KnightAndMagpie

What was the transition like?

181 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
You've been here how long now, Damien?

I'm not there yet, Rebecca, but remember I lived there for two years between 2004-2006.

I kind of think the opposite with at-will employment. You can pretty much be let go in the US if somebody doesn't like you. Office politics play way-to-big a role in working in the US.

That's life, kiddo. It's up to you to make sure you fully understand how a corporate structure works, and make sure you don't piss off the wrong people.

No Damien I didn't know you lived here before. And I didn't realize you were still over there.

And 'pissing off' people shouldn't matter if you are doing your job properly. Happens all the time over here that perfectly capable people are sacked, despite what you may think.

That's not the only bit about US employment that is different from UK anyway. Over here if your company goes belly-up or there is a reorganization, it's usually only the 'higher ups' who get some sort of severance package. Unemployment benefits in the US? Six months (unless the Fed steps in and extends it for - maybe 13 weeks). No assistance with your rental or mortgage payments if you are out of work (even through no fault of your own) and don't forget you lose your health insurance. So don't get sick if you don't have a job.

All I'm saying is this - working in the US is not just about doing your job. It's about sucking it up to the man. It makes for a nervous work force that doesn't feel like they can even complain about legitimate concerns to management. And it's getting worse and worse as our economy turns further 'south'.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
No Damien I didn't know you lived here before. And I didn't realize you were still over there.

And 'pissing off' people shouldn't matter if you are doing your job properly. Happens all the time over here that perfectly capable people are sacked, despite what you may think.

I hear you - it happens here too. Despite the phenomenal protection our employment laws give workers, they only really kick in after a year. Which is why I asked my wonderful (and she is the sh!t) GM to do what she needed to do to help me fire a particularly troublesome employee recently. See, when I interviewed him, I noticed that he'd only had two jobs in he last 15 years (that's good - troublemakers usually have a plethora of ex employers) and that, coupled with his smart appearence and friendly disposition, led me to offer him a job. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it transpired that he was 39-year-old virgin that still lived with his mum, had been bullied at school (by his own admission) and had clearly never gotten over it.

At first, his co-workers (once they realised that something was not quite right) put a collective arm around him, and actually felt quite protective of him. Unfortunately, his chronic inadequacies then began to manifest themselves to such an extent that whenever one of the other lads so much as raised their voice to him, he'd be running to me saying he was being bullied. Remember, this guy is 39-years-old!!

After a while, this was happening on almost a daily basis, and quite frankly, I couldn't be doing with it any more. His presence was disrupting the daily routine of all my other team members, and I wasn't having it. So I told the senior mangement about by predicament, how he was pissing in the team gene pool, and we got rid of him on the kind of minor misdemeanour that I would have turned a blind eye to if it had been anyone else. Again, I stress that I was only able to do this because he had less than a year's service, otherwise it would have been nigh on impossible, and I would have had a miserable team to manage.

He did his job properly, Rebecca (always on time, smartly presented, etc) but he pissed everyone else off, so he had to go. Like I said, that's life.

All I'm saying is this - working in the US is not just about doing your job. It's about sucking it up to the man. It makes for a nervous work force that doesn't feel like they can even complain about legitimate concerns to management. And it's getting worse and worse as our economy turns further 'south'.

Well then the answer is obvious: become management. ;)

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I just want to toss in here, my fiance is Irish and he's just spent 3 months with me. (He'll be back for good in 3 months, yay!) The things we talked about most often were -

1. He LOVES milkshakes. Can't get them there hand-spun like here. And Chick fil A too. We'd go there every Saturday for lunch, and a milkshake :P

2. He always commented, whether we were in the south or north (I'm from Tennessee but live in Ohio) that people were always SO MUCH friendlier and happier to chat.

3. When we would go to a new restaurant, especially fast food type places, he almost always begs me to order for him. He's still really insecure about that sort of thing.

4. He did at first complain about the chocolate and bacon and the color of the eggs and taste of the milk. But he's learned to find things he does like that he can't get at home too, so it's an even trade. Like Reese's peanutbutter cups. He's not the first Irish person to discover Reese's! He deals with the missing foods but LOVES the new stuff he's found. And he likes that you can find a lot of things in a central location, like Target. He loves Target. Always heads straight to the electronics section every time :P

5. He also really likes the added comforts and conveniences (this is more of an Irish thing I suspect). Here you don't have to turn on the hot water to shower or boil the kettle to shave in most homes/apts, it's on all the time. And the homes are usually kept warm enough, you don't freeze half the time. Of course it's not always this way, but it is a lot of the time. He said when he left to go back home after his visit that he'd really miss it and he didn't want to go back home to the rain and cold and unfriendliness.

And Re: the duvet - we sleep with a sheet between us and the comforter, so really you shouldn't have to wash it much, but if you do end up washing it you can just take it to the dry cleaners. Or get a duvet cover for your comforter - Target sells them, of course :D

K-1

9-5-08 Sent I-129F via FedEx

9-13-08 NOA1

12-24-08 NOA2

6-11-09 Civil Ceremony

AOS

7-7-09 Mailed AOS

7-27-09 TRANSFERRED TO CSC

8-29-09 EAD card production ordered/AP Notice Approved

11-9-09 Green Card production ordered

11-19-09 Green Card arrived!

Nov. 2010 Vacation Ireland!

11-9-11 Removal of Conditions

Hmmm....

First let me say I didn't come into this thread to scare all the UK'ers coming over into thinking that working in the US is going to be a nightmare. The OP asked about transitioning, and this is one of the areas that Wes and I have had a LOT of discussions about. Soooooo...... that's the only reason I raised it.

In regards to the 39 year old at your work, Damien, I see what you are saying. I think a person doing that would be let go over here also. But when I was talking about 'pissing someone off' I meant someone with more authority than the worker.

As far as Wes and I talking about the differences in US/UK employment, I'm going to try and explain something. I hope I don't do it poorly or offend anyone.

It's my opinion that because of the social safety nets in the UK, a British citizen doesn't at first comprehend how much of life in the US comes down to our jobs. That might be why we USC's don't have a sense of humor about our work and it might be why we have such a hard time 'disconnecting' from work when we get home at the end of the day. We KNOW that if we lose our job it can be a family disaster, and that all we have lived and worked for can be lost in a matter of months.

In the UK, that can't happen.

Edited by rebeccajo

I just want to toss in here, my fiance is Irish and he's just spent 3 months with me. (He'll be back for good in 3 months, yay!) The things we talked about most often were -

1. He LOVES milkshakes. Can't get them there hand-spun like here. And Chick fil A too. We'd go there every Saturday for lunch, and a milkshake :P

2. He always commented, whether we were in the south or north (I'm from Tennessee but live in Ohio) that people were always SO MUCH friendlier and happier to chat.

3. When we would go to a new restaurant, especially fast food type places, he almost always begs me to order for him. He's still really insecure about that sort of thing.

4. He did at first complain about the chocolate and bacon and the color of the eggs and taste of the milk. But he's learned to find things he does like that he can't get at home too, so it's an even trade. Like Reese's peanutbutter cups. He's not the first Irish person to discover Reese's! He deals with the missing foods but LOVES the new stuff he's found. And he likes that you can find a lot of things in a central location, like Target. He loves Target. Always heads straight to the electronics section every time :P

5. He also really likes the added comforts and conveniences (this is more of an Irish thing I suspect). Here you don't have to turn on the hot water to shower or boil the kettle to shave in most homes/apts, it's on all the time. And the homes are usually kept warm enough, you don't freeze half the time. Of course it's not always this way, but it is a lot of the time. He said when he left to go back home after his visit that he'd really miss it and he didn't want to go back home to the rain and cold and unfriendliness.

And Re: the duvet - we sleep with a sheet between us and the comforter, so really you shouldn't have to wash it much, but if you do end up washing it you can just take it to the dry cleaners. Or get a duvet cover for your comforter - Target sells them, of course :D

My Northern Irish husband is also very happy to be away from the rain and the cold. But at least where he is from (Londonderry) most people are extremely friendly........where is your man from?

Timeline
Hmmm....

First let me say I didn't come into this thread to scare all the UK'ers coming over into thinking that working in the US is going to be a nightmare. The OP asked about transitioning, and this is one of the areas that Wes and I have had a LOT of discussions about. Soooooo...... that's the only reason I raised it.

In regards to the 39 year old at your work, Damien, I see what you are saying. I think a person doing that would be let go over here also. But when I was talking about 'pissing someone off' I meant someone with more authority than the worker.

As far as Wes and I talking about the differences in US/UK employment, I'm going to try and explain something. I hope I don't do it poorly or offend anyone.

It's my opinion that because of the social safety nets in the UK, a British citizen doesn't at first comprehend how much of life in the US comes down to our jobs. That might be why we USC's don't have a sense of humor about our work and it might be why we have such a hard time 'disconnecting' from work when we get home at the end of the day. We KNOW that if we lose our job it can be a family disaster, and that all we have lived and worked for can be lost in a matter of months.

In the UK, that can't happen.

All the more reason to toe the line. Oh, and my name is spelt with an 'a' not an 'e'. ;)

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline
All the more reason to toe the line. Oh, and my name is spelt with an 'a' not an 'e'. ;)

Sowwy about that.

PS - I've been 'towing the line' over here for 30 years.

I always thought that the expression was "tow/towing the line" but it's actually "toe/toeing" the line.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I haven't made the move yet but I have spent many months there.

The UK seems to have a big safety cushion that the US doesn't.

Work ethic is the main one, I think. In the UK, people *generally* don't care about their jobs (though this depends on where you are).. it's something that brings the money in of course and it's still important to enjoy your job, but it's not the end of the world if you lose your position, and you can always fall back on the vacation time and/or other jobs nearby if you've had enough. In the US, it seems that everyone puts 100% into their jobs, even when it comes to their attitudes and presentation. They work damn hard in comparison for little benefit, and I think that's the biggest culture shock I'll experience.

It's the same with colleges; in the UK, there are so many restrictions on when you can start paying back your loan, though in the US, you must get a job and pay it back, or they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks. That's the impression I've gotten, and I've heard the same thing from people too. You also MUST get a job while in college to get by, but in the UK, it's easier to go through three years of university without having a job.

I find it MUCH more friendly over there. If you started chatting to someone in the UK, they would think you're a complete #### I reckon, but in the US, it seems normal for people to ask how you are, etc. BUT I also find that a little uncomfortable in some situations where the other person is selling something. It's one thing being polite because you want to be polite to someone, and I love when that happens, but it makes me feel *off* when waitresses are nice in an obvious-fake way because they want to get a decent tip.

I too sometimes feel uncomfortable speaking because people turn to look at me, but Bill tells me that they're just surprised and actually like the English accent. I also get a bit tired of having to repeat things; not because they can't understand me with an accent (everyone has said that it's clear and pretty much a generic English accent) but because they spend the first time concentrating on the fact that I have an accent, if that makes sense, so lose concentration.

The driving thing, obviously. I'm used to taking the bus and train everywhere, so I'm learning to drive straight away because I have to.

Timeline
In the US, it seems that everyone puts 100% into their jobs, even when it comes to their attitudes and presentation.

Is that not what they should be doing? As a matter of course?

It's the same with colleges; in the UK, there are so many restrictions on when you can start paying back your loan, though in the US, you must get a job and pay it back, or they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Again, what is the problem here? You borrow money, you pay it back - simple as that. If everyone adhered to that rule, the world's economy wouldn't be in the steaming pile of doings it is now.

Not having a pop at you, Gemmie, just saying is all.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Oh I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. It's just a difference that I've noticed, there's this huge safety net in the UK that serves as a "just in case" for everything. If you can't pay back your loan, there's X. If you lose your job, there's Y. The government hands out benefits left and right and people don't seem to be 100% "involved" in their job over here, but it feels like Americans make their job more personal.

It quite surprised me as when I was just starting out in psychology, my first experiment was about stress management differences between the US and UK; even though there were more life changes in the US, they were much less stressed than the Brits. Having now seen a lot more of the US, I would have guessed that it would be the other way round - more life changes in the UK (more people changing jobs) and more stress in the US (related to work).

Again, what is the problem here? You borrow money, you pay it back - simple as that. If everyone adhered to that rule, the world's economy wouldn't be in the steaming pile of doings it is now.

You're going to make a good Republican Daymo.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Wooo! Okay, I didn't expect so many responses between the last time I checked and now =D.

Two things. First, I've got slightly Turkish features and a whole combination of other things, so people generally can't place me. Secondly, I have the most souped-up accent in the universe, and it's more inclined to sound British but some of the things I say sound American (I think I find a lot of international school students wind up like this). A lot of brits think I sound like a yank and vice versa.

With the whole politeness thing, I'm pretty comfortable with talking to random people (which leads them to think I'm a lunatic). To be totally honest, I do throw a lot of "pleases" and "thank-yous" around because...well, I suppose it's ingrained into me. Receptionists or checkout peeps are quite taken aback when I ask them how they are and actually look them in the eye when I'm addressing them. An Irish lady once told me that they do that all the time in Ireland, and they're a lot friendlier there than they are here...and Knight keeps insisting that in terms of that, I should be okay. I'm kinda hoping my accent will become even more British when I get there because I really don't want to lose it =D.

The degree I'm also getting is management (or business) with marketing, and I'm aiming to get a 2:1 or above. It sounds like the management and working style is totally different over there, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Because Knight still has another year of studying to go after me, I'll likely be working first...your advice here on that has been fantastic.

I was working at Ferrari as an intern last summer (=D) and I learned very quickly that people get quite put off if you're mega polite. I guess they thought I was sucking up to them, but I really wasn't...I wonder how that might affect me once I go to the US. There were nice and grumpy people alike there, and I guess it didn't help that most of the marketing department were laid off shortly after I left. I suppose I didn't give them a reason to be cheerful, as I was this bouncy student willing to tackle anything but I had security in the sense that I was only there for the summer.

Oh, and Alaska's drinking water is meant to be on par with Switzerland (or something), which isn't surprising because... it's...Alaska, and full of mountains =P.

I'm getting my student loan late (long story) but as I have the full grant too, I'm only spending it on my accommodation fees. I intend on paying every penny back because I'm not comfortable with a loan floating around. I know someone who's £10,000 into debt and she's only in her third year.

=D Thanks again, you wonderful people.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

I'm getting my student loan late (long story) but as I have the full grant too, I'm only spending it on my accommodation fees. I intend on paying every penny back because I'm not comfortable with a loan floating around. I know someone who's £10,000 into debt and she's only in her third year.

=D Thanks again, you wonderful people.

Magpie.

10,000 quid in student loan debt is a lot?

Most of the people I know in the US who have come out of university have a MINIMUM of $30,000.

I know two parties with over $100,000.00.

Edited by rebeccajo

Work ethic is the main one, I think. In the UK, people *generally* don't care about their jobs (though this depends on where you are).. it's something that brings the money in of course and it's still important to enjoy your job, but it's not the end of the world if you lose your position, and you can always fall back on the vacation time and/or other jobs nearby if you've had enough. In the US, it seems that everyone puts 100% into their jobs, even when it comes to their attitudes and presentation. They work damn hard in comparison for little benefit, and I think that's the biggest culture shock I'll experience.

This is what my husband has found.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.