Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi folks,

Long time no see. I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a question from someone about to go through their K-3 interview in Bogota.

DAS is now offering an online service to get the Certificado Judicial. It allows people to download a print the document straight from the site. Does anyone know if this version is acceptable at the interview or does it have to be gotten directly from the DAS office?

Thanks.

CG

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi folks,

Long time no see. I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a question from someone about to go through their K-3 interview in Bogota.

DAS is now offering an online service to get the Certificado Judicial. It allows people to download a print the document straight from the site. Does anyone know if this version is acceptable at the interview or does it have to be gotten directly from the DAS office?

Thanks.

CG

Hey CG,

I saw that question in that other site but I wasn't sure. I think I'll ask in the Spanish thread since most of its members are actual beneficiaries getting all of those documents in order before their interview. I'll let you know what they say in this thread.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

CG,

The answer is No, the internet Certificado Judicial is not valid for the US embassy:

"Diana, dile a tu amiga que tiene que expedir el certificado de libreta, pues el que se imprime es solo para ciertas cosas que no incluye la embajada, eso fui lo que me dijeron el dia que fui a sacar el mio, como quien dice "esa platica, se perdio""

"El certificado del DAS , cuando te preguntan para q lo solicitas debes de decir q para viaje y te lo entregan al otro dia, ese q tu amiga saco no es valido para la embajada asi q ella debe de hacer el mismo proceso pero personalmente en el DAS.. y pagar de nuevo blush.gif blush.gif .. espero esto te halla ayudado en algo.. cuidate mucho"

Colombianos en visa K1

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
Thank you Diana ,

Do you know if the medical examinations can be done like the papers before request the interview or when will I know that I have to make the appointment .

thanks

The beneficiary can make an appointment for his/her medical once an interview has been scheduled with the embassy. If the interview has not been scheduled then they have to wait until it is to get all the lab and medical stuff done.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how recent a judicial certificate must be upon turning it in at the interview? Thanks for your help.

Steve

One year prior to interview date, but this changes upon the mood of the CO. Better have a < 6 month old one.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just a quick note on our interview yesterday (Wed.) Loooong story short, we got hit with the AP thing. We were literally the last ones called up to the window around 3:30 pm and grilled for a good half hour. I will have to go back and read the archives to see how this AP thing works- I'm sure that will drag on. I don't know what the percentage of people who get this get ultimately denied? I asked the interview guy if it was because we had a "red flag" or something, and he kind of implied it (AP) was a random thing done by a different division or company or something to keep them (the Embassy) in check, like a check and balance thing. Is that true? Was a bummer not to leave with a visa...

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Timeline
Just a quick note on our interview yesterday (Wed.) Loooong story short, we got hit with the AP thing. We were literally the last ones called up to the window around 3:30 pm and grilled for a good half hour. I will have to go back and read the archives to see how this AP thing works- I'm sure that will drag on. I don't know what the percentage of people who get this get ultimately denied? I asked the interview guy if it was because we had a "red flag" or something, and he kind of implied it (AP) was a random thing done by a different division or company or something to keep them (the Embassy) in check, like a check and balance thing. Is that true? Was a bummer not to leave with a visa...

Joe

Yes, that is true Joe. But nothing to worry about. Most people who've been put on AP in Colombia get their visas in less than 2 months. What will happen is that they will run a background check on whoever received the red flag, I assume it was your fiancé. Once it comes back clean, they will contact her and ask her to make another appointment for her to pick up her visa, this time she won't need to wait in any line and she won't need another interview.

It's not that bad and the CO didn't have anything to do with it really.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Joe

Yes, that is true Joe. But nothing to worry about. Most people who've been put on AP in Colombia get their visas in less than 2 months. What will happen is that they will run a background check on whoever received the red flag, I assume it was your fiancé. Once it comes back clean, they will contact her and ask her to make another appointment for her to pick up her visa, this time she won't need to wait in any line and she won't need another interview.

It's not that bad and the CO didn't have anything to do with it really.

Diana

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the info- it makes me a little more encouraged.

Just fyi on the sheet of paper the CO gave me, it had the box checked next to: seccion 221(g) "No ha presentado la documentacion para establecar su elegibilidad."

Then a second box checked under Otros that reads: "Su solicitud de visa ha sido retenida hasta tanto se complete un proceso administrativo interno. Nos pondremos en contacto con usted tan pronto el proceso haya culminado y le informaremos el paso a seguir."

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

One more question for the club: Is the baptism certificate with margin notes required for the interview or just strongly recommended? My fiancee, who lives in Medellin, is under the impression that she'd have to somehow get it from El Choco, where she was born, if we were to need it, so we'd like to avoid this if possible. In case it helps to answer the question, my fiancee has never been married before and has no kids. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.

Steve

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

One more question for the club: Is the baptism certificate with margin notes required for the interview or just strongly recommended? My fiancee, who lives in Medellin, is under the impression that she'd have to somehow get it from El Choco, where she was born, if we were to need it, so we'd like to avoid this if possible. In case it helps to answer the question, my fiancee has never been married before and has no kids. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.

Steve

Steve,

Do you actually mean "baptism certificate" or do you mean birth certificate? Yes, you need the long form birth certificate. Why would you need a baptism certificate? If you actually mean birth certificate, she can order one by telephone. My wife lives in Cali, and she ordered and received her birth certificate without traveling to her home town.

Edited by Dillan

No he actually meant baptismal cerfticate....SAVM I am so sorry a friend of mine has my paperwork, he is using mine as a template for his own Visa Journey. He is currently in CO so I can't call and ask him. But I know we obtained one for sure.....

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Steve

Packet 3 asks for a copy of their Baptismal Certificate but someone in the Spanish K1 Colombian thread said she didn't bring it with her to the interview and they were ok with that. If people can get it then it needs to have marginal notes where it says that the person has never married.

The reason why they ask for a Baptismal Certificate is because many people in Colombia don't register their babies after they're born, but because of their Catholic Faith they get them baptized. The US Embassy is aware of this and asks for a copy of the Baptismal Certificate as a back up document to certify not only the date and place of birth of the beneficiary but any previous marriages as well.

Here's what packet 3 says:

BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE: (Suggested) Recently issued baptismal certificate with marginal notes.

Here is the link for Packet 3: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv_appt_0404082.pdf

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Steve

Packet 3 asks for a copy of their Baptismal Certificate but someone in the Spanish K1 Colombian thread said she didn't bring it with her to the interview and they were ok with that. If people can get it then it needs to have marginal notes where it says that the person has never married.

The reason why they ask for a Baptismal Certificate is because many people in Colombia don't register their babies after they're born, but because of their Catholic Faith they get them baptized. The US Embassy is aware of this and asks for a copy of the Baptismal Certificate as a back up document to certify not only the date and place of birth of the beneficiary but any previous marriages as well.

Here's what packet 3 says:

BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE: (Suggested) Recently issued baptismal certificate with marginal notes.

Here is the link for Packet 3: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv_appt_0404082.pdf

Diana

Sound advice there. Hmm, always the gamble... I guess we'll have to think on this one a bit. It seems like the fact that she will have a birth certificate and she is fairly young (28) might mean that we could get away without tracking down this baptism certificate. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Steve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.