Rocky_nBullwinkle

Pinay Ako!

213 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

José Rizal was a good man compared to Padre Gil. The bad ones, I think, were the armed rebels like Bonifacio and Aguinaldo. Diego Silang was a Spanish Ilocano mestizo like yours truly, so he should have been okay. (I love my own!). I wonder why Mother Spain abhored Rizal so much.

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
José Rizal was a good man compared to Padre Gil. The bad ones, I think, were the armed rebels like Bonifacio and Aguinaldo. Diego Silang was a Spanish Ilocano mestizo like yours truly, so he should have been okay. (I love my own!). I wonder why Mother Spain abhored Rizal so much.

Hail Spain!

Rebellion of 1896. — A general attack and slaughter of the Spaniards was planned for the 20th of August, 1896. The plot was discovered by the priest of Binondo, Padre Gil, who learned of the movement through the wife of one of the conspirators, and within a few hours the government had seized several hundred persons who were supposed to be implicated. The arrests included many rich and prominent Filipinos, and at the end of some weeks the Spanish prisons contained over five thousand suspects. Over one thousand of these were almost immediately exiled to far- distant Spanish prisons — Fernando Po, on the west coast of Africa, and the fortress of Ceuta, on the Mediterranean.

Meanwhile the Katipunan was organizing its forces for struggle. On the 26th of August, one thousand insurgents attacked Caloocan, and four days later a pitched battle was fought at San Juan del Monte. In this last fight the insurgents suffered great loss, their leader, Valenzuela, was captured and, with three companions, shot on the Campo de Bagumbayan. The rising continued, however, and the provinces of Pampanga, Bulacan, and Nueva Ecija were soon in full rebellion. The center of revolt, however, proved to be Cavite. This province was almost immediately cleared of Spaniards, except the long neck of land containing the town of Cavite and protected by the fleet. Here the insurgents received some organization under a young man, who had been prominent in the Katipunan — Emilio Aguinaldo.

The governor-general, Blanco, a humane man, who afterwards for a short time commanded in Cuba, was recalled, and General Polavieja replaced him. The Spanish army at the beginning of the revolt had consisted of but fifteen hundred troops, but so serious was the revolt regarded dealing with Tagalog life as represented at his old home on Laguna de Bay and in the city of Manila. Later he published a sequel, El Filibusterismo, in which even more courageously and significantly are set forth his ideas for reform.

His work made him many enemies, and on his return to Manila he found himself in danger and was obliged to leave. He^ returned again in 1893, and was immediately arrested and sentenced to deportation to Dapitan, Mindanao. Here he remained quietly in the practice of his profession for some years.

The Kdtipunan.—Meanwhile the ideas which had been agitated by the wealthy and educated Filipinos had worked their way down to the poor and humble classes. They were now shared by the peasant and the fisherman. Especially in those provinces where the religious orders owned estates and took as rental a portion of the tenants' crop, there was growing hatred and hostility to the friars. The "Liga Filipina" had been composed of cultivated and moderate men, who while pressing for reform were not inclined to radical extremes, nor to obtain their ends by violent means.

But there now grew up and gradually spread, until it had its branches and members in all the provinces sur*- rounding Manila, a secret association composed largely of the uneducated classes, whose object was independence of Spain, and whose members, having little to lose, were willing to risk all. This was the society which has since become famous under the name of "Katipunan." This secret association was organized in Cavite about 1892. Its president and founder was Andres Bonifacio. Its objects were frankly to expel the friars, and, if possible, to destroy the Spanish government.

Loading...Loading...that Spain, although straining every energy at the moment to end the rebellion in Cuba, strengthened the forces in the Philippines, until Polavieja had an army of twenty-eight thousand Spaniards assisted by several loyal

Filipino regiments. With this army a fierce campaign in C a v i t e province was conducted, which after fifty- two days' hard fighting ended in the defeat of the insurgents and the scattering of their forces.

Edited by Rocky_nBullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hail Spain!

¡Viva España!

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

Sorry for the way that one reads. Google Books sucks!

--Bullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Rebellion of 1896. — A general attack and slaughter of the Spaniards was planned for the 20th of August, 1896. The plot was discovered by the priest of Binondo, Padre Gil, who learned of the movement through the wife of one of the conspirators, and within a few hours the government had seized several hundred persons who were supposed to be implicated. The arrests included many rich and prominent Filipinos, and at the end of some weeks the Spanish prisons contained over five thousand suspects. Over one thousand of these were almost immediately exiled to far- distant Spanish prisons — Fernando Po, on the west coast of Africa, and the fortress of Ceuta, on the Mediterranean.

Meanwhile the Katipunan was organizing its forces for struggle. On the 26th of August, one thousand insurgents attacked Caloocan, and four days later a pitched battle was fought at San Juan del Monte. In this last fight the insurgents suffered great loss, their leader, Valenzuela, was captured and, with three companions, shot on the Campo de Bagumbayan. The rising continued, however, and the provinces of Pampanga, Bulacan, and Nueva Ecija were soon in full rebellion. The center of revolt, however, proved to be Cavite. This province was almost immediately cleared of Spaniards, except the long neck of land containing the town of Cavite and protected by the fleet. Here the insurgents received some organization under a young man, who had been prominent in the Katipunan — Emilio Aguinaldo.

The governor-general, Blanco, a humane man, who afterwards for a short time commanded in Cuba, was recalled, and General Polavieja replaced him. The Spanish army at the beginning of the revolt had consisted of but fifteen hundred troops, but so serious was the revolt regarded dealing with Tagalog life as represented at his old home on Laguna de Bay and in the city of Manila. Later he published a sequel, El Filibusterismo, in which even more courageously and significantly are set forth his ideas for reform.

His work made him many enemies, and on his return to Manila he found himself in danger and was obliged to leave. He^ returned again in 1893, and was immediately arrested and sentenced to deportation to Dapitan, Mindanao. Here he remained quietly in the practice of his profession for some years.

The Kdtipunan.—Meanwhile the ideas which had been agitated by the wealthy and educated Filipinos had worked their way down to the poor and humble classes. They were now shared by the peasant and the fisherman. Especially in those provinces where the religious orders owned estates and took as rental a portion of the tenants' crop, there was growing hatred and hostility to the friars. The "Liga Filipina" had been composed of cultivated and moderate men, who while pressing for reform were not inclined to radical extremes, nor to obtain their ends by violent means.

But there now grew up and gradually spread, until it had its branches and members in all the provinces sur*- rounding Manila, a secret association composed largely of the uneducated classes, whose object was independence of Spain, and whose members, having little to lose, were willing to risk all. This was the society which has since become famous under the name of "Katipunan." This secret association was organized in Cavite about 1892. Its president and founder was Andres Bonifacio. Its objects were frankly to expel the friars, and, if possible, to destroy the Spanish government.

Loading...Loading...that Spain, although straining every energy at the moment to end the rebellion in Cuba, strengthened the forces in the Philippines, until Polavieja had an army of twenty-eight thousand Spaniards assisted by several loyal

Filipino regiments. With this army a fierce campaign in C a v i t e province was conducted, which after fifty- two days' hard fighting ended in the defeat of the insurgents and the scattering of their forces.

Many thanks for the history lessons! I guess I've learned more about Philippine history here in this thread than in 4 years at high school. Otra vez, muchisimas gracias a vosotros, Rocky y Bullwinkle.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

Rocky nBullwinkle, your posts are quite interesting. I like learning new things about other countries.

It all came from here: http://www.filipinawives.com/index.htm (page down)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Rocky nBullwinkle, your posts are quite interesting. I like learning new things about other countries.

It all came from here: http://www.filipinawives.com/index.htm (page down)

Among other places. Thanks for noticing!

Hokey Smoke!

Many thanks for the history lessons! I guess I've learned more about Philippine history here in this thread than in 4 years at high school. Otra vez, muchisimas gracias a vosotros, Rocky y Bullwinkle.

El placer es para mi, Senorita Teresita.

Hokey Smoke!

Timeline

I'm planning to fetch my fiancee as soon as she gets her visa and we'll explore the tourist spots in Manila. Do you know if Fort Santiago is accessible to the public and, if yes, do they charge any admission fee or something? Marie, is the Jai Alai fronton still on Taft Avenue? I have fond memories at the Jai Alai and the Sky Room at the mezzzanine floor where I used to tease the pelotaris. This was when I was in college in Manila forty years ago. I remember when one pelotari, Chaparro his monicker was, failed to snare the pelota for what could have been a daily double win for me. I shouted "Chaparro, gago" and he came close to the stands looking for me and shouting "donde estas, donte estas, estupido?"

I learned a lot about Philippine history in this thread too.

I'm planning to fetch my fiancee as soon as she gets her visa and we'll explore the tourist spots in Manila. Do you know if Fort Santiago is accessible to the public and, if yes, do they charge any admission fee or something? Marie, is the Jai Alai fronton still on Taft Avenue? I have fond memories at the Jai Alai and the Sky Room at the mezzzanine floor where I used to tease the pelotaris. This was when I was in college in Manila forty years ago. I remember when one pelotari, Chaparro his monicker was, failed to snare the pelota for what could have been a daily double win for me. I shouted "Chaparro, gago" and he came close to the stands looking for me and shouting "donde estas, donte estas, estupido?"

I learned a lot about Philippine history in this thread too.

Bill and I went exploring Luneta Park and Fort Santiago in Intramuros. We paid like 40 pesos at the gate in Fort Santiago and then we took a carriage ride for 100 pesos. Yes, Fort Santiago is accessible to the public everyday except holidays maybe.

The Jai Alai fronton in Taft Avenue is now a department store and supermarket. No more Jai Alai manong ko. Mayor Lim declared Jai Alai illegal in Manila long time ago. And now, Lim is the mayor again in Manila.

Bill said you and Senorita Teresita take the harbor tour of Corregidor if you haven't done so already. That is quite the experience. The food sucks, but the rest was great. We paid 3,680 pesos for two people. Don't get the buffet. Get the sitdown meal. The buffet sucks. They charged us extra too.

-- Rocky

Hokey Smoke!

Timeline

Thanks for the info, Marie. We'll definitely visit Fort Santiago. As for Corregidor, I probably doubt it as I get seasick very quickly, but we'll see. It's sayang, the fronton ain't there no more. But what is this news that I gather from the grapevine that the owner of Mall of Asia is building a Jai Alai fronton in Sta. Ana, Cagayan?

Some of my favorite holidays in the Philippines are All Saints Day and All Souls Day, November 1 and 2. These holidays together are also called "Undas". I was born on the 1st of November and until now I am still confused why Filipinos celebrate All Souls Day on the first of November.

A week before Undas, everybody's going to fix the gravesites, clean and take the weeds out, and repaint the crypts in preparation for the Undas.

My mom would prepare lots of food like pansit, biko, buchi, puto (rice cake) and would bring them to the cemetery and we have a feast there with my cousins, uncles, second cousins and the rest of my relatives. We spend the whole day with our dead loved ones on the first of November when everybody should be celebrating All Saints Day. It's like there's a fiesta being celebrated at the cemetery with the men drinking and families are reunited in this place.

So it's like I get to celebrate my birthday at the cemetery and my cousins would love to pick on me about it. At first, I was bothered by it. So everytime someone would ask me about my birthday, I would give them a warning not to laugh before I tell them. Some would be amused.

So the next day, only a few people you can see at the cemetery visiting their departed ancestors. Funny, but I still find it weird until now.

Rocky :)

Hokey Smoke!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Love this post.. I'll post more of being pinay tomorrow I'll just get a little sleep.. Just want toshare too that last April me, mike and my mother in law went to a walking tour n Intramuros, it is led by carlos celdran which you can googlefor the price.. Much learning and fun experience with him explaining stuffs that I'm pretty sure I haven't learn in my history classes back then.. Totally worth it!

😁

The Battle of Manila Bay was one of two major American naval victories in the Spanish-American War, both of which were very decisive, and, in hindsight, very one-sided. The Battle of Manila Bay occurred on the morning of May 1, 1898, only days after war had been declared between Spain and the United States.

The battle is notable for several reasons. First, it was a complete and final victory, ending any threat from the Spanish naval forces involved. All major Spanish ships were destroyed or captured, without any significant damage occurring to the American Forces.

Secondly, technically no Americans lost their lives in the battle (two American deaths did indirectly occur which may be attributable to the battle), though the lives of many Spaniards were lost. The result is that Americans look at the victory as a "bloodless" battle, whereas the Spanish obviously do not.

Thirdly, the American attack was very daring and dangerous, based on what the Americans knew at the time, but not as risky when looked at in hindsight. Many world powers, who were not aware of the American naval build-up over the past decade and a half, considered the United States Asiatic Squadron to be little or no threat to the Spanish naval forces. The Americans also over-rated the Spanish navy's ability and determination to fight, and many authorities considered the fleet to be sailing into a veritable deathtrap. In addition to the naval forces, many Spanish gun batteries existed in the fortifications around Manila Bay. These guns alone should have been enough armament to destroy the American squadron.

Lastly, the American Asiatic Squadron was not sufficiently supplied with ammunition for wartime service and the nearest site for resupply was California, seven thousand miles away!

By far, the most notable aspect of the battle was that, as a result of this battle, the United States became a recognized world power overnight. The U.S. Navy had been a subject of derision internationally for years. The United States had begun to change that with the advent of its new steel navy, but, in a time when a country's military was rated according to the strength of its navy, this was the first time that the ability of both the U.S. warships and their well-trained crews were shown to be an important world force.

Battle of Manila Bay

Hokey Smoke!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.