trailmix

Visiting and working in Canada

Visiting and working in Canada  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Your former Canadian employer would like you to come back to Canada for 2 weeks to work would you:

• Say Yes! It would be lovely to see everyone again! When do I leave?
    • Say you would like to...but no, your spouse would be none-too-happy, so you decline the offer
    • Say no - you don't want to be away from your spouse for 2 weeks (and your spouse wouldn't be happy about it either)
    • Say no, you don't want to be away from your spouse - but your Spouse would be happy to have the house to themselves for 2 weeks
  2. 2. Visiting Canada - your relative sends you a ticket to Canada as a birthday present, do you:

• Immediately go online to book!
    • Want to go, but your spouse would be none-too-happy, so you decline the offer
    • Say thanks but no thanks, unless both of you are going to visit, you don't want to go
    • Say no, you don't want to be away from your spouse - but your Spouse would be happy to have the house to themselves

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My hubby's been on 3 trips without me for a week at a time.. and I only was away once.. so I got 2 trips to make up.. and he's about to go on another one in a few weeks without me.. so me not worried :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would head back for another short trip on the CP 140 Aurora any day!!

I have no problems leaving the spouse and heading back to Canada alone,lol Up until now, i have spent nearly a month back in SK every summer. School comes to an end this May, so have to be an adult again!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
You can't coordinate it so that you go together! :lol:

The poll is silly :lol:

I didn't work it and re-work it because I thought I would just create it and throw it out there - but it is specifically about whether or not you would leave your spouse behind and go on a trip.

I would redo it but my sex and the city dvd is here :hehe:

Oh. Well, in that case...... HELL yes!!!!!!!

Ok well krikit's answer should have been the answer on this poll...I think a Hell yes and a Hell no would have been better :lol:

I think it is really interesting how some people have no problem going on holiday or wherever without their spouse - personally I don't want to (but that's just me - and him)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't go on a holiday without my spouse but if my family is going to pay for my ticket to some see them I would go even if my hubby couldn't... a few years ago I probably wouldn't have but now I really miss my family...

my SIL actually did that a few years back.. she paid for my ticket and then my parents generously stepped in and paid for a ticket for my hubby... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

So my husband comes down from Canada last week to watch the kids so I can go on a business trip. I will grant you that I hated being away from him like that, but there's no real logic to it. Afterall, I'm away from him most weeks for at least a few days/week and sometimes the entire week. So what does it matter where either of us are when we're away from one another?

In principle neither of us mind being away from one another. He's taken two trips without me over the past 2 years and I was OK with it. I take one measly business trip and I was unhappy. I'm just retarded.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Timeline
You can't coordinate it so that you go together! :lol:

The poll is silly :lol:

I didn't work it and re-work it because I thought I would just create it and throw it out there - but it is specifically about whether or not you would leave your spouse behind and go on a trip.

I would redo it but my sex and the city dvd is here :hehe:

Oh. Well, in that case...... HELL yes!!!!!!!

Ok well krikit's answer should have been the answer on this poll...I think a Hell yes and a Hell no would have been better :lol:

I think it is really interesting how some people have no problem going on holiday or wherever without their spouse - personally I don't want to (but that's just me - and him)

I wouldn't want to go on a holiday, like a cruise or something without my husband (unless it's a girls trip with my ladies)!! But I don't consider going home to Canada a holiday.... I just don't see Oakville as a holiday destination!! :lol: I imagine Glen will come back with me sometimes, but I'll go back on my own quite often too! To spend quality time with Mum and my girlfriends!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

My husband was born in Oakville so of course it is a holiday destination! I'm sure there's a historical monument around there someplace honoring his birth... :-)

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

DS-230 sent 10/2

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

Filed: Timeline
I wouldn't want to go on a holiday, like a cruise or something without my husband (unless it's a girls trip with my ladies)!! But I don't consider going home to Canada a holiday.... I just don't see Oakville as a holiday destination!! :lol: I imagine Glen will come back with me sometimes, but I'll go back on my own quite often too! To spend quality time with Mum and my girlfriends!!

What?!!!! Bite your tongue, girl! :bonk: Why, I'm going back there just to go bowling! :lol:

My husband was born in Oakville so of course it is a holiday destination! I'm sure there's a historical monument around there someplace honoring his birth... :-)

Ahhh, yes. The MrZ theme park and adventure camp. Very spectacular. Hard to get tickets, though. You need to line up minutes in advance. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I had the opportunity to go back to Canada to work for a while, I would JUMP at the chance... and my husband would fully support it.

After almost five years of marriage, a couple of weeks apart wouldn't kill either one of us.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Because of timing and stuff we go on vactions together and by ourselfs. The 3 trips to Canada in the past 4 years I went alone actually for the weekends. So no biggie for me. Wife has gone to Oregon alone, I go see my friends in Florida and go with my friends to Vegas alone etc.

We do take trips together, but with work scheduals and stuff like that, we don't always go together...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Ahhh, yes. The MrZ theme park and adventure camp. Very spectacular. Hard to get tickets, though. You need to line up minutes in advance. :lol:

All of my potential responses reveal a dirty mind. :devil:

DS-230 sent 10/2

If it is just in regards to being away from my spouse for that long than absolutely I would go. For me it is taking my son and soon to be next child into consideration. A few months after returning from mat leave I had to go to Calgary for 2 weeks of work training and leave my 14 month old. That wasn't fun. If it was my spouse.... no big deal to be away that long... he's a big boy and I'm a big girl and we toook care of ourselves long before we met each other. Probably a good chance when I get back from this mat leave I will have to go to BC for 3 weeks of training and leave 2 kiddos behind. Not looking forward to that.

Filed: Timeline

All of my potential responses reveal a dirty mind. :devil:

:lol:

iagree.gif

C. has been in Canada for the past month working for his former employer. It's no fun being separated, but the winter is the busy season and work had dried up here (though seems to be picking up.)

So I can answer this one out of experience. Only two weeks, in your example? No question, he'd take it.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

Since it is not a set time frame ticket I would go book immediately after finding out a date my honey could come too, then use my flyer miles to get him a free ticket :D

I would love to see everyone again, but I'm not sure I would come back to work, just to visit.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.