Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Wait so my husband's police certificate, birth certificate and military records don't have to be translated when we send them to the NVC? Did you just send the documents without translation or anything?

Just wanna make sure we don't mess up, 'cause it doesn't make very much sense for the documents to go in Spanish when the NVC is in the states...

Thanks again! :yes:

Another question we have:

My husband's dad is also a U.S citizen and, when he was about 17, he tried applying for him (my husband) to become a U.S resident but they wanted them to take a DNA test that costed a lot, so they dropped the case (I-130 hadn't been approved or anything). They got all their documents back and everything.

So, on the form I-130 where it asks if my relative has ever been under immigration proceedings, should we say yes, or no? We don't know because the process never got past the initial submission of documents (which were all later returned to his dad), but the fee was paid.

I'm sorry we're such newbies. >.<

I'd go with honesty on that one. There likely is a record of that somewhere that they could access and seeing a 'no' may be a red flag.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

About the translations:

Where they say "All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations"

Couldn't that be only for people who apply directly with the U.S embassies abroad? As far as I know, the application for his visa is being made in the U.S (Only that he's having the appointment at the U.S embassy in Colombia). Or am I wrong? Ugh, I wish they were more clear with this stuff.

And about wether or not he's been under immigration proceedings:

Well we want to be honest, yes. The thing is we don't know if there actually is any record because they didn't even go past step 1. Also, if the answer to the question is yes, then which of the options applies to our case? The options being: Removal, Exclusion/Deportation, Rescission, Judicial Proceedings.

Honestly, I don't think any of the options applies to the case?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
we have our interview for April 14th, we sent in our packet 3 documents March 9, they recieved it right away (by fax and servientrega) and issued us an interview date immediately, maybe if they receive it tomorrow (monday) you can get a late April interview or early May interview. good luck

Omar,

Good luck on the interview in April- will be curious to hear your review!

Joe

Just checking in: I am in the airport in Bogota now (Sunday morning) heading back to L.A. I went to see my honey in Pereira, and then we went to Cartagena for a few days- was very nice! We sent in request for embassy appt. (by Servientrega- not sure on spelling) on Friday, so they should receive on Monday 16th- will see when appt. is- maybe May?

Joe

Sounds like May, Joe. Maybe you'll get lucky and be on the minus side of the March cutoff for some cool reason to get an April interview.

Have a pleasant flight back home.

Thanks much Hal!

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Timeline
Just checking in: I am in the airport in Bogota now (Sunday morning) heading back to L.A. I went to see my honey in Pereira, and then we went to Cartagena for a few days- was very nice! We sent in request for embassy appt. (by Servientrega- not sure on spelling) on Friday, so they should receive on Monday 16th- will see when appt. is- maybe May?

Joe

Sounds like May, Joe. Maybe you'll get lucky and be on the minus side of the March cutoff for some cool reason to get an April interview.

Have a pleasant flight back home.

I agree with good ol' Hal. The cutoff date for next month's interviews is actually today so you may get lucky and get one for April. The best thing is to plan for early May and if they give it to you for next month, then all the better.

Diana

Thanks Diana- will post when I get appt. date...

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

Timeline
About the translations:

Where they say "All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations"

Couldn't that be only for people who apply directly with the U.S embassies abroad? As far as I know, the application for his visa is being made in the U.S (Only that he's having the appointment at the U.S embassy in Colombia). Or am I wrong? Ugh, I wish they were more clear with this stuff.

And about wether or not he's been under immigration proceedings:

Well we want to be honest, yes. The thing is we don't know if there actually is any record because they didn't even go past step 1. Also, if the answer to the question is yes, then which of the options applies to our case? The options being: Removal, Exclusion/Deportation, Rescission, Judicial Proceedings.

Honestly, I don't think any of the options applies to the case?

Is there a Yes- N/A possibility? This may elicit a question for clarification from them. You can strike preemptively by adding a short letter stating what happened in the past. Let me put it this way:

My fiancee's dad is a citizen of Spain. She took her dad's Spanish passport to the US Embassy and that apparently showed them that administratively, if she wanted to reach the US, she could by getting citizenship in a European country. By stating in your letter that your beneficiary is also the child of a US Citizen, it strengthens your interview all that much and the letter does not have to get into more details than mentioning your father in law's name and (if available), A# or naturalization number. Remember for these embassy documents you have to include biographical information about the parents anyway so that filial link is established.

The translations of importance would be from Spanish unless your SO has lived in other countries that issue government documents in other tongues other than English.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Wait so my husband's police certificate, birth certificate and military records don't have to be translated when we send them to the NVC? Did you just send the documents without translation or anything?

Just wanna make sure we don't mess up, 'cause it doesn't make very much sense for the documents to go in Spanish when the NVC is in the states...

Thanks again! :yes:

Back in 2007 when I filed for my husband the NVC clearly said that translations were needed if any of the documents were not in English, it didn't mention anything regarding the language of their country. It all changed last year where they now request translations for any document not in English or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made. Many people have said that they've sent their original documents and labeled them so the NVC knows what they are.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Another question we have:

My husband's dad is also a U.S citizen and, when he was about 17, he tried applying for him (my husband) to become a U.S resident but they wanted them to take a DNA test that costed a lot, so they dropped the case (I-130 hadn't been approved or anything). They got all their documents back and everything.

So, on the form I-130 where it asks if my relative has ever been under immigration proceedings, should we say yes, or no? We don't know because the process never got past the initial submission of documents (which were all later returned to his dad), but the fee was paid.

I'm sorry we're such newbies. >.<

I think you're referring to question 16 of the I-130 which clearly gives you 4 options if you answer yes and which are: Removal, Exclusion/Deportation, Recission, Judicial Proceedings. If none of them apply to your husband, which I don't think they do since he would have gone through immigration first, then the original answer to question 16 would be no. The question does not ask if a petition has been filed for him, it asks if he has ever gone under immigration proceedings.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Hi guys. I am glad to see the Colombia Club still survives. It was a huge help to us when we applied for the K-1. Good luck to everyone! :)

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline
Hi guys. I am glad to see the Colombia Club still survives. It was a huge help to us when we applied for the K-1. Good luck to everyone! :)

Hello Bill. We're new here!

It's really good for us to see people like you who've been reunited with their beloved ones thanks, in a big way, to these forums!

We can't wait to be in your position hehehe!!

Anyway, from what I've been able to gather (Cristian here, Amour's sleeping), the answer to that question, at least in my case, would be "no". But I'm wondering if it'd still be a good idea to answer "No" and then "See attachment" and have Amour write a letter stating that my dad did file an I-130 for me when I was a teenager but that he withdrew from the process soon after, for personal reasons (how specific should it be?). Or would this be completely unnecessary?

Gracias!

Timeline

Bill, how's it go? Hope all is great on the homefront.

Hello Bill. We're new here!

It's really good for us to see people like you who've been reunited with their beloved ones thanks, in a big way, to these forums!

We can't wait to be in your position hehehe!!

Anyway, from what I've been able to gather (Cristian here, Amour's sleeping), the answer to that question, at least in my case, would be "no". But I'm wondering if it'd still be a good idea to answer "No" and then "See attachment" and have Amour write a letter stating that my dad did file an I-130 for me when I was a teenager but that he withdrew from the process soon after, for personal reasons (how specific should it be?). Or would this be completely unnecessary?

Gracias!

Bueno Cristian... I'd still err on the side of caution with that specific answer. A Yes w/see attached letter should do the trick.

As for specifics be as specific as you're willing to be.

Timeline
Bueno Cristian... I'd still err on the side of caution with that specific answer. A Yes w/see attached letter should do the trick.

Thing is, if you look here: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1n8mq-...ion-immigration

That lawyer defines immigration proceedings as "Any proceeding that is before an Immigration Judge".

I've never been under anything even remotely similar. Like Diana said, the question doesn't refer to wether or not an I-130 has been filed on your behalf.

So by answering "Yes" I'd be answering wrong (from what it seems). And answering wrong can (from what I've seen) delay things. So I'm thinking I could answer "No" and still send a letter attached to it, just as a gesture of good will, you know?

I don't know, what do you guys think?

Timeline

Hi,

I remember reading many of your posts when searching past posts from the Colombian Club over the last several months- you asked many good questions!

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Timeline

Thing is, if you look here: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1n8mq-...ion-immigration

That lawyer defines immigration proceedings as "Any proceeding that is before an Immigration Judge".

I've never been under anything even remotely similar. Like Diana said, the question doesn't refer to wether or not an I-130 has been filed on your behalf.

So by answering "Yes" I'd be answering wrong (from what it seems). And answering wrong can (from what I've seen) delay things. So I'm thinking I could answer "No" and still send a letter attached to it, just as a gesture of good will, you know?

I don't know, what do you guys think?

Well again, question #16 gives you four different options if you check YES. If you find that none of those options apply to you, then it's pretty obvious that you should've checked NO. That's how I see it.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Yep. Given the answer options, 'No' seems like a better choice... but I'd still be prepared to explain/write about that prior aborted process.

Hey all! I didn't abandon the thread just took some time away I have been busy and planning the wedding and my daughters were with me for their spring break etc..... for some reason I have had issues to post interview reviews and POE reviews...still not resolved. I took copious voice notes of every step of the way so if anyone needs help I will be happy to answer any questions. It is good to be back to the thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.