Krikit

Come Again?

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
What I find odd is in Canada, all the food/dairy products say "Expires on" or "Expiration date" which means the item is not best after such date. But down here, everything says "sell by" such and such date. So the stores need to sell it by that date, but when does in then expire? A week later? Few days later? I thought that was strange.

I HATE that...it makes no sense to me...

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
What I find odd is in Canada, all the food/dairy products say "Expires on" or "Expiration date" which means the item is not best after such date. But down here, everything says "sell by" such and such date. So the stores need to sell it by that date, but when does in then expire? A week later? Few days later? I thought that was strange.

I know! I get really confused by that, too, so I went and looked it up on the USDA site.

Oh crumbs. :hehe: It didn't maintain the formatting in the cut-and-paste, so I've deleted it. If you go to the link and scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find the chart on how to determine how long a product is good for.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I HATE that...it makes no sense to me...

Exactly, you're supposed to figure out when it expires? It makes so much more sense to post an expiration date rather than a sell by date, that only helps the stores not the consumer!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I know! I get really confused by that, too, so I went and looked it up on the USDA site.

Oh crumbs. :hehe: It didn't maintain the formatting in the cut-and-paste, so I've deleted it. If you go to the link and scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find the chart on how to determine how long a product is good for.

except milk ain't on there..... :angry:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

except milk ain't on there..... :angry:

What the heck kind of Food Safety organization is that? :bonk:

Personally, I would never use a perishable product beyond the Sell By date. I'm a little too squeamish to take risks like that. In fact, "Living on the Edge" to me means eating something just before the Sell-By date. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Speaking of language and the British, my great-grandmother (born in 1899) was from England. She came over to the U.S. before she hit her teens.

She forced herself to drop her accent since kids were making fun of her and making her life a living hell while at school. I think it's sad she felt she has to do that. While I prefer many of the American spellings and sayings to the British ones, I don't think changing everything about the way you speak is a necessity.

Timeline
Speaking of language and the British, my great-grandmother (born in 1899) was from England. She came over to the U.S. before she hit her teens.

She forced herself to drop her accent since kids were making fun of her and making her life a living hell while at school. I think it's sad she felt she has to do that. While I prefer many of the American spellings and sayings to the British ones, I don't think changing everything about the way you speak is a necessity.

my mother tells a similar story.. they immigrated to Canada (from England) when she was 8).. mum said the first day of school she came home and her mother couldn't understand a word she was saying.. The bit that makes the story even funnier is that they moved to Tiverton, NS a little tiny fishing community on an island off the South West coast.. if you can picture THAT accent on a little English girl it cracks me up every time.. :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Personally, I would never use a perishable product beyond the Sell By date. I'm a little too squeamish to take risks like that. In fact, "Living on the Edge" to me means eating something just before the Sell-By date. :lol:

Well this is interesting.

With milk (the stuff we buy anyway), it has a date on it that doesn't say, 'best before' or 'sell by' - so I just kind of assumed with dairy products that the date they provide is the 'best by' date (which for milk we bought on Saturday is February 4th).

We currently have 'market pantry' milk - from target.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

my mother tells a similar story.. they immigrated to Canada (from England) when she was 8).. mum said the first day of school she came home and her mother couldn't understand a word she was saying.. The bit that makes the story even funnier is that they moved to Tiverton, NS a little tiny fishing community on an island off the South West coast.. if you can picture THAT accent on a little English girl it cracks me up every time.. :)

I remember when we moved to Australia when I was a kid and just remember I was always failing my spelling in school. Teacher must have thought I was retarded or something, but after awhile it was because I couldn't understand the Aussie accents that well. How the hell is one supposed to spell "GRUS" when the teacher speaks it out loud. Like I'm supposed to just guess it's grass.

Another funny story was there was this sticky thing people were putting it on each other, kid besides me puts it on my head and says "put it on Ben". So I turn and put it on Ben. Ben and ther other kid got mad that I did that. How was I supposed to know that what he really said was "Put it in the bin (garbage)". All the joys of accents and different dialect...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I generally find that with milk the 'sell before 'date is the same date that it goes sour - if not before! so that seems to be its expiry date. I find it hilarious to go to the store and see milk that is set to expire the following day on sale for $1.99 - like you would have to drink a lot of milk quickly for that to be any bargain. The same with meat - the sell by date is the date I use to consider the meat still safe. If I know I will be using it that night I will buy it on the date before it's sell by date, but that is only if it looks good. I have seen meat that is discoloured and pretty gross looking that is still within its sell by date - on sale. Like, who buys that stuff?

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Another funny story was there was this sticky thing people were putting it on each other, kid besides me puts it on my head and says "put it on Ben". So I turn and put it on Ben. Ben and ther other kid got mad that I did that. How was I supposed to know that what he really said was "Put it in the bin (garbage)". All the joys of accents and different dialect...

:lol:

It is if you don't want to be the target in a schoolyard smackdown. :hehe:

I remember when we moved to Australia when I was a kid and just remember I was always failing my spelling in school. Teacher must have thought I was retarded or something, but after awhile it was because I couldn't understand the Aussie accents that well. How the hell is one supposed to spell "GRUS" when the teacher speaks it out loud. Like I'm supposed to just guess it's grass.

:lol::lol: :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

:lol: Gold! :lol:

Timeline
Semi: I say Sem-ee, he says Sem-eye.

And North of 60 is a classic Canadiana TV show starring Tina Keeper and Tom Jackson!

This topic is quite entertaining! I remember telling my friends in Michigan that I was driving and a "transport truck" tried to merge into my lane (and into me). They all looked at me with quizzical expressions until someone asked, "A semi truck?"

Oh. Yea. Guess they don't say transport truck there!

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still trying to teach my fiance how to speak Canadian.

He pronounces Canuck as "Canook" every time, which is a problem, since I'm from Vancouver and like hockey...

Also, funny story: We were driving one day and he pronounced W as "dub-ya". I asked him what two "yas" look like and he looked at me like I was crazy. I then had to explain that W is pronounced "double-you" because it looks like two "U's". He was shocked that he didn't know that and said that he always thought the letter was "dub-ya" because that's how all of his teachers pronounced it. However, he later looked it up on dictionary.com and they now have an alternate pronounciation... I blame Bush for this.

What the hell does "I reckon" mean? Is it a yes, probably, or maybe?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.