Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
i am so sorry to hear that. i can only imagine how are this is for you 2. did he give you a specific reason for denying? i hope there is an option for you. i hope something good will happen for you

The reasons were .. I asked him why..

The interview was not good .. And the fact she tired to get a tourist Visa in 2008. That had nothing to do with me at the time..Those reasons ..Never asked to see anything else..

Timeline

I'm really sorry to hear that Carl.

Did they review your evidence like pictures, etc? Or mention any particular reason why the visa had to be denied?

If it helps, me and my wife got married in Colombia tomorrow one year ago. It was a rather easy process. All you need is your birth certificate with the apostille from the state where you were born and a "No Marriage Record/Elegibility to Marry" (at least that's what it was called in West Virginia) certificate, which pretty much just certifies that you're single. This has to be apostilled too. You can call your city hall and ask about this one. They'll tell you what to do.

Next, when you get to Colombia with your papers ready, you have to translate them into spanish by a certified translator. My dad happens to be a certified, registered translator so if you want to, he could translate your documents. He translated ours.

Then, you go to the notary, show them your documents and choose the date. It'll have to be at least 5 business days after you go to the notary 'cause they have to post this notice on their board announcing the wedding and it has to stay up for 5 business days.

If you don't speak spanish you'll be required to bring a certified translator to the wedding and he'll have to show his license and I.D and sign the marriage certificate with you two.

My wife doesn't speak spanish so my dad acted as our certified translator.

That's it. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you. Again, I'm very sorry about your denial. I think that everybody's nightmare when they walk into that scary compound that is the American embassy in Bogota.

Timeline

Edit:

I just read your message above.

What kinda questions did they ask her? More specifically, at what point did the interview start going wrong?

I wonder why the fact that she applied for a tourist visa was a problem... I have similar situation in my case, although we have been married for a year now...

Timeline
Edit:

I just read your message above.

What kinda questions did they ask her? More specifically, at what point did the interview start going wrong?

I wonder why the fact that she applied for a tourist visa was a problem... I have similar situation in my case, although we have been married for a year now...

OMG

You are my angell .. Thanks

Thanks you are so helpful...We are thinking to do that get married in Bogota..

Your information is very helpful..

Can you tell me how long you waited for k-3 to be approved please

Timeline
OMG

You are my angell .. Thanks

Thanks you are so helpful...We are thinking to do that get married in Bogota..

Your information is very helpful..

Can you tell me how long you waited for k-3 to be approved please

We didn't file for K-3, instead, my wife (the American Citizen) has been living with me in Colombia for almost the entire year that we've been married. She's gone back to the states twice, for 2 months each time.

We went ahead and filed for CR-1 without bothering with the K-3 but only 'cause it fit our situation. You could file for the K-3 after you've filed your I-130 if you wanted to, though!

Timeline
I'm really sorry to hear that Carl.

Did they review your evidence like pictures, etc? Or mention any particular reason why the visa had to be denied?

If it helps, me and my wife got married in Colombia tomorrow one year ago. It was a rather easy process. All you need is your birth certificate with the apostille from the state where you were born and a "No Marriage Record/Elegibility to Marry" (at least that's what it was called in West Virginia) certificate, which pretty much just certifies that you're single. This has to be apostilled too. You can call your city hall and ask about this one. They'll tell you what to do.

Next, when you get to Colombia with your papers ready, you have to translate them into spanish by a certified translator. My dad happens to be a certified, registered translator so if you want to, he could translate your documents. He translated ours.

Then, you go to the notary, show them your documents and choose the date. It'll have to be at least 5 business days after you go to the notary 'cause they have to post this notice on their board announcing the wedding and it has to stay up for 5 business days.

If you don't speak spanish you'll be required to bring a certified translator to the wedding and he'll have to show his license and I.D and sign the marriage certificate with you two.

My wife doesn't speak spanish so my dad acted as our certified translator.

That's it. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you. Again, I'm very sorry about your denial. I think that everybody's nightmare when they walk into that scary compound that is the American embassy in Bogota.

Hi

you were asking this.

They only interviewed us ..He told me he did not need to look at any evidence..

It was a shock..

Timeline
We didn't file for K-3, instead, my wife (the American Citizen) has been living with me in Colombia for almost the entire year that we've been married. She's gone back to the states twice, for 2 months each time.

We went ahead and filed for CR-1 without bothering with the K-3 but only 'cause it fit our situation. You could file for the K-3 after you've filed your I-130 if you wanted to, though!

said that he did not like are answers to his questions that we were not like normal or something like a couple and the fact she had tried for a tourist visa in 2008 ..I did not know her then But knew about it she told me about it.,

Timeline

Ah that sucks. Well you should probably try to turn this decision around before you go ahead and get married, in my pinion. If you're not able t turn it around then at least you will have tried and that will help your case for when you file for a CR-1. I suggest you talk to an immigration lawyer now.

If you need any help or have any doubts about a wedding in Colombia, please let me know and I'll be happy to help you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Man, that does suck about the outright denial- sorry to hear that. They do not have to explain themselves at all- it is very frustrating to say the least. I agree about getting help with an immigration attorney, because just getting married and trying again may just end up with more problems. Best of luck...

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
said that he did not like are answers to his questions that we were not like normal or something like a couple and the fact she had tried for a tourist visa in 2008 ..I did not know her then But knew about it she told me about it.,

are you thinking about getting an immigration attororney? also i was wondering if you could write down some of the questions they asked you so it may help some of us prepare for the same type of questions?

Timeline

Hi everyone!!!

Today is a great day! I just received a phone call from the Embassy telling me I am out of Administrative Processing!!!!! We had AP for a total of 12 days. I have to buy a pin and make an appointment. They told me to bring my passport and my son's passport to the interview.

They also sent my husband an email, it reads:

Estimado senor:

Por favor que la senora Sandra *** vaya al Banco Colpatria compre un PIN y solicita una cita urgent para la seccion de Visa de Residente debe dar la clasificacion que esta en la parte de arriba de la hoja que le dio el Consul. Debe pedir la cita por segunda vez a las 7:00 a.m. Debe traer la hoja que le dio el Consul y los dos pasaportes.

Atentamente,

IV/Bogota

I'm praying the 2nd interview goes well and I don't have to file a 212 waver. Does anyone know if having Voluntary Departure requires a 212?

I am also praying for Carl and Jessica, may God help both of you in this journey.

Thank you!

07-22-2008 I-130 LPR

07-25-2008 NOA1

02-18-2009 Became Citizen

06-26-2009 Upgraded over the phone

06-28-2009 Was E-mailed confirmation of conversation with National Customer Service Center

08-05-2009 InfoPass Appointment

10-13-2009 I-130 Approved, received Approval via email

10-19-2009 NOA2 I-130 Approved (Hard Copy)

10-28-2009 NVC Received and assigned case #

11-04-2009 Received DS-3032/I-864 Bill

11-04-2009 Received IV Bill

11-06-2009 Paid I-864 Bill

11-06-2009 Paid IV Bill

11-11-2009 Returned Completed DS-3032

11-11-2009 Returned Completed I-864

11-27-2009 Case Completed at NVC

01-14-2010 Interview Date

01-14-2010 Placed on Administrative Processing

01-26-2010 Received phone call & Email to make new appointment at Embassy

02-01-2010 New Interview at Embassy

xx-xx-xxxx: Visa Received

xx-xx-xxxx: US POE

Timeline
are you thinking about getting an immigration attororney? also i was wondering if you could write down some of the questions they asked you so it may help some of us prepare for the same type of questions?

I have contacted a lawyer here in my city.She told that she can inquire about what exactly happen with interview.Her fee is 1,000 dollars [3 hours] just to email them .. There is no way she can tell me if they will give another interview.. And money is so tight.

Yes I know that if we get married there and do k-3 it could be refused too.

Man , what I am to do.. Its all has gotten very expensive..

I have contacted a lawyer here in my city.She told that she can inquire about what exactly happen with interview.Her fee is 1,000 dollars [3 hours] just to email them .. There is no way she can tell me if they will give another interview.. And money is so tight.

Also I have spoke to my congressmans office here too yesterday .,. The aide told me there is nothing they could do and said I need a lawyer.. OMG She would not even inquie as she said they can do nothing to help me..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Also I have spoke to my congressmans office here too yesterday .,. The aide told me there is nothing they could do and said I need a lawyer.. OMG She would not even inquie as she said they can do nothing to help me..

Then this is what I would do. Find out from the embassy if they still have the case. If they do, ask for another interview and tell them that you feel you didn't have a fair interview since you have a legitimate relationship. Buy a PIN for the interview if you have to and go to the embassy again for another interview. If that fails, then plan B would be to get married and file for a CR1 which can take as long as the K3, is a much better visa and less expensive.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Hi everyone!!!

Today is a great day! I just received a phone call from the Embassy telling me I am out of Administrative Processing!!!!! We had AP for a total of 12 days. I have to buy a pin and make an appointment. They told me to bring my passport and my son's passport to the interview.

I'm praying the 2nd interview goes well and I don't have to file a 212 waver. Does anyone know if having Voluntary Departure requires a 212?

I am also praying for Carl and Jessica, may God help both of you in this journey.

Thank you!

Heeeeeeey!!! That's great!!! I'm so happy for you! Best of luck with your next interview! I really hope everything goes well! I have a feeling it will.

It always gets me excited to hear good news from other people's cases. Anyway! Best of luck to ya!!

Timeline
Then this is what I would do. Find out from the embassy if they still have the case. If they do, ask for another interview and tell them that you feel you didn't have a fair interview since you have a legitimate relationship. Buy a PIN for the interview if you have to and go to the embassy again for another interview. If that fails, then plan B would be to get married and file for a CR1 which can take as long as the K3, is a much better visa and less expensive.

Diana

Diana always gives really good advice. I think you should try doing that immediately... it might actually turn things around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.