flax

Lady getting married, will travel. Helps!

39 posts in this topic

Of course you can go and get married in the US. People do it all the time. That's why Vegas is so successful. It is not only for people like me, who elope there on a whim!!! Chinese people marry American people there. Americans marry Canadians. Canadians marry Canadians. Brits marry Aussies. If that was visa fraud they would have shut Vegas down a long time ago.

"The only exceptions to the general visa waiver policy are for those individuals entering the U.S. as treaty traders or investors, as the fiance of a U.S. citizen or as immigrants."

This part is meant for fiances who are entering on K-1, planning on immigrating. Not just your run-of-the-mill fiance. You are entering as a visitor, not as a "fiance." What you do down there is your own business, and the business of the officer at the POE who will decide whether or not to let you in. You are coming back!! Being a fiance is not some kind of legal state! It just means someone said, "hey, wanna get married?" And the other person was like, "Ya, sure." Being a fiance for immigration purposes means you are coming down to the US to get married and then stay there. SO you need a visa for that. Obviously.

It's not that complicated....

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

/snip

A passport is not required to enter the U.S. except after a visit outside the Western Hemisphere.

/snip

Dont count on not requiring a passport, There is a new law that requires ANYONE entering the US to have a passport or a passport card. It was suposed to go into full effect in 2008 but i think they delayed it for canadians untill some time in 2009.

As for K1/K3 my ex wife was canadian, We lived together for 4 years before we go married, and she crossed the border every several months to go back and forth, Didnt have any problems at all. just hat to go to toronto to pick up the K1 Visa and got it stamped at the border. Untill she got the AOS she did NOT go back to canada once we were married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
/snip

A passport is not required to enter the U.S. except after a visit outside the Western Hemisphere.

/snip

Dont count on not requiring a passport, There is a new law that requires ANYONE entering the US to have a passport or a passport card. It was suposed to go into full effect in 2008 but i think they delayed it for canadians untill some time in 2009.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will require everyone who crosses into the US via any land crossing (in addition to water and air crossings that already require passports) to present a passport upon request for admission. This requirement is for everyone - not just Canadians who have been able to enter up until now with proof of citizenship - but also includes Americans who might have crossed into canada for a day's site-seeing or visit. Effective June 2009 US citizens will also require passports along with all foreigners to re-enter their own country. They can still enter Canada, however, with just their proof of citizenship.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
/snip

/snip

As for K1/K3 my ex wife was canadian, We lived together for 4 years before we go married, and she crossed the border every several months to go back and forth, Didnt have any problems at all. just hat to go to toronto to pick up the K1 Visa and got it stamped at the border. Untill she got the AOS she did NOT go back to canada once we were married.

For sure. I think the final one was suppose to take effect this month, but as I go by plane it has been required for me for the last 2 years or so. Parts of it definately need updated. Though technically we aren't required to have a passport for land travel if we have a nexus card, but thats a whole nother can of beans :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Timeline
/snip

/snip

For sure. I think the final one was suppose to take effect this month, but as I go by plane it has been required for me for the last 2 years or so. Parts of it definately need updated. Though technically we aren't required to have a passport for land travel if we have a nexus card, but thats a whole nother can of beans :D

You actually don't need a nexus card if you don't have a passport. Just two pieces of government-issued ID, one with a photo. (e.g. driver's license & citizenship/birth certificate) But it sounds like you're referring to another issue you've had the "pleasure" of experiencing. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Hehe. With me its always been a bit odd going across the boarder without a passport or something, just because I'm a military brat. I'm following in my mom's footsteps a bit here. My dad was stationed in Germany when he met my mom (german citizen). We actually figure out when she started digging out all my paperwork (birth certs etc) that she started her process to come to Canada at the same age that I am now, which I thought was funny and cute. Because dad was still stationed over there, they got married in Canada and then had me in Germany, so my birth cert is from the city of Herbolzheim. It is in like 6 languages, but the border guards always looked at me funny when I tried to cross with it, even with my photo ID and my citizenship card, so I'm just use to having something "higher" now lol.

I did think they were implimenting the hard rule for passport/nexus cards to cross this year though, so I had thought that would be the end of gov. issued ID/Birth cert entries... *shrug*

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Timeline
Hehe. With me its always been a bit odd going across the boarder without a passport or something, just because I'm a military brat. I'm following in my mom's footsteps a bit here. My dad was stationed in Germany when he met my mom (german citizen). We actually figure out when she started digging out all my paperwork (birth certs etc) that she started her process to come to Canada at the same age that I am now, which I thought was funny and cute. Because dad was still stationed over there, they got married in Canada and then had me in Germany, so my birth cert is from the city of Herbolzheim. It is in like 6 languages, but the border guards always looked at me funny when I tried to cross with it, even with my photo ID and my citizenship card, so I'm just use to having something "higher" now lol.

I did think they were implimenting the hard rule for passport/nexus cards to cross this year though, so I had thought that would be the end of gov. issued ID/Birth cert entries... *shrug*

Nothing's ever simple, is it? :lol:

Yes, like Kathryn says, the passports at land crossings will be mandatory this coming June.

iagree.gif

Timeline
You know, if everyone just stayed on their own side of the border it would be much simpler :thumbs:

Lol but then there wouldnt be the awesome VJ, and we wouldnt get to experiance the amazing powers of trailmix and KritKit :dance:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.