CJ Vasani

K3 to CR1 flip unsuccessful

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
Yes, the applicant can obtain both visas. The medical is the same. Just get the vaccinations in addition to the medical, as you would for the CR1 visa.

In general, I'm getting the impression that for "appointment posts" the "flipping" is significantly more complicated in that NVC doesn't simply forward the case file when the case is complete like they do with a non-appointment post. As such, I wouldn't contact the Consulate. Instead, I would show up for the interview and mention the CR1 case being on station, when I was already there. They should then be able to find the case file and issue the immigrant visa upon a successful interview.

Damn good advice...same as in the LingChe guide...

Once NVC completes the case, the beneficiary should NOT contact the embassy/consulate to request that they change the already scheduled K-3 interview for a CR-1/IR-1.

Instead, contact a supervisor at NVC, and request that your completed package be expeditiously sent to the embassy/consulate. This strategy is not guaranteed, It will vary by embassy.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
During the K-3 interview, if beneficiary's request for CR1 visa is denied or if I-130 case has not yet reached the consulate, can the beneficiary receive the K-3 visa and then again report to the CR1 visa interview? In that case, will they then grant a CR1 visa knowing the fact that the beneficiary has already received a K-3 visa?

Also, can a physician conduct the medical exam for CR1 visa as the criteria (and hence, giving vaccinations if required) using the K-3 interivew letter?

If the above is possible without any issues, I would be fine with couple weeks of waiting more in India rather than too much worrying about the possibility of unsuccessful switch.

Yes, the applicant can obtain both visas. The medical is the same. Just get the vaccinations in addition to the medical, as you would for the CR1 visa.

In general, I'm getting the impression that for "appointment posts" the "flipping" is significantly more complicated in that NVC doesn't simply forward the case file when the case is complete like they do with a non-appointment post. As such, I wouldn't contact the Consulate. Instead, I would show up for the interview and mention the CR1 case being on station, when I was already there. They should then be able to find the case file and issue the immigrant visa upon a successful interview.

pushbrk, I appreciate your input. I was hoping to see a reply from you when I posted my questions. Your approach about not contacting consulate is perfect when the I-130 case reaches the consulate before our K-3 interview. As of now, we are waiting for our I-130 interview to be scheduled which will most likely be scheduled in February. We have a K-3 interview in beginning of March and hence, have a slight chance that our I-130 case would not reach the consulate prior to the K-3 interview.

I have few questions and would appreciate if you could offer your advice on them:

1. In our situation described above, should we contact consulate to request NVC to forward our I-130 case (so that it surely reaches consulate prior to our K-3 interview date)? Or would you rather advise not to contact the consualte at all?

2. You mentioned that we can obtain both visas. If beneficiary does not receive CR1 visa during K-3 interview and goes to CR1 interview, would he/she need to do the entire interview or is it only matter of signing DS-230 Part II and obtaining the visa? What should be done about the medical packet that we would have submitted during the K-3 interview and hence, no longer have it during the CR1 interview?

3. Is there any possibility where beneficiary receives K-3 visa but is denied for CR1 visa? I am trying to evaluate whether it would be worthwhile to wait for CR1 interview or come to US using K-3 visa if beneficiary cannot obtain CR1 during K-3 interview.

Sorry about asking too many questions but this would help me and others to resolve some of the confusion.

Thanks.

I would contact NVC directly and request the case be sent to the Consulate.

If denied the K3 visa, the reason for denial would need to be addressed, as it would also impact the CR1 visa decision. Of course, there would be a second interview but there is no set script. It could be short or long.

Yes, obtaining the K3 visa can be followed by a CR1 denial, which would invalidate the K3. This would be rare but certainly possible.

For other readers, and for the umpteenth time, "If you want an immigrant visa, don't file an I-129F for spouse."

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Damn good advice...same as in the LingChe guide...

Once NVC completes the case, the beneficiary should NOT contact the embassy/consulate to request that they change the already scheduled K-3 interview for a CR-1/IR-1.

Instead, contact a supervisor at NVC, and request that your completed package be expeditiously sent to the embassy/consulate. This strategy is not guaranteed, It will vary by embassy.

Is there a version of this guide applicable to a non-appointment post?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I haven't been able to locate any guide on VJ or elsewhere that is specific to "non-appointment posts".

Please elaborate. Also, please note the reason for the WIKI is so that YOU can contribute.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
During the K-3 interview, if beneficiary's request for CR1 visa is denied or if I-130 case has not yet reached the consulate, can the beneficiary receive the K-3 visa and then again report to the CR1 visa interview? In that case, will they then grant a CR1 visa knowing the fact that the beneficiary has already received a K-3 visa?

Also, can a physician conduct the medical exam for CR1 visa as the criteria (and hence, giving vaccinations if required) using the K-3 interivew letter?

If the above is possible without any issues, I would be fine with couple weeks of waiting more in India rather than too much worrying about the possibility of unsuccessful switch.

pushbrk, I appreciate your input. I was hoping to see a reply from you when I posted my questions. Your approach about not contacting consulate is perfect when the I-130 case reaches the consulate before our K-3 interview. As of now, we are waiting for our I-130 interview to be scheduled which will most likely be scheduled in February. We have a K-3 interview in beginning of March and hence, have a slight chance that our I-130 case would not reach the consulate prior to the K-3 interview.

I have few questions and would appreciate if you could offer your advice on them:

1. In our situation described above, should we contact consulate to request NVC to forward our I-130 case (so that it surely reaches consulate prior to our K-3 interview date)? Or would you rather advise not to contact the consualte at all?

2. You mentioned that we can obtain both visas. If beneficiary does not receive CR1 visa during K-3 interview and goes to CR1 interview, would he/she need to do the entire interview or is it only matter of signing DS-230 Part II and obtaining the visa? What should be done about the medical packet that we would have submitted during the K-3 interview and hence, no longer have it during the CR1 interview?

3. Is there any possibility where beneficiary receives K-3 visa but is denied for CR1 visa? I am trying to evaluate whether it would be worthwhile to wait for CR1 interview or come to US using K-3 visa if beneficiary cannot obtain CR1 during K-3 interview.

Sorry about asking too many questions but this would help me and others to resolve some of the confusion.

Thanks.

I would contact NVC directly and request the case be sent to the Consulate.

If denied the K3 visa, the reason for denial would need to be addressed, as it would also impact the CR1 visa decision. Of course, there would be a second interview but there is no set script. It could be short or long.

Yes, obtaining the K3 visa can be followed by a CR1 denial, which would invalidate the K3. This would be rare but certainly possible.

For other readers, and for the umpteenth time, "If you want an immigrant visa, don't file an I-129F for spouse."

pushbrk, thank you for the clarification. That cleared a lot of confusion. I will evaluate whether it would be best to just take K-3 and come to US if not given CR1 visa or take another chance at CR1 interview.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Filed: Timeline
I am trying to do the same flip, I emailed the embassy in Amman, Jordan last night, still waiting for answer, somebody in the embassy told me before that it is perfectly fine to do the flip as long as they get the file before the K3 interview, NVC told me that they sent the file on Jan 6th, so hopefully the file made it to Jordan already!!

K3 interview 2-2

CR1 interview 2-19

My flip is successful, the embassy in amman responded to me and said that my wife can interview on the 2nd for CR1 :) I am so happy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I am trying to do the same flip, I emailed the embassy in Amman, Jordan last night, still waiting for answer, somebody in the embassy told me before that it is perfectly fine to do the flip as long as they get the file before the K3 interview, NVC told me that they sent the file on Jan 6th, so hopefully the file made it to Jordan already!!

K3 interview 2-2

CR1 interview 2-19

My flip is successful, the embassy in amman responded to me and said that my wife can interview on the 2nd for CR1 :) I am so happy

:thumbs:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

It's rarely simple, but never impossible.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline

I have asked the Mumbai Consulate to request our CR-1 case file so that I can switch interview. I hope that they honor our request and that is all I can do. After speaking to a number of NVC supervisors, they can not send the file unless the Consulate requests it. I am glad for those who were successfully able to get the NVC to send it.

Thanks for everyone's input. All I can conclude is that getting a successful switch is simply a matter of chance and hope that the Consulate person you're speaking to is on board. You need to ask confidently and clearly, hope for the best, be prepared that nothing will happen and be happy regardless of what happens.

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

I-130 APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

Generate AOS Bill- 12/18/08

E-mail DS-3032- NA

Mail Hard Copy DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

AOS Bill Marked 'Paid'- 12/31/08

Generate IV Bill- 12/18/08

IV Bill Marked "Paid"- 12/31/08

Send AOS Package- 12/31/08

Send IV Pacakge- 12/31/08

NVC Receive AOS Package- 1/2/09

NVC Receive IV Package- 1/2/09

NVC Case Complete- 1/22/09

Wife Completes Medical- 2/7/09

NVC Schedules CR-1 Case- 2/10/09

Wife Submits documents for K-3 Interview- 2/12/09

NVC Sends Case to Mumbai Consulate- 2/18/09

Case arrives in Mumbai- 2/23/09

Consulate confirms willingness to issue CR-1 on K-3 interview date- 2/23/09

Original K-3 interview, but APPROVED for CR-1 as file arrived in time!!- 2/26/09

Original CR-1 Interview, assumed to be cancelled as not necessary- 3/5/09

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

I-129F APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

I-129F Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

NVC Send Case to Mumbai Consulate- 12/17/08

Consulate Receives Case- 12/20/08

Consulate Send Packet 3- 12/22/08

Wife Send Packet 3 to Consulate- 12/25/08

Consulate Receive Packet 3- 1/2/09

Consulate Schedules Interview, sends Packet 4- 1/2/09

Wife Receives Packet 4, K-3 Leg Complete- 1/13/09

Timeline

I haven't been able to locate any guide on VJ or elsewhere that is specific to "non-appointment posts".

Please elaborate. Also, please note the reason for the WIKI is so that YOU can contribute.

NVC's role is more extensive with appointment posts because they make the appointment in behalf of the Consulate.

For a post such as Guangzhou, the Consulate itself makes the appointments and to my knowledge NVC's role is not so extensive. I don't know the latest details for those who will interview at a non-appointment post but I suspect they will closely match the earlier James' shortcuts from payment and DS 230 forward.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

NVC's role is more extensive with appointment posts because they make the appointment in behalf of the Consulate.

For a post such as Guangzhou, the Consulate itself makes the appointments and to my knowledge NVC's role is not so extensive. I don't know the latest details for those who will interview at a non-appointment post but I suspect they will closely match the earlier James' shortcuts from payment and DS 230 forward.

I think you meant "ON behalf of the Consulate or Embassy". Consulate and Embassy, while similar, are not the same thing.

As for the 2 types of processing, I still can not find a reference to "non-appointment posts". I see that James's Shorcuts (which has many outdated links) refers to "Standard and Appointment Posts Processing". Note that it appears most countries are Appoinment Posts as opposed to Standard (probably makes sense to the government).

The LingChe guide is based on Appointment Posts Processing. However, I have added the following at the top of the guide.

* There are 2 types of processing, Standard & Appointment Post. Most countries are Appointment Post, whereas some (such as China) are Standard.

This guide is based on processing for Appointment Post Embassies and Consulates.

* Standard NVC processing will generally still have to obtain the same documents, but they will be brought to the embassy, which will provide the instructions as to those documents after it sets the interview date.

* Contact NVC to determine if your case is Standard processing or Appointment Post processing.

Again, if there's something you feel is incorrect in the guide, please don't hesitate to make a correction or bring it to my attention.

Also, can you elaborate on how your question regarding "standard processing" applies to the OP's question which is about "appointment post processing"?

I'm happy to have this dialogue with you about the LingChe guide, but I feel that such dialogue in this thread may add confusion, and not be in the best interest of the OP or those viewing the thread.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline

If my wife gets her medical report done now, how long is it valid for?

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

E-mail DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

Original K-3 interview, but APPROVED for CR-1 as file arrived in time!!- 2/26/09

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Sanket,

Did you ask mumbai consulate to request your CR1 file from NVC? Any update?

U.S. Passport

xx-xx-2012: Passport application sent

I-130 petition for Sibling

07-19-2012: Sent I-130 via Priority mail

07-23-2012: I-130 received by PHX lbx (forwarded to california)

07-23-2012: Priority date

07-30-2012: I-797 receipt received

1. CR1 [Completed: 2009/Total Days: 325]

2. ROC [Completed: 2011/Total Days: 222]

3. CITIZENSHIP [Completed: 2012/Total Days: 125]

4. US PASSPORT [Completed: 2012/Total Days: ]

Timeline

They said they can't request the file from the NVC. But said that if the CR-1 gets there before the K-3 interview date they'd be willing to make a switch.

Does anyone know how long the medical report would be valid for? I tried to check the medical instructions but can't find anything in there.

Sanket,

Did you ask mumbai consulate to request your CR1 file from NVC? Any update?

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

E-mail DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

Timeline

I think you meant "ON behalf of the Consulate or Embassy". Consulate and Embassy, while similar, are not the same thing.

As for the 2 types of processing, I still can not find a reference to "non-appointment posts". I see that James's Shorcuts (which has many outdated links) refers to "Standard and Appointment Posts Processing". Note that it appears most countries are Appoinment Posts as opposed to Standard (probably makes sense to the government).

The LingChe guide is based on Appointment Posts Processing. However, I have added the following at the top of the guide.

* There are 2 types of processing, Standard & Appointment Post. Most countries are Appointment Post, whereas some (such as China) are Standard.

This guide is based on processing for Appointment Post Embassies and Consulates.

* Standard NVC processing will generally still have to obtain the same documents, but they will be brought to the embassy, which will provide the instructions as to those documents after it sets the interview date.

* Contact NVC to determine if your case is Standard processing or Appointment Post processing.

Again, if there's something you feel is incorrect in the guide, please don't hesitate to make a correction or bring it to my attention.

Also, can you elaborate on how your question regarding "standard processing" applies to the OP's question which is about "appointment post processing"?

I'm happy to have this dialogue with you about the LingChe guide, but I feel that such dialogue in this thread may add confusion, and not be in the best interest of the OP or those viewing the thread.

First, the people who deal with visas are employed by the "Consular Services". Embassies always contain a "Consulate", so some Consulates are contained inside an Embassy but most are not. I simply choose to refer to them all as Consulates, since that's the section and services that concern our purposes.

Yes, "Standard" is the correct term. More and more Consulates are moving to the "appointment" model.

My question doesn't apply to the OP. I noticed the LingChe guide only covers appointment post procedures for NVC. Soon I'll be assisting a family member through NVC and onward to to a Standard Post, so am looking for the same kind of up to date excellent guidance for doing so as is available now for Appointment Posts.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.