Rocky_nBullwinkle

Pinay Ako!

213 posts in this topic

General Arthur MacArthur

On June 1, 1898, MacArthur received notification of his appointment as brigadier general of volunteers. His assignment to the Philippines rather than Cuba came as a surprise. Much of the American public had assumed that Admiral Dewey’s victory in Manila Bay had placed the whole archipelago under American control. The truth was much more complex. The military situation was a three sided standoff. The American fleet blockaded the harbor, while the land was contested by 35,000 Spanish troops and the Philippine insurgents. MacArthur was to be one of the leading generals in the American Army charged with the completion of the conquest begun by Dewey and the Navy. The planning for this campaign began in the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. After training at Camp Merritt near San Francisco, MacArthur and his brigade sailed aboard six transports on June 26, 1898.

After stopping in Honolulu, MacArthur and his men passed Corrigidor while entering Manila Bay on July 31. After conferences aboard ship, the landings were begun the next day and continued for a week. The first action was an assault on the Spanish blockhouses around Manila on August 13. The Spaniards, fearful of atrocities at the hands of the Filipinos, had arranged a token defense followed by a surrender to the Americans with Gen. Merritt, the American commander. To this end the Filipino Republican Army was ordered to stay out of the way, even though Merritt had not advised his subordinates of the deal. MacArthur’s brigade moved forward at about 10:30. As they advanced, the Americans were crowded by Filipino warriors. When the Spanish saw the Filipinos, resistance strengthened. The Spanish were fighting from a blockhouse from across the road from the American lines. MacArthur ordered the Astor Battery, which been equipped by John Jacob Astor, to open fire with its twelve-pound, mobile Hotchkiss guns. Like the Rough Riders, the men of the Astor Battery, which included many college graduates, had been specially selected. Ignoring orders to desist, the Filipinos charged along side the Americans, who soon found themselves in a crossfire between the Spaniards in front and the Filipinos in the rear. After a skirmish ended Filipino resistance, the Americans advanced along the road and into the old city of Manila. The fighting stopped the with Americans in control of Manila and with the Philippine army occuping the blockhouses surrounding the city. General Aguinaldo, Filipino commander, angered by the denial of Manila, ordered the Americans confined to the city. While awaiting action, the U.S. forces were put to the task of restoring order in Manila and maintaining themselves in fighting shape.

Arthur MacArthur

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While American troops waited in Manila, the peace conference continued in Paris, and Imperial policy was debated in the U.S. Young Republican politicians, including Henry Cabot Lodge, Theodore Roosevelt and Albert Jeremiah Beveridge, worked for annexation of the Philippines. These Imperialists argued for an American Empire to provide markets for American goods, which were being excluded from European Empires. This appeal to materialism was leavened by an invocation of the ideals of expanding American liberty, justice and equality for all. The presence of foreign ships in Manila harbor raised the specter of the Philippines falling under other foreign domination, rather than independence, if U.S. forces were withdrawn.

Anti-imperialists, primarily members of the Democratic Party, argued that the Constitution prevented the acquiring of territory not destined for statehood.

Popular support for annexation revealed itself in Republican gains in the elections of 1898. These results stiffened the resolve of President McKinley to order the U.S. delegation at the Paris Peace Conference to demand the entire Philippine archipelago. After Spanish outrage and an American threat to restart the war, Spain agreed to sell the Philippines to the U.S. for $20 million. The annexation drove the Philippine Republican Army to prepare for war against the Americans.

Philippine Republican Army

Edited by Rocky_nBullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

These are very informative pieces about Philippine history. Thank you very much for the posts. :star::star::star:

Very interesting and informative.

Keep up the good work... :thumbs:

During the inauguration of the First Philippine Republic at the Barasoain Church in Malolos, Bulacan, Pres. Emilio Aguinaldo congratulates the members of the Malolos Congress for drafting the Constitution of the Philippine Republic. He expresses his gratitude to the revolutionary troops for winning national independence through a revolution and to the Filipino nation, which is now free and independent, for its support. On this day, President Aguinaldo formally proclaims the birth of the Philippine Republic, the culmination of the Philippine Revolution against Spain. The parliamentary and constitutional labors of the Malolos Congress are manifestations that the Filipinos are a civilized nation, where Western precepts are known, worthy of being admitted into the concert of independent nations. He recognizes the presence of a national spirit which unites the Filipinos into a single aspiration-to live under the democratic regime of the Philippine Republic, free from foreign domination. Aguinaldo ends by expressing utmost pride for the newly established Philippine Republic, for the Constitution, and for the members of the Malolos Congress.

Representatives: I congratulate you upon having concluded your constitutional labors. From this date, the Philippines will have a National Code (=Malolos Constitution), to the just and wise precepts of which we each and everyone of us owe blind obedience, and whose liberal and democratic guaranties also extend to all. Hereafter, the Philippines will have a fundamental law which will unite our people with the other nations by the strongest of solidarities, that is the solidarity of justice, of law and right, eternal truths which were the basis of human dignity. I congratulate myself on seeing our constant efforts crowned, efforts which I continued from the time I entered the field with my brave countrymen of Cavite, as did our brothers in other sections with no arms, but bolos, to secure our liberty and independence. And, finally, I congratulate our beloved people who from this date will cease to be anonymous and will be able with legitimate pride to proclaim to the Universe the long desired name of PHILIPPINE REPUBLIC. We are no longer insurgents, we are no longer revolutionists, that is to say armed men desirous of destroying and annihilating the enemy. We are from now on, Republicans, that is to say, men of law, able to fraternize with all other nations, with mutual respect and affection. There is nothing lacking, therefore, in order for us to be recognized and admitted as a free and independent nation. Ah, Representatives! How much pain and bitterness do those passed days of the Spanish slavery bring to our minds and how much hope and joy do the present moments of Philippine liberty awaken in us. Great is this day, glorious is this date; and this moment when our beloved people rise to the apotheosis of independence will be eternally memorable. The 23rd of January will be for the Philippines hereafter a national feast day, as is the Fourth of July for the American nation. And thus, in the same manner as God helped weak America in the last century when she fought against powerful Albion [England], to regain her liberty and independence. He will also help us today in the identical undertaking, because the ways of Divine justice are immutably the same in rectitude and wisdom. A thousand thanks, Representatives, for your parliamentary labor, which ennobles us and established in a public and authentic manner that we are a civilized nation and also a brave one, worthy therefore, of being freely admitted into the concert of nations. You have justly deserved the gratitude of the country and of the Government, in that you showed the entire world by your wisdom, sound sense and prudence, that in this remote and heretofore unknown portion of the world, the principles of European and American civilization are known, and more than known, have for a long time been earnestly desired and very well felt; that there is a degree of intelligence and hearts here perfectly in accord with those of the most civilized nations; and that notwithstanding the calumnious voice of our eternal detractors, there is here finally, a national spirit, which unites and brings together all Filipino hearts into a single idea and a single aspiration TO LIVE INDEPENDENT OF ANY FOREIGN YOKE IN THE DEMOCRATIC SHADOW OF THE PHILIPPINE REPUBLIC For this reason, on seeing consecrated in our constitutional labor the eternal principles of authority, of liberty, or order and of justice, which all civilized nations profess, as the most perfect guaranty of their actual solidarity, I feel strength, pride and am sincerely impelled, from the bottom of my heart, to cry

Viva the Philippine Republic!

Viva the Constitution!

Viva their illustrious authors, the representatives of the first Filipino Congress! I have concluded.

Constitutional Convention

Hokey Smoke!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anybody here agree with me that the real Philippine independence occurred on July 4, 1946 and not on June 12, 1898? How can a minute group of anti-Spanish insurgents led by Aguinaldo come out from their hiding places, taking advantage of the Spanish defeat on Manila Bay and aided by bickerings in the McKinley administration as to whether to annex the Philippines or not, to rejoice by their lonesomes and proclaim Philippine independence, "independence" that never lasted anyway?

When Mother Spain went down to Admiral Dewey in Manila Bay, the Ugly Americans effectively owned the Philippines and it went on for another 48 years. During that period, Filipinos freely came to the US without the necessity of any visa and enjoyed the privileges that the people of Guam and Puerto Rico now possess. The Commonwealth of the Philippines was officially declared an independent republic on July 4, 1946. Now, my friends, why did the Macapagal administration, or was it Garcia, change our Independence Day offical holiday to June 12?

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Does anybody here agree with me that the real Philippine independence occurred on July 4, 1946 and not on June 12, 1898? How can a minute group of anti-Spanish insurgents led by Aguinaldo come out from their hiding places, taking advantage of the Spanish defeat on Manila Bay and aided by bickerings in the McKinley administration as to whether to annex the Philippines or not, to rejoice by their lonesomes and proclaim Philippine independence, "independence" that never lasted anyway?

When Mother Spain went down to Admiral Dewey in Manila Bay, the Ugly Americans effectively owned the Philippines and it went on for another 48 years. During that period, Filipinos freely came to the US without the necessity of any visa and enjoyed the privileges that the people of Guam and Puerto Rico now possess. The Commonwealth of the Philippines was officially declared an independent republic on July 4, 1946. Now, my friends, why did the Macapagal administration, or was it Garcia, change our Independence Day offical holiday to June 12?

:huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The Encarta dictionary defines "Ugly American" as: stereotypical offensive American, a loud, boorish, nationalistic American, especially one travelling abroad, who is regarded as conforming to a stereotype that gives Americans a bad reputation.

Perhaps the Americans who took over the Philippines from Spain and ruled it for 48 years were of this type.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The Encarta dictionary defines "Ugly American" as: stereotypical offensive American, a loud, boorish, nationalistic American, especially one travelling abroad, who is regarded as conforming to a stereotype that gives Americans a bad reputation.

Perhaps the Americans who took over the Philippines from Spain and ruled it for 48 years were of this type.

i'm well aware of what the term means.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Mother Spain and the ugly Americans....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your Spanish arrogance is outdated but amusing as hell. Please continue.

Hail Spain!

¡Callate la boca, pobre desgraciado! ¿Por qué cambiaste la palabra? La palabra no es "ugly" sino "Ugly". Parece que tu cerebro esta vacío igual que los otros ... :thumbs:

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hail Spain!

¡Callate la boca, pobre desgraciado! ¿Por qué cambiaste la palabra? La palabra no es "ugly" sino "Ugly". Parece que tu cerebro esta vacío igual que los otros ... :thumbs:

For those that forgot all that Spanish:

Shut up, you poor wretch! Why did you change the word? The word is not "ugly", it's "Ugly". Looks like your brain is just as empty as the others...

--Bullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Timeline

Hail Spain!

Thanks for proving my point.

Who calls Spain, Mother Spain in the Philippines anymore??? :rofl: I don't care whether you capitalized "Ugly" or not, it's an insult to Americans which begs the question why you are even immigrating here to the U.S.? Go live in Spain where you can live out your dream of being a pure blooded Spaniard.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

¡Comadre, te felicito por tu convicción y por tu amor ardoroso por la patria de nuestros antepasados!

President Diosdado Macapagal signed an executive order in 1963 that "moved" Philippine Independence Day from July 4,1946 to June 12, 1898. On the basis of the 1898 alleged "declaration of independence" by Aguinaldo in Kawit, Cavite, Macapagal thought that it was his mandate to correct "history".

Can Macapagal's order change history? I don't think so. There was not a single other country that recognized the proclamation of "independence" by Aguinaldo. The Filipino people did not ratify the Malolos Constitution that gave the power to Aguinaldo to declare a dicatatorial government. Furthermore, some history books say that Aguinaldo was a traitor and he ordered the murders of the Katipunan founder, Andres Bonifacio, and his brothers and followers.

In my opinion, it was on July 4, 1946 when the Philippines became politically free as an independent country.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hail Spain!

Thanks for proving my point.

Who calls Spain, Mother Spain in the Philippines anymore??? :rofl: I don't care whether you capitalized "Ugly" or not, it's an insult to Americans which begs the question why you are even immigrating here to the U.S.? Go live in Spain where you can live out your dream of being a pure blooded Spaniard.

Excuse me, Mister, I am not here to argue, not all are Ugly Americans. But there many who are, including those on VJ who constantly feed mockery to Filipinas.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.