HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

My wife's pretty good with speaking English, but horrible at reading it. We've been doing the following and it really seems to have helped:

1. We use Rosetta Stone Version 3 for learning English. This helps her not only with reading English, but also with learning more vocabulary and working on her accent. (V3 is a HUGE step above the old v2) She spends 1 hour a day using Rosetta Stone.

2. We go to the library and check out children's books for her. 2 based on American History or culture, and 2 of her choosing (usually about cooking). This way she's learning how to read English, while also starting to learn US history for her citizenship test later. The stuff we are checking out is early-mid elementary school reading level. At one point I got her a book about Thailand, but after a couple pages she wasn't interested as she already everything in it.

We originally bought her the Thai stickers for the keyboard on the computer (Thai town, Los Angeles), however she already knew how to touch type, and after a little while of getting reacquainted to it, she no longer needs them. We never bothered putting them on her laptop when I purchased it for her.

The two biggest things for helping her keep her sanity are A) Webcam + MSN for chatting with her old friends and B) Skype out ($6/mo unlimited calls to Thailand).

And despite years of riding a motorbike around Thailand, she just can't seem to get the hang of driving the car. It isn't helped by the fact she's 4'10".

Good suggestions Shawndoc.

I wanted to do the same thing for my wife as you did in #1...but I was tooooooo cheap to lay out the $ for Rosetta :whistle:

I did #2 alot, that worked very well...history and bible...

However, AAm will tell anyone that she's improved the most just because she has no option but to speak English ALL the time, which doesn't bother her one bit. Now that she's been here a couple years, she's really learned our 'slang' :thumbs:

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
And despite years of riding a motorbike around Thailand, she just can't seem to get the hang of driving the car. It isn't helped by the fact she's 4'10".

Get her an Aprilia Mana 850. Its a great commuter bike. I use to have one and it has an 839cc along with a CVT transmission. great ride, oh wait a little too high for 4'10"

unless you get the short spring mod to enable lower seat height. :D along with some thick heel riding boots.

she has motorbike experience so she should be fine using a motorcycle for the meantime. and great weather for riding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I wanted to do the same thing for my wife as you did in #1...but I was tooooooo cheap to lay out the $ for Rosetta :whistle:

You can check the local library. A lot of libraries (at least here in SoCal) have computers set up with either Rosetta Stone or similar English learning software installed on them. I *think* the local Community College does as well, as part of their free ESL classes.

Also wouldn't be surprised if you could "buy" it in Thailand from one of those software shops for 300 baht or so.

Get her an Aprilia Mana 850. Its a great commuter bike. I use to have one and it has an 839cc along with a CVT transmission. great ride, oh wait a little too high for 4'10"

We've looked at scooters. Selection in the states sucks. Its either 49cc or 250cc, with nothing in between. At least with the Japanese brands. Might have to go with a Kymco or similar. Most of the 250's are too big for her, and they don't have the "bicycle" style scooters that are so popular in Thailand. All are the step through variety like in Taiwan. Been tempted to get her a Chinese made scooter since they're so cheap, but I don't have a garage any more and I'm sure they require constant maintenance.

She really wants a Smart Car. But right now she "works" at the store which is less than a mile away. So when I can't take her, she can walk it no problem. If the economy doesn't improve soon, we might have to close the store, and then she'll probably need transportation to get any sort of job.

I keep asking her to teach me the Thai letters and reading and more words but she's not into it. I keep thinking if I know more Thai I can teach her English better. I took up Spanish and got that to about 80%...I'm starving for Thai and Pimsleur is all I have so far.

I got Thai alphabet flash cards from www.LearningThai.com just to learn the alphabet/reading. They seem pretty good.

Timeline

Those bicycle style scooters are technically underbone Motorbikes (not scooters)

There however is a Sym Cub which is cheap and already here and its Taiwanese (SYM is very reputable brand second to Kymco ) fits the similiar 100-150cc range of the Thai underbone motorbikes. A lot of people love it already, since its retro look. can drive it anywhere except a Freeway

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/04/worlds-most-pop/

Timeline
Those bicycle style scooters are technically underbone Motorbikes (not scooters)

There however is a Sym Cub which is cheap and already here and its Taiwanese (SYM is very reputable brand second to Kymco ) fits the similiar 100-150cc range of the Thai underbone motorbikes. A lot of people love it already, since its retro look. can drive it anywhere except a Freeway

That would require a Motorcycle license here in Nevada, and to drive a moped in Nevada also requires a Class C License. Just remember check with your local DMV office to verify what is needed in order to operate vehicles on public streets whether it is 2 or 4 wheel.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That would require a Motorcycle license here in Nevada, and to drive a moped in Nevada also requires a Class C License. Just remember check with your local DMV office to verify what is needed in order to operate vehicles on public streets whether it is 2 or 4 wheel.

:yes::thumbs:

Once again, bottom line: If you want them to get around, they need to get a drivers license, or a learners permit as a minimum, which means they HAVE to pass the written test. Good luck!

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

I just love this state!!! :D

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country.

It ranks up there with the CCP we'll pick up!

J

Timeline

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country.

J

Not sure what a CCP is, but in Wisconsin the law is similar. You can use your international DL for 1 year, then you must apply for a state DL.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

J

Actually you are legally allowed to drive in any state on a foreign license provided name, DOB, and expiration date is in English. There might be one other requirement. This is based on a treaty that was signed back in the 1930's. I believe the validity period was 1 year before having to acquire a US license. The other hurdle you may run into while driving on a foreign license is that your insurance company may not cover in the case of an accident. There are clauses in your policy that may state only US Licensed drivers are covered. In this case your insurance would simply refuse to cover your car, and injuries, but worse yet any liability for the person they hit.

In the case of an accident, the other party may sue you claiming negligence on your part since you knew they did not have a valid US License. In this case they can sue you and your insurance company may decide not to cover based on negligence on your part.

Thankful my insurance covers her with her Thai licenses, but requires her to get a US License within one year or they will no longer cover her as a driver.

The big question would be once she becomes a resident of the state, how long before she must get a drivers license for that state?

Timeline

Once again... sooner or later, a valid US state drivers license will be required.

Don't know why some people can't seem to grasp that simple fact?

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

One other thing... has anyone tried to add their spouse to their auto insurance with a foreign drivers licence or international licence?

Would be interested in seeing what happens to your rates. :whistle:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline
One other thing... has anyone tried to add their spouse to their auto insurance with a foreign drivers licence or international licence?

Would be interested in seeing what happens to your rates. :whistle:

I plan on doing that tomorrow actually.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline
Once again... sooner or later, a valid US state drivers license will be required.

Don't know why some people can't seem to grasp that simple fact?

Because they all seem to want to beat the system! Oh, and they can't search...

Would be interested in seeing what happens to your rates. whistling.gif

Funny. My policy went down when I added her on. I am paying less for the two of us now then I was paying for one. I am sure it has more to do with being married. But normal rate for her.

Edited by AaronLV

Timeline

the reason so many step thru scooters are 49cc is because in many states a bike must be both step thru and less than 50cc in order to drive without a license. Here you can only drive on the shoulder, though. Unfortunately she doesn't drive scooters, either. She is picking up some words and I correct her from pigeon to standard English. I'm not pushing her much (which is why I vent here) since I know she's going through a lot. Living in the boonies, we've got a pond out back, 5 acres and dogs (she always bugs me to wash the dogs every other day...I told her once a week...we're working on that) LOL!

She misses her home and calls every couple days. My kids come here on the weekends and they have a blast. I guess I'll feel more comfy taking her all around more once I land a job. I spend most my days researching and applying since finding a job IS my job right now. This job thing's got me with insomnia though. She hit the hay a couple hours ago and i'll likely be here for a couple more. There are many large complications right now I won't go into but basically we need to sell this place and buy another...but a job...rent before 2 years of employment for the mortgage app, etc. ugh! She's beside herself why my family doesn't step in but I told her farang families seem to help strangers and rarely their own kin from what I've seen. I wanted to take her to see the Marine Band (their last concert) Friday night but we gotta get the kids...

I think I'll look at the library; great idea (thanks)!

I do appreciate all the helpful suggestions everyone!!! We did go to the county clinic to get her "pills" and they set her up with regular gyn services for the next year (made her promise this visit wasn't a one time that she'd be their patient permanently) I was impressed. When we paid nothing (sliding scale) she was impressed and kept saying how nice everyone was. She's still looking for Thais just to say HI (preferably Isaan since she's scared of Thai Thais here) but so far everyone she swears is a Thai I say "nope, Pino" cause of that spanish accent the pinos have.

My mom wants us to head to the Eastern shore to her place then hit the beach and see her churchy friends....I'm considering it since she's got cabin fever.

Maybe I'll have her drive the straight freeway part of the way there....gotta think about that. She went off the road only twice and nearly ran a stop sign (thank God for emergency hand brakes)....although she insisted she was gonna stop, I saw no evidence 3 car lengths before it. I told her to be conservative and do everything slowly so i know her next move....it's my only car so she's gotta be careful!

This sucks right now 'cause I had a killer job and was raking it in for a while then it all died to nothing overnight. Luckily I've got other alternatives but if they'd just call me back! I did get a drug test in the mail (good sign) to temp so that's cool (temps pay 20k higher :-) I'm no longer worried about health insurance for the time being knowing about the county here. They're on a sliding scale and the fees aren't too bad fully employed.

Her family is basically in a barn without windows so computer access and webcams are out. They're nearly camping out up there. I like staying there but living there would be hard. I feel for them and am motivated to find the means to get them into an airtight, air conditionable house.

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.