thetreble

No Canada?

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
In Elem. we always said the Lord's prayer and God save the Queen. I don't remember Oh Canada till Jr. High... that was played every morning over the PA right before the announcements.. In High School .. nada.. just on Remembrance Day etc.

Woot - finally someone else who remembers God Save the Queen ! i went a smaller private school, but we had a big assembly each Friday and we sang either O Canada or God Save the Queen - honestly i think it was at the discretion of the little old lady playing piano :)

Here in Northern Virg. they play the SSB and say the Pledge each day - my daughter was so freaking confused about the Pledge...she came home and was like - what tha heck was that mum..... She still doesn't know it or attempt to say it, but remains standing respectfully while it's being done. It's kind of like Freeze tag, whereever the kids are in teh school everybody freezes, says the Pledge and then continues on. Obviously one day my daughter may learn it if she decides to become a US citizen. I personally have always known it, more then likely because my parents church has many Americans in it and I think we may have even said it at times.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
My first kiss.. wow.. was with my camp counsellor.. I've probably told this story before.. I was going into grade 7 and had this crush on my guy counsellor.. last night of camp we made out in the couches at the back of chapel.. then the next day when it was time for the dean to pass out t-shirts to the campers I was handed mine and all you hear is him saying "you are a CAMPER?".. :lol: He thought I was a counselor the whole week of camp.. :bonk: He messed up and kissed on of his camp kids!! :lol:

D'OH! :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

So on inauguration day when Miss Large Bow Franklin was singing .. i was like.. wait a sec.. this is God save the Queen.. YOU PUT DIFFERENT WORDS TO IT... :protest: :protest:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
So on inauguration day when Miss Large Bow Franklin was singing .. i was like.. wait a sec.. this is God save the Queen.. YOU PUT DIFFERENT WORDS TO IT... :protest::protest:

Yeah, what the heck's up with that?!!! Tune stealers!!!!!!! :bonk:

I actually thought.. most people in the US probably think that's a US original... of course my hubby who is a Queen hater, loves that it took over God save the Queen :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
and God save the Queen.

gawwdddd you izzz ollldddzzzz.

:lol:

You aren't even that old E, are you? That is amazing you were still singing God Save the Queen. Who else here sang it growing up? Let this be a testament to your age!!!! I dare you!!! :devil:

What do you consider 'old' Amanda?

This has already happened in American schools. When I was a kid, the class would stand up every morning and recite the Pledge of Allegiance while facing the U.S. flag. That was slowly phased out due to the idea that the pledge was "reducing the rights of those from other cultures." The odd thing about this is that although you were made to stand up, there was no requirement to say the words. You could stand there and daydream if you wanted.

I think the situation concerning both the Pledge of Allegiance and O Canada are moronic. If you don't want to deal with it, then either don't say it (and let others do if they wish) or move.

We have to stand and do the Pledge of Allegiance when I take my stepson to Cub Scouts. I still don't have it memorized- I just fake my way through it. As a Canadian, I don't know if its rude or not to stand there and say nothing.
I think saying nothing is ok :thumbs:

I also think this whole anthem thing is really weird.

When I attended school in Calgary, it was accepted that I could stand silent during "O Canada" as well as flag-salute (yes, they did have this prior to 1975 at least with the generalised words "I salute the flag, the emblem of my country; to her I pledge my love and loyalty").

"The school's principal has dropped it in response to concerns from other parents."

And what concern would that be....????? That is ridic.

Possible answers:
  • some of them (students, as well as parents) are non-naturalised Landed Immigrants, and claim "well, we're not citizens of Canada, why should we sing song implying loyalty to it?"
  • some of the parents are from QC and support PQ/BQ--and hoped to get a result like the rule in Parliament limiting how many Maple Leaves are ontop of an MP's desk
Either way, PC gone from awry all the way to FUBAR!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually this is a funny topic. Having lived in the US for over 10 years now and lived in Canada a ton for a lot more, I can honestly say that I do not know the lyrics to either nations national anthem. I'm probably one of the few people that can't even rhyme off a phrase of their homelands anthem at all let alone the new countries.

I do know more of the US anthem though, since I don't even remember much how the Canadian one goes at all.

Funny thing is I do know all the words to the Pledge of Alliegence. I learn that in 9th or 10th grade since it was the intro to "School Daze" by W.A.S.P. and I listened to it so much I just rememeberd how it goes. I haven't said it for decades but still know all the words.

I'm so patriotic...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
and God save the Queen.

gawwdddd you izzz ollldddzzzz.

:lol:

You aren't even that old E, are you? That is amazing you were still singing God Save the Queen. Who else here sang it growing up? Let this be a testament to your age!!!! I dare you!!! :devil:

What do you consider 'old' Amanda?

I was just kidding. I think age is really just a number. My dad is almost 60 and is in TEN times better shape then me. He should be on one of those commercials for bow flex or whatever. hah

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Every time I hear the O'Canada being played I get goose bumps! I love it, and it means a lot to me!! But do I know all the words to it, no!! Every time I go into this 1 post office here in VA, i seem to get this 1 teller, and I usually always have my Hockey Night in canada hat one--or last time I had with me Don Cherry's latest book with me, and the postie picked up on it. he always says that if I can sing the complete version of O'Canada my shipping would be free,lol

if people don't want to stand for the song, then haul ur #### out of Canada and stop enjoying the freedoms others have provided

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I grew up in BC. Born and raised.

In elementary school, the only year we had to stand up in class every morning and sing Oh Canada was in grade 5. Our teacher thought it would be proper. None of the other classes did it. That lasted for about a month and then we stopped doing that. Honestly, it's kinda dull first thing in the morning. Still tired, dreading another long day in class. Now we're supposed to get up and sing the same song we sang on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday today on Friday? The reason we stopped was that our teacher didn't think we had enough energy being put into it. And we didn't. I didn't enjoy doing that every day at 8:30AM.

We did sing it in monthly assemblies in the gym when the whole school was there. Now as far as the monthly assemblies go, that was fun. 600 students singing in harmony and power. Much better than the 25 of us in class.

In high school (grade 8-12), I think we did it at graduation. But aside from that, I don't remember any other time.

In regards to the original post, I say skip it. Start learning first thing when the kids walk into class. It seems like a waste of time to me to be singing in that regard. (I don't see anybody pushing for mandatory singing of Oh Canada in the workplace. That would have gone over real well since I used to start work at 5AM. Nobody said much of anything until around 7:30).

Singing Oh Canada at an NHL hockey game is a heck of a lot more fun than singing it in class daily.

Timeline
I grew up in BC. Born and raised.

In elementary school, the only year we had to stand up in class every morning and sing Oh Canada was in grade 5. Our teacher thought it would be proper. None of the other classes did it. That lasted for about a month and then we stopped doing that. Honestly, it's kinda dull first thing in the morning. Still tired, dreading another long day in class. Now we're supposed to get up and sing the same song we sang on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday today on Friday? The reason we stopped was that our teacher didn't think we had enough energy being put into it. And we didn't. I didn't enjoy doing that every day at 8:30AM.

We did sing it in monthly assemblies in the gym when the whole school was there. Now as far as the monthly assemblies go, that was fun. 600 students singing in harmony and power. Much better than the 25 of us in class.

In high school (grade 8-12), I think we did it at graduation. But aside from that, I don't remember any other time.

In regards to the original post, I say skip it. Start learning first thing when the kids walk into class. It seems like a waste of time to me to be singing in that regard. (I don't see anybody pushing for mandatory singing of Oh Canada in the workplace. That would have gone over real well since I used to start work at 5AM. Nobody said much of anything until around 7:30).

Singing Oh Canada at an NHL hockey game is a heck of a lot more fun than singing it in class daily.

Actually, it is probably a waste of time to have 30 tired kids singing the anthem. However that wasn't really the gist of the article.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I used to stand silent for the "lords prayer" that was said every morning even though I was in a public school. But I didn't go making a big stink for them to cancel it out.

I hate PC.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.