w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Obama administration to proceed with offshore drilling

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Obama, June 20 2008:

When I'm president, I intend to keep in place the moratorium here in Florida and around the country that prevents oil companies from drilling off Florida's coasts. That's how we can protect our coastline and still make the investments that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and bring down gas prices for good.

no way! he's backed off on another pledge? zomg!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Obama, June 20 2008:

When I'm president, I intend to keep in place the moratorium here in Florida and around the country that prevents oil companies from drilling off Florida's coasts. That's how we can protect our coastline and still make the investments that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and bring down gas prices for good.

Actually no - there is no scheduled exploration off Florida's coasts....but according to the previous Adminstration's Interior Dept., they weren't planning to either.

Timeline
Obama, June 20 2008:

Actually no - there is no scheduled exploration off Florida's coasts....but according to the previous Adminstration's Interior Dept., they weren't planning to either.

nice wiggle there, steven, even if obama says there was. maybe you can explain away these too, from the article aj linked:

But what wouldn't do a thing to lower gas prices is John McCain's new proposal, a proposal adopted by George Bush as well, to open up Florida's coastline to offshore drilling. In what's become a bit of a regular occurrence in this campaign, Senator McCain once had a different position on offshore drilling. And it's clear why he did. It would have long-term consequence for our coastlines, but no short-term benefits since it would take at least 10 years to get any oil.

Offshore drilling would not lower gas prices today. It would not lower gas prices tomorrow. It would not lower gas prices this year. It would not lower gas prices five years from now.

So let me just repeat, John McCain's proposal, George Bush's proposal to drill offshore here in Florida and other places around the country would not provide families with any relief this year, next year, five years from now. Believe me, if I thought there was any evidence at all that drilling could save people money who are struggling to fill up their gas tanks by this summer or this year or even the next few years, I would consider it, but it won't. And John McCain knows that.

The fact is, Senator McCain's decision to team up with George Bush on offshore drilling violates the bipartisan consensus that we've had for decades that has protected Florida's pristine coastline from drilling. And just like Senator McCain's gas tax holiday gimmick, this is a proposal that would only worsen our addiction to oil and put off needed investments in clean renewable energy.

It's not the kind of change that the American people are looking for. They're looking for leadership that moves this country forward and actually offers real solutions to the serious challenges that we face.

And when I'm president, I intend to keep in place the moratorium here in Florida and around the country that prevents oil companies from drilling off Florida's coasts. That's how we can protect our coastline and still make the investments that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and bring down gas prices for good.

:whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

Charles, we're 5 days into an Obama presidency. :jest: It's ludicrous to believe under the current circumstances and crises, that Obama can dedicate any qualified amount of time to all that needs attention, which means he's going to rely heavily on his cabinet. The Secretary of Interior is considered a right of center Democrat and has gone on record as far back as 2006 saying he was in favor of off shore drilling. We'll see how this transpires, but I'm saying that so far, I'm not pleased with his appointee. One thing you can count on with regard to the environment. If Obama's policies are working against the consensus on environmental policy, he'll catch hell from the environmental organizations. I'll wait to see how this unfolds.

Filed: Timeline
It's ludicrous to believe under the current circumstances and crises, that Obama can dedicate any qualified amount of time to all that needs attention, which means he's going to rely heavily on his cabinet. The Secretary of Interior is considered a right of center Democrat...

Obama will be, and should be, held responsible for the actions of his cabinet. Don't get it twisted.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
Charles, we're 5 days into an Obama presidency. :jest: It's ludicrous to believe under the current circumstances and crises, that Obama can dedicate any qualified amount of time to all that needs attention, which means he's going to rely heavily on his cabinet. The Secretary of Interior is considered a right of center Democrat and has gone on record as far back as 2006 saying he was in favor of off shore drilling. We'll see how this transpires, but I'm saying that so far, I'm not pleased with his appointee. One thing you can count on with regard to the environment. If Obama's policies are working against the consensus on environmental policy, he'll catch hell from the environmental organizations. I'll wait to see how this unfolds.

i'm hearing excuses....... :dance:

are you really trying to tell me that he didn't spend time studying things while in the office of the president elect? :jest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
It's ludicrous to believe under the current circumstances and crises, that Obama can dedicate any qualified amount of time to all that needs attention, which means he's going to rely heavily on his cabinet. The Secretary of Interior is considered a right of center Democrat...

Obama will be, and should be, held responsible for the actions of his cabinet. Don't get it twisted.

I agree. But give the man some time for these policies to unfold for the White House Press Secretary to give an official statement. 5 days...5 days.

Timeline

I agree. But give the man some time for these policies to unfold for the White House Press Secretary to give an official statement. 5 days...5 days.

oh we need time for change! :whistle:

eta: i've seen enough change to last me for the entire presidency already.........

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173907

my neighbor wasn't impressed, btw

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Not having doubts, are you?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline
I'd do it again if that's what you're asking.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I'd do it again if that's what you're asking.

So would I. I believe he was the better person to do the job. Something has to be done in so many critical areas, it is mind boggling. But that's the key, something has to be done, we need to try something to solve these messes. Obama is going to put it all on the line to try to turn things around as he well should.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

I am sure Obama will say he will make changes but of course his apologists will be the first to start playing the blame game. Same old. Right now oil is cheap and gas prices have come down. Eventually when prices go up again he will want to avoid being blamed for it as much as possible. Imagine the cry when it happens and the people screaming why he stopped allowing drilling.

Face it the man made so many promises to whatever constituent he was campaigning for at the time. He would have said he was gay if it would have given him enough votes. You sheep bought his bull hook line and sinker. Face it and realize that all that venom that was shown against the party y'all hated yesterday is now going to be thrown at your party. Get used to it. Maybe you won't like it but tough #######.

Timeline

Yeah but in Clintons defense. Why have that power if you can't abuse it. My only gripe was why Monica? Or even some of those other ladies. I seen Clinton once at stop and the ladies were going ape over him. He could have chosen any of them and he picks Monica?

Yeah but in Clintons defense. Why have that power if you can't abuse it. My only gripe was why Monica? Or even some of those other ladies. I seen Clinton once at stop and the ladies were going ape over him. He could have chosen any of them and he picks Monica?

Look at what he married. He doesn't have good taste. :lol:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015