KnightAndMagpie

What was the transition like?

181 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
And whatever you do BRING YOUR DUVET WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what is with this "comforter" sh!t! :lol: I know they have some retarded words for stuff, but that's right up there with the most ghey.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And whatever you do BRING YOUR DUVET WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what is with this "comforter" sh!t! :lol: I know they have some retarded words for stuff, but that's right up there with the most ghey.

I'm taking a king size duvet and duvet cover with me. I know american sizes will be different but everytime I need a new cover I'll just order one online. Tom had a comforter and it was a ####### to wash, due to the UK sized washing machines. I ended up washing it in the bath.

I think to adjust, you've got to embrace the place where you are (as well as your spouse.) You will have to find things you like and focus on good things instead of carrying around a scorecard of what you can't find. It will feel awkward at first. It's like when I try to make mince pies or Yorkshire puddings and haven't a clue what they are supposed to look like or taste like. It makes you feel a little insecure.

Play up your Britishness. Americans love the accent, so be British. It will get you all kinds of good attention and popularity. Use it. Like when Nick went to return something in Walmart and didn't get the person at the door to mark it with a little tag. He just said "I'm British and new here and didn't know the rules." She melted and said, "no problem, honey." Same thing happened when he was stopped by a policemen..."no problem, I'll just write you a warning." I know it works in the South...not so sure about those Yankees up north. hahahaha

The things Nick likes here in Texas are:

--Friendly people

--Customer service, where most want to be helpful and they always thank you for your purchase instead of just glare at you.

--Willingness to share. A guy came to replace our chimney cap yesterday. (We're still working on hurricane damage.) The two story roof is really high and we don't have a 30 ft ladder. There's some trim that needs repainting that the roofers repaired. The chimney guy noticed it and said you can borrow my ladder if you need it to do that painting. Just call me on a weekend and I bring it over and leave it with you. Nick is impressed with scenarios like that.

--Nicer weather

--Mexican food

He says British people don't normally strike up a conversation with strangers and he's learning to do that more and finding good response. So don't be afraid to ask the stranger lady in the grocery store to give you some advice on products you aren't familiar with. She won't stare at you, but probably come home and cook for you. :rofl: Well okay I exaggerate. He's showing alot more comfort in asking guys at Lowe's about US electical codes and products so he can add outlets in the garage for example. Three months ago, he would have just been silent and frustrated by the unknown.

He says his biggest problem is feeling like a fish out of water. There's things that come up that he doesn't know the procedure for that if he were in England, he would. So it gives him an uneasiness until he figures it out. He likes it here and doesn't want to go back, but still has those fish out of water moments.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I think to adjust, you've got to embrace the place where you are (as well as your spouse.) You will have to find things you like and focus on good things instead of carrying around a scorecard of what you can't find. It will feel awkward at first. It's like when I try to make mince pies or Yorkshire puddings and haven't a clue what they are supposed to look like or taste like. It makes you feel a little insecure.

Play up your Britishness. Americans love the accent, so be British. It will get you all kinds of good attention and popularity. Use it. Like when Nick went to return something in Walmart and didn't get the person at the door to mark it with a little tag. He just said "I'm British and new here and didn't know the rules." She melted and said, "no problem, honey." Same thing happened when he was stopped by a policemen..."no problem, I'll just write you a warning." I know it works in the South...not so sure about those Yankees up north. hahahaha

--Friendly people

--Customer service, where most want to be helpful and they always thank you for your purchase instead of just glare at you.

--Willingness to share. A guy came to replace our chimney cap yesterday. (We're still working on hurricane damage.) The two story roof is really high and we don't have a 30 ft ladder. There's some trim that needs repainting that the roofers repaired. The chimney guy noticed it and said you can borrow my ladder if you need it to do that painting. Just call me on a weekend and I bring it over and leave it with you. Nick is impressed with scenarios like that.

--Nicer weather

--Mexican food

He says British people don't normally strike up a conversation with strangers and he's learning to do that more and finding good response. So don't be afraid to ask the stranger lady in the grocery store to give you some advice on products you aren't familiar with. She won't stare at you, but probably come home and cook for you. :rofl: Well okay I exaggerate. He's showing alot more comfort in asking guys at Lowe's about US electical codes and products so he can add outlets in the garage for example. Three months ago, he would have just been silent and frustrated by the unknown.

He says his biggest problem is feeling like a fish out of water. There's things that come up that he doesn't know the procedure for that if he were in England, he would. So it gives him an uneasiness until he figures it out. He likes it here and doesn't want to go back, but still has those fish out of water moments.

Agree Totally but don't forget to mention on your job resume your British it will open doors for you.

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

Nich you are so right as always, what would we do without you

I love the Texans and they make such a fuss over my accent and are always so warm and friendly

It is so refreshing to be able to chat to a stranger just knowing that they are being friendly instead of in London where you think what the hell do they want and glare at them, with the attitude of do I know you.......

I cant wait to move and will treasure the things I gain and try not to miss the things that I can no longer have, but I will always moan about the bread and chocolate ha ha

Agree Totally but don't forget to mention on your job resume your British it will open doors for you.

Yes, Nick even told somebody yesterday to mention his name if they know of anybody hiring that wants to "posh up the place a bit" by hiring him. That made me laugh. He's definitely embracing his new found popularity.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hey stay off the peanut butter, totally random but the fiance just told me about this. This is crazy where he lives in Texas they have had tomatoes and lettuce taken off sale before and I would never drink the water as it smells funny.

Kellogg Peanut Butter Crackers Sales Stopped Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination

Nationwide Infection Claiming Five Lives to Date

Kellogg Peanut Butter Crackers are possibly a health risk and as a result the company has stopped sales until their product can be checked out. According to Steven Reinberg in his WashingtonPost.com article "Kellogg Halts Sales of Peanut Butter Crackers," Kellogg Peanut Butter Crackers thaKellogg Peanut Butter Crackers Sales Stopped Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination

Date: January 15, 2009

Battle Creek, MI

United States of Americat put people at risk are actually those that contain the peanut butter paste manufactured in a Peanut Corp. of America Georgia Plant and that has to be investigated. Their actions were taken as a result of the announced recall of Peanut Corp's peanut butter paste.

As the article goes on to report, so far five people have died; one person has died in Idaho, two in Minnesota as well as two more in Virginia.

The cause of death has not been verified but all five people had a salmonella infection at the time of death.

The types of crackers involved are Keebler and Austin brands Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Crackers, Toasted Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, Cheese and Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers and Peanut Butter-Chocolate Sandwich Crackers.

Kellogg's strategy has been to be cautious by asking stores to stop selling their product and consumers to hold off eating the products.

This follows a nationwide salmonella outbreak caused by an open five-pound tub of King Nut Creamy Butter. As a result 434 people in 43 states were made ill. This generated a recall of King Nut Peanut Butter as well as Parnell's Pride Peanut Butter. Their peanut butter showed the correct genetic marker for the infection.

Salmonella infections occur as a result of eating raw eggs. This creates bacterium that usually makes a person ill for four to seven days with fever and abdominal cramping. However occasionally, especially with the very old and the very young, the infection can get in the bloodstream and cause death.

Many years ago I volunteered to help at a soup kitchen where I would be doing a little cooking. I had to go through a four-day class that taught about such things as salmonella and how not even getting a tabletop clean enough from egg yolks can cause an infection.

It is amazing that there aren't more salmonella outbreaks.

Timeline
Same thing happened when he was stopped by a policemen..."no problem, I'll just write you a warning." I know it works in the South...not so sure about those Yankees up north. hahahaha

It works exactly the same in Southern Illinois. I've been pulled twice (both for doing 70+ in a 55 - I do wish Illinois would adopt a Texas style 70mph limit on it's highways) and on both times, as soon as I've opened my mouth, I've been sent on my way with a smile. :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline
It is so refreshing to be able to chat to a stranger just knowing that they are being friendly instead of in London where you think what the hell do they want and glare at them, with the attitude of do I know you.......

:lol:

Spot on! If some ###### I don't know from a bar of soap starts talking to me, I think "#### off you weirdo" as a matter of course!!!

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Other Timeline

--Friendly people

--Nicer weather

--Mexican food

Until I saw this post, I thought you all were just gonna talk about food! *over my four years here I've read COUNTLESS threads of Brits kvetching about missing their favorites in the US*

Once you get past missing bacon, 'decent' bread and cheese, and curry, I think you'll face more of the real issues like Nich speaks of. Both our cultures share a common language (sort of) but beyond that there are loads of little differences.

Wes has missed the good public transport. He is still in shock over our healthcare system. It took him a while to understand employment here also. No contracts here - no tribunals. Just 'at-will' employment.

He still goes to the 'wrong' side of the car sometimes - and it's been 3.5 years!

He does like the better weather. He likes the people here. And he does use the accent - why not?

Timeline
It took him a while to understand employment here also. No contracts here - no tribunals. Just 'at-will' employment.

Quite right too. I think this is a BRILLIANT system. If you turn up for work on time and do what you're paid to do, then you have nothing to fear. Here, lazy, idle, pig sh!t thick retards are protected by a raft of poxy employment laws. HR departments throughout the land have to tread on eggshells to get rid of undesirables. I'm all for "employment at will" because the tail should never be allowed to wag the dog.

He still goes to the 'wrong' side of the car sometimes - and it's been 3.5 years!

I do that sh!t all the time :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Other Timeline
It took him a while to understand employment here also. No contracts here - no tribunals. Just 'at-will' employment.

Quite right too. I think this is a BRILLIANT system. If you turn up for work on time and do what you're paid to do, then you have nothing to fear. Here, lazy, idle, pig sh!t thick retards are protected by a raft of poxy employment laws. HR departments throughout the land have to tread on eggshells to get rid of undesirables. I'm all for "employment at will" because the tail should never be allowed to wag the dog.

You've been here how long now, Damien?

I kind of think the opposite with at-will employment. You can pretty much be let go in the US if somebody doesn't like you. Office politics play way-to-big a role in working in the US.

Timeline
You've been here how long now, Damien?

I'm not there yet, Rebecca, but remember I lived there for two years between 2004-2006.

I kind of think the opposite with at-will employment. You can pretty much be let go in the US if somebody doesn't like you. Office politics play way-to-big a role in working in the US.

That's life, kiddo. It's up to you to make sure you fully understand how a corporate structure works, and make sure you don't piss off the wrong people.

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I do the same too.

When I first came here I had a 9 month vacation as I came here on the K1 visa and sorting out AOS and EAD. I think it finally sunk in when I started work. The vacation was over and welcome to the weekend. I spent most of the summer fishing and getting a sun tan.

Get used to driving a car everywhere and I mean everywhere. My sister in law lives a 5 min walk away and if I walk up there they say to me you should of called we would of picked you up. Walking seems to be a big deal here. Be used to no public transport and no proper high street or no corner shop. I still miss walking to my local co op.

I still get the I love your accent bit and I still get shy. I find it hard to speak to people in shops and people who say hello to you and hi how are you doing.

Having no vacation time like the UK is a big shock to me.

The meat section in Walmart and Kroger is not what we are used too. Different cuts of meat on beef. Walmart does sell Lamb chops and Kroger has legs of lamb.

I don't think the banking system is too bad. I bank with a locally owned bank and they are great. I don't get the sell sell like you do in England. People still use checks. You can't pay your credit card off with a debit card and some companies charge convience fees for paying bills certain ways.

Fish here in Kentucky sucks the fresh sea fish is not as fresh here as it is in England. I guess Alaska will be better.

One thing I have noticed about Kroger is the freshness of the instore bakery of the bread cakes and deli items. They seem to think that stuff baked yesterday is fresh and when I question it they think I am on amother planet.

No 35 hour week here 40 hours is full time and no equality here between full time workers and part time workers.

Its easier to get a driving licence here then England and its quicker and cheaper no DVLA or messing about.

The people here are friendly the scenery is better here in KY the summers are great. I am in a better off here in many ways then being in England here is home to me now.

The Americans are just like us they eat, sleep work etc just everythings done in a different way to us.

My advice is just treat it like a long vacation at first settle in and go with the flo.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.