Laura & Lyle

Background Checks, How Long?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What is the average duration of the background checks?

We receive our NOA1 on August 25th and are currently behind the curve judging by Igor's list? We have been told our petition is currently in background checks and due to the high volume of cases in background check there is no estimate of when ours will clear background checks.

Whom is it the background checks are performed on?

Thanks for looking.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We receive our NOA1 on August 25th and are currently behind the curve judging by Igor's list? We have been told our petition is currently in background checks and due to the high volume of cases in background check there is no estimate of when ours will clear background checks.

Thanks for looking.

Usually just a few days. I'd imagine both the sponsor & the foreign spouse/fiancee are checked, but I'm not sure.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi! We also just found out from a congressman inquiry that we are in name checks/ security checks. I also wonder how long it will take. Hopefully not forever. Thanks for the link. Pretty interesting! But I don´t think I ever got into trouble with any of those.

We also found out that the name check is made for my name (beneficiary) and not for the petitioner (U.S. citizen).

Let´s keep our fingers crossed for a fast approval!

NOA1 August 22nd

touched after congressman inquriry January 27th

touched again February 27th

NOA2 hardcopy March 7th

Interview April 23rd

Visa in mail April 29th

Flight to US May 14th

I got an RFE for the IMBRA questions (since my lawyer left that page entirely blank from the I-129F) on Jan 02, I returned the page with responses to the questions ("none" and signed it) and CSC received it Jan 06 and we have been waiting for our NOA2 ever since, with an NOA1 date of August 19. I have not contacted senators/congressman yet to figure out why we do not have our NOA2 yet since we are still within the 180 day (6 months) processing time and I did not want to hear the answer: "you are still within processing time". Even though I have not asked, I am sure it is probably security checks that are holding up our NOA2 even though neither of us have a background to investigate--it is just a matter of backlog with the security checks at CSC. Also, I received a case update for my RFE stating that they should make a decision within 60 days of Jan 06, so I am also waiting due to that time period they have given me (60 days will be completed by March 07). Of course I am anticipating approval way before that, even this week I dare say, but I don't think it is anything to worry about that we do not have approval yet. So as far as you guys, Laura and Lyle, don't be so worried, you will get your NOA2 soon, it is just a matter of days, the majority of the waiting is over :)

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Awesome! thanks for the link! I'm sure we must be in checks. I'm an angel :innocent: but my fiance has a bit of a past. Stuff from over 10 yrs ago, dumb stuff he did when he was young. now i am paying for it. oh boy, this is going to be a long ride... :wacko:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jere. 29:11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow no estimate? that sucks! My dad has the same last name as me and has a bit of a criminal record but nothing in the last 23 years... we are estranged... I really hope i dont get held up because we have the same last name.

My fiancee is just a person with a common name, thats im think will be the only reason to be in a background Check, cuz when he travel in every POE always the officers ask him a lot of questions, so we discover the mistery.......

K-1 & K-2
Visa in hand: may 14
POE: Chicago (O'Hare) 05/29/2009 finally together!!!958013z2g3nx0iwd.gif
384957uvzupp2kbf.gif
AOS Journey:
sep 25 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox (AOS FOR K-I & K-2)
sep 27 received and signed
0ct 7 NOA in mailbox (dated oct 2 )
oct 13 biometrics letter (10/27/2009)(DONE)
oct 21 transfer to CSC letter in mailbox ( dated oct 16)
nov 13 : EAD & AP approved
touch after EAD & AP approval? USCIS crazy ppl.
nov 20: AP arrive in the mail
nov 21: EAD arrive in mail

NOV 30: AOS APPROVED (Thanks GOD)
DEC 5: GC & SS arrived in mail
I-751 sent: 08/26/2011
NOA 1: 08/30/2011
BIO: 10/13/2011[/color
I-751 approved 06/28/2012
CARD RECEIVED 05/07/2012

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Our petition has also been in background checks since Jan 9. Neither of us have any notable background history except that 6 months ago we tried for a visitor visa rather than a fiancee visa because we wanted longer to plan the wedding. But the visitor visa was denied. I hope that doesnt mean that we are going to be in security checks for another 2 months.

Does anyone have a similar situation? How long did it take for your petition to be cleared?

Timeline complete and up to date! Check it out!

To track DHL shipment of your petition from NVC to the embassy refer to this posting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t=#entry2811887

Our petition has also been in background checks since Jan 9. Neither of us have any notable background history except that 6 months ago we tried for a visitor visa rather than a fiancee visa because we wanted longer to plan the wedding. But the visitor visa was denied. I hope that doesnt mean that we are going to be in security checks for another 2 months.

Does anyone have a similar situation? How long did it take for your petition to be cleared?

I have a sorta similar situation, but we are still waiting. My fiance was denied entry on a visitor's visa and I suspect her CBP record has (or will) force us to security checks.

My fiance tried to enter to spend 5-6 months with me (ok with her B2 visa), but the POE denied her entry (they were real jerks about it). Since she was far from home, we actually had a lawyer put together her case and she tried to enter again, and was denied. I have a sinking feeling that this info in her CBP records is why our petition hasn't been approved when most others from our time have been.

Also, Steve1027, how do you know you are in checks? I didn't think you can inquiry until 6 months has passed. I thought about calling USCIS or a congressman, but figured I would not get anything until 6 months passed.

Besd of luck to us all.

Edited by Ed+Cindy

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Being allowed to withdraw your petition to enter the Country wont usually have an effect on your visa. It's happened to lots of us. ;)

The link above explains it well. There are checks at each stage and you can be held up for any length of time at any point.

moving from k-1 progress reports to general discussion

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for looking.

As usual you have been told something designed to prevent a second phone call. Calling the USCIS and NVC is such an excerise in futility.

Download packet 3 from your consulate, get to work on your interview documents. Calling is like teaching a pig to sing, it frustrates you and annoys the pig.

Background checks at this stage are done on the petitioner and can be completed in less than 30 seconds unless there is some mix up in names, etc and then it can take 24 hours or less.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Being allowed to withdraw your petition to enter the Country wont usually have an effect on your visa. It's happened to lots of us. ;)

I don't expect my fiance's entry withdrawal to prevent her visa approval, but because it was actually 3 different attempts (each one denied), I suspect that could cause more scrutiny. Long story why she tried three times but basically two were within the same day - we had to get more docs and the first POE was closed. The third attempt was after even more supporting docs were gathered, but the officer refused to take responsibility and overturn the previous 214b, even though she meet all the entry criteria.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

hmm.

Do you think, because my fiance works for the Bashkortostan government in russia, that it could be holding up our security check? Don't see how or why, but maybe because our file was hit with a red flag because she works in the government?? I don't know. haha

I-129F mailed to VSC - 08/27/08

I-129F recieved at VSC - 08/28/08

Check Cleared - 09/02/08 (Case number on back of check, never mailed me NOA1)

Touched - 09/03/08

Touched - 09/23/08

Touched - 09/24/08 (I think it relates to my change of address request)

Approval notice - 02/26/09 (updated timeline)

Approval Hardcopy - 03/05/09

Left NVC - 03/05/2009

Interview - 05/19/2009

Entered USA- 08/03/2009

P.O.E. - Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/freethinkers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.