Eveline

*Baby Corner*

5,409 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I never put zaids carseat in the top of the cart. His wasnt secure. Not to mention I was at the store today and watched a ladies infant carrier( with her child in it) slide right off the cart and into the floor. thankfully the baby was fine.

Nessa. Zaid sat up unsupported very early. We have a shopping cart cover and I love it. HE LOVES sitting up in the basket. It made shopping much easier bc he use to get soo fussy in the carrier when it was in the back of the grocery basket.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

ok, here's a link to the old Baby Corner. Hey I'm attached to "my" thread, since it was the one of my pregnancy and delivery... :luv:

Just in case anybody else ever wants to look it up again and dwell, here it is: Baby Corner

co-sleeping: we coslept for 6 months straight and are now going back and forth. A typical night is putting him to sleep in his crib downstairs or in the pack'n play in our room, he sleeps until midnight-2 am, nurses, goes back to sleep and either stays asleep til 4am or wakes up every 30-60 minutes and goes right back to our bed. :bonk: I'm too exhausted to get up every single time. With the next baby ,we are definitely getting a co-sleeper. Ben is a very light sleeper and I think it would make sense if the baby doesn't wake up every time one of us turns around, because he is on his own matress, yet still close enough.

@Nessa; I like the way #1 looks, but I tried it at the store and it was the most uncomfortable one. I like gliders that resemble a real chair more. But they have to glide rather than rock and recline.

I am a little on the fence about swaddling. I was taught in nursing school in Germany that it is old fashioned and a lot of parents swaddle too tight, which can be bad for Baby's hip development. We mainly swaddled Babies in the NICU who were on drug withdrawals after delivery by a drug/alcohol/nicotine addicted mother. They were way calmer when wrapped up. It's also supposed to help with severe cases of colic, but I guess each Baby is different.

I think it makes sense to handle a baby with a firm grip, roll them instead of pulling them up and have a rolled up towel/blanket by his feet so he knows where his "body ends" after being curled up in the womb.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Allie was and still is very wiggly. She didn't sleep because she kept waking herself up with jerky movements. Once swaddled, she slept. After she found her thumb (at around 8 weeks) and started sucking that I just left one arm out of the swaddler and had the other one on her body. Now, she's good. She's not moving as much anymore.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
We STILL swaddle Ilyas and he's 5.5 months old! He is a great sleeper when swaddled--if not swaddled, he stays awake, rolling around and putting everything in his mouth! I keep trying to not swaddle him, but he gets himself in all kinds of crazy positions and doesn't sleep. I love my little blue burrito :star: .

If you are interested in Swaddling, I recommend the Miracle Blanket and read or watch The Happiest Baby on the Block.

Thanks! Haven't read it yet, but I think this guy is using some of those techniques. I'll read some more.

I'm the USC.

Timeline

OMG..that kid has lungs. None of kids ever cried so loud. They are quiet criers :lol: . The swaddler and that rocking motion plus the shhh (aka mommys blood rushing through her body) really seem to work tough.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline
I am a little on the fence about swaddling. I was taught in nursing school in Germany that it is old fashioned and a lot of parents swaddle too tight, which can be bad for Baby's hip development. We mainly swaddled Babies in the NICU who were on drug withdrawals after delivery by a drug/alcohol/nicotine addicted mother. They were way calmer when wrapped up. It's also supposed to help with severe cases of colic, but I guess each Baby is different.

I think it makes sense to handle a baby with a firm grip, roll them instead of pulling them up and have a rolled up towel/blanket by his feet so he knows where his "body ends" after being curled up in the womb.

Speaking of hip development, I read recently that, in addition to the amount of water she needs for herself, a pregnant woman needs 8 more ounces per hour for the baby so there will be enough fluid in the gestational sac. The article said that if there isn't enough, it can stunt the growth of the limbs. I haven't heard or read this anywhere else. I've never been one to drink enough water to start with, but I'm definitely more thirsty since I got pregnant -- dry mouth and all. So I worry that I'm still not drinking enough. Any truth to this, do you think?

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Jona loved being swaddled in a swaddle blanket when he was younger, but now he is not a fan at all....

The bassinet of a pack'n'play only supports a certain weight - ours only supported up to 15 pounds, so we stopped using it pretty soon...

@ Caybee: uh never heard of that. I do know though that drinking adequate amounts of water is important. I usually down 3 liters per day naturally as I'm a really thirsty person. I was drinking more throughout pregnancy, I just had to. A ueber-diligent nurse thought I had diabetes. Of course, I don't, I just need to drink. I hate a dry mouth!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

I was told that a pregnant woman should drink at least one gallon of water a day (included soups, slushees etc.). In both pregnancies I ended up at the hospital for dehydration. I'm not one to drink enough either and it's not fun to have somebody trying to find your veins to put an IV in. I really had to force myself to drink enough but I never had problems with low amniotic fluid.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Timeline
I was told that a pregnant woman should drink at least one gallon of water a day (included soups, slushees etc.). In both pregnancies I ended up at the hospital for dehydration. I'm not one to drink enough either and it's not fun to have somebody trying to find your veins to put an IV in. I really had to force myself to drink enough but I never had problems with low amniotic fluid.

I have been craving just plain carbonated water, so if I make sure I have that on hand, I'll get enough. But plain water or anything sweet is a struggle. Just that bit about the veins is a good motivator.

I'm the USC.

Timeline

That video of the dad using the Happiest Baby technique is great...it really works! My son was rarely that upset, but when he was, I used the method and he, too, calmed right down.

Here's a recent article on swaddling:

January 14, 2008, 9:58 am

The Right Way to Swaddle

Correct swaddling calms and soothes a baby. (Heidi Bradner for The New York Times)

Swaddling, the practice of tightly wrapping a baby in a light blanket, is an age-old technique that not only calms babies but makes them portable. The technique is growing in popularity in the United States as a result of a best-selling parenting book that teaches frazzled parents how to soothe crying babies.

This month, the medical journal Pediatrics has weighed in with a commentary, noting that there is a wrong way and a right way to swaddle.

The right way has a seemingly wondrous effect. Fussy babies, with their arms wrapped tightly to mimic the effect of the mother's womb, stop crying almost instantaneously. The technique has been popularized recently by pediatrician Dr. Harvey Karp, author of "The Happiest Baby on the Block." But several medical studies, including one report last year in The Journal of Pediatrics, also show that swaddling can decrease crying time. Other studies show it prolongs sleep and even reduces a baby's risk for sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS — but only if the baby is on its back. Swaddled babies placed on their stomachs are at higher risk for SIDS, as noted in a review article published in Pediatrics last October.

But there is a wrong way to swaddle. The wrong kind of wrapping can affect a baby's hip development and increase risk for developmental dysplasia of the hip, a relatively common problem that, if not caught early, can lead to premature joint problems and chronic pain in adulthood. Hip dysplasia as a result of swaddling typically occurs in cultures that bundle their babies for portability, sometimes wrapping their legs and attaching them to a cradle board for carrying.

But the authors of the Pediatrics commentary question if the rising popularity of swaddling in the United States may lead to an inadvertent increase in hip dysplasia among children here. "Although we appreciate that swaddling may sometimes be an effective technique to decrease crying and promote sleep in newborns, there is a concern that it may lead to an increase in hip dysplasia," wrote the article authors, from the department of orthopedics at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Parents who swaddle shouldn't panic. Hip dysplasia is easily corrected when caught. The real message is that swaddlers should make sure they are doing it right and discuss the correct technique with their pediatrician. Videos from "The Happiest Baby on the Block" series also demonstrate correct swaddling technique. The key is to leave plenty of room for baby's legs to move around. And a simple trick — adding a second diaper over the first, before swaddling — easily alleviates the problem because it pushes a baby's hips in the right position. In fact, a nationwide program to improve swaddling technique and promote wider diapers in the late 1970s resulted in a five-fold reduction in hip dysplasia, according to the Pediatrics article.

Dr. Karp compares swaddling to car seats — something parents have to learn to use the right way.

"Babies have an on and off switch for crying, but like any other reflex it requires very specific technique," said Dr. Karp. "For the last 30 years pediatric books have talked about swaddling, and rocking and white noise and all that stuff, but they never taught parents how to do it. These techniques have to be taught very specifically."

Edited by Carolyn

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Girls!!

I'm back....

We went on saturday to open our baby registry to Babies R Us, I met with two friends that had babies recently and gave me great advice, we spent about 3 hours in the store, and got my list. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy!!!! :dance::dance::dance:. For the mommies that are giving birth on April, when are they having their baby showers????

Here I'm posting some recent pics from this weekend, Sofia is getting big. We choose the name Sofia years ago, we both love it and is going to be spelled SOFIA, not SOPHIA, in honor of our latin roots, Sil is italian and I'm peruvian. I'm glad is a girl 'cause if we were having a boy hubby wanted to name him SILVIO III, no way! I like the name SEBASTIAN and he does it too but he was crazy about naming our boy after him and his dad.

My pics.......

post-7875-1233626709_thumb.jpg

sofsmile-1.jpg

Timeline

Vi, I love the pictures. You look so cute all pregnant.

Allie was due in August and I had the shower on July 13. I think the 'rule' is about 4 weeks before your EDD.

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Girls!!

We choose the name Sofia years ago, we both love it and is going to be spelled SOFIA, not SOPHIA, in honor of our latin roots, Sil is italian and I'm peruvian. I'm glad is a girl 'cause if we were having a boy hubby wanted to name him SILVIO III, no way!

My pics.......

:lol: Im the same...even though I dont care if it was a boy or girl as long as it is a healthy little bub then Im fine with it...only thing is if its a boy, it will have a III which Im not too keen about! Sofia's a beautiful name..good choice :thumbs:

ROC Journey:-

05.11.2012 -- mail I-751 packet

05.14.2012 -- Packet arrived @ VSC

xx.xx.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1 dated 05.15.2012

05.31.2012 -- Biometric notice date

06.27.2012 -- Biometrics Taken

01.23.2013 -- Card Production Ordered.

01.28.2013 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone has used 'Belli Skin Care' products? Ive read some good reviews on it and purchased the Elasticity Belly Oil and Skin Smoothing Body Exfoliator online yesterday.

ROC Journey:-

05.11.2012 -- mail I-751 packet

05.14.2012 -- Packet arrived @ VSC

xx.xx.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1 dated 05.15.2012

05.31.2012 -- Biometric notice date

06.27.2012 -- Biometrics Taken

01.23.2013 -- Card Production Ordered.

01.28.2013 -- 10 Year Green Card Received