nunyab

Family is telling hubby to shave

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have to say I sure love it when he has his beard :wub:

Aymsgirl I wish I could just say it was just Amsterdam but it happens all the time here in the U.S. too stating i am wearing lose fitting clothes lol... so was the rap wanna be guy in front of me that kept buzzing through the metal detector but i notice he didn't get the extra "random" checks.... oh well such is life ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aymsgirl I wish I could just say it was just Amsterdam but it happens all the time here in the U.S. too stating i am wearing lose fitting clothes lol... so was the rap wanna be guy in front of me that kept buzzing through the metal detector but i notice he didn't get the extra "random" checks.... oh well such is life ;)

oh Rajaa they even do that to my nine year old sister have been doing it since she was small............i guess is a small price to pay for what we have yes?

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline
Amsterdam always drilled the heck out of me coming back from the ME. I swear they made you feel like you did something illegal. I don't even wear hijjab and the man left me standing there to go and chat like top secret to somebody on the phone and also to some other guards both times I was there.

i think amsterdam is just that way. i remember when i was coming off the plane having to put my carry ons on the scanner...i thought to myself wouldnt that be after the fact? i could have blown up the plane on my way into amsterdam if i had wanted to.

as for the beard i dont think it would be a problem as many men grow beards at this time of year.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was told that in also, loose fitting clothes. I thought whatever....

I say have him do what is most comfortable for him. Just let him know that he should be relaxed and confident in himself no matter what they do to him, if anything. While traveling, after somewhere around 50 miles (i THINK - SO DON'T MARK MY DISTANCE EXACTLY) you are excused from praying until you have reached your destination. Then you can do the travelers prayers and all is well with the world.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline
I say have him do what is most comfortable for him. Just let him know that he should be relaxed and confident in himself no matter what they do to him, if anything. While traveling, after somewhere around 50 miles (i THINK - SO DON'T MARK MY DISTANCE EXACTLY) you are excused from praying until you have reached your destination. Then you can do the travelers prayers and all is well with the world.

I think that is what my husband said he was going to do.

My husband has never had the beard thing going on

he always has a little tiny bit of a beard on his chin but nothing long and not really in the front of chin but more

on the bottom.

he shaved before coming on the plane

now he has a job and one requirement he that he remain clean shaven

my husband had no problem with this request as he does not keep his little scruff for religious purposes

i cant believe Reda is coming in one day...does that mean tomorrow he is coming or Thursday??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I had a problem in all places, Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix! Was returning from one of my trips to Egypt on British Air. Had gone thru customs, no prob, then on my way out I was approached by 5 Homeland security personnel, yep count them 5!! At first I thought they would walk right by me, but they formed a semi-circle and started asking me questions. Looked at my passport AGAIN, my boarding passes from Cairo and London, and asked me what was my purpose going to Egypt how long I stayed and who I stayed with.

And then they ask me how much money I was bringing back from Egypt.

I told them I had $30.00 and DID THEY NEED TO SEE IT! What shocked me was when

one of the guys said "are you sure you don't have more"! Well at that point I was kinda

for a better word TICKED OFF and told him, if I had more I would still be in Egypt!

Now comeon people...i'm American as they come, i'm Catholic so no cover, i'm very cordial, nice dressed, ultimate manners (sir and mam) so why did they single me out?

Go figure. It doesn't matter who you are. I've flown all over the world, been thru some of the

toughest customs, but never never had the feeling as I did of having my heart in my throat when I

was questioned by those men in the United States of America. I was really afraid.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Timeline
I had a problem in all places, Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix! Was returning from one of my trips to Egypt on British Air. Had gone thru customs, no prob, then on my way out I was approached by 5 Homeland security personnel, yep count them 5!! At first I thought they would walk right by me, but they formed a semi-circle and started asking me questions. Looked at my passport AGAIN, my boarding passes from Cairo and London, and asked me what was my purpose going to Egypt how long I stayed and who I stayed with.

one of the guys said "are you sure you don't have more"! Well at that point I was kinda

for a better word TICKED OFF and told him, if I had more I would still be in Egypt!

Now comeon people...i'm American as they come, i'm Catholic so no cover, i'm very cordial, nice dressed, ultimate manners (sir and mam) so why did they single me out?

Go figure. It doesn't matter who you are. I've flown all over the world, been thru some of the

toughest customs, but never never had the feeling as I did of having my heart in my throat when I

was questioned by those men in the United States of America. I was really afraid.

I flew into my POE in Detroit when I was 8 months pregnant. The man at the counter asked me why I went to Egypt, for how long, who did I see, who was there when I packed my bags and who was the father of my unborn baby? I thought whatttttttttttttt???? I told him my husband in Egypt he said did you file for his visa? I said yes and he should be coming within a few months. He said lady, be careful, you have no idea what we see happen here pregnant or not. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and said thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I flew into my POE in Detroit when I was 8 months pregnant. The man at the counter asked me why I went to Egypt, for how long, who did I see, who was there when I packed my bags and who was the father of my unborn baby? I thought whatttttttttttttt???? I told him my husband in Egypt he said did you file for his visa? I said yes and he should be coming within a few months. He said lady, be careful, you have no idea what we see happen here pregnant or not. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and said thanks.

you know they also asked me about when i packed my bags where was everyone in the house and if anyone helped me...

5 homeland security?? wow little over kill don't cha think?

I told him the suggestions and of corse he will make the best decision.

For the record he is leaving our time at 11pm insha'allah

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Although I think it is silly that he should have to shave, well my instinct is to tell him to shave. Reason? Well he only has a visa, he is not a US citizen, and he has not in the US as of yet. They can send him back at the port if they choose to do so. Why would they over a beard? Who knows, but why I have seen them do strange things before (ask allousa). You could fight them? Maybe, but unlikely (again ask allousa). But is it worth the risk of having him turned at the POE when you have worked this long to get him here? And all over a beard that will grow back in a few weeks?

Wait until he gets his citizenship before you have him make a stand. Why take chances over a silly beard?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The first time I came home from Algeria (without hijab), I was drilled by customs. They marked something on my card and I was directed to another area. They drilled me again, who,what, where, etc. Asked questions about how I met Hachemi. bla, bla. Then sent me over to another area. xrayed my bags and unpacked one of them. Hachemi had sent some kind of ice pop things to my son.(You had to freeze them before eating). There where about 8 of them in a package, and they were round plastic casing and about 10 inches long. I wondered why after xraying that bag, they got so excited and unpacked the bag. They found them, and looked at each other, and repacked my bag. It did not occur to me until I was going to my other flight, what those icepops probably looked like on the scanner. lol.

The second time I went to Algeria, I wore hijab. On the way back I was expecting the same treatment. The guy stamped my passport and said welcome back, and that was that.

I think that Reda's family fear for his safety while traveling. Hachemi does not wear a beard, but his Mom asked him to not wear his thobe in public once he got to the USA because she was afraid something would happen to hm. They get an impression from media and stories that people tell, that the US is not safe for Muslims. Sad, but true sometimes.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

WOW!! I have never been drilled at an airport. The only overseas ones I have been to have been Heathrow and Milan though. Healthrow was ok but I got TONS of dirty looks from people. (I wear hijab). Milan was much better and no one gave me a second glance.

My husband came here via Milan and not one person questioned him. He was clean shaven but seriously it wouldn't have mattered since his name is Usama.

I agree with having him be as close to what his picture in his passport is. After that it's up to chance who gets selected for questioning.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Although I think it is silly that he should have to shave, well my instinct is to tell him to shave. Reason? Well he only has a visa, he is not a US citizen, and he has not in the US as of yet. They can send him back at the port if they choose to do so. Why would they over a beard? Who knows, but why I have seen them do strange things before (ask allousa). You could fight them? Maybe, but unlikely (again ask allousa). But is it worth the risk of having him turned at the POE when you have worked this long to get him here? And all over a beard that will grow back in a few weeks?

Wait until he gets his citizenship before you have him make a stand. Why take chances over a silly beard?

It might seem silly to you, but it is a sunnah of our prophet Mohammed, salallahu alayhi wassalam, and I think it's pretty disrespectful to call it like that.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Timeline

My husband gets at least 3 "random" security checks every time he goes through the airport whether or not it is domestic or international. Even his carry-on luggage has everything pulled out and inspected. He only has a goatee, not a full beard, and keeps it very short. He also went through the security checks for his visa within days and never had any problems with homeland security (that I know of) upon re-entry 3 times last year.... it has only been the airport security.

I find it very strange, and I don't know what it is about him except that his is very large, tall, and obviously arab :unsure: The only time I've been singled out was 2001 in Lubbock, TX of all places :wacko:

We are flying to NY tomorrow and sincerly hope there are no problems this time :blush:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.