12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

I am really clear on the NOA1 and 2 and Packet 3 and 4 + interview.... but is the NVC anything?

what is the NVC exactly and where is it? What happens there? How long does your k1 stay there? Is there any way to know when it heads out again?

Thanks very much and sorry for the naive question! :blush:

Grahm&Sarah

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

once your I-129F petition is approved (NOA2) USCIS hands off your file to the NVC (National Visa Center) the NVC does additional background check if necessary, this step can be held up for maybe 2-4 weeks (sometimes), then after the checks the NVC then sends your file to the designated consulate where you will have your interview.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Background checks happen at NVC stage and, according to their employee I talked to the other day (and maybe even the forum here itself) , they seem to be happening more often these days.

It's called Administrative Processing, a.k.a. AP and it takes anything from a few days to a few months. Or maybe even forever, because the only information they will give you is - timeframe is indefinite.

Nobody knows what exactly happens there, or why. Or whether or not it affects the outcome of your interview.

Right now, some kind of average processing time for this AP mystery is 6-7 weeks. According to people who have been through it recently and happen to be members of this forum, of course. Otherwise, it's all unknown.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Timeline
Background checks happen at NVC stage and, according to their employee I talked to the other day (and maybe even the forum here itself) , they seem to be happening more often these days.

It's called Administrative Processing, a.k.a. AP and it takes anything from a few days to a few months. Or maybe even forever, because the only information they will give you is - timeframe is indefinite.

Nobody knows what exactly happens there, or why. Or whether or not it affects the outcome of your interview.

Right now, some kind of average processing time for this AP mystery is 6-7 weeks. According to people who have been through it recently and happen to be members of this forum, of course. Otherwise, it's all unknown.

OK 2 more questions

1) if the NVC does the background checks, what exactly does the USCIS do?

2) has anyone ever had a case denied or sent back by the NVC AFTER it was approved by the USCIS?

Timeline

OK 2 more questions

2) has anyone ever had a case denied or sent back by the NVC AFTER it was approved by the USCIS?

Uhh. I'm far from some expert, so here are my (#######)shots:

1) USCIS does all the work that either approves or denies a petition. What exactly those things are, I am not really sure. Probably has to do with the petitioner's status (married/notmarried, USC/notUSC, etc.) I am not really sure they have the ability to check anything concerning the beneficiary. Of course, they make sure all the submitted paperwork is sufficient, too and that it meets the requirements.

2) NVC doesn't do much, I assume, if a case gets received and forwarded within the regular timeframe (a few days, as much as I've noticed). If a case gets stuck, it is for a reason basically never disclosed. I would assume that, for some people, something pops up that requires further and more detailed research (name, the same or similar to someone else's, whatever red flags.. blabla..). On top of that, I also asume that a whole lot of petitions end up being stuck in AP - at random. Those probably just sit on someone's desk until they remember to forward them to where they belong.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

OK 2 more questions

1) USCIS does all the work that either approves or denies a petition. What exactly those things are, I am not really sure. Probably has to do with the petitioner's status (married/notmarried, USC/notUSC, etc.) I am not really sure they have the ability to check anything concerning the beneficiary. Of course, they make sure all the submitted paperwork is sufficient, too and that it meets the requirements.

2) NVC doesn't do much, I assume, if a case gets received and forwarded within the regular timeframe (a few days, as much as I've noticed). If a case gets stuck, it is for a reason basically never disclosed. I would assume that, for some people, something pops up that requires further and more detailed research (name, the same or similar to someone else's, whatever red flags.. blabla..). On top of that, I also asume that a whole lot of petitions end up being stuck in AP - at random. Those probably just sit on someone's desk until they remember to forward them to where they belong.

Badgerella, are you saying that the NVC is background checking the USC or the beneficiary at this point? Can AP happen during the USCIS stage as well as at the NVC stage? thanx

Jonas

Timeline

OK 2 more questions

Badgerella, are you saying that the NVC is background checking the USC or the beneficiary at this point? Can AP happen during the USCIS stage as well as at the NVC stage? thanx

Jonas

Hi, yes, this is what I want to know too...when is the FBI background check done on the USC?

Timeline

I don't really know. NVC probably checks both. FBI, I also don't know.

It all makes way too little sense to me, I'm sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

the USC BG check form my understanding is done at USCIS and a secondary "red flag" check at NVC.

They also run the beneficiary at NVC, except for Russia, I think they do this at the embassy since Rus doesnt give out that info too freely.

I know that Rus runs both people at the embassy as well through their systems.

There are checks at any stage, USCIS, NVC, and more on occasion at the Embassy.

NVC cannot deny.

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

As cdneh stated, there are security checks at every stage of this process. Each is different and each can hold anyone up for any length of time.

National Visa Center is located in New Hampshire, therefore, Vermont filers tend to get there faster. Normally, an approved petition (I-797) is there only a matter of days for processing and shipped to the appropriate Embassy via DHL in a very short time period. It does seem that more and more people are getting held up in security checks at NVC but it could just be that more of us are so aware of the process and are paying closer attention too. ;)

There are security checks even after the interview and final approval. This is why you are told not to plan anything until that visa is in your passport and in your hand.

The majority of people don't seem to get stuck too long but the idea of it alone adding more time to the process is daunting. :(

good luck

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.