? I know Thai embassy doesn't accept cosponsors but any direction I'd greatly appreciate. I'm kinda stuffing my head in the sand 'cause It's going to be a hunk of cash for AOS...only $25 for the JP wedding (already paid $35 for license). I am technically self employed so can report any income... it's just nearly all my buyers are dried up save about a grand a month. I can report a higher income but that doesn't show bank statements...kinda worried about that but I'm sure I'll be working come the end of her 3 months here. I'm holding out but may have to break down and go to a nursing home (legalized abuse/murder facility)....oh if you knew what really goes on in nursing homes...

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Hey one question...I need to still qualify for income requirements here for AOS?

Definitely, and the documentation requirements become much more strict on the AOS forms. The other change is that on that form, you (or your co-sponsor if you go that route) must agree to support your beneficiary for 10 years--even if you get divorced. The beneficiary can sue you OR your co-sponsor for support. If the beneficiary gets government aid, the government can sue you OR your co-sponsor to repay the benefits given. If you read the instructions carefully, the 10 years is a minimum, it could be much longer. Be sure your co-sponsor is aware of this.

I know Thai embassy doesn't accept cosponsors but any direction I'd greatly appreciate.

You're not dealing with the embassy anymore, so it's a non-issue. You can have a co-sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hey one question...I need to still qualify for income requirements here for AOS?

Definitely, and the documentation requirements become much more strict on the AOS forms. The other change is that on that form, you (or your co-sponsor if you go that route) must agree to support your beneficiary for 10 years--even if you get divorced. The beneficiary can sue you OR your co-sponsor for support. If the beneficiary gets government aid, the government can sue you OR your co-sponsor to repay the benefits given. If you read the instructions carefully, the 10 years is a minimum, it could be much longer. Be sure your co-sponsor is aware of this.

I know Thai embassy doesn't accept cosponsors but any direction I'd greatly appreciate.

You're not dealing with the embassy anymore, so it's a non-issue. You can have a co-sponsor.

Beneficiary must show 40 working quarters. I-864 instructions:

Has worked, or can be credited with, 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act

I'm not a lawyer, but seems like it could go on for more than 10 years if the beneficiary doesn't work. I think most would have citizenship by then.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

seems like it could go on for more than 10 years if the beneficiary doesn't work.

Bingo... that's why I said "If you read the instructions carefully, the 10 years is a minimum, it could be much longer."

1. Will it be long enough into the future to make going to all that trouble worthwhile? If she's planning to go to school in 10 years... fine. But if she's planning to go in two... that's unlikely to be worthwhile.

2. You don't have to put it in her name in order for her to get the eventual benefit.

Edited by toma1

Timeline
Not exactly sure why you would open an educational IRA for your SO. They are for a child under 18.

It can be used up to age 30.

I didn't think it could be started for someone over the age of 18. I had looked into this quite a few years ago for my nephews, but in the end decided it wasn't really a good way to save for future educations, there was some sever limitations on the use of the money.

Timeline

Thanks toma1 and daboyz!

I should land a job soon....just sent an email politely thanking for the interview last week (that's the govt job I'm banking on)...if that falls through I'll go anywhere and won't be so picky. I'd just hate to start at some crappy job only to leave it 3 weeks later when a hiring decision comes (I did that once...but didn't feel so bad because my boss kept telling me to lie to the CEO).

Edited by HYENA

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The discussion here was quite lively at one point in the recent past. What happened?! :huh2:

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
The discussion here was quite lively at one point in the recent past. What happened?! :huh2:

Your signature says "I-865" Do you mean I-864 or I-765?

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.