Kez/JWolf

EAD STAMP FOR K1 WHO WANT TO WORK BEFORE AOS

48 posts in this topic

USCIS have changed the requied documentation for Form I-9 from 02/02/09

I have quoted the sections that apply to K1 visa holders who want to work before they file for AOS. This is VERY important for people who plan to enter through JFK and hope to get the temp EAD stamp.

4. Employment Authorizathion Document that contains a photograph (form I-766)

5. In the case of nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer, incident to status, A foreign Passport with form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as lomg as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restriction or limitation identified on the form.

The wording is a major change and means that if you have the temp EAD stamp on your I-94 unless your visa is for working with a specific employer it can no longer be used as a document from List A on the I-9.

You can read the full list of documents that can be used to show work authorization at the bottom of the I-9.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9_IFR_02-02-09.pdf

So according to what says at 5. "In the case of NONIMMIgRANT alien" ...are K1's NONIMMIGRANTS or IMMIGRANTS? Because, if we are IMMIGRANT aliens, then I don't see how this applies to us.

US Citizen since 08/11/2015.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't number 3 "Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa" for us ??

US Citizen since 08/11/2015.

Filed: Timeline
Isn't number 3 "Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa" for us ??

A K1 visa is a non immigrant visa, and a I-551 stamp is a temp Greencard issued to LPR

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My Fiancé is from New York States and I always fly in at JFK, so I was going to come in at JFK whenever K1 is approved but by reading this would it make sense to come in somewhere else???

no, it just eliminates the reason to go to JFK for any other reason than convenience.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Well, I Landed at JFK on 21st and there was no EAD stamp for me. Maybe, I had already spend more than four months back home and less than two months were left for my K1 visa tenure to expire.

I don't believe this nixes the Work Authorization issued at JFK. K-1 Visa entrants are not entering to work for any specific employer, but instead to get married to the sponsoring petitioner.

With the stamp issued at JFK, and a SSN you should be fine to work during the brief period of the Work Authorization as my wife did. We got married and applied for the SSN all in the first 2 weeks of her getting here to the USA.

Her employers [she had two part time jobs] did not even ask her to stop working when the Work Authorization expired since the employer was kept well informed that we had applied to adjust status [AOS,] and for the work authorization [EAD] card as well.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

I don't believe this nixes the Work Authorization issued at JFK. K-1 Visa entrants are not entering to work for any specific employer, but instead to get married to the sponsoring petitioner.

With the stamp issued at JFK, and a SSN you should be fine to work during the brief period of the Work Authorization as my wife did. We got married and applied for the SSN all in the first 2 weeks of her getting here to the USA.

Her employers [she had two part time jobs] did not even ask her to stop working when the Work Authorization expired since the employer was kept well informed that we had applied to adjust status [AOS,] and for the work authorization [EAD] card as well.

Forgot to add, we also applied for and got a Washington State ID card quickly as well. Thus she had picture ID to go along with all of her other documentation such as the Work Authorization stamp.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

but, because they are not entering for the benefit of a specific employer, it has rendered the K-1 visaholder's ability to satisfy the new requirements contained in the revised I-9 impossible to fulfill. From an employer's perspective, it is suppose to be, no I-9, no work.

Don't forget that your experience is two years old and the new I-9 is a recent revision (2009).

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

but, because they are not entering for the benefit of a specific employer, it has rendered the K-1 visaholder's ability to satisfy the new requirements contained in the revised I-9 impossible to fulfill. From an employer's perspective, it is suppose to be, no I-9, no work.

Don't forget that your experience is two years old and the new I-9 is a recent revision (2009).

I think #5 is going to refer to work-authorized visas only, I think it doesn't apply to K-1s, since they are not being admitted to work for a specific employer.

I am scheduled for a conference with our international department early next month, and will ask if this applies to our J and H visa researchers, those are what I deal with most of the time.

AOS

Date Filed: 2008-08-27

NOA Date: 2008-09-02

Bio. Appt.: 2008-09-18

AOS Transfer: 2008-09-22 to CSC; 2008-11-25 to local office

Approval/Denial Date: 2009-02-10 card production ordered

Greencard Received: 2009-02-20

Removal of Conditions

Date mailed: 2010-11-12

NOA Date: 2010-11-15

Approved: 2011-04-28 card production ordered

Received card: 2011-05-04

Timeline

I think #5 is going to refer to work-authorized visas only, I think it doesn't apply to K-1s, since they are not being admitted to work for a specific employer.

I am scheduled for a conference with our international department early next month, and will ask if this applies to our J and H visa researchers, those are what I deal with most of the time.

What will you use as acceptable documentation to fulfill the I-9 requirement? Based on the revised I-9, the K-1 visa holder will not possess all of the needed documents in either Category A or Category B/C

Ok now I am very confused. If my fiancée is entering JFK on a K-1 visa can he get the temporary EAD stamp? :huh:

The question is not "CAN" he but is it even valid anymore?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

All this is totally confusing :wacko:

I don't see the relationship to the temporary stamp JFK gives you to work for 3 mos.

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

What will you use as acceptable documentation to fulfill the I-9 requirement? Based on the revised I-9, the K-1 visa holder will not possess all of the needed documents in either Category A or Category B/C

If the K-1 visa holder goes through JFK, and if they get a stamp, which we all know is not guaranteed (like Leapoffaith's experience), List A, #3 states "Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa".

I don't see where this has changed at all (my bolded part). If the visa holder didn't get a stamp, then they would have to use a different document, which means go through the process of getting an EAD, etc as they decide.

I think people are getting caught up in #5, and I don't think that applies to K-1 visa holders.

Ok now I am very confused. If my fiancée is entering JFK on a K-1 visa can he get the temporary EAD stamp? :huh:

The question is not "CAN" he but is it even valid anymore?

Guess it's up to JFK POE, like it has been. Maybe they will take the rubber stamps away, finally?

(sorry for the messy quoting, I hope I have attributed properly! :wacko: )

AOS

Date Filed: 2008-08-27

NOA Date: 2008-09-02

Bio. Appt.: 2008-09-18

AOS Transfer: 2008-09-22 to CSC; 2008-11-25 to local office

Approval/Denial Date: 2009-02-10 card production ordered

Greencard Received: 2009-02-20

Removal of Conditions

Date mailed: 2010-11-12

NOA Date: 2010-11-15

Approved: 2011-04-28 card production ordered

Received card: 2011-05-04

Timeline
If the K-1 visa holder goes through JFK, and if they get a stamp, which we all know is not guaranteed (like Leapoffaith's experience), List A, #3 states "Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa".

I don't see where this has changed at all (my bolded part). If the visa holder didn't get a stamp, then they would have to use a different document, which means go through the process of getting an EAD, etc as they decide.

sorry to burst your bubble but the I-551 stamp is given only to immigrant visa holders and NOT to "K" visa holders.... The I-551 is temporary GREENCARD stamp and it is not the temporary EAD stamp being referred to.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.