TandK

Other name on birth certificate different from the one in the passport!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i am august '08 k-1 vermout filer and the other name on my birth certificate is diff from the other name in my passport , school records. i was wondering if this mite be a problem at the interview stage.i.e i have been usin the birth certificate for applications to other countries like UK and France. Guyss let me know wat's up!!...thanxxs

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
i am august '08 k-1 vermout filer and the other name on my birth certificate is diff from the other name in my passport , school records. i was wondering if this mite be a problem at the interview stage.i.e i have been usin the birth certificate for applications to other countries like UK and France. Guyss let me know wat's up!!...thanxxs

Why is the name different? Did you legally change your name? If so, include proof of name change. Did you send birth certificate AND passport to the USCIS already?

Grahm&Sarah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Why is the name different? Did you legally change your name? If so, include proof of name change. Did you send birth certificate AND passport to the USCIS already?

Grahm&Sarah

Why would they send their birth certificate and passport to USCIS?

To the OP: I'm not sure what the "other" name you are talking about is. Is it your first/middle/last name?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

Also, different how? For instance if birth certificate says William Howard Taft and passport says William H. Taft, no problem. If the passport says Howard K. Smith then we have a big problem. If birth certificate shows maiden name Taft and divorce certificate indicates Mary Taft divoced Howard Smith and passport name is Mary Smith, again probably no problem.

What's the story?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

Also, different how? For instance if birth certificate says William Howard Taft and passport says William H. Taft, no problem. If the passport says Howard K. Smith then we have a big problem. If birth certificate shows maiden name Taft and divorce certificate indicates Mary Taft divoced Howard Smith and passport name is Mary Smith, again probably no problem.

What's the story?

well, its the middle name on the birth certificate that is different...not for any other reason, i just didnt like the middle name and like 12yrs ago i started usin one of my other numerous other names given to me by my parents(i av a couple of other names but not indicated in the birth certificate). i am the beneficiary of the K-1 visa. i av used this same birth certificate to apply for visas to the UK and France years ago nd i still renew my visas wit it and also all my school records, drivers liscense and certifications have the "new" middle name on it. i just want to knw since i av never applied for any form of American visa if this would be an issue. My first name still remains the same!...thanxxss

Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

What's the story?

well, its the middle name on the birth certificate that is different...not for any other reason, i just didnt like the middle name and like 12yrs ago i started usin one of my other numerous other names given to me by my parents(i av a couple of other names but not indicated in the birth certificate). i am the beneficiary of the K-1 visa. i av used this same birth certificate to apply for visas to the UK and France years ago nd i still renew my visas wit it and also all my school records, drivers liscense and certifications have the "new" middle name on it. i just want to knw since i av never applied for any form of American visa if this would be an issue. My first name still remains the same!...thanxxss

If your first and family name remain the same, I doubt there will be any issue. You might want a notarized affidavit from a parent explaining how and why the change took place, just in case.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

What's the story?

If your first and family name remain the same, I doubt there will be any issue. You might want a notarized affidavit from a parent explaining how and why the change took place, just in case.

Thanks so much! am hoping i get my approval this week (NOA1 is 14th of August). thanks again! ....VSC wake up!!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

What's the story?

pushbrk, what is your opinion or knowledge on those who changed their name legally from their birth certificate? If the birth certificate needs to be shown at the consulate, would it be better to send in the beginning to the USCIS as to not confuse the consulate or better later? Do you think a legal name change (with proof) would result in delays and two separate background checks?

Edited by Grahm&Sarah

Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

What's the story?

pushbrk, what is your opinion or knowledge on those who changed their name legally from their birth certificate? If the birth certificate needs to be shown at the consulate, would it be better to send in the beginning to the USCIS as to not confuse the consulate or better later? Do you think a legal name change (with proof) would result in delays and two separate background checks?

Legal name changes should be documented with the petition. They would probably require separate name checks if done after age 16, but I doubt that would cause a delay unless there was a hit on one of the names, particularly the earlier one.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.