Rocky_nBullwinkle

Pinay Ako!

213 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Say goodbye to Bullwinkle! Say hello to Mister Bill!

oh no!

2366766994_18fbeb32fe.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody here agree with me that the real Philippine independence occurred on July 4, 1946 and not on June 12, 1898? How can a minute group of anti-Spanish insurgents led by Aguinaldo come out from their hiding places, taking advantage of the Spanish defeat on Manila Bay and aided by bickerings in the McKinley administration as to whether to annex the Philippines or not, to rejoice by their lonesomes and proclaim Philippine independence, "independence" that never lasted anyway?

When Mother Spain went down to Admiral Dewey in Manila Bay, the Ugly Americans effectively owned the Philippines and it went on for another 48 years. During that period, Filipinos freely came to the US without the necessity of any visa and enjoyed the privileges that the people of Guam and Puerto Rico now possess. The Commonwealth of the Philippines was officially declared an independent republic on July 4, 1946. Now, my friends, why did the Macapagal administration, or was it Garcia, change our Independence Day offical holiday to June 12?

¡Comadre, te felicito por tu convicción y por tu amor ardoroso por la patria de nuestros antepasados!

Seriously, why this great reverence for Spain? While the influence of the Spanish on the PI is undeniable, you won't find too many Mexicans affectionately referring to Spain as their mother land. The PI is a cornucopia of outside influences. Do you two belong to some fringe group that wants to bring back the PI under Spanish rule? ¡Momma mia!

Who t...f...want Spanish rules for Filipinos.

Edited by VJ's Opportunist

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does anybody here agree with me that the real Philippine independence occurred on July 4, 1946 and not on June 12, 1898? How can a minute group of anti-Spanish insurgents led by Aguinaldo come out from their hiding places, taking advantage of the Spanish defeat on Manila Bay and aided by bickerings in the McKinley administration as to whether to annex the Philippines or not, to rejoice by their lonesomes and proclaim Philippine independence, "independence" that never lasted anyway?

When Mother Spain went down to Admiral Dewey in Manila Bay, the Ugly Americans effectively owned the Philippines and it went on for another 48 years. During that period, Filipinos freely came to the US without the necessity of any visa and enjoyed the privileges that the people of Guam and Puerto Rico now possess. The Commonwealth of the Philippines was officially declared an independent republic on July 4, 1946. Now, my friends, why did the Macapagal administration, or was it Garcia, change our Independence Day offical holiday to June 12?

¡Comadre, te felicito por tu convicción y por tu amor ardoroso por la patria de nuestros antepasados!

Seriously, why this great reverence for Spain? While the influence of the Spanish on the PI is undeniable, you won't find too many Mexicans affectionately referring to Spain as their mother land. The PI is a cornucopia of outside influences. Do you two belong to some fringe group that wants to bring back the PI under Spanish rule? ¡Momma mia!

Hey, this thread is just for intellectuals! :star:

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

depends - do they have siestas too? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Hey, this thread is just for intellectuals! :star:

Sorry, I did not see warning sign.

Edited by VJ's Opportunist

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Reforms Sought by La Solidaridad

As was to be expected, the friars published another periodical to oppose these claims; their main argument was the incapacity of the native due to his ignorance and inborn laziness. They alleged that the sought for reforms, incompatible with his primitive state, would spoil the native, accustomed as he was to work under threat of the whip -- the reforms would, so to speak, be too strong a food for his unsophisticated stomach; that, if their petitions were granted, the Filipinos would ask for more, turning more and more demanding and vexatious, and never satisfied; that really the masses in the country were happy with their lot and paid no heed to La Solidaridad which was edited by a handful of subversives. They were told in reply that the native was ignorant because he was badly instructed, principally because the friars, who were the inspectors of the government primary schools and the private secondary schools, did not want him to be instructed; that notwithstanding official statistics in the Philippines the proportion of persons who could read and write to the total population, was, if not equal to, greater than, in the peninsula; that the indolence of the native was largely due to the lack of cheap and easy transport facilities for his products; that reform were sought precisely so that the native might rise from the primitive state in which he was being kept and so that the government, better informed of his needs, might meet them accordingly; that the number of representatives of the Filipinos in parliament might be fixed in proportion to those who could read and write; and lastly that to clarify and dispel all manner of doubts it would be convenient, by way of experiment, to implant some reforms and permit the Filipinos freely and peacefully to express what they felt. Since these arguments were unanswerable, the organ of the friars had the impudence to declare more than once, with heavy emphasis, that the freedoms enjoyed in the peninsula had been won with blood, not ink. Such provocation was, of course, childish but, for that very reason, rash in the extreme. While all this was taking place the Spanish government remained silent, but its actions showed in a way that left no room for doubt that it was on the side of the friars, abandoning the people who bore all the burdens of the state. Once in a while an outstanding liberal, weary of waiting for his party's turn in power, would raise the kite of vague promises which, once he had in his hands the cabinet portfolio he coveted, he tried to forget.

Source

Even Rizal himself admitted that laziness existed among Filipinos in an essay (La Indolencia De Los Filipinos) that appeared in La Solidaridad in 1890. It was a continuation of Rizal’s campaign of education in which he sought the truth to awaken his countrymen to their own faults and at the same time that he was arousing the Spaniards to the defects in Spain’s colonial system that caused and continued such shortcomings.

Questions and Answers

What happened to Crisostomo Ibarra, you might ask? Ibarra was able to escape and became the lead character in El Filibusterismo. Simoun is his new name. :star::star::star:

Oh, man, I love these books of fiction a la Liwayway or Bannawag serials!

El Filibusterismo one of my favorite book. :thumbs:

Timeline
Reforms Sought by La Solidaridad

As was to be expected, the friars published another periodical to oppose these claims; their main argument was the incapacity of the native due to his ignorance and inborn laziness. They alleged that the sought for reforms, incompatible with his primitive state, would spoil the native, accustomed as he was to work under threat of the whip -- the reforms would, so to speak, be too strong a food for his unsophisticated stomach; that, if their petitions were granted, the Filipinos would ask for more, turning more and more demanding and vexatious, and never satisfied; that really the masses in the country were happy with their lot and paid no heed to La Solidaridad which was edited by a handful of subversives. They were told in reply that the native was ignorant because he was badly instructed, principally because the friars, who were the inspectors of the government primary schools and the private secondary schools, did not want him to be instructed; that notwithstanding official statistics in the Philippines the proportion of persons who could read and write to the total population, was, if not equal to, greater than, in the peninsula; that the indolence of the native was largely due to the lack of cheap and easy transport facilities for his products; that reform were sought precisely so that the native might rise from the primitive state in which he was being kept and so that the government, better informed of his needs, might meet them accordingly; that the number of representatives of the Filipinos in parliament might be fixed in proportion to those who could read and write; and lastly that to clarify and dispel all manner of doubts it would be convenient, by way of experiment, to implant some reforms and permit the Filipinos freely and peacefully to express what they felt. Since these arguments were unanswerable, the organ of the friars had the impudence to declare more than once, with heavy emphasis, that the freedoms enjoyed in the peninsula had been won with blood, not ink. Such provocation was, of course, childish but, for that very reason, rash in the extreme. While all this was taking place the Spanish government remained silent, but its actions showed in a way that left no room for doubt that it was on the side of the friars, abandoning the people who bore all the burdens of the state. Once in a while an outstanding liberal, weary of waiting for his party's turn in power, would raise the kite of vague promises which, once he had in his hands the cabinet portfolio he coveted, he tried to forget.

Source

Even Rizal himself admitted that laziness existed among Filipinos in an essay (La Indolencia De Los Filipinos) that appeared in La Solidaridad in 1890. It was a continuation of Rizal’s campaign of education in which he sought the truth to awaken his countrymen to their own faults and at the same time that he was arousing the Spaniards to the defects in Spain’s colonial system that caused and continued such shortcomings.

Has any one read The Indolence of the Filipinos? :whistle:

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif7.gifTTT725325v80m0346dj.gif

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Timeline

I believe indolence is embedded in almost everyone’s heart and soul, Filipino or otherwise. I, myself, must admit that I possess some inborn laziness, albeit how trivial it may be. My laziness could be the product of my incessant procrastination; not to accomplish something today, because it can always be done tomorrow. For example, I must mow the lawn now as the fescue grass is about 3 inches high, but, wait, I am going to the golf course instead and enjoy whacking the bermuda fairways with my 7-iron. Hey, there is always tomorrow for the grass and weeds at home. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.