Rocky_nBullwinkle

Pinay Ako!

213 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks for the post, mariquita linda. Good stuff! Any more?

--Bullwinkle

Thanks. There's glee in my face when I see the exploits of my fellow Ilocanos like Diego Silang and of course, Rocky!

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Here's another piece on prominent Ilocanos in Philippine history:

JUAN LUNA

LUNA, JUAN Novicio b Badoc, Ilocos Norte 24 Oct 1857 d. Hong Kong 7 Dec 1899. His parents are Joaquin Luna de San Pedro y Posada and Laurena Novicio y Ancheta. He has four equally famous brothers: Manuel, b, 1855, a violin virtuoso; Jose, b. 1861, a physician; Joaquin Damoso, b. 1864, governor,congressman, and senator and Antonio, b. I866, writer and general of the Philippine Revolution Army. On 7 Dec 1886, Juan married Paz Pardo de Tavera y Gorricho with whom he had two children, Andres Luna San Pedro, and Maria de la Paz, who died young.

The Lunas transferred to Manila in 1861 enabling Juan to finish his high school at the Ateneo de Manila. In 1869, he enrolled at the Escuela Nautica, where after five years of theoretical courses and practical sailing to Asian ports like Hongkong, Amoy, Singapore, Colombo, and Batavia, he obtained the certificate of piloto de altos mares tercer clase (pilot of the high seas third class). While in Port for six months, he took up landscape painting at the Academia de Dibujo y Pintura. Eventually, he received private lessons from Lorenzo Guerrero, who, perceiving his potentials urged his parents to send him to Spain for further studies. In 1877, Juan executed Barrio al lado del rio (village by the river) and Vista de un barrio con kapok (Barrio Scene with Kapok Trees) Towards the end of that year he sailed to Spain.

Luna enrolled at the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando in Madrid. Then, Ayuntamiento de Manila granted him a four year scholarship. In 1883 he started painting the Spoliarium, which won him the first gold medal at the Madrid Art Exposition the following year. A colossal multifigure scene depicting dead gladiators being mourned by their relatives at the basement of the Roman Colosseum, the

Spoliarium was identified by Jose Rizal as an allusion to the exploitation or the Philippines by Spain. Luna transferred to Paris in October 1884 but he shuttled back and forth to Madrid as his works, particularly portraits, were now in demand. His presence was also needed by fellow Filipinas who were pushing for reforms in the Philippine colony from the Madrid government. In 1885, he executed El pacto de sangre (Blood Compact).

In I892, Luna finished Peuple et Rois (People and Kings), which he intended to send to the Chicago Universal Exposition of that year. However, a tragedy aborted his plans. On 22 Sept 1892, he shot his wife and motherlaw. Acquitted by the French court on 3 Feb 1893, Luna left Paris for Madrid with his son. In August 1896, he was arrested together with his brothers by the Spanish constabulary for complicity in the Katipunan Rebellion. Cleared eventually, he left for Spain to work for the pardon of his brother, Antonio. Back in Spain, he received news of the overthrow of the Spanish role in the Philippines. Upon the establishment of the Philippine Republic, he was appointed a diplomatic agent of the Hong Kong junta and later a member of the diplomatic missions to Paris and the United States to work for

the recognition of the new government in those countries.

Luna died in Hong Kong on his way back to the Philippines.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is pretty cool and I would like to add some info about Juan Luna

- His art pieces were ignored or weren't that much valued until he won in the Exposition contest. His winning piece was the Spolarium.

- His "Batalion de Lepanto" embodies Luna's favorite color, azure (or color of the sea, something like blue/greenish) and can only be seen in the hall of the Spanish congress. It is shown to the public once a year.

- When Tavera had her miscarriage, she was told by her husband to go to their vacation house in Spain and spent her months there to recover from the incident. After several months, came back (or probably, Juan joined her in their vacation house) began to notice that his wife began wearing colorful pastel colors. This was an indication (according to him) that his wife was seeing somebody else. Out of jealousy, he went home raving mad. His wife quickly hid in their room and locked herself there. Juan demanded the door be opened but his life wouldn't let him in. So, he took the gun from his drawer and shot the lock. His wife was behind the door and received the bullet. He even shot his brother and mother in law.

Juan was charged and tried in the court however, he was found innocent from the crime because he had 'psychological disorder."

The Luna brothers were known to be short tempered. His brother, Antonio was killed (shot and stabbed point blank) by E. Aguinaldo's soldiers (the Philippine Constabulary. I'll post the story about it sometime soon) because he scolded them terribly much.

- Of his paintings, Parisian Life (bought by the GSIS) was the smallest. No more than about 3ft in width and 2ft or so in height, it happens to be quite controversial.

A1-ParisianLife04062008.jpg

Of his paintings, Luna 'intentionally' didn't write the title of the piece on the lower right side of the painting. Hence, the piece itself has several titles: The woman in the cafe, Coquette (it was because the woman there flaunted her assets and was being stared at by 3 gentleman on the far end of the sofa). Few years after (from what I could remember), before GSIS bought the painting, art scholars cleaned the painting by letting it breath from its frame (eg taking the piece out from his frame) and there they found out at the back of the painting title of Luna's piece: Parisian life, written by the master himself.

There are several interpretations of this painting (which I have learned from the former head of GSIS museum, Mr. Bimbo Cerrudo.)

a. The woman represents the Philippines. Her whole body represents the whole Philippines. Plot on the mirror the silhouette of the Philippine map and the drawn image be placed over the painting (map and painting has to be of the same size). Batanes should be below the eye of the woman. Anyways, all shaded areas from her chest down to her skirts represents the mountainous regions of the Philippines. Luna did this perfectly because he had taken up naval subjects (dealing with correct measurements etc.)

b. Intentional Errors of the painting. Notice that the first thing we see from this painting is the woman. Why? Because there are some elements which aid our eyes to look at the subject. They are:

1. The angle of the coffee table;

2. The angle of the folded coat on the sofa;

3. The angle of the folded newspaper behind her; and

4. The eyes of the 3 gentle men looking at her.

Notice that the artist has aligned his subject to the window bar (grill however you call that). That is another intentional error. If you would follow the line of the window from the bowler's hat of the girl down to her neck, it would seem as though the lady's being hanged! Thus, it would explain the way she sits (with hands supporting her weight so as not to slip and suffer the faith, ie death by hanging)

c. Interpretations. There are a number of interpretations. Having said that the woman represents the Philippines, the rope bound to her neck represents Spain's tight grip on her. The newspaper behind her has this headline: Liberty, Equality and Fraternity (which was the main motto sprung during the French Revolution). It could then be said that at the back of the woman's mind, she's brewing a revolution-- not just an ordinary revolt but a national revolution.

Another interpretation would be that this painting represents Luna's wife.

N.B. notice the jacket on the sofa and 2 glasses of beer. One is half way filled and the other full to the brim. The viewer would then surmise the Luna's wife was out on a date and well.. :)

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif7.gifTTT725325v80m0346dj.gif

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Very interesting, Anna and Jeff. Very interesting, indeed!

--Bullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline
Does anybody here agree with me that the real Philippine independence occurred on July 4, 1946 and not on June 12, 1898?

I for one agree that it should have been July 4 instead of June 12. When Aguinaldo declared independence on the balcony of his house, not all provinces were freed from the spanish authority and/or that there were no representatives (correct me if I am wrong) from other provinces.

How can a minute group of anti-Spanish insurgents led by Aguinaldo come out from their hiding places, taking advantage of the Spanish defeat on Manila Bay and aided by bickerings in the McKinley administration as to whether to annex the Philippines or not, to rejoice by their lonesomes and proclaim Philippine independence, "independence" that never lasted anyway?

I think Spain had it coming. To save grace, Montojo, the last spanish governor general waged a mock battle against USA (Mock battle in Manila Bay) and the latter won. Spain sold Philippines to America for over $2M in 1898. Prior to this incident, Aguinaldo had had talk with Admiral Dewey (correct me I am wrong) and claimed that the latter would back up the former's cause. Sometime in August 1898, war broke out. The Filipinos (Aguinaldo's) wanted to aide America in their battle but the latter said that it was not necessary. The war went on for several days until finally Spain had to recede.

Mckinley on the other hand, had several thoughts as to whether keep hold of Philippines until one day, 'musing over the territories they have gotten' had thought it was their job to help the brown (I guess other complexioned people as well) to stand on their own feet. Hence, they kept the territories and taught the people 'independence' (not meaning freedom or liberty though imo).

Aguinaldo on the other hand, seeing what was happening, tried to escape from the US soldiers was eventually captured in Palanan Isabela in 1901.

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Timeline

Here's another piece on prominent Ilocanos in Philippine history:

JUAN LUNA

LUNA, JUAN Novicio b Badoc, Ilocos Norte 24 Oct 1857 d. Hong Kong 7 Dec 1899. His parents are Joaquin Luna de San Pedro y Posada and Laurena Novicio y Ancheta.

Oh, my word! Juan Luna is my kinsfolk!

Good job, muñequita linda!

Timeline
This is pretty cool and I would like to add some info about Juan Luna

- His art pieces were ignored or weren't that much valued until he won in the Exposition contest. His winning piece was the Spolarium.

- His "Batalion de Lepanto" embodies Luna's favorite color, azure (or color of the sea, something like blue/greenish) and can only be seen in the hall of the Spanish congress. It is shown to the public once a year.

- When Tavera had her miscarriage, she was told by her husband to go to their vacation house in Spain and spent her months there to recover from the incident. After several months, came back (or probably, Juan joined her in their vacation house) began to notice that his wife began wearing colorful pastel colors. This was an indication (according to him) that his wife was seeing somebody else. Out of jealousy, he went home raving mad. His wife quickly hid in their room and locked herself there. Juan demanded the door be opened but his life wouldn't let him in. So, he took the gun from his drawer and shot the lock. His wife was behind the door and received the bullet. He even shot his brother and mother in law.

Juan was charged and tried in the court however, he was found innocent from the crime because he had 'psychological disorder."

The Luna brothers were known to be short tempered. His brother, Antonio was killed (shot and stabbed point blank) by E. Aguinaldo's soldiers (the Philippine Constabulary. I'll post the story about it sometime soon) because he scolded them terribly much.

- Of his paintings, Parisian Life (bought by the GSIS) was the smallest. No more than about 3ft in width and 2ft or so in height, it happens to be quite controversial.

A1-ParisianLife04062008.jpg

Of his paintings, Luna 'intentionally' didn't write the title of the piece on the lower right side of the painting. Hence, the piece itself has several titles: The woman in the cafe, Coquette (it was because the woman there flaunted her assets and was being stared at by 3 gentleman on the far end of the sofa). Few years after (from what I could remember), before GSIS bought the painting, art scholars cleaned the painting by letting it breath from its frame (eg taking the piece out from his frame) and there they found out at the back of the painting title of Luna's piece: Parisian life, written by the master himself.

There are several interpretations of this painting (which I have learned from the former head of GSIS museum, Mr. Bimbo Cerrudo.)

a. The woman represents the Philippines. Her whole body represents the whole Philippines. Plot on the mirror the silhouette of the Philippine map and the drawn image be placed over the painting (map and painting has to be of the same size). Batanes should be below the eye of the woman. Anyways, all shaded areas from her chest down to her skirts represents the mountainous regions of the Philippines. Luna did this perfectly because he had taken up naval subjects (dealing with correct measurements etc.)

b. Intentional Errors of the painting. Notice that the first thing we see from this painting is the woman. Why? Because there are some elements which aid our eyes to look at the subject. They are:

1. The angle of the coffee table;

2. The angle of the folded coat on the sofa;

3. The angle of the folded newspaper behind her; and

4. The eyes of the 3 gentle men looking at her.

Notice that the artist has aligned his subject to the window bar (grill however you call that). That is another intentional error. If you would follow the line of the window from the bowler's hat of the girl down to her neck, it would seem as though the lady's being hanged! Thus, it would explain the way she sits (with hands supporting her weight so as not to slip and suffer the faith, ie death by hanging)

c. Interpretations. There are a number of interpretations. Having said that the woman represents the Philippines, the rope bound to her neck represents Spain's tight grip on her. The newspaper behind her has this headline: Liberty, Equality and Fraternity (which was the main motto sprung during the French Revolution). It could then be said that at the back of the woman's mind, she's brewing a revolution-- not just an ordinary revolt but a national revolution.

Another interpretation would be that this painting represents Luna's wife.

N.B. notice the jacket on the sofa and 2 glasses of beer. One is half way filled and the other full to the brim. The viewer would then surmise the Luna's wife was out on a date and well.. :)

Nice piece, Anna & Jeff!

If I were to interpret the painting, I would say that the three johns represent Luzon, Visayas & Mindanao eyeing on the lady of the night, representing Spain, and ready to pounce on her until she screams, "Okay, I'll let you free, you have your independence!"

Timeline

sorry for misspelled words lol. Bold letters are edits.

- When Tavera had her miscarriage, she was told by her husband to go to their vacation house in Spain and spent her months there to recover from the incident. After several months, came back (or probably, Juan joined her in their vacation house) began to notice that his wife began wearing colorful pastel dresses. This was an indication (according to him) that his wife was seeing somebody else. Out of jealousy, he went home raving mad. His wife quickly hid in their room and locked herself up. Juan demanded the door be opened but his wife wouldn't let him in.

Few years after (from what I could remember), before GSIS bought the painting, art scholars cleaned the painting by letting it breath from its frame (eg taking the piece out from his frame) and there they found out at the back of the painting thetitle of Luna's piece: Parisian life, written by the master himself.

Notice that the artist had aligned his subject to the window bar (grill however you call that). That is another intentional error. If you would follow the line of the window down to the lady's bowler's hat to her neck, it would seem as though the subject's being hanged! Thus, it would explain the way she sits (with hands supporting her weight so as not to slip and suffer the faith, ie death by hanging)

Nice piece, Anna & Jeff!

If I were to interpret the painting, I would say that the three johns represent Luzon, Visayas & Mindanao eyeing on the lady of the night, representing Spain, and ready to pounce on her until she screams, "Okay, I'll let you free, you have your independence!"

Thanks! lol that's a good interpretation too! :D

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

Timeline

I'm glad to contribute to the history class. This one is about my kinsfolk (I think, because Juan and Antonio Luna's mother is an Ancheta like yours truly)! :star:

GENERAL ANTONIO LUNA'S ASSASSINATION

General Antonio Luna, Juan Luna's youngest brother, was the greatest military leader the Philippines has ever had and was a true national hero. But General Luna's tragic death came unexpectedly on June 17, 1899 on orders of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo.

On June 4, 1899, a telegram from Aguinaldo, arrived ordering him to go to Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija for a conference. He left at once with his aide, Col. Paco Roman.

When they arrived at Aguinaldo's headquarters in Cabanatuan they learned that he had left for Pampanga. While going down the stairs of the headquarters, the assassins, guards who happened to be the same men on whom he had imposed disciplinary punishments after the battle at Caloocan, pounced on him, riddled his body with bullets while others stabbed him.

He fired blindly with his pistol while shouting "Cowards and assassins! Coward Caviteños!" Col. Paco Roman rushed to his aid but was shot dead a few meters away from him.

At the age of 31, General Antonio Luna was already dead. Juan Luna, elder brother of Gen Antonio and renowned painter of 'La Spoliarium' died because of extreme disappointment and intense grief shortly after learning that his youngest brother was assassinated.

Gen Antonio Luna's soldiers, by whose side he had stood loyally, greatly mourned the leader's death and they would always remember him as the one who exhorted them to a profound love of country; the one who had vowed to them:

"I will defend my country until I exhaust the last recourse for the cause... thus complying with my oath to the flag."

Now, my contribution to our history class...

Flag of the Philippines

The national flag of the Philippines is a horizontal bicolor with equal bands of blue and red, and with a white equilateral triangle based at the hoist side; in the center of the triangle is a golden yellow sun with eight primary rays, each containing three individual rays; and at each corner of the triangle is a five-pointed golden yellow star. The flag is displayed with the blue field on top in times of peace, and with the red field on top in times of war.

Symbolism

According to official sources, the white triangle stands for equality and fraternity; the blue field for peace, truth and justice; and the red field for patriotism and valor.[5] The eight primary rays of the sun represent the first eight provinces (Batangas, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, Manila, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, and Tarlac) that sought independence from Spain and were placed under martial law by the Spaniards at the start of the Philippine Revolution in 1896.[6] The three stars represent the three major geographical divisions of the country: Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao.[6]

However, the symbolism given in the 1898 Proclamation of Philippine Independence differs from the current official explanation. It says that the white triangle signifies the emblem of the Katipunan, the secret society that opposed Spanish rule. It says the flag's colors commemorate the flag of the United States as a manifestation of gratitude for American protection against the Spanish during the Philippine Revolution. It also says that one of the three stars represents the island of Panay, rather than the entire Visayas.[7]

The modern design of the Philippine flag was conceptualized by Emilio Aguinaldo during his exile in Hong Kong in 1897. The first flag was sewn by Doña Marcela Marino de Agoncillo with the help of her daughter Lorenza and Doña Delfina Herbosa de Natividad (a niece of reformist leader José Rizal). It was displayed in battle on May 28, 1898.

The flag was formally unfurled during the proclamation of independence on June 12, 1898 in Kawit, Cavite.[5] However, a Manila Times article by Augusto de Viana, Chief History Researcher, National Historical Institute, mentions assertions in history textbooks and commemorative rites that the flag was first raised in Alapan, Imus, Cavite, on May 28, 1898, citing Presidential Proclamation No. 374, issued by then-President Diosdado Macapagal on March 6, 1965.[9] The article goes on to claim that historical records indicate that the first display of the Philippine flag took place in Cavite City, when General Aguinaldo displayed it during the first fight of the Philippine Revolution.[9]

The flag's original symbolism was enumerated in the text of the independence proclamation, which makes reference to an attached drawing, though no record of the drawing has surfaced.[8] The original design of the flag adopted a mythical sun with a face, a symbol common to several former Spanish colonies. The particular shade of blue of the original flag has been a source of controversy. Based on anecdotal evidence and the few surviving flags from the era, historians argue that the colors of the original flag were the same blue and red as found on the flag of Cuba.[8]

The flag of Cuba influenced the design of the flag of the Philippines as Cuba's revolution against Spain inspired, to some degree, the Philippine Revolution.

Hostilities broke out between the Philippines and the United States in 1899. The flag was first flown with the red field up on February 4, 1899 to show that a state of war existed. Aguinaldo was captured by the Americans two years later, and swore allegiance to the United States.

With the defeat of the Philippine Republic, the Philippines was placed under American colonial rule and the display of the Philippine flag was declared illegal by the Sedition Act of 1907. This law was repealed on October 30, 1919.[8] With the legalization of the Philippine flag, the cloth available in most stores was the red and blue of the flag of the United States, so the flag from 1919 onwards adopted the navy blue color. The Philippine Legislature passed Act. No 2928 on March 26, 1920, which legally adopted the Philippine flag as the official flag of the Philippine Islands. Up until the eve of World War II, Flag Day was celebrated on annually on October 30, commemorating the date the ban on the flag was lifted.

The Commonwealth of the Philippines was inaugurated in 1935. On March 25, 1936, President Manuel L. Quezon issued Executive Order No. 23 which provided for the technical description and specifications of the flag.[8] Among the provisions of the order was the definition of the triangle at the hoist as an equilateral triangle, the definition of the aspect ratio at 1:2, the precise angles of the stars, the geometric and aesthetic design of the sun, and the formal elimination of the mythical face on the sun. These specifications have remained unchanged and in effect to the present.

The exact shades of colors, however, were not precisely defined. In 1941, Flag Day was officially moved to June 12, commemorating the date that Philippine independence was proclaimed in 1898.

The flag was once again banned with the invasion and occupation of the Philippines beginning December 1941, to be hoisted again with the establishment of the Japanese-sponsored Second Republic of the Philippines. In ceremonies held in October 1943, Emilio Aguinaldo hoisted the flag with the original Cuban blue and red colors restored. The flag was initially flown with the blue stripe up, until President Jose P. Laurel proclaimed the existence of a state of war with the Allied Powers in 1944. The Commonwealth government-in-exile in Washington DC continued to use the flag with the American colors, and had flown it with the red stripe up since the initial invasion of the Japanese. With the return of the Filipino & American forces and the liberation of the Philippines in 1944, the flag with the American colors was restored, and it was this flag that was hoisted upon the granting of Philippine independence from the United States on July 4, 1946.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Philippines

The flag is displayed with the blue field on top in times of peace, and with the red field on top in times of war.

Thank you very much pangga for your contribution. That is something I never would have thought of, had you not brought the subject to mind. We know about flying the US flag upside down, to signify distress, but a symmetrical layout allows you to signify something else when the flag is inverted. Blue for peace, red for war. Do you know if the war flag has been displayed since WWII?

--Bullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Timeline
Mother Spain and the ugly Americans....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your Spanish arrogance is outdated but amusing as hell. Please continue.

Hail Spain!

¡Callate la boca, pobre desgraciado! ¿Por qué cambiaste la palabra? La palabra no es "ugly" sino "Ugly". Parece que tu cerebro esta vacío igual que los otros ... :thumbs:

Any more personal attacks will result in action being taken by VJ moderation. Just because it isn't in English doesn't mean we can't read it or get it translated. ;)

Mira, perrita, you can do whatever your heart desires, you could even recall my just lifted suspension, I don't care. I don't get any benefit from VJ membership and am tired of dealing with half-witted destitutes like you. But I wish that VJ moderation be fair and equitable in treating members. I plead that penalties be imposed on those azzhole phantoms and trolls who consistently ridicule my fellow Filipinas. You know what I'm talking about and you know who are these idiots. ¡Salud! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Arriba, Besame Mucho! Damn them Ugly People! :star::star::star:

The flag is displayed with the blue field on top in times of peace, and with the red field on top in times of war.

Thank you very much pangga for your contribution. That is something I never would have thought of, had you not brought the subject to mind. We know about flying the US flag upside down, to signify distress, but a symmetrical layout allows you to signify something else when the flag is inverted. Blue for peace, red for war. Do you know if the war flag has been displayed since WWII?

--Bullwinkle

I'll have to look for more info. I remembered this one too because sometimes, me and my fiance will discuss some history of the Phils too and I am amazed by his knowledge about it. I told him, I really didnt like History subject during High school because our teacher only required us to memorize dates and names. It felt so boring...haha.

~Baby

VIII. EPILOGUE

It took the United States more than three years to defeat the army of the first Philippine Republic. However, the outcome of the war was never in doubt, mainly because the United States enjoyed tremendous military advantages.

In numbers alone, the U.S. was superior. Although there were only 20,032 enlisted men and 819 officers in the U.S. Expeditionary Force in the Philippines as of January 31, 1899, more troops arrived in subsequent months. By April 16, 1902, more than 120,000 American soldiers had fought or served in the Philippines. Even more superior were the arms used by the Americans, who were well-equipped. U.S. warships were on the coast, ready to fire their big guns when needed.

In contrast, the Filipino arms were a motley of rifles. Some had been supplied by the Americans during the Spanish-American War, others smuggled in by Filipino patriots, seized from the Spanish army, or taken from American soldiers. Artillery was likewise limited. Most of their cannons were captured from the Spaniards. Many Filipino soldiers did not even have guns, but used spears, lances and bolos (big knives) in fighting. Filipino soldiers also lacked military training. They did manage to win some small battlefield encounters, but these only delayed the ultimate victory for the Americans. Their resistance did not arouse public opinion in America against the U.S. military campaigns in the Philippines to the same degree that American public opinion forced the United States to withdraw from the Vietnam War more than 70 years later. Nevertheless, the United States had to pay a very high price, more than 4,000 American soldiers' lives. One of them was Major General Henry C. Lawton, who was killed in the Battle of San Mateo on December 23, 1899. He was the highest-ranking U.S. military officer to be killed in action in the Philippine-American War. The U.S. government also spent about $600 million in all.

Souce

Hokey Smoke!

sunsoldiers.jpgSan Isidro, Luzon, Philippine Islands -- May 6, 1899 One month after the Spanish-American War began an expeditionary force sailed from San Francisco to the Philippine Islands. Because most of the Regular Army was in Cuba and Puerto Rico, three-quarters of the first 10,000 U.S. Army troops to arrive in the Philippines were National Guardsmen, most of them from the West and Midwest. The Spanish surrendered quickly, but the Guardsmen soon had another enemy: Filipinos fighting for their independence.

In the spring of 1899 the 1st north Dakota Infantry was part of an expedition to clean our Insurgent strongholds north of Manila. When a civilian named Henry Young organized an elite scouting and reconnaissance force, 16 North Dakotans were selected for this detail, which also included four men from the 2d Oregon. Of Young and his 25 Scouts one historian wrote "Always in front of the main column, the scouts bore the brunt of the advance, reconnoitering and maintaining contact with the enemy."

On May 13, a reconnaissance party ran into a band of about 300 Insurgents. Without hesitation 11 Scouts charged the Filipinos and routed them; Young himself was mortally wounded. Three days later, while reconnoitering for water, the Scouts discovered that the Insurgents had set an important bridge on fire. Knowing the river below as unfordable, the 22 Scouts rushed the bridge and put out the flames, despite an enfilading fire from some 600 Insurgents. Supported by the 2d Oregon, the Scouts then drove the Insurgents from their trenches.

Fourteen Guardsmen were awarded the Medal of Honor during the first year of the Philippine Insurrection. Of that 14, ten were members of Young's Scouts, decorated for their actions on 13 and 16 May 1899. Seven men were from the 1st North Dakota and three from the 2d Oregon. Today, the 1st North Dakota is perpetuated by the 164th Engineer Group and the 141st Engineer Battalion North Dakota Army National Guard, and the 2d Oregon by the 162d Infantry Regiment Oregon Army National Guard.

Source

Hokey Smoke!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.