Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Ken,

The CO's can be a little hard to read when you are at the window..the only thing I got stuck on was when I was divorced, I couldn't remember...lol. But I asked her if she could help me if she had my divorce decree in front of her. The other thing they grilled me on was how we communicate. She asked me that like 3 different ways and I explained I speak Spanglish and Alexandra went to school for 15 months for English. But she was as cordial as she could be and I did not feel the least bit intimidated, near the end we engaged in a little bit of small talk about Bogota. Alexandra went to the window first and the CO wrote down all of her answers, verified and marked through the answers on her notepad as she ask me the same questions. I was very upbeat and very smiley during the entire process. They do watch your interaction together while you are waiting for your turn.

You will be fine... :thumbs:

I would try to avoid the "not look in your eyes" guy Joe had :whistle:

From what I recall of the experience (more than two years now - wow!!), I tend to agree that the decision has been made before you arrive at the embassy. I also am pretty sure that they watch people in the waiting area to see how couples interact. The lady at our 'first window' was neither rude nor friendly, but she was moderately accomodating when we discovered we were missing one document (the 157 I think). The CO we had was the same, neither rude nor friendly. He did look at us, at least, when we talked to him. We got some of the same questions about communicating. My Spanish was awful (only a little better now) and Lorena spoke almost no English. I told the story of how we met and how it seemed that I could understand Lorena from the first word, when I had so much trouble with virtually everyone else.

My guess is that for the majority of these embassy folks, they are just putting in their time until something better comes along. I suspect it would get INCREDIBLY tedious and boring to be asking the same questions day after day of literally thousands of (eventually) faceless and nameless people. Almost like working in a factory. Not making excuses for anyone's behavior, mind you, just trying to envision what it would be like.

As I'm sure has been stated here a hundred times or more, be yourself, be honest, be calm, and be attentive - both to each other and to the officials at the embassy. If your relationship is real, it will show.

Charles

The other thing they grilled me on was how we communicate. She asked me that like 3 different ways and I explained I speak Spanglish and Alexandra went to school for 15 months for English. But she was as cordial as she could be and I did not feel the least bit intimidated, near the end we engaged in a little bit of small talk about Bogota.

The CO we had was the same, neither rude nor friendly. He did look at us, at least, when we talked to him. We got some of the same questions about communicating. My Spanish was awful (only a little better now) and Lorena spoke almost no English. I told the story of how we met and how it seemed that I could understand Lorena from the first word, when I had so much trouble with virtually everyone else.

As I'm sure has been stated here a hundred times or more, be yourself, be honest, be calm, and be attentive - both to each other and to the officials at the embassy. If your relationship is real, it will show.

Charles

Thanks guys for your input. This is giving me a good idea on what to look out for during the interview.

I first took Spanish in the 8th Grade, 9th-12th, then 1 qtr. at the University I attended. After graduation, I took a "brush-up" class in 1994. From there on, deterioration set in. My co-workers are from; Peru, Mexico, and Nicaragua. They literally taught every day, proud that I took such a keen interest in learning their native language. Now, I converse with them each day in Spanish for about 15 minutes while they ask me about my Visa Journey.

When I met Leidys' family for the first time, they wanted to know what Barrio I lived in (in Barranquilla). I told them, "No. I'm an American." At the hotel, and around town I was asked the same thing. Everyone that didn't know me said, "You're an American because your parents took you to America. American's can't speak Spanish - YOU'RE A COLOMBIAN!" The Spanish is pretty good, plus Leidys can't speak hardly a word of English. I'll be happy to explain (most or all of) this at the interview. Oh Yea!

-Ken

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The other thing they grilled me on was how we communicate. She asked me that like 3 different ways and I explained I speak Spanglish and Alexandra went to school for 15 months for English. But she was as cordial as she could be and I did not feel the least bit intimidated, near the end we engaged in a little bit of small talk about Bogota.

The CO we had was the same, neither rude nor friendly. He did look at us, at least, when we talked to him. We got some of the same questions about communicating. My Spanish was awful (only a little better now) and Lorena spoke almost no English. I told the story of how we met and how it seemed that I could understand Lorena from the first word, when I had so much trouble with virtually everyone else.

Charles

Thanks guys for your input. This is giving me a good idea on what to look out for during the interview.

I first took Spanish in the 8th Grade, 9th-12th, then 1 qtr. at the University I attended. After graduation, I took a "brush-up" class in 1994. From there on, deterioration set in. My co-workers are from; Peru, Mexico, and Nicaragua. They literally taught every day, proud that I took such a keen interest in learning their native language. Now, I converse with them each day in Spanish for about 15 minutes while they ask me about my Visa Journey.

When I met Leidys' family for the first time, they wanted to know what Barrio I lived in (in Barranquilla). I told them, "No. I'm an American." At the hotel, and around town I was asked the same thing. Everyone that didn't know me said, "You're an American because your parents took you to America. American's can't speak Spanish - YOU'RE A COLOMBIAN!" The Spanish is pretty good, plus Leidys can't speak hardly a word of English. I'll be happy to explain (most or all of) this at the interview. Oh Yea!

-Ken

Ken,

Ha- yes, I thought you were from "Barrio Riverside!" :yes: Good luck on your upcoming interview!

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

OMG !!! Visa APPROVED !!! :dance:

Wow my knees are still shaking. We are so excited! Everything went nice and organized. My hubby went with me, but they didn't asked him anything.

This is my visa experience: I know there is a special site for this but I just want to share my experience with my Colombian club II !

-We got there about 6:30am (we didn't wanted to miss the "breakfast included" from the hotel)

-Line # 2, you get a green sticker for Immigrant visa applicants.

-Embassy opens gate at 7 am

-We went straight to 40 window, they give u a green folder where u organize your documents:

-They actually listed the baptismal certificate, thank God I got it. They kept it.

-Marriage, Birth, Police Certificate (they had the original I submited a fotocopy), 2 pictures 5"x5", DS230, Financial evidence (AOS, 3 most recent years tax returns, they had it so they gave them back), your passport.

-About 8:45 they called me to a window to check my docs. (4 , 29 to 32)

-9:45 fingerprints

-11:00 Interview, a very sweet and nice CO smiling, just 3 questions and she said the magic words "your visa has been approved" :thumbs: OMG !

-I just turned and kissed and hugged my hubby, he didn't get it right away, he was so surpised. Because other people were taking about 20 minutes per interview.

- then we went to pay Domesa, and that was it !

The order that you are called is aleatory, some people were fingerprinted after me, and they were interviwed first, so be patient.

I want to thank all of you for the advices, specially Mononoke, girl you've been a great help. Good luck for everyone, be organized and prepared and everything goes good. Just submit what they ask you but keep with all what you consider extra or not necesary. Bring a lot of proof of relationship, better safe than sorry. ;)

<<<HIM & I>>> TIME LINE

2007 Got Married
12/00/2008 Sent I-130
01/06/2009 I-130 NOA1
02/26/2009 I-130 NOA2 Approved
03/14/2009 AOS Fee Bill
03/18/2009 AOS Paid Receipt and Cover Sheet
03/14/2009 NVC sent DS-3032
04/01/2009 NVC received DS-3032
04/08/2009 NVC sent AOS Petitioner packet
04/10/2009 NVC sent IV fee bill
04/21/2009 IV paid receipt and cover sheet
05/12/2009 NVC received DS-230
07/06/2009 NVC recieved AOS
07/11/2009 Case completed !!!
07/28/2009 Appointment assigned
09/10/2009 Interview day, Visa Approved!!! Wheee!!!
09/19/2009 Visa in hand Wheee Heee!!!

10/12/2009 Flying home with my love Wheee Heee Heee!!!heart.gif

10/30/2009 Green card received !
07/22/2011 Filed to Remove conditions
07/27/2011 NOA Removal of Conditions
08/19/2011 Biometrics
10/19/2011 ROC Approved...Yay!!!
10/26/2011 Green Card in hand!!!
00/00/2013 Application for Citizenship

as1cF24uM2B0010MDY2NDlsfDAwODEwMGpsfEdDI

Wow my knees are still shaking. We are so excited! Everything went nice and organized. My hubby went with me, but they didn't asked him anything.

This is my visa experience: I know there is a special site for this but I just want to share my experience with my Colombian club II !

-We got there about 6:30am (we didn't wanted to miss the "breakfast included" from the hotel)

-We went straight to 40 window, they give u a green folder where u organize your documents:

-They actually listed the baptismal certificate, thank God I got it. They kept it.

-Marriage, Birth, Police Certificate (they had the original I submited a fotocopy), 2 pictures 5"x5", DS230, Financial evidence (AOS, 3 most recent years tax returns, they had it so they gave them back), your passport.

-11:00 Interview, a very sweet and nice CO smiling, just 3 questions and she said the magic words "your visa has been approved" :thumbs: OMG !

-I just turned and kissed and hugged my hubby, he didn't get it right away, he was so surpised. Because other people were taking about 20 minutes per interview.

The order that you are called is aleatory, some people were fingerprinted after me, and they were interviwed first, so be patient.

I want to thank all of you for the advices, specially Mononoke, girl you've been a great help. Good luck for everyone, be organized and prepared and everything goes good. Just submit what they ask you but keep with all what you consider extra or not necesary. Bring a lot of proof of relationship, better safe than sorry. ;)

Congratulations! It seems you had a easy time, mine was not much more intense...but in a nutshell exactly how the procedure goes. I would agree you never know for sure who you are going to talk to through the "prison phone" so have all of your proof of relationship, although they never asked us for one additional piece of anything. :thumbs: I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason to the order they were calling, based on the order of fingerprinting etc..

Timeline

VERY COOL- CONGRATS to you guys!!! :thumbs:

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations!!!

May I ask one favor for those going into interviews soon?

If you dare... talk with Joe about mentioning to the COs... about their knowledge of his delayed AP... maybe they'll snap to work a little faster and push it through.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations to you both!!!!! :thumbs:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congrats on the approval

Joe still thinking about ya though just to let you know

People always say I have to have latin in my blood also sonce i speak Spanish so well, but i grew up in Miami ( Little Havana area ) so I picked it up when I was about 13 :) Diana and Hal can attest that I can not write it for nothing :P

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Ken,

Ha- yes, I thought you were from "Barrio Riverside!" :yes: Good luck on your upcoming interview!

Joe

Riverside was primarily White when I was growing up here in the 1980s. In the 90s, places like Temecula, Banning, Murietta, and Yucaipa grew/expanded. After the divorce, I could have bought in any of these places, but being African-American, I have not had to endure skin head intimidation here like I have had to deal with in places like Palm Springs, Sun City, Huntington Beach, and even in Scandinavia. So, I chose to buy in Riverside and stay in Riverside because I haven't had to deal with gangs like the Nazi Lowriders, or the Ku Klux Klan - although, I spotted a guy in the local grocery store with a KKK tattoo on his right rear calf muscle (wearing shorts, of course). He was shocked that I saw his tattoo, and even more shocked that I did not go hands-on inside of the grocery store. Just a little inside info...

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline

Congrats on the approval

Joe still thinking about ya though just to let you know

People always say I have to have latin in my blood also sonce i speak Spanish so well, but i grew up in Miami ( Little Havana area ) so I picked it up when I was about 13 :) Diana and Hal can attest that I can not write it for nothing :P

Thanks very much for the thoughts... :)

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Timeline

Ken,

Joe

Riverside was primarily White when I was growing up here in the 1980s. In the 90s, places like Temecula, Banning, Murietta, and Yucaipa grew/expanded. After the divorce, I could have bought in any of these places, but being African-American, I have not had to endure skin head intimidation here like I have had to deal with in places like Palm Springs, Sun City, Huntington Beach, and even in Scandinavia. So, I chose to buy in Riverside and stay in Riverside because I haven't had to deal with gangs like the Nazi Lowriders, or the Ku Klux Klan - although, I spotted a guy in the local grocery store with a KKK tattoo on his right rear calf muscle (wearing shorts, of course). He was shocked that I saw his tattoo, and even more shocked that I did not go hands-on inside of the grocery store. Just a little inside info...

Ken, Very interesting story- thanks for sharing it....you're a good man! :thumbs: I'm in Orange County, as you know, so when you get back from your interview, we definately gotta get together.

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our case was put in AP process the day after the interview. I heard this is normal? has anyone in Bogota embassy went threw Ap and what seems to be the average time of this?

Does anyone know if they call you in for a second interview also?

Can anyone please give us an example of how many days it took you to recieve your visa?

:star::star:

I think I remember it being about a week..

Congratulations!!!

May I ask one favor for those going into interviews soon?

If you dare... talk with Joe about mentioning to the COs... about their knowledge of his delayed AP... maybe they'll snap to work a little faster and push it through.

It may be best to not mention Joe within a 5 mile radius of the embassy...joking buddy :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.